Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS:
1. Some sort of federation run by the Europeans or something.
That's not really much of an answer. Even if we assume there is some grand, unified European federation, despite it not being shown on the map, why would this lead to Europe keeping its colonies, why would control of the African continent still be explicitly divided between countries, and why would all of Europe be so hellbent on keeping the colonies if it requires the entire continent's commitment and resources to keep them under control?

That's not really much of an answer. Even if we assume there is some grand, unified European federation, despite it not being shown on the map, why would this lead to Europe keeping its colonies, why would control of the African continent still be explicitly divided between countries, and why would all of Europe be so hellbent on keeping the colonies if it requires the entire continent's commitment and resources to keep them under control?
I agree that his answer is kind of vague... but I don't think he meant really a unified federation, maybe more like a UN kinda deal- except ITTL it's conservative (potentially very racist) and this gives it the motivation to keep a firm grip on Africa? Also, by isolating Africa from access to much technology and outside influence they can effectively keep control with few resources being committed- it's just a matter of everyone agreeing to keep it that way. Certainly not the most plausible, but this is the only way I could think of it happening.

So quick question - Since Map Thread XX will probably start in a couple of weeks, would anyone be interested in seeing a "Most Popular" list for XIX? A quick scan of the first 50 pgs of this thread has shown that there's going to be _a lot_ of maps with 40+ likes, so I figured it might be worthwhile to start compiling the list now - especially in order to have it ready for posting on either the 1st or 2nd pg of the next thread. Thanks!

Eparkhos

Banned
So quick question - Since Map Thread XX will probably start in a couple of weeks, would anyone be interested in seeing a "Most Popular" list for XIX? A quick scan of the first 50 pgs of this thread has shown that there's going to be _a lot_ of maps with 40+ likes, so I figured it might be worthwhile to start compiling the list now - especially in order to have it ready for posting on either the 1st or 2nd pg of the next thread. Thanks!
Sure!

View attachment 555329
Yet another alt history map cooked up in Scratch, this one set in an alternate 2020.
I know you have many questions.
Of my many questions, I'm going to just ask this- how on Earth does Japan control so much? Historically, nobody really backed Japan gaining any territory (even after WW1 the Japanese felt slighted by the Allies because they got loads of small islands but only a few really valuable concessions). Actually, in a scenario like this, where Japan apparently goes on a WW2-esque rampage in the Pacific, but Europe (based on appearances) doesn't go through a Second World War, I would think Japan would get shut down hard. The UK, USA, Netherlands, and France would all throw everything they've got into opposing Japanese expansion into the Pacific (aside from the general trend of racism at the time, the UK and US had such a powerful position in the Pacific they would stop at nothing to keep Japan from becoming a major player). And that's not even considering the resistance they would face in China- OTL the Japanese didn't even manage to completely defeat the Chinese. That's probably my biggest question about this map, because I can see some trend of über-white nationalism taking hold in Europe and leading to them continuing to occupy Africa, but if that were the case, then they would never be happy with Japan controlling so much in the East, and at the very least would be in a state of perpetual war. That's my two cents.

I agree that his answer is kind of vague... but I don't think he meant really a unified federation, maybe more like a UN kinda deal- except ITTL it's conservative (potentially very racist) and this gives it the motivation to keep a firm grip on Africa? Also, by isolating Africa from access to much technology and outside influence they can effectively keep control with few resources being committed- it's just a matter of everyone agreeing to keep it that way. Certainly not the most plausible, but this is the only way I could think of it happening.
That still doesn't make any sense. The UN OTL can't solve the problems facing Africa nor prevent conflict between its constituent states so why would this ATL version, limited to Europe, be effective at keeping Africa under the jackboot? And furthermore, how exactly are they going to limit Africa from technology and outside influence? Africa is a big place with a lot of people and European colonial empires were dependent on those people for labor and the maintenance of their institutions. Africans are going to figure out European power structures and gain access to modern technology and weaponry, as they did OTL. Furthermore, how long is the rest of the world going to be satisfied with watching Europe bleed and loot an entire continent? If there's any state on the globe that's ideologically predisposed toward human rights in any capacity, there's going to be increased disgust with the state of affairs. More importantly, a lot of countries, particularly those on the rise, would want to extend their influence into Africa and would be resentful of exclusive European access. The scenario is not just ASB, it's ASB to the extent that it's not even clear what the ASB did or was trying to accomplish.

Of my many questions, I'm going to just ask this- how on Earth does Japan control so much? Historically, nobody really backed Japan gaining any territory (even after WW1 the Japanese felt slighted by the Allies because they got loads of small islands but only a few really valuable concessions). Actually, in a scenario like this, where Japan apparently goes on a WW2-esque rampage in the Pacific, but Europe (based on appearances) doesn't go through a Second World War, I would think Japan would get shut down hard. The UK, USA, Netherlands, and France would all throw everything they've got into opposing Japanese expansion into the Pacific (aside from the general trend of racism at the time, the UK and US had such a powerful position in the Pacific they would stop at nothing to keep Japan from becoming a major player). And that's not even considering the resistance they would face in China- OTL the Japanese didn't even manage to completely defeat the Chinese. That's probably my biggest question about this map, because I can see some trend of über-white nationalism taking hold in Europe and leading to them continuing to occupy Africa, but if that were the case, then they would never be happy with Japan controlling so much in the East, and at the very least would be in a state of perpetual war. That's my two cents.
Alright, so.
There WAS a World War 2. Japan was on the Axis, BUT they agreed to join the Allies against the Nazis, but only if they got to keep every last shred of land they had gotten. The allies, with a "ugh, finee", relunctantly agreed.

Definitely, that would be cool to see.

I'm happy to help. Might be good for us to come up with a division of labour.

I'm new to this website so can someone explain to me why this thread will be closed?

I'm happy to help. Might be good for us to come up with a division of labour.

Thanks for the offer! Admittedly, the actual work itself isn't hard. It's just extremely tedious. So if by the end of the week I feel like the whole process is taking too long, then I will definitely message you (or anyone else who's interested) on Monday to divide up the remaining work. Thanks again!

4rzvsNn.png

Tourism map of Kangokia, alternate history Hungary which was settled by Chinese instead of Magyars.

On the map we have a few of Kangokia's sights and experiences!
  • In Szansi (Budapest), the capital city whose name means "City on a Hill" is the birthplace of Kangokia and home to the impressive Imperial Palace.
  • Szonnbor (Sopron) is home to rolling plains and beautiful scenery.
  • Szahann is a lovely spa town with a Buddhist temple and old pagoda.
  • Vudann (Pecs) is home to spicy hot pot and cuisine which fuses Mediterranean food with Far Eastern styles.
  • Piensi (Novi Sad) was famous as the sole producer of silk in its heyday, and now it is famous for the historical-style dresses it produces for tourists.
  • Setonn (Debrecen) produces a vast array of peppers and spices which are used to make dried sausage.
  • Tsimu (Eger) and Misigok (Miskolc) are great places to enjoy the view of the Carpathian mountains!

Visit today!

NOTE: I've changed the orthography of the language a little since my last post.

EDIT: Here's the lore from my last Kangokia post:

Long, long ago a group of Sinetic peoples known as the Szan were enslaved by the Khans of Central Asia, transported across a vast distance, and finally broke free somewhere in modern day Ukraine. They created their own nation, based on the only form they knew, and migrated and pillaged their way into the heart of Europe. Upon reaching the Pannonian plain, they were struck by the beauty and vulnerability of the land. When they laid eyes on the city of Pessa (modern Szansi), they also saw the first settlement they didn't wish to conquer. So the Szan people settled there and dubbed it "Szansi" (either derived from "City of Szan" or "City on a Hill"). They retained their customs but eventually converted and became part of the regular political landscape of Europe.

Their language, a descendant of Middle Chinese, has almost completely lost tones and relies on a much more rudimentary pitch tone and stress-time system (likely influenced by surrounding languages). Many final stop consonants that have been lost in modern Chinese are also present (p, t, k). Some sound shifts occurred differently, and the distinction between many sounds drifted to being voiced vs unvoiced as Kangokyu speakers became adjusted to those. The final of a syllable is also dropped when the following syllable has the same final (ie Senntonn -> Setonn)

As most of the San people were illiterate when they came to Pannonia, the language is written with the Latin alphabet - adopted when they Christianized in the 15th Century. The influence of Buddhism can still be seen in the styles of Kangok churches and monasteries, and traditional eastern Ancestor Worship is informally practiced by many through the building of family shrines inside the home (though these days they also contain Christian imagery).

Last edited:

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
WGizi3V.png

Tourism map of Kangokia, alternate history Hungary which was settled by Chinese instead of Magyars.

On the map we have a few of Kangokia's sights and experiences!
  • In Szansi (Budapest), the capital city whose name means "City on a Hill" is the birthplace of Kangokia and home to the impressive Imperial Palace.
  • Szonnbor (Sopron) is home to rolling plains and beautiful scenery.
  • Szahann is a lovely spa town with a Buddhist temple and old pagoda.
  • Vudann (Pecs) is home to spicy hot pot and cuisine which fuses Mediterranean food with Far Eastern styles.
  • Piensi (Novi Sad) was famous as the sole producer of silk in its heyday, and now it is famous for the historical-style dresses it produces for tourists.
  • Senntonn (Debrecen) produces a vast array of peppers and spices which are used to make dried sausage.
  • Tsimu (Eger) and Misigok (Miskolc) are great places to enjoy the view of the Carpathian mountains!

Visit today!

NOTE: I've changed the orthography of the language a little since my last post.

I regret that I have but one like to give for this excellent piece of cartography.

Status
Not open for further replies.