Alternate Electoral Maps III

1888 Presidential election (OTL) with equal area for each electoral vote. Harrison (in red) beat Cleveland (in blue) 233-168.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 12.09.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Please note that:

1. There is a three image per day limit.

2. Current politics, which includes 2016 and any discussion that will require touching on current politics, is prohibited outside of Chat.

Please take not of both of these requirements.

Thank you.

I have a question, just about the bolded part there, not the second bit. And idk if this would fall under nitpicking or 'rules lawyering' or any other such thing, I'm just genuinely not sure about this, and am curious, I think its come up in discussions before but I'm not sure I've seen any mod/admin statements about the stuff I'm not sure about

Anyway, on this list of the rules here (which does also say "I don't provide an exact list of things not to do. Instead, the following five principles describe how the site operates and you should behave according to those principles", so maybe its just irrelevant anyway), it says...

9. Don't post too many images that are not related to alternate history. Specifically, in the off-topic forums such as Chat and Non-Political Chat, post at most three images per thread per day. It doesn't matter whether the images are attachments or just links. (For alternate history images, be reasonable. Don't post more images than text, except in threads dedicated to images such as maps or flags).

Sometimes it seems like the 3 image limit is just applied in general, but in that list of rules, it makes it sound like the three image limit doesn't really apply to a thread like this, which is dedicated to images like maps and in the forum dedicated to maps and graphics, and that even the "don't post more images than text" thing wouldn't necessarily apply here, at least with what the rules in that particular post from the Admin says. It seems contradictory to your statement in this thread and I'm just kind of asking for clarification on the contradiction or what seems like contradiction. Whether that 'three image rule' and/or 'more images than text' rule does apply here or whether that list of rules I got from the administration forum thing means that it actually doesn't, or something

Again, sorry if this is just stupid, it was something I was curious about with what seems like a non-trivial difference between what that rules thing said and what you said here, so it feels like a not-stupid question to ask for some clarification about, not trying to be nit-picking or 'rules-lawyering' or anything, but I'm also not the sharpest bulb in the fridge so if its a dumb question, it wasn't intended as such. And again I get that the list of rules I quoted from itself states it basically isn't an exact thing, and its not like its the biggest deal either way or anything, just curious because I periodically post maps and graphics in threads dedicated to images in this maps and graphics subforum, and it would be nice to just know for sure what's up with the "three images limit" rule and the other "more images than text" rule mentioned in the rules there, and whether the stuff in the rules that makes it sound like they don't actually apply in this particular "Alternate History Maps and Graphics" subforum and threads inside it like this election maps thread is legit or not

Also sorry that that's kind of long-winded, I'm not the best doer of words

The general consensus and execution of the rule is that in a user's personal thread dedicated to maps and flags, such as any of the graphics timelines in Maps and Graphics, more than three is fine. But the rule has been enforced for a long time as not allowing more than 3 posts in any threads such as this one or the Map Thread because more than that encourages clogging of the thread by one individual when the threads are meant to be used by all users. I see how the wording can cause confusion. That being said, the application of the rule is not new and has been consistent.

The general consensus and execution of the rule is that a person personal thread dedicated to maps and flags, such as any of the graphics timelines in Maps and Graphics, then more than three is fine. But the rule has been enforced for a long time as not allowing more than 3 posts in any threads such as this one or the Map Thread because more than that encourages clogging of the thread by one individual when the threads are meant to be used by all users. I see how the wording can cause confusion. That being said, the application of the rule is not new and has been consistent.
Oh, ok, I know I've seen some talk about this before that didn't seem to reach a clear conclusion, and I'm not the most active person, so I didn't know or see that this specific application of the rule has been consistent like you said. It's something I have wondered about before, so having seen this particular incident, I just figured I'd directly ask the mod since it was still recent and all, so I could put my wonderings to rest. But if that's the way it is, then no problemo, and thanks for the clarification!

Oh, ok, I know I've seen some talk about this before that didn't seem to reach a clear conclusion, and I'm not the most active person, so I didn't know or see that this specific application of the rule has been consistent like you said. It's something I have wondered about before, so having seen this particular incident, I just figured I'd directly ask the mod since it was still recent and all, so I could put my wonderings to rest. But if that's the way it is, then no problemo, and thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, and ultimately a mod can give you a more definite answer!

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The general consensus and execution of the rule is that in a user's personal thread dedicated to maps and flags, such as any of the graphics timelines in Maps and Graphics, more than three is fine. But the rule has been enforced for a long time as not allowing more than 3 posts in any threads such as this one or the Map Thread because more than that encourages clogging of the thread by one individual when the threads are meant to be used by all users. I see how the wording can cause confusion. That being said, the application of the rule is not new and has been consistent.
⬆⬆ What he said.

It is one of those situations were if you don't have some sort of a limit, even a soft one, people will fire off huge number of images/maps. Even with the limits being fairly well known we will get the occasional twenty-one image salute.

⬆⬆ What he said.

It is one of those situations were if you don't have some sort of a limit, even a soft one, people will fire off huge number of images/maps. Even with the limits being fairly well known we will get the occasional twenty-one image salute.
Thanks for the clarification!

genusmap.php

This is the state map that I came up with by using a demographic calculator and essentially inversing the vote shares by demographic for the 2012 Presidential election. so the white vote is 60-40 D, the black vote is 95-5 R, the Hispanic vote is 70-30 R, and the Asian/Other vote is 72-28 R. based on this, does anyone want to take any guesses as to what a county map for this scenario would look like? I've been very busy lately with my work schedule and I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to take a crack at making a county map for this scenario.

genusmap.php

This is the state map that I came up with by using a demographic calculator and essentially inversing the vote shares by demographic for the 2012 Presidential election. so the white vote is 60-40 D, the black vote is 95-5 R, the Hispanic vote is 70-30 R, and the Asian/Other vote is 72-28 R. based on this, does anyone want to take any guesses as to what a county map for this scenario would look like? I've been very busy lately with my work schedule and I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to take a crack at making a county map for this scenario.
what calculator?

For an upcoming TL I have an idea for in my had (I have another one that starts with TR running for President in 1920 and leading to a Second ACW in the 30s but that one has a lot less details opposed to this one :
genusmap.png
Blue, Red, and Green is Republican, Democrat, and States' Rights respectfully

The Democratic, Southern, and Progressive tickets are the same as OTL but the Republican Ticket doesn't have an OTL Contender. Only hits you'll get for the Nominee is he was a Businessman. The VP Nominee was Lodge, however.