Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Challenge 224 has arrived.
Amusingly, I erroneously wrote a challenge post for the Greenland and Faroe Islands option, despite it coming in second place in the voting. [...]
So, create some interesting Greenlandic or Faroese flags with an interesting backstory. I wish every contestant good luck with the new round. :cool:
[...]I have to say I've been very pleased with the amount of entries for this round. Four very fine entries. :)
I only just realised that I made a flag for an alt-Iceland when the challenge is for Greenland or the Faroes, with no mention of Iceland at all. :eek:
And I can't even pretend that my alt-history matches, since neither Greenland nor the Faroes have active volcanoes.
I quite like the flag I came up with but in the interests of complete fairness, my entry should really be disqualified. :(

I only just realised that I made a flag for an alt-Iceland when the challenge is for Greenland or the Faroes, with no mention of Iceland at all. :eek:
And I can't even pretend that my alt-history matches, since neither Greenland nor the Faroes have active volcanoes.
I quite like the flag I came up with but in the interests of complete fairness, my entry should really be disqualified. :(

Hm. You know, I'll give you some leeway: Rewrite some of the backstory, so it could fit as a flag for a Greenland or Faroe Islands colonised by or taken over from other Norsemen by medieval Icelanders. :) But do it today or tomorrow. I'll copy the updated backstory to the poll thread as well.

Hm. You know, I'll give you some leeway: Rewrite some of the backstory, so it could fit as a flag for a Greenland or Faroe Islands colonised by or taken over from other Norsemen by medieval Icelanders. :) But do it today or tomorrow. I'll copy the updated backstory to the poll thread as well.
That's very generous, thank you.
Edit: the edited backstory is now in my original post. The flag has not been changed.

Last edited:
That's very generous, thank you.

Edited backstory

Thank you, I'll update it. :) Also, you could have just edited your original post, pasting in the new backstory. Feel free to do so, it will help with easier book-keeping for the contest. (Back up your original backstory, if you'd ever have any AH use for it, and Bob's your uncle.)

Thank you, I'll update it. :) Also, you could have just edited your original post, pasting in the new backstory. Feel free to do so, it will help with easier book-keeping for the contest. (Back up your original backstory, if you'd ever have any AH use for it, and Bob's your uncle.)
I wasn't sure which would be better / easier. I've edited it into my original post now instead.

@BelfastBrawler Congratulations. I did like your flag - simple in concept and very effective, like all the best designs.
Do you have any immediate ideas for a contest? If so, I'm happy for you to go ahead with it, as my brain seems to be struggling to get out of first gear today... :confused:
Otherwise, we can have a PM chat about how to proceed?

Okay - I'll try to get the next challenge up tomorrow (Fri 5th June).

ps Thanks to everyone who voted, not just for my entry but for all entries - it was good to see so many people taking an interest!

@BelfastBrawler and @FriendlyGhost: Sorry to bother you with the tag again, guys, I just have a fun observation. This was your seventh win in the contest, for both of you. Rather cool how that all came together, isn't it ? :) :cool:
Well, here's BelfastBrawler's chance to overtake me again... ;)

The new challenge:
For the next contest, I decided to take as a theme the title of the only story I've ever had published*: There are no stars tonight
*shameless plug - it's in the SeaLion Press 1st World War anthology N'Oublions Jamais - if you do read it, please consider leaving a review - all honest reviews are welcome.

Weekly Flag Challenge № 225: There are no stars

The re-design can be as simple or complicated as you want - the only rule is that the new flag must not have any stars at all.​
You may include the original flag in your entry if you want, but this is not a requirement.​
Submissions Open: Now (5th June)​
Submissions Close: about a week later: 1200 GMT 12th June

This challenge comes to you courtesy of the International Society of Stellaphobic Vexillologists*.
*no, it doesn't really exist :openedeyewink:
Edit: challenge number corrected to 225, not 224 - the dangers of using copy and paste demonstrated again!

Last edited:
Kingdom of Tuvalu

No particular backstory for this, just a flag of Tuvalu incorporating elements of the coats of arms of Tuvalu and the Ellice Islands Colony.
Flag of the Kingdom of Tuvalu.png

I'm this quick because I was already thinking about this flag when I saw the challenge.