Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Braubitsch, Kleist, von Boch, Blomberg, Halder (most definitely) and maybe Keitel. As long as Guderian and Mannstein hang around, other new plug in German generals and the general staff will keep the Wehrmacht humming along as RTL. The tactical operators, who are competent, and who can rise, are just too deep in that army for a Stalin like purge to have a similar effect.
Thank you, for the response! It also came to mind that I've had another idea...say for example that the Third Reich was able to win WWII and Hitler lives to die of natural causes. I know we would definitely see a power struggle, and maybe even a small civil war. But if it were a person who was not too fond of the SS (whoever that may be), would we see a purge of the members of the SS? Possibly seeing a scenario similar to Lavrentiy Beria with Heinrich Himmler?

What if the number 23 nitto maru didn't encounter task force 16 enroute to launch the Doolittle raid?

Would Halsey, Doolittle, etc.. continue to the original launch point or would caution perhaps make go somewhere between the targeted spot and the otl launch?

I know the beacons were never set up, but without having to launch early, this should give the raiders enough fuel to make it to friendlier Chinese territory, right?

McPherson

Banned
What if the number 23 nitto maru didn't encounter task force 16 enroute to launch the Doolittle raid?

Would Halsey, Doolittle, etc.. continue to the original launch point or would caution perhaps make go somewhere between the targeted spot and the otl launch?

I know the beacons were never set up, but without having to launch early, this should give the raiders enough fuel to make it to friendlier Chinese territory, right?

I don't know. The weather turning bad as much as the Maru dictated early launching. Flip a coin?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
What happens the to the men of the Czechoslovak Legion in a CP victory?
Well, with a CP victory, there's still a lot of variables in the mix, especially in the east. I'm assuming the Bolsheviks would still hold Russia, in which case (if they were lucky enough to make it out as in OTL) they would have been dispersed around as with the White Emigres. Depending on what happened after the CP victory to Bohemia and Moravia (I'm sort of thinking incorporation into a SD-dominated Republic of Greater Austria, assuming a more orderly dissolution of the A-H Empire), maybe they could return in exchange for a loyalty oath or something...

The Allied plan for the Legion was to get them out via the East and use them in France

If Belgium didn't exist, or was dissolved, what would Belgian waffles be called? Would there even be Belgian waffles?

If Belgium didn't exist, or was dissolved, what would Belgian waffles be called? Would there even be Belgian waffles?
French waffles, like how French fries came from Belgium and later became associated with France (or at least supposedly did, there's also a very good argument they indeed did come from France). But some traditional Belgian waffle styles are also found across the border in France anyway, and there's plenty of ways for France to acquire Belgium or for food from Belgium to be associated with France since the chefs are speaking French anyway.

Although looking it up, apparently modern "Belgian waffles" were invented by a Belgian chef in the US.

"Reichswaffeln", and they would be served at Waffelhaus cafes through out Occupied Confederate America.

[ Little-known fact: the Reich maintains a secret "Waffelhaus Index" of anti-government activity, using surveillance microphones hidden in Waffelhaus cafes and other such establishments favored by the underclass. ]

Last edited:
The Allied plan for the Legion was to get them out via the East and use them in France
But this is in the event of a "CP Victory", right? So I'm assuming victory on both eastern and western fronts. No reason to extract them and send them to France if there's no Western Front anymore. Maybe they'd wind up in Harbin or Shanghai, where lots of White Emigres trapped in the east wound up.

WI: Conscription in South Korea mandatory to both able-bodied male and female citizens in the same age bracket as OTL; possible effects in its popular culture.

Zyuganov victory in 1996 Russia... horrible for democracy? Other repercussions?
Probably no worse than OTL. The election was literally rigged against him by the pro-Yeltsin crew. It could end up better since Russia would have a democratic transition of power.

Any good TLs about a large-scale US intervention in Mexico in the 1910s? Ideally not ones too focused on the First World War.

‘Joe Stalin Continues To Back The Kuomintang’, rather than withdrawing Soviet support from them and transferring it to Mao and his communists.

‘Better 1984 Democratic Nominee’.
Ah, Walter Mondale. The guy who lost almost every state. Now I've wondered that Mondale was chosen because Reagan was almost guaranteed to win--the Democrats thought they would lose anyway, so they offered a sacrificial lamb and decided to focus more on House, Senate, and state levels that year?
Reagan was in a good spot at the time... what I'm thinking is that he would still win. It wouldn't be a landslide with a better 1984 Democratic Nominee, but Reagan would win the election of 1984.

Ah, Walter Mondale. The guy who lost almost every state. Now I've wondered that Mondale was chosen because Reagan was almost guaranteed to win--the Democrats thought they would lose anyway, so they offered a sacrificial lamb and decided to focus more on House, Senate, and state levels that year?
Reagan was in a good spot at the time... what I'm thinking is that he would still win. It wouldn't be a landslide with a better 1984 Democratic Nominee, but Reagan would win the election of 1984.

Yeah, I thought so. That is, in part, why I once suggested an ASB presidential election between 1984 Ronald Reagan and 1996 Bill Clinton, who I think would’ve done a better job due to his strange charm and more conservative policy positions, in keeping with the rightwards-shifting political paradigm of the time.

As it pertains to realistic PoDs, though, I wonder if there were any Bill Clinton analogues who could’ve conceivably challenged Reagan (and probably still have lost, albeit by far smaller margins than Mondale)? Because even though the man himself would technically be eligible to run, I don’t think he quite has the life or political experience to take on a popular incumbent like Reagan just yet.

My question is in relation to Hassam ad-Din Jarallah, one of the candidates for the position of Mufti of Jerusalem in 1921 (the position in OTL was won by the anti-Semitic Amin al-Husseinei). I tried asking what if he became Grand Mufti, but no one's replied to the thread.

Just how moderate was he in comparison to his peers? I know the the Nashashibi clan, unlike many of their contemporaries including Amin Al-Husseinei, was one of the more moderate factions in the dispute between Palestinians and Jews after World War II. They supported British proposals, such as the partition plan of the Peel Commission in 1937 and the 1939 White Paper. They felt that the Arabs would be more likely to achieve their goals by working within the Mandate system.

But just how moderate was Hassam d-Din Jarallah as a person? Had he become Grand Mufti, how would that have changed the Zionist-Arab dispute over Palestine?