Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Here is one I am surprised no one has considered, the Hot Tub Time Machine film, which shows what would most likely happen if the average person traveled through time, and really didn't care about the consequences:

And:

Here is one I am surprised no one has considered, the Hot Tub Time Machine film, which shows what would most likely happen if the average person traveled through time, and really didn't care about the consequences:

What would have the reaction been if the Black Guy had saved Lincoln?

Not sure if this counts but the Youtuber Drew Durmil a few years back ran Hearts of Iron IV's World War II with AI Only and no interference. Some of the differences were interesting.

Germany does divide the invasion of Poland with the Soviet Union and invades Poland on its own. No Non Aggression Pact.

Several smaller European Countries join the Axis(presumably so that they don't lose lives in the Nazi Invasions that were going to happen anyway).

Switzerland does not remain neutral and joins the Allies, unfortunately this is during the invasion of France and it is almost immediately taken over. So Switzerland loses the jokes about it being Neutral but is viewed as having joined the war and being easily defeated, probably being remembered as something close to how France is remembered for Surrendering OTL. Speaking of which...

France does not surrender and continues fighting. Unfortunately Fascist Spain wins the Spanish Civil War and joins the Axis. France is attacked from all sides from Spain, Germany and Italy and eventually are conquered, placing France in a position similar to OTL's Poland. Denmark also joins the allies but is quickly conquered by the Germans. Hitler does not attempt an invasion of the Scandinavian countries and neither the Axis or the Allies seem to touch them, though the Soviet Union(who does not join the Allies) does attempt a failed invasion.

Italy is much more competent, taking parts of France and being given land by Germany. They also conquer more of the north Africa.

Greece does a better job or fending off both the Italians and the Germans, this results in Britain sending more Troops to aid them, leading to Greece joining the Allies and also becoming a driving force in the war with the Greek Front being an important location.

Japan never joins the Axis but still invades China, however, the Soviet Union(due to no war with Germany at the time) sends aid to the People's Republic of China, and they take the country, pushing the Japanese out, except for a small portion which the Japanese are able to defend and keep.

The Soviet Union also begins invading countries, usually the Middle East to avoid conflict with Germany, however they then invade Romania and the Axis declare war on them as a result of Romania being an Axis ally.

Britain is able to turn the tide in Africa through their colonies and begin to push against Germany. America has remained Neutral even passed the original date of Pearl Harbor and them joining(This is due to Japan being too occupied battling China and Russia). However, their opinion of Hitler is very low(lower than OTL), and their view on Emperor Hirohito is actually much higher. FDR is still President when America finally does join the war, though its largely through sending Volunteers. They first take back North Africa and defeat Italy and then launch a D-Day in Spain. The Germans actually have success in pushing them back. This is where it ended but it seems an Allie victory would follow. It should also be mentioned that the Soviet Union and China were their own faction independent of the Allies and Axis.

Presumably Germany is defeated if a year or two after OTL. Interesting implications include Japan never being nuked and remaining Imperial. No Pacific Campaign and no Nukes(the Nazis were actually working on them but were still fairly far when they were defeated). So the Allies will likely pick up on the Nuke research and this time the Soviet Union is not a member of the Allies, so they'd be slower in recreating the Atom Bomb. Anime as we know it doesn't exist due to both the bomb being used not influencing Akira, Barefoot Gen and others while Manga doesn't exist the same way due to Osamu Tezuka not being inspired by American soliders leaving behind Disney comics in Japan during the war.

If there is a Cold War it would most likely involve the Soviet Union and China being fought by mainly the US and (most likely)Japan due to Japan still being powerful and being a longtime enemy to both nations.

Last edited:
European Countries such as Hungary and Romania join the Axis(presumably so that they don't lose lives in the Nazi Invasions that were going to happen anyway). This means that the Greater German Reich is smaller but still powerful.

Switzerland does not remain neutral and joins the Allies, unfortunately this is during the invasion of France and it is almost immediately taken over. So Switzerland loses the jokes about it being Neutral but is viewed as having joined the war and being easily defeated, probably being remembered as something close to how France is remembered for Surrendering OTL. Speaking of which...

France does not surrender and continues fighting. Unfortunately Fascist Spain wins the Spanish Civil War and joins the Axis. France is attacked from all sides from Spain, Germany and Italy and eventually are conquered, placing France in a position similar to OTL's Poland. Denmark also joins the allies but is quickly conquered by the Germans. Surprisingly Hitler does not attempt an invasion of the Scandinavian countries and neither the Axis or the Allies seem to touch them, though the Soviet Union(who does not join the Allies) does attempt a failed invasion.

Italy is much more competent, taking parts of France and being given land by Germany. They also conquer more of the north Africa.

Greece does a better job or fending off both the Italians and the Germans, this results in Britain sending more Troops to aid them, leading to Greece joining the Allies and also becoming a driving force in the war with the Greek Front being an important location.

Japan never joins the Axis but still invades China, however, the Soviet Union(due to no war with Germany at the time) sends aid to the People's Republic of China, and they take the country, pushing the Japanese out, except for a small portion which the Japanese are able to defend and keep.

The Soviet Union also begins invading countries, usually the Middle East to avoid conflict with Germany, however they then invade Romania and the Axis declare war on them as a result of Romania being an Axis ally. I imagine Romania being an Axis ally impacts pop culture as the image of Count Dracula helping the Nazis during the war is too good to not have something done with it.

You do know that Hungary and Romania were in the Axis OTL right?

Crimson Tide always one of my favourite submarine films. The anti-nukes movement would have a field day if those events ever came to light.

Great movie. There's a disclaimer at the end that says after 1996 sub captains can't launch nukes without the express consent of the President. Presumably that would assuage the anti-nukers?

Bigger issue for me is what Radchenko's actions (he's the "ultranationalist" guy in the Russian Far East who's actions send the Alabama to the Pacific in the first place) do to 1990s Russia. Maybe Yeltsin's strong response gives him more legitimacy in Russia in the mid to late 90s?

So it was point out to me that the more recent. Disney movies, both real and live action imply the are set in An alternate Universe. TV Tropes seems to agree.

Changes they have in common are: magic exists, but in most places are so rare that people can largely ignore it. Firearms are banned or very rare (crossbows however seem to have seen continued development). Europe has a noticeable population share of originally African origin, society however seems to be colorblind(Yes I know why but the implications are there). Politically, small independent principalities seem to have been more common throughout the Continent (in Germany and Italy they were a reality until the 1860s). France instead of being a near-superpower had trouble fending off a Portuguese invasion in Gaston‘s youth(meaning either France is smaller or Portugal is bigger). The plague killed Belle‘s mother in Paris in (most probably) the mid-18th century while historically, the last outbreak of the plague in France was successfully restricted to Southern France in 1720.

In particular, the likely scenario of a Obama vs. Cheney election and its aftermath is not addressed (the film was released before the 2008 primaries).

Would Cheney have stood a chance against Obama? I mean, Cheney was right in the thick of the planning for the Iraq War.

Would Cheney have stood a chance against Obama? I mean, Cheney was right in the thick of the planning for the Iraq War.
there's also the fact that he had (and probably still has) a memetic reputation as the Himmler to Bush's Hitler--i remember there was an artsy Divine Comedy film from around the time of the Bush years that had Cheney in one of the lower circles as one of those guys whose sins are so great that they're preemptively sent to Hell and a demon or whatever occupies their body until they would've died anyway

so, yeah, i sincerely doubt Cheney would have any chance against Obama IOTL. in a given work of fiction that's a deliberate dystopia, maybe not :p

KH9tI6V.jpg

Los mulatos de Esmeraldas (1599) by Andrés Sánchez Gallique.

14225409_516765415188597_451933797161135941_n.jpg

2b02e0a8eaefb433b3512635897e1be4590778bf7e56f4847553bad83f63581f.jpg

African born Spanish conquistadors.

Last edited:
I think Kingsman would lead to massive changes, not least because most of the world's cities are in disarray, many millions are dead, and every government in the world has been (literally) decapitated.

I think Kingsman would lead to massive changes, not least because most of the world's cities are in disarray, many millions are dead, and every government in the world has been (literally) decapitated.
Global paranoia would definitely ensue. Also, all of those who allied with Valentine are dead, so whatever governments that remain would probably be the most trustworthy ones.

Depending on who dies, the entertainment industry would also get completely messed up for the next few months.

Global paranoia would definitely ensue. Also, all of those who allied with Valentine are dead, so whatever governments that remain would probably be the most trustworthy ones.

Depending on who dies, the entertainment industry would also get completely messed up for the next few months.
At least Iggy Azalea and that one Swedish princess are still alive.

In the 1997 animated movie Anastasia, the Russian princess, Anastasia, survives the revolution but is separated from her grandmother during the escape from the Russian Revolution and suffers amnesia after receiving a blow to the head. She then grows up in a rural orphanage for ten years. She eventually regains her lost memory and is able to reunite with her grandmother, The Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna Romanov, in Paris.

I'm not familiar enough with Russian history to know how the actual survival of one of Nicholas II children would affect the White émigré community, Europe, or Russia itself.

Something I found odd about Ghostbusters 2 is that the Ghostbusters are washed up and virtually forgotten only four years after the first movie. There's no way the near-destruction of New York City by a Sumerian god would just go unnoticed. Of course, the existence of the afterlife being confirmed would have enormous implications, especially for religion.

Something I found odd about Ghostbusters 2 is that the Ghostbusters are washed up and virtually forgotten only four years after the first movie. There's no way the near-destruction of New York City by a Sumerian god would just go unnoticed. Of course, the existence of the afterlife being confirmed would have enormous implications, especially for religion.

I assume everyone got distracted by important matters like the budget. :cool:

In the 1997 animated movie Anastasia, the Russian princess, Anastasia, survives the revolution but is separated from her grandmother during the escape from the Russian Revolution and suffers amnesia after receiving a blow to the head. She then grows up in a rural orphanage for ten years. She eventually regains her lost memory and is able to reunite with her grandmother, The Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna Romanov, in Paris.

I'm not familiar enough with Russian history to know how the actual survival of one of Nicholas II children would affect the White émigré community, Europe, or Russia itself.
the consequences of it are kinda cleaned up by the fact that Anya leaves with Dmitri at the end of the movie and doesn't pursue the role of a pretender to the Russian throne (at least not from what we see). since the whole thing is based on the Anna Anderson account, presumably Anya just goes on to live that life ITTL except that she really is Anastasia.

It is somewhat humorous to imagine Gozer's appearance and near-destruction of New York as an alt-9/11 type event.

I imagine police departments creating ghost-hunting squads, with the proton pack technology being sold to the government, or at least licensed. I could see the military looking for possible applications as well. U.S. Paranormal Corps, anyone?