Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is a silly one done purely for my own amusement: a multiple superpowers world, each power being a wanky creation from existing AH by members or others. (Except one I did myself because I couldn't find a preexisting one that really fit.) In most cases there has been some folding, spindling, or mutilation to make them fit, sadly enough, although one was so absurdly over-wanked to start with that I don't feel too bad about the savage cuts administered.
The Empire-Republic of Brazil reminds me a lot of my Brazilpunk World scenario. That brought back some memories right there. :happyblush

The Empire-Republic of Brazil reminds me a lot of my Brazilpunk World scenario. That brought back some memories right there. :happyblush

That's what it's based on! The same as the Ottomans are based on Oxander's "Southern Strategy" map/scenario, Russia on the mega-Russia in Atom's "Surviving Napoleonic Empire goes Red" scenario, and the Mughals are the Mughals from Tony Jones's Gurkani Alam world. The CNA is from "For Want of a Nail", and Nihon is a severely cut back version of the mega-Japan from the GURPS Alternate Worlds Shikaku-Mon. (China is a somewhat less awful version of Cabal China from "The Anglo-American Nazi War". The population isn't on the actual edge of starvation, and they don't want to kill off all non-East-Asians: just the Japanese.)

That's what it's based on! The same as the Ottomans are based on Oxander's "Southern Strategy" map/scenario, Russia on the mega-Russia in Atom's "Surviving Napoleonic Empire goes Red" scenario, and the Mughals are the Mughals from Tony Jones's Gurkani Alam world. The CNA is from "For Want of a Nail", and Nihon is a severely cut back version of the mega-Japan from the GURPS Alternate Worlds Shikaku-Mon. (China is a somewhat less awful version of Cabal China from "The Anglo-American Nazi War". The population isn't on the actual edge of starvation, and they don't want to kill off all non-East-Asians: just the Japanese.)
Wow, seriously? Thanks!

I'm honestly suprised you went with that particular scenario to adapt; I mean, it's not like my stuff is particularly well-known on the forum, unlike all the other ones, but I'm really happy that you remembered my work! :biggrin:

do you have links to the southern strategy and surviving nappy goes red? thx!

colonies were basically dissolved and absorbed into the african states, except minor port cities which were more profitable because of europe being in a terrible state, except france, who still has algeria as it was basically metropolitan french
Well if Algeria is considered metropolitan France, which is basically what I was expecting, Tunisia could easily be metropolitan Italy or similar. It did have a sizeable Italian minority, in the cities at least, IOTL after all.

do you have links to the southern strategy and surviving nappy goes red? thx!

For Southern Strategy: found it, but somehow lost it again. Will look again tomorrow.

There's no one post or thread for Atom's scenario, just various bits and pieces:

The Russia of that world: https://www.deviantart.com/ammonoidea/art/Maximum-Imperial-Russia-260502184
The US of that world: https://www.deviantart.com/ammonoidea/art/A-Very-odd-USA-260152415
The Australia of that world: https://www.deviantart.com/ammonoidea/art/In-the-Land-of-Exiled-Kings-267066452

As for the commie French themselves, it's not on his deviantart account, but here's the original post:

And I have a copy of the map. Which I shall upload. As soon as this miserable internet connection lets me upload things. :mad:

1590319835846.png

This map is designed as base for my Election Game. I actually it quite hard to find a vector map of South Africa from the 1990s.
The subdivisions are based off the linguistic maps from this site : http://www.salanguages.com/languagemaps/, bantustan maps, and used https://earthworks.stanford.edu/catalog/tufts-safricamd-sa01 also for some border adjustments. The colour scheme is of course THICC. The base image, for record, is from this: https://www.researchgate.net/profil...510/Magisterial-districts-in-South-Africa.png

800AD

I made some changes. Unspecified conditions in China drew much of the proto-Turkic peoples eastward instead of west, resulting in a quieter pontic steppe and a slavic ethnogenesis that saw far more input from increasingly sedentary Iranic tribes. Once in awhile a tribal confederation would smash into Central Asia and North India, but there was none of the massive migratory waves as seen IOTL. That changed ITTL with the recent movement of Yeniseian peoples, themselves driven by Tungusic harassment (Jurchens, maybe?).

Green (Europe) - Insular Celtic / North Celtic / South Celtic / Italo-Celtic
Grey - North Germanic / Central Germanic / East Germanic
Yellow - West Slovenin / East Slovenin / Sarmatian
Red (Europe) - Punic
Light Brown - Amazigh
Yellow (Africa) - West African / Central African / East African
Light Blue - Hellenic / Dacian
Green (Arabia) - Alexandrian / Arabian
Orange - Iranian
Blue - Indo-Aryan / Dravidian
Green (Asia) - Tibeto-Burman
Red (Asia)) - Yeniseian
Pink - Finnic / Ugric

XmKVy1b.png

Druwidos - Caste-based, ossified, and losing ground to the Hellenic religions that provide far easier paths to a favorable rebirth (or an escape from the cycle altogether).
Forn Si'r - Traditional Germanic faiths.
Suomenusko - Traditional Uralic faiths.
Starivery - Traditional Slavic faiths.
Hamuni - Once polytheistic, now entirely centered around the worship of Baal Hammon. It's the odd one out in a Mediterranean dominated by faiths that are both polytheistic and accepting of reincarnation.
Oikoumene Dharme - A wide swath of traditions that draw from local pantheons, traditional Dharmic religions, and Hellenic philosophy. The discriminating factor between this grouping and the other Dharmic traditions is their uniting belief that Alexander Megalos is a Buddha, a diety, or otherwise worthy of worship.
Sramana Dharma - Jainism, Buddhism, and Vedic traditions.
Bon - Traditional Tibetan faiths, collected under this slightly-anachronistic term.
Yehudi - Judaism.
Al-mu-minin - Traditional Arabian faiths.
Tengricilik - Shamanistic, pantheistic steppe faiths.
Khwarenah - A monotheistic religion that draws heavily from the largely-extinct Mazdan religions. People have one life in which to find and fulfill the purpose God has laid out for them, after which they are consigned to the afterlife they've earned through their actions. Reincarnation and foreign deities are lies and demons that threaten to condemn one to hell for eternity. Fire and water play significant symbolic roles.
Kel Tagelmust - A gnostic(?) faith born from punicized Berbers that recognizes the existence of multiple good creator Gods and one evil destructive force (often identified with Hammon). Draws on Dharmic faiths in a superficial manner - there is no Nirvana, enlightenment, or escape from the cycle of rebirths. Worshipers can achieve favorable rebirths by several means, though different sects will emphasize different paths. All faithful agree that the best way is to act in accordance with the divine plan laid out by the Gods. By doing so, one may eventually be reborn as a God, and join in crafting the divine plan.
Harikanne/Boorii/Dunyabatteh/Oferi/Waaqeffanna - Traditional Sub-Saharan African faiths.

INXv8K2.png
Absolutely wonderful.

800AD

I made some changes. Unspecified conditions in China drew much of the proto-Turkic peoples eastward instead of west, resulting in a quieter pontic steppe and a slavic ethnogenesis that saw far more input from increasingly sedentary Iranic tribes. Once in awhile a tribal confederation would smash into Central Asia and North India, but there was none of the massive migratory waves as seen IOTL. That changed ITTL with the recent movement of Yeniseian peoples, themselves driven by Tungusic harassment (Jurchens, maybe?).

Green (Europe) - Insular Celtic / North Celtic / South Celtic / Italo-Celtic
Grey - North Germanic / Central Germanic / East Germanic
Yellow - West Slovenin / East Slovenin / Sarmatian
Red (Europe) - Punic
Light Brown - Amazigh
Yellow (Africa) - West African / Central African / East African
Light Blue - Hellenic / Dacian
Green (Arabia) - Alexandrian / Arabian
Orange - Iranian
Blue - Indo-Aryan / Dravidian
Green (Asia) - Tibeto-Burman
Red (Asia)) - Yeniseian
Pink - Finnic / Ugric

XmKVy1b.png

Druwidos - Caste-based, ossified, and losing ground to the Hellenic religions that provide far easier paths to a favorable rebirth (or an escape from the cycle altogether).
Forn Si'r - Traditional Germanic faiths.
Suomenusko - Traditional Uralic faiths.
Starivery - Traditional Slavic faiths.
Hamuni - Once polytheistic, now entirely centered around the worship of Baal Hammon. It's the odd one out in a Mediterranean dominated by faiths that are both polytheistic and accepting of reincarnation.
Oikoumene Dharme - A wide swath of traditions that draw from local pantheons, traditional Dharmic religions, and Hellenic philosophy. The discriminating factor between this grouping and the other Dharmic traditions is their uniting belief that Alexander Megalos is a Buddha, a diety, or otherwise worthy of worship.
Sramana Dharma - Jainism, Buddhism, and Vedic traditions.
Bon - Traditional Tibetan faiths, collected under this slightly-anachronistic term.
Yehudi - Judaism.
Al-mu-minin - Traditional Arabian faiths.
Tengricilik - Shamanistic, pantheistic steppe faiths.
Khwarenah - A monotheistic religion that draws heavily from the largely-extinct Mazdan religions. People have one life in which to find and fulfill the purpose God has laid out for them, after which they are consigned to the afterlife they've earned through their actions. Reincarnation and foreign deities are lies and demons that threaten to condemn one to hell for eternity. Fire and water play significant symbolic roles.
Kel Tagelmust - A gnostic(?) faith born from punicized Berbers that recognizes the existence of multiple good creator Gods and one evil destructive force (often identified with Hammon). Draws on Dharmic faiths in a superficial manner - there is no Nirvana, enlightenment, or escape from the cycle of rebirths. Worshipers can achieve favorable rebirths by several means, though different sects will emphasize different paths. All faithful agree that the best way is to act in accordance with the divine plan laid out by the Gods. By doing so, one may eventually be reborn as a God, and join in crafting the divine plan.
Harikanne/Boorii/Dunyabatteh/Oferi/Waaqeffanna - Traditional Sub-Saharan African faiths.

INXv8K2.png
Absolutely wonderful.

This is interesting, but I'm not really sure how to read it. Is the paler pink land, and the darker water? Or is all the pink land and the black water? Or am I completely misinterpreting it?
All of the pink is land, and the paler pink is meant to be topographical/showing mountainous bits.

Sengoku Japan.png

I hope this isn't too blurry. For the longest time making a political map of Japan as was a pain for me considering how divided it could be especially in the Northeastern parts. So this is my first attempt actually creating a map with all of the proper political divisions, mind you this was done with my Sengoku timeline so it is not yet entirely historical although I could easily change that. That and I wanted to add in each clan's mon or symbol, to make the map key less bare-bones.

I didn't get too wild with colors did I? I had to use Html codes and some places are absolute hell to work with.

The Ziyarid-Zoroastrian Revival

ddxyhvu-b17eaef7-da57-4835-8af0-6bfa3f96206a.png

Historically, the Iranian Intermezzo between the 9th and 11th centuries saw the decline of the Abbasid caliphate and a concurrent rise of a number of Persian dynasties to prominence in the Middle East. Amongst these were the Ziyarids, who under the warlord Mardavij briefly sought to restore the Sasanian Empire and the Zoroastrian religion. Mardavij succeeded in expanding his domains from Tabarestan all the way to Shiraz and Ahvaz, developing ambitious plans to conquer Baghdad and overthrow the caliphate before crowning himself in the ancient Persian capital of Ctesiphon. However, he was murdered in his capital of Isfahan in 935 by dissatisfied Ghulam soldiers. This map presupposes that this assasination did not happen, and that Mardavij instead went on to consolidate his domains, thereby paving the way for a Zoroastrian-Persian renaissance.

As a result of Mardavij and his successors’ campaigns against the remnant Muslim Persian dynasties (Sallarids, Samanids, Saffarids and Buyahids), the butterfly effect has augmented some of the more outlandish polities of the region. The Ismail’i Qarmatians are therefore stronger, having captured Oman and a foothold in Southern Iraq. Likewise, the Hindu-Buddhist syncretic kingdom of Zanbil in modern day Afghanistan has managed to consolidate as a result of Samanid weakness.

This might not be an extremely plausible map, but I’ve always found Iranian history and a possible Zoroastrian resurgence interesting.

The map was made in Adobe Illustrator

Sources:

Avery, P et al.: The Cambridge History of Iran: Volume 4 - From the Arab Invasion to the Saljuqs (Cambridge University Press, 1991)
Spruner, Karl & von Menke, Theodor: Hand-Atlas für die Geschichte des Mittelalters und der neueren Zeit (Gotha, 1880)
Encyclopædia Iranica
Wikipedia

Well, the ASB itself is oriented that way since it mainly occupies just the eastern US IOTL (plus the Caribbean and and southeastern Canada)

Anyway, finally managed to add roads to this baby. Just need to finish the rails (among other things) and it's done.
southafrica.png
>Trothastadt
Jesus fuck

Eparkhos

Banned
Is this the result of Romani being deported from somewhere to Crete, or did the Romani themselves decide to move to one place in an Israel-like method?
The Ottomans cleared the Greeks off the island in the 17th Century and resettled it with a mix of Turks, Albanians and Romani, the latter group being the largest. Overtime they assimilated the other groups on the main island (except for the Sfakiotes) and developed a new national identity. The PoD is 1669, with a butterfly net until the mid-19th Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.