Just for the sake of being pedantic, “queen” in French is “Reine”.
Just for the sake of being even more padentic, that's the spelling from the 18th century onwards. Up to the 17th century it was spelled Roy and Royne, just like Château was spelled Chasteau, Étage was spelled Estage and Chrétien was spelled Chrestien.
A bit funny that their names are “French and French, King and Queen of France”

f7.highres

PIERRE-VALLET-LE-JARDIN-DU-ROY-TRES-CHRESTIEN-LOUIS-XIII.-ROI-DE-FRANCE-ET-DE-NAVARRE.%26HELLIP-.jpg

Last edited:
Actually in early modern French it was usually spelled Roy and Royne.
Just for the sake of being even more padentic, that's the spelling from the 18th century onwards. Up to the 17th century it was spelled Roy and Royne, just like Château was spelled Chasteau, Étage was spelled Estage and Chrétien was spelled Chrestien.

f7.highres

PIERRE-VALLET-LE-JARDIN-DU-ROY-TRES-CHRESTIEN-LOUIS-XIII.-ROI-DE-FRANCE-ET-DE-NAVARRE.%26HELLIP-.jpg
That is something which I never heard of before, thank you both so much.:love:

"François, Roy de France et Françoise, Royne de France".
Actually in early modern French it was usually spelled Roy and Royne.

I'm so impressed that you can spell old French. I can barely spell my native language as it is now :)

I hope King Francis can eventually warm up to his new daughter in law, though she is not the bride he hoped to acquire for his son. This might however, boost Duke Henry's chances to marry Isabella Jagiellon or anyone else of higher birth than his OTL wife, as Francis will want a royal princess for at least one of his sons.

Nice update!

Very interesting the last few chapters. I think Shakespeare in this timeline will have a good comedy out of this with French and French in France, perhaps starting with the elopement.

However, I have the sneakiest suspicion that Francis I may not be quite so thrilled...
France's response will be fun.
OMG I cannot wait to see François’s reaction!! Hopefully he goes easy on his son and daughter in law.
I hope King Francis can eventually warm up to his new daughter in law, though she is not the bride he hoped to acquire for his son. This might however, boost Duke Henry's chances to marry Isabella Jagiellon or anyone else of higher birth than his OTL wife, as Francis will want a royal princess for at least one of his sons.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am also excited to see how Francis I reacts. I've got three different responses plotted out and I can't decide, so if anyone has any thoughts or opinions I would love to hear it :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am also excited to see how Francis I reacts. I've got three different responses plotted out and I can't decide, so if anyone has any thoughts or opinions I would love to hear it :)
I can see Francis either being a bit miffed but getting over it on time or disinheriting the Dauphin

I can see Francis either being a bit miffed but getting over it on time or disinheriting the Dauphin
The latter would be pretty stupid from him as he can make Henri as heir in place of François but can not take away Brittany from his eldest son

The latter would be pretty stupid from him as he can make Henri as heir in place of François but can not take away Brittany from his eldest son

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Francis as Duke of Brittany, there’s only so much Francis I can do. Mostly I’m stuck on what kind of concessions (or if there are any) that’s Francis I will demand.

Maybe something to do with the inheritance? Maybe Henri children would be put ahead of the dauphin's?

Maybe something to do with the inheritance?

King Francis might demand that either (a) Duke Francis step aside as heir, or (b) force it to be a morganatic marriage, so that his children are removed from the line of succession.

However, a quick check on Wikipedia suggests that morganatic marriages were not recognised in French law. Francis I is going to need to think on this one.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Francis as Duke of Brittany, there’s only so much Francis I can do. Mostly I’m stuck on what kind of concessions (or if there are any) that’s Francis I will demand.

Maybe something to do with the inheritance? Maybe Henri children would be put ahead of the dauphin's?

King Francis might demand that either (a) Duke Francis step aside as heir, or (b) force it to be a morganatic marriage, so that his children are removed from the line of succession.

However, a quick check on Wikipedia suggests that morganatic marriages were not recognised in French law. Francis I is going to need to think on this one.

Frances in the end is an acceptable match (she is the daughter of a royal princess AND niece of a powerful King and her father is a Duke) who at the worst is at the level of Catherine de‘ Medici but likely better than her...
Francis can have married better? Sure, but the girl, being an English proxy princess, is still good enough (and while lady Mary had better blood she and Frances are of similar rank and the latter is not related to Karl V, who is likely a consolation for her father-in-law).
And Francis can see that as sort of divine punishment or sort of revenge from Henry: likely after the death of his predecessor/father-in-law, had hoped to see also his wife dying soon for being able to marry Frances’ mother and had likely pushed and supported the wedding of Frances‘ parents because that would be trouble for Henry.
Now his son had married Mary’s daughter and if the girl is stunning like her mother was is likely who her father-in-law will accept his son’s choice rather quickly and warm to his unexpected daughter-in-law...
Still pretty likely who Francis of Brittany will need to pay an heavy fine to his father for having married without his consent

Chapter 12 - In which France, two difference Francis', and Frances are discussed
“…. He, Henry VIII, began 1534 with one of his favorite pastimes: grandstanding and stalling. [1] Rising to the defense of his, Henry’s, new nephew by marriage, Henry sent several letters to him, Francis I, assuring him, Francis I, that he, Henry, had no intentions of censuring the him, the Dauphin, for his, the Dauphin’s, eloping with his, Henry’s, niece.

He, Francis I, didn’t particularly appreciate being put on the back foot, but it was true that his, Francis’s, son had eloped with his, Henry’s, niece and would send back several letters berating him, Henry VIII, for allowing the elopement in his, Henry’s, court. (Did you track the pronouns okay?)”
The Tudors: A Real-Life Soup Opera by Diana Marks​

[1] Because it allowed him to be loud and ostentatious without requiring any particular action.

“By late February, Henry VIII and Francis I had hammered out something of an agreement. Henry VIII did nominally dower Frances Brandon and Francis the Dauphin would pay a fine to both Henry VIII and Francis I for the elopement. By early March Henry VIII and Francis I were talking as if they had planned the whole thing, swearing eternal friendship, and discussing the Italian Wars.
Of course, any discussion of warfare was entirely theoretical…. right now, anyway.”
Henry VIII: England and Europe by Lloyd Hawthorne​

“It would be April of 1534 by the time Francis and Frances arrived in France. They would be welcomed to Paris by Francis I and his mistress Anne de Pisseleu d’Heilly. [1] [2] After several revelries, the two would retire to his estates in Brittany. In November their first child, a daughter named Marie Claude, would be born.”
Veronica Wells translation of François et Françoise de France​

[1] Queen Eleanor having refused to greet “that upstart”
[2] This welcoming would do much to endear Anne to Frances, and would ensure her continued relevancy after the death of Francis I

Hurray! A happier Frances Brandon cannot be a bad thing! And of course Francis It's mistress would seek to secure her own position by welcoming the Dauphin and Dauphine in lieu of the Queen.