The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

Realistically, even with some positive ATL developments that would make the Slovak film and TV industry weather the 1990s better, and offer more stuff for export than just the occassional film, there are natural limits within the distribution market and the country's soft power with helping push through and promote domestic programming abroad.
Well Holmes has 'brand recognition' (though also licensing issues back then).

I could definitely see a Slovak Sherlock Holmes series, if done well and already popular at home, being sold abroad, at least as a bit of an experiment. Just to test the waters, whether a foreign adaptation of such an iconic anglophone property could garner attention. I know die-hard Holmes fans were appreciative of the Soviet series with Livanov already back in the day, and he still seems quite popular abroad to this day, along with the Brett Holmes and Cushing Holmes, and so on. Maybe my hypothetical Sherlock Holmes played by Martin Huba could find his own niche of appreciation in the international fandom. :)
Well the Cushing Holmes isn't well known as few episodes have survived. The Russian adaptions are rather good, unlike most other Holmes adaptions (e.g. Baker, Lee), bur rather obscure in the West.

The working title for my ATL concept is the simple Dobrodružstvá Sherlocka Holmesa a Dr. Watsona ("The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson"). Abroad, in English, the series would often be nicknamed "Slovak Sherlock Holmes".
Probably.

Not sure I know of the latter, but I certainly remember that late 1970s Verne adaptation, one of several 1960s to early 1980s Verne adaptations done in Czechoslovakia. I haven't seen all of them, and I've only seen bits and pieces of that Steel City adaptation. As much as I know the source material, I don't think I've read that particular novel in detail, but I quite liked how they visualised its setting, given that they had to rely entirely on 70s film tech and special effects. I wasn't even sure whether that film and other Czechoslovak Verne adaptations (especially the non-Zeman ones) are known all that much in the anglosphere and elsewhere abroad.
Steel City was broadcast by the BBC and also by RTE in Ireland. I'm not sure of the Danube Delta series's exact title but again it was carried by BBC and repeated a few times as part of the summer holiday children's programming.

Au contraire, why wouldn't there be ?

I think there are plenty of places in Slovakia that could be a pretty good stand-in for Victorian Britain, though it would be a fair bit tricky.
Ah, my mistake, I assumed from earlier comments there'd be a lack of suitable architecture et cetera.

Seems you're right. I really didn't know that about Cadfael, but perhaps I'd notice it again if I rewatched some of its episodes. There is some good medieval architecture and there are some nice landscapes in Hungary, so it's certainly not impossible. Never would have thought that series' cast was ferried to 90s Hungary to do the shooting.
I suspect cost savings and the cheap and easy availability of suitable backdrops.

That's a really intriguing concept, but given the state of Slovak public television in the 1990s, it would simply be far too expensive for the era. They did eventually do more expensive co-productions with others, and the pace has picked up again this century for higher production values programming, but in the 1990s, a Slovak-Irish co-pro would be overly difficult. Especially if Slovakia was ultimately the junior partner in the whole thing.
Alas I have to agree.

I love how you're showing such imagination, although I must confess I'm unfamiliar with the Slovak film & tv industry.
I think an interesting one would be an Austrian production starring Christoph Waltz as Holmes. My family and I spent Christmas in Europe, starting in Vienna. The atmosphere and architecture was extraordinary and would be perfect for a victorian setting. There were even numerous occasions where I saw actual horse-drawn carriages!

This is based off of an actual 2002 adaptation with most of the same cast, but with Grant as Stapleton and Roxburgh playing Holmes. Which reminds me I should probably (and regretfully) replace Nettles with a younger actor so as to be book accurate. I've also added Nicola Walker as Laura Lyons.
I like Roxburgh as Holmes in the original version. But Richard Grant would be a interesting choice.

Sherlock Holmes & the Case of the Silk Stocking (2004)

Written by Allan Cubbitt
Directed by Simon Cellan Jones
View attachment 547842
A BBC/PBS co-production. Set in 1903, the plot follows Holmes as he does battle with a serial killer of young women. The film received a mixed reaction from critics and fans alike, although the performances of Pete Postlethwaite and Philip Jackson received praise. Recently Sherlockians have come to view the story either as an underrated cult classic, or an entertaining guilty pleasure.
  • Pete Postlethwaite as Sherlock Holmes
  • Philip Jackson as Dr. Watson
I wish that Postlethwaite had played Holmes . He have been interesting.
He also have been a interesting Watson .

Honestly, the casting is pretty well done. :) Postlethwaite as Holmes is an awesome idea. (Also, I could imagine him as a good Moriarty.)
Postlewaite is one of the few actors, I could see in any of the major roles . He have made a good Holmes or Watson or as you suggested Moriarty .

1990s French Arsène Lupine series ?
If the French did an Arsène Lupine series in the 1990s or so, I think Vincent Cassel would be a very good casting choice for the main character.
I know that a couple of the Lupin stories feature a character that is clearly Holmes but he was not called that because of copyright.
And I know that over the years , there been a number of adaption of Lupin Stories on French TV.
But has any of the Lupin stories that feature Holmes ever been adapted for TV?

I'll create the promised mystery AU thread when I've finished my introductory post: a 30s film version of Murder on the Orient Express. However, I'd like to know; would anybody be interested in a Marvel/DC thread?

I know that a couple of the Lupin stories feature a character that is clearly Holmes but he was not called that because of copyright.
And I know that over the years , there been a number of adaption of Lupin Stories on French TV.
But has any of the Lupin stories that feature Holmes ever been adapted for TV?
Accord to iMDB the third episode of the 1971 Arsene Lupin series started Herri Virojeux as Herlock Sholmes .
As did a episode of the 86 series with Iossif Surchadzhiev as Sholmes

Driftless

Donor
Accord to iMDB the third episode of the 1971 Arsene Lupin series started Herri Virojeux as Herlock Sholmes .
As did a episode of the 86 series with Iossif Surchadzhiev as Sholmes

I recently ordered "The Exploits of Solar Pons" and the owner of the bookstore added a bonus booklet-sized reprint of the 1892 "The Adventures of Sherlaw Kombs" by Robert Barr. It's a tongue-in-cheek parody, that takes a gentle poke at the Holmes persona. The story even has custon done illustrations. Quite well written and I enjoyed the quick read.
"He (Kombs) generously put away his violin, for he had a sincere liking for me...."

*edit* This would be a Martin Clunes/Stephen Fry type of short TV episode.

Last edited:
1589814903360.png

My favorite parody is Robert Fish's Schlock Holmes .

A fake picture from the TV Times. I tried to go for two actors I thought fitted the Doyle descriptions. We have the "excessively lean" Granville Saxton and his "hawk-like nose" with Nicholas Clay, who should certainly pass for "a middle-sized, strongly-built man -- square jaw, thick neck".
SherlockTVT.jpg

Cliff Hangers: Sherlock Holmes Goes West (1980)

Produced by Kenneth Johnson for Universal,

Starring
Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes/Stalking Deer
Clive Revill as Dr. Watson
John Hillerman as Q.U. Womber
Severn Darden as Braithwaite
Joseph Maher as Lestrade
George Innes as Colonel Moran
Anne Marie Martin as Cathy Tynan
Victoria Racimo as Belinha Whitehorse
James Hong as Bartholemew Chew

San Francisco, 1903 - Dr. Watson is on tour of America with his memoirs of the late Sherlock Holmes, who died at Reichenbach 9 years before. He is saddled with an odious US press agent, Womber. A young lady journalist, Cathy Tynan who is an ardent fan reveals to him that . On the train to Nevada, a bandit named Calico Thorpe hijacks the train, and holds Watson hostage. Watson soon realises the bandit is Holmes,

"The final attempt by Universal Television to revive Sherlock Holmes and undoubtedly the weirdest. Created by Kenneth Johnson, who had previously been showrunner on the Incredible hulk and Six Million Dollar Man franchises, Cliff Hangers was a peculiar atttempt to revive the 30s cliff hanger serial for television. An hour long anathology series, each episode was split into three running fifteen minute strands. The first series featured a Perils of Pauline redo in the modern day - Stop Susan Williams, the Curse of Dracula with Michael Nouri as the Count revived in the 70s and the western/lost world hybrid the Secret Empire. Though expensive, it was successful enough for a second series with three new strands - The Human Torch, a WW2-set adaptation of the Marvel Comics character starring Michael Dudikoff,
The Pirate Queen starring Jamie Lee Curtis as the daughter of Puritans who joins a pirate ship, and Sherlock Holmes Goes West. With a high concept idea that harked back to A Study in Scarlet combined with the recent Richard Harris film A Man Called Horse, it is set after the Final Problem. We are eventually told midway through the series that Holmes has faked his death, and posing as the dead Professor Moriarty, travels to the Old West where he is rescued by and decides to seek solace with a tribe of possibly mystic Navajo. Taking up the punning title Stalking Deer, he becomes something of a wise man. However, when bandits attack the settlement, Holmes assumes the identity of the one bandit the tribe managed to kill, and rejoins the bandits, and after a decade away from civilisation, happens upon a newspaper and discovers that Watson is touring America, with his memoirs of the late Mr. Holmes. Cast as this sporadically bare-chested, throat-singing, vine-swinging, gun-toting, horse-riding Sherlock is Jeremy Brett, four years before his major performance as Holmes for Granada. Though elements of his definitive Holmes appear in this incarnation, he is more Errol Flynn-esque swashbuckler than detective. Instead, the role of investigator shifts to Clive Revill as Watson, avuncular, friendly and cheery, but never an idiot in the Nigel Bruce mould. At times, it even seems that Watson is the more focused of the duo, as Holmes, initially introduced as a calm presence becomes increasingly manic as he slowly readapts to the modern world. The central conceit is that Moriarty's old collaborator Colonel Moran (here a snivelling ex-Cockney drill sergeant and veteran of the Boer war) has been brought to America by Watson's flustered literary agent Womber who is trying to lure the "dead" Holmes out of hiding. Womber's plan is to create a fictitious American Moriarty-alike, Dr. Mordecai Braithwaite to assassinate Taft. The story begins mid-story, with "Chapter 7". A faux-recap gives us a precis of the events, but begins proper with Holmes in Stalking Deer guise fighting off bandits, bidding farewell to comely Indian maid Whitehorse, and setting off, disguised as a train robber to San Francisco. In a nice twist, Watson instantly recognises the disguised Holmes, but refuses to believe his dead friend is alive. However, despite the title, only a few episodes in the centre are set in the West, but feature the expected bartitsu-infused bar room brawls and Limey-hating rogues. Severn Darden is deliberately hammy as the actor hired to play the evil Braithwaite, but a subtler turn comes from James Hong as the Fu Manchu-like Chinese pimp/bathhouse owner/slave trafficker who at first seems to be a typical Yellow Peril racist caricature, but is later revealed to have been an ex-RHKP constable who came to America to join Pinkerton's but was dismissed for his race, went into crime, and now, determined to go straight, is willing to help Holmes. However, before he can do anything useful, he falls through a trap door and is eaten by piranhas. The series, realising it needs to move shifts setting with Holmes tagging along Watson's press tour as his bodyguard, with Watson going to Hollywood to oversee a silent film based on his and Holmes' adventures, there's a crooked tycoon logging in the Pacific Northwest, and the series really reaches a gear when it hits the Yukon. Watson fires Womber, and the agent, horrified at spending money on all his escapades decides to kill the intrepid duo. Whitehorse reappears, while a young Nellie Bly-type journalist who has been following our heroes becomes Watson's own sidekick, and eventually agent. Womber tries to convince Watson that Holmes is a fraud, in a theatre full of people there to see Holmes, but Whitehorse flings him a dagger in the back. Whitehorse, a character who elsewhere would have been the fawning love interest is here placated as a kind of protege of Holmes, with lots of talk of tracking, and towards the end has an Eliza Doolittle transformation, but Victoria Racimo isn't given that much to do with the part. The final episodes shift even further, with Holmes and Watson (and their friends) forced to return to a Rathbone/Bruce Little Europe London of fog and fish bars, where Colonel Moran plans on interrupting Inspector Lestrade's birthday party.

Sherlock Holmes and the Prince of Darkness (1976)
Starring
Jack Palance as Leopold Vladimir Tepesh, Count Dracula
Patrick McGoohan as Sherlock Holmes
Nigel Davenport as Dr. John Watson
Pamela Franklin as Mina Harker
Sam Jaffe as Professor Van Helsing
Don Knight as Albert Renfield
Victor Buono as Dr. Seward
Ann Michelle as Lucy
Elsa Lanchester as Mrs. Westenra
John Abbott as the Mayor of Drachenfel
Carl Esmond as Gravedigger
Fritz Feld as Undertaker
George Sawaya as Laslo
Keith McConnell as Inspector
Ben Wright as Bobby
Ian Abercrombie as Stallholder
Cathleen Cordell as Saleslady

Directed by Bert I. Gordon

Though theatrically released, this independent American production feels like a TV movie. Not produced by Dan Curtis, it does use both Palance and Davenport from his 1974 Dracula, and feels visually indebted to that film in certain parts, but director Gordon feels slightly out of his comfort zone doing a stagey period piece.
Like Loren D. Estleman's Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula, it inserts Conan Doyle's characters into Stoker's narrative, but rationalises the Count. Jack Palance not-quite-reprises his part from Dan Curtis' telemovie; his "Count Vladimir Tepesh" begins as an old man, but then "de-ages" into an Edgar Allan Poe-alike in Tomb of Ligeia shades, and his body is forever shrouded in a cape. To confuse matters, his silent, hypnotic-eyed bodyguard/butler Laslo (George Sawaya) is dressed in Lugosi-type medallion, evening dress and widows' peak.

1919, Transylvania, elderly Count Tepesh (a Fu Manchu-moustached Palance in silk robes and pancake makeup - looking very like Stoker's depiction of the count) is connected with the disappearance of partying hooray-henry toffs "James Harker" and "Lord Houlmwood", and Holmwood's fiancee, Lucy. Lucy (Ann Michelle) is found in the woods, in a wedding dress, in a catatonic state, and returned to a stagey backlot London, where she is studied at "Carfax Sanitorium" by family friend Dr. Seward (Victor Buono) and attended to by her East End medium mother ("Special Guest Star" Elsa Lanchester, eating the scenery). A manic, rifle-toting Holmes (Patrick McGoohan, over-playing the huffing and puffing) and a upper-crust, authoritarian military-type Watson (Nigel Davenport) team up with Dr. Van Helsing (Sam Jaffe unusually cast - was John Carradine busy?), here an elderly garlic-flinging religious crank who reads the bible and offers Sherlock advice but looking forward to John Badham's 1979 Dracula, is effectively useless and actually hinders our heroes, and Harker's newly married wife Mina (Pamela Franklin), here a proto-feminist suffragette in jodhpurs. Lucy breaks out of her catatonic state when Van Helsing pushes a cross in her face - and she goes on a mini-rampage at the asylum including lots of neck biting and possibly switchblade-assisted bloodsucking (she also withstands bullet shots fired by Holmes), and is given Renfield-ish business like acting as a spokesperson for the Count. Michelle is nicely animalistic, and gets a neat death scene - where blinded by sunlight, her dress catches fire, and she seemingly spontaneously combusts while Van Helsing douses her in a bath full of holy water. After this, Holmes and Watson go to Transylvania with Mina and Van Helsing. In a neat inversion,it is our heroes who journey on the Demeter to Eastern Europe to meet the Count. On board, we meet skeptic Captain Varna ( a mugging cameo from Forrest J. Ackerman) and Dr. Albert Renfield of Whitby (Don Knight, doing a credible Yorkshire accent), who claims to have known Harker, and is travelling to Castle Dracula to attend as the Count's doctor. A crewman goes mad, and during a fit of insanity from the crewmen - Holmes, Watson, Mina, Van Helsing and Renfield escape in a lifeboat where Renfield introduces them to Laslo, a sinister coachman in the mould of various sinister henchmen seen in Hammer vampire movies. Laslo brings them to the castle of Tepesh, and the village of Drachenfel, where the locals (Carl Esmond, Fritz Feld, John Abbott) live in fear of the vampiric Count Dracula, alias Tepesh. An undertaker (Feld) leads Holmes to the bloodless, pallid bodies of Harker and Houlmwood. The sign of neck bites leads our heroes to Tepesh who takes Watson hostage, leaving Sherlock Holmes and Mina (using herself as bait) to invade Castle Dracula, guarded by Bride-like female bodyguards ("all the young men are dead", we are told).
Eventually, we discover that the Count is a 93 year old scientist who is working on a blood serum that can restore youth and vitality, partly consisting of human blood and hallucinogenic drugs (supplied by Renfield - hence the madness on board the Demeter), that can be transported from person to person via saliva into the blood. In shades of the Legend of Hell House, Tepesh has a mechanical left leg that helps him give him strength. . In an intriguing premise, we learn Dracula's plan is to take on Sherlock Holmes' identity in order to travel to England and "paralyse England with fear", turning them into a race of vampires in revenge for the "Wars with Britain" that his country has supposedly suffered. Palance combines Bond villain/Mabuse/Fu Manchu-style evil plans with illusionary feats of faux-vampiredom (using hundreds of badly-animated bats to obscure his terrorist attacks). In a neat twist, Van Helsing stakes Tepesh, but succeeds only in removing his arm, which spurts the serum in Van Helsing's face - "turning" him. Davenport, again given Van Helsing business has to stake Jaffe's maddened vampire hunter, but lets Dracula escape in a balloon. Holmes, Watson and Mina eventually get to London, where Tepesh, his serum backfiring is starting to age, and needs blood to youthen himself. Watson discovers that the serum is made toxic by the addition of garlic, and Holmes storms Renfield's premises, using a stake dipped in garlic to finish the Count off. Tepesh, manages to climb out of the window, bleeding but an angry mob headed by Mrs. Westenra manage to corner the Count. Tepesh melts, as the sun rises, and he is left little more than a skeleton. Mina, the lone survivor asks Watson for advice on writing her memoirs, and in a weird meta touch, offers the help of a Mr. Stoker (though the real-life Bram Stoker was already dead at the time of this film's setting).

A peculiar curio, which is far from the gothic horror spectacle suggested and is actually a pleasingly pulpy action thriller. A decent cast manage to hold the film together, despite limited sets and props (lots of Kenneth Strickfaden equipment). Franklin is especially good as Mina, emphasisng the character as a plucky adventuress who unusually has no real connection with Dracula, who here is oddly more fascinated with Watson. Palance plays Dracula here in a manner unlike his previous turn. Here, he is almost channelling Olivier's Richard III, strutting, ranting, sometimes hunched and doing long, eye-rolling villain speeches. In the final act, he does get to channel his Mr. Hyde turn, and manages to just about carry a ludicrous death scene. Unusually, it reverses the dynamic of the Rathbone-Bruce Holmes films, with Watson as the straight man and Holmes as a wacky, unpredictable comic figure. It also overuses the idea of Holmes as a master of disguise (at one point, McGoohan drags up as a gypsy woman with a Cockney accent and later, dresses as Dracula himself). However, in his scenes with Palance, McGoohan settles down and comes across as quite sinister and menacing - emphasising the idea that Dracula is actually frightened of Holmes. The adaptation is full of role shifts - Lucy fulfills Renfield's duties, while Renfield is more like Stoker's Seward, Mina steps in for Jonathan Harker, and even Mrs. Westenra is portrayed as more intelligent and useful than doddering Van Helsing. But it does have its problems. There are numerous plot holes (it's never quite explained why Lucy's dress catches on fire), and the set design is lacklustre (the all-white marble asylum is nice, but Castle Dracula is cramped). However, it has enough charm to carry itself.

Last edited: