Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absence of this entry is an error on my part; both "independent Assam" and something like "unified Seven Sisters" or "independent North-Eastern Region" should be tagged onto the existing "Kamarupa, Ahom Kingdom" option. That's the colour I would personally use for this.
What determines your colors, Just wondering? Im considering getting into map making eventually and that can be super useful to know.

Here is a representation of Ethiopia, which developed like Japan under the Meiji era towards the end of the XIXth century, and which acquired certain territories like Eritrea or part of Somalia, following an agreement with Europeans. In this TL, Ethiopia is a stable country, the second richest country in Africa and still endowed with an imperial parliamentary monarchy.

dessin 2.png

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
What determines your colors, Just wondering? Im considering getting into map making eventually and that can be super useful to know.
There have been colour schemes in use for a long time, and certain colour are just indisputably associated with particular countries (e.g British pink, French blue, Dutch orange). I mostly respect those conventions. In addition, SUCK is to a considerable extent derived from the earlier TOASTER scheme. TOASTER initially included a lot of ASB stuff and joke entries, though. The third version of TOASTER ('TOAST3R') aimed to reduce the number of entries, but became overly reductive for my tastes. So I made my own alternative. It still inherited a lot of colour choices/associations from TOASTER, though, so that's another major influence.

Beyond that, I've mostly aimed to allocate colours in such a way that similarly-coloured countries are unlikely to exist at the same time or in the same area. Feedback has been instrumental in editing away problematic 'clashes'. That process continues even now. If I may be so bold as to spam a bit: I've just posted the first step towards SUCK v4, and it still includes edits to certain colour choices to make things work more smoothly. (I'll add that, in order not to clutter the map thread, any further discussion about SUCK should ideally go in the designated thread.)

Here is a representation of Ethiopia, which developed like Japan under the Meiji era towards the end of the XIXth century, and which acquired certain territories like Eritrea or part of Somalia, following an agreement with Europeans. In this TL, Ethiopia is a stable country, the second richest country in Africa and still endowed with an imperial parliamentary monarchy.

View attachment 549687

This is lovely. I love Ethiopia, so thank you.

Teaser from the world of Pantheon's engine, or the Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project 2.0:
Egypt, Ægyptus, Khemet. By whatever name you call it, the empire of the Nile is one of the most important nations in history. Many thousands of years ago it was formed, when the Pharaoh Narmer united the statelets that had formed along the river. Egypt would be a major regional power throughout the ancient world. But like all great nations, it would not last in the same form forever. Constant invasions weakened Egypt. Nubians, Assyrians, even the Babylonians for a short while. All came and laid waste to a once glorious nation. Then, a Greek general, Ptolemy, saw how much Egypt had been weakened by corruption and invasion. Ptolemy assembled an army, and swiftly took over Egypt. But Ptolemy I was not there to conquer and pillage like so many other invading armies. He was crowned Pharaoh, in the Egyptian tradition, and he made many reforms to restore Egypt's position as a great power. He encouraged art, science, culture, and massive building projects. Eventually, because of these policies, a new technology emerged in Egypt first. The steam engine. Soon, massive ships made of wood and metal were using these engines to take them further than ever before, and make Egypt into a world power. But it was not to last. The Ptolemies were betrayed, and sent into exile, as the empire they worked so hard to build dissolved around them.
Now help us, the rightful government of Egypt, to restore the land of Khemet to its rightful place as ruler of all the land, sea, and stars!

gbw_Ptolemaic_Kemetia_1-2.png

EDIT: here's the link to the project:

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
Teaser from the world of Pantheon's engine, or the Great Big Worlda Collaborative Project 2.0:
Egypt, Ægyptus, Khemet. By whatever name you call it, the empire of the Nile is one of the most important nations in history. Many thousands of years ago it was formed, when the Pharaoh Narmer united the statelets that had formed along the river. Egypt would be a major regional power throughout the ancient world. But like all great nations, it would not last in the same form forever. Constant invasions weakened Egypt. Nubians, Assyrians, even the Babylonians for a short while. All came and laid waste to a once glorious nation. Then, a Greek general, Ptolemy, saw how much Egypt had been weakened by corruption and invasion. Ptolemy assembled an army, and swiftly took over Egypt. But Ptolemy I was not there to conquer and pillage like so many other invading armies. He was crowned Pharaoh, in the Egyptian tradition, and he made many reforms to restore Egypt's position as a great power. He encouraged art, science, culture, and massive building projects. Eventually, because of these policies, a new technology emerged in Egypt first. The steam engine. Soon, massive ships made of wood and metal were using these engines to take them further than ever before, and make Egypt into a world power. But it was not to last. The Ptolemies were betrayed, and sent into exile, as the empire they worked so hard to build dissolved around them.
Now help us, the rightful government of Egypt, to restore the land of Khemet to its rightful place as ruler of all the land, sea, and stars!

View attachment 549709
This is A+ material.

Considering it deals with Ægyptus, one might say it's ... Æ+

There have been colour schemes in use for a long time, and certain colour are just indisputably associated with particular countries (e.g British pink, French blue, Dutch orange). I mostly respect those conventions. In addition, SUCK is to a considerable extent derived from the earlier TOASTER scheme. TOASTER initially included a lot of ASB stuff and joke entries, though. The third version of TOASTER ('TOAST3R') aimed to reduce the number of entries, but became overly reductive for my tastes. So I made my own alternative. It still inherited a lot of colour choices/associations from TOASTER, though, so that's another major influence.

Beyond that, I've mostly aimed to allocate colours in such a way that similarly-coloured countries are unlikely to exist at the same time or in the same area. Feedback has been instrumental in editing away problematic 'clashes'. That process continues even now. If I may be so bold as to spam a bit: I've just posted the first step towards SUCK v4, and it still includes edits to certain colour choices to make things work more smoothly. (I'll add that, in order not to clutter the map thread, any further discussion about SUCK should ideally go in the designated thread.)
Oooh, this is very interesting and helpful and I like the New stuff you just posted, very diverse set to say the least which helps avoid all the clashes. Also nicely catorgized in your style

Are both Montreal and Quebec City the capitals of Quebec? Also wouldn't it make more sense to call it Canada? Also Ontario Territory has nothing to do with Lake Ontario. It shouldn't called that.

I should clarify, this is not my lore. I just made the map. I do know if Quebec was called Canada the screams of a million feisty Frenchman would ring out into the frozen night.

I should clarify, this is not my lore. I just made the map. I do know if Quebec was called Canada the screams of a million feisty Frenchman would ring out into the frozen night.
Before the English invasion and the creation of the ''Province of Quebec'' along the St-Lawrence, it was called Canada and most of the ''Quebecois'' were calling themselves Canadien.

Plotting behind my back, eh? It's all good, I'm excited to see what you folks do with my early, fumbling efforts.

Well then, this is my WIP for covering your 1950s-Punk Map. I kept the Red World, but I wanted to illustrate the dissension and sclerosis within it.
France is a fascist semi-democracy, from projecting forward the political unrest of the 1950s and arriving at a different conclusion (including partition of Algeria.)
The UAR has grown substantially.
Nyerere and his successors managed to establish an East African Union after all!
America is an interesting beast, that I will discuss further in the synopsis.

cd4RAlv.png

Last edited:
A WIP that I have been doing for over 2 years in extremely intermittent periods of time, for an alternate world of ASOIAF
1590015645514.png

(and here is the extremely older and crappier 1.0 version:
1590015883195.png

If anyone wants to know more about the map, ask, I haven't defined the lore completely but I have managed to make a rough delineation of the map's world in my head

Attachments

• 1590015853297.png
    1590015853297.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
The British aint coming (1870).png

Based on the inactive (or at least I think) timeline "The British ain't coming" But in my interpretation. https://althistory.fandom.com/wiki/The_British_Ain't_Coming
This is also an ASB map
The POD occurred (My version at least.) sometimes 8,500 years ago when not only of dogger sinking, The entire British isles sink as well. Nothing much change other than the Romans not invading Britain cause you know. Eventually, The Anglos and the Saxons would invade modern-day Britanny and Normandy. They would establish the Kingdom of the Anglia. The French had attempted conquest of the Angles but would continually fail. Meanwhile, The dutch and Sweedish would gain power across the world establishing colonial possessions.

I have no idea what is going on in most of this image but it is cool. Especially the more feudal realistic Westeros.
Basically it is the western Known World if ASOIAf was in the Age of Discovery, with some many other things added in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.