Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
ddxgfvv-8c690ee6-eeff-42d0-a34a-6bd31eddac73.png

I was in a bit of a creative rut when this thread on SV, about the GDR going back in time to 1918, inspired me. So here's a quick (read: ~15 hour) map I made for that scenario. I've officially reached the "I could do more for it and spice it up, but I don't want to" point with it (and am about to get started on a map to gift my dad for Father's Day, anyways), so this is probably its final form, despite originally planning to do some more with it, like adding a frame and putting some text into the empty space.
Awesome map!

A few nitpicks though:
- The border around the modern districts of Harz (GDR-district Halberstadt), Wolfenbüttel and Helmstedt is more straightened than the pre-1945 Border. The same applies to the area northwest of Nordhausen
- The cities in the GDR appear to have the 1918 (built-up area) extent. This is mostly obviously visible in Berlin, but I guess that's technical limitations
- The strip east of Zittau & the Neiße river (today's Botagynia) wasn't part of the GDR but it's a mistake that's often made. Unless it is intentional since the area was a small strip of imperial Saxony.

ddxk9x5-404618ee-03c9-48c6-9ecd-20da01de9344.png

Future history map!
Mercer’s 1978 study, West Antarctic ice sheet and CO2 greenhouse effect: a threat of disaster, predicts the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet due to man-made climate change in the 21st Century will cause a sudden and devastating sea level rise of 5 metres. This map shows how such a scenario would leave large areas of England inundated.

Let me know if you have any feedback:)

Mercer, J. H., 1978. West Antarctic ice sheet and CO2 greenhouse effect: a threat of disaster. Nature, 271(5643), pp. 321-325.

Digital elevation models from…

EU-DEM v1.1, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

This dataset was also used to determine the coastline of England and Wales after a 5-metre sea-level increase. This was done in QGIS by, in the symbology tab, setting the DEM’s minimum value to 5, maximum value to 1250 (or any number above the highest point in the map) and checking the box to clip out of range values. I exported a very high-resolution PNG of the map using QGIS’s print layout function and, in Illustrator, used the ‘image trace’ function, and touching up on the result by hand.

Rivers and lakes from…

EU-Hydro Public Beta, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

Bathymetric data from…

The GEBCO Grid, GEBCO Compilation Group (2019) GEBCO 2019 Grid (doi:10.5285/836f016a-33be-6ddc-e053-6c86abc0788e), available from www.gebco.net/. [Accessed March 2020]

I patched dodgy bits of this data that showed places like the Solway Firth and the Bristol Channel as being weirdly low-lying than they are in real life, likely due to QGIS reading missing data wrong, with Photoshop’s ‘brush’ tool.

Note on colour…

Hypsometric tint and bathymetry colours from cpt-city, a series of colour ramps accessible in QGIS. I deliberately chose a colour scheme that was brighter and more saturated than what I have previously done. This combined with the typography choice of bold lettering with swash capitals creates a retro-futuristic feel to the map that reflects the map’s inspiration: a view of the future from the perspective of a scientist from the 1970s.

Future history map!
Mercer’s 1978 study, West Antarctic ice sheet and CO2 greenhouse effect: a threat of disaster, predicts the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet due to man-made climate change in the 21st Century will cause a sudden and devastating sea level rise of 5 metres. This map shows how such a scenario would leave large areas of England inundated.

Mercer, J. H., 1978. West Antarctic ice sheet and CO2 greenhouse effect: a threat of disaster. Nature, 271(5643), pp. 321-325.

EU-DEM v1.1, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

This dataset was also used to determine the coastline of England and Wales after a 5-metre sea-level increase. This was done in QGIS by, in the symbology tab, setting the DEM’s minimum value to 5, maximum value to 1250 (or any number above the highest point in the map) and checking the box to clip out of range values. I exported a very high-resolution PNG of the map using QGIS’s print layout function and, in Illustrator, used the ‘image trace’ function, and touching up on the result by hand.

Rivers and lakes from…

EU-Hydro Public Beta, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

Bathymetric data from…

The GEBCO Grid, GEBCO Compilation Group (2019) GEBCO 2019 Grid (doi:10.5285/836f016a-33be-6ddc-e053-6c86abc0788e), available from www.gebco.net/. [Accessed March 2020]

I patched dodgy bits of this data that showed places like the Solway Firth and the Bristol Channel as being weirdly low-lying than they are in real life, likely due to QGIS reading missing data wrong, with Photoshop’s ‘brush’ tool.

Note on colour…

Hypsometric tint and bathymetry colours from cpt-city, a series of colour ramps accessible in QGIS. I deliberately chose a colour scheme that was brighter and more saturated than what I have previously done. This combined with the typography choice of bold lettering with swash capitals creates a retro-futuristic feel to the map that reflects the map’s inspiration: a view of the future from the perspective of a scientist from the 1970s.

That is a gorgeous, professionally made map. :) Your map is great, you are great, and you should feel great.

Couldn't Britain use a sea wall to prevent the Humber Bay from flooding?

NAu1VXv.png

Administrative map of Finlandised/Independent Poland in 1946, with map of World War II participation of Polish forces in various fronts ITTL

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous, professionally made map. :) Your map is great, you are great, and you should feel great.

Couldn't Britain use a sea wall to prevent the Humber Bay from flooding?
thank you so much! :) Perhaps they could, but I don't have a lot of faith in the governments' ability to quickly move resources towards vast building projects to stop climate change when they barely even acknowledge climate change today. Besides, the study I was basing this map off predicted a sudden, sharp increase in sea level, instead of a gradual one like some other scientists think will occur, so in this scenario the government might not have enough time to build large sea-walls

NAu1VXv.png

Administrative map of Finlandised/Independent Poland in 1946, with map of World War II participation of Polish forces in various fronts ITTL
Looks great, but I do have a few questions.

Any particular reason that Stettin is completely left on the German side of the border, and that Poland is allowed to retain what it gained in the Munich Agreement? Also I would have thought that the Soviets would push for a Bug River border all the way down to, say, Kamianka-Buzka. And given Brzesc's location, I suspect that the Mukhavets River might have formed a part of the border.

Last edited:
What's the POD ? No Molotov-Ribbentrop pact ?
I more of thought about general Sikorski both not dying in Gibraltar, and being able to keep better relations with the Soviet Union by realising already in 1942 (at the time of Sikorski-Majski treaty) that Kresy are already lost and he has to save what he can during the negotiations (I assumed he would also try to hide Katyń massacre from public at least for now, as to not ruin relations with USSR). This results in Eastern borders being better than OTL, and Western only slightly worse (as Stalin would still want to ruin Polish-German post-war relations to push Poland into his sphere of influence). Rest goes mostly as OTL until 1944 - NKVD does not arrest Home Army officers, and Red Army, especially Rokossovsky (a Pole himself) is more cooperative - liberating the country side-by-side with AK. Warsaw Uprising gets sizable help from Red Army, 1st Polish Army. There is no Market Garden and instead Patton (together with Maczek's 1st Armoured) spearheads towards Berlin while in Poland arrives Sosabowski's brigade. War ends around March 1945 when Berlin falls to Allies (Soviets, Brits, US and all three Polish armies).

Any particular reason that Stettin is completely left on the German side of the border, and that Poland is allowed to retain what it gained in the Munich Agreement? Also I would have thought that the Soviets would push for a Bug River border all the way down to, say, Kamianka-Buzka. And given Brzesc's location, I suspect that the Mukhavets River might have formed a part of the border.
Stettin was left on German side because i assumed Western border would be slightly less favorable for Polish side. As for Bug border I have to admit I mostly went with border of voivodeship there so probably it is very possible it could be the case. For Zaolzie I assumed that it would be either liberated by Polish forces (AK or Berling's Army) or post-war border conflict with Czechoslovakia would be resolved in more favorable way for Poland (perhaps because outside there would be more Polish troops in the country at the time or something like that), but I'm willing to concede if it is implausible.

Future history map!

Rivers and lakes from…

Bathymetric data from…

Note on colour…

This is amazing. As awful as it is to think of the cities and towns that would be underwater, it is still very interesting to see something like this.

Future history map!

Rivers and lakes from…

Bathymetric data from…

Note on colour…

Fantastic map! Unfortunately, you have the Cotswolds spelled as Costwolds. Unless, of course, some activist wanted to make a statement against mega-corporation naming rights...

So, just a really small reference map I have.

The Sasanian Empire's most important political families were the Seven Parthian Clans, descendants from Arsacid aristocracy which seem, according to new historical records, to have ruled in some form of confederacy with the Persian (southern) Sassanids, the ruling family.

There's a lot on confusion on the nature and location of these Houses, so I did a bit of a reference map that roughly delineates the areas of influence of each of the major houses.

Really nothing to be proud of, but I thought it might interest some people who are into Late Antiquity and have had problems (like me) understanding Sassanian politics.

0q436Aw.png

Ok, what if we had a sort of challenge in which we all took one of his old maps and then each did our takes on them?

Sounds good. I'll cover the 1950s Punk, in the Equal Earth Projection, because I prefer modern and near-future history, punk, absurdism.

The below map is the 1950s Punk Map by B_Munro.

I will probably get rid of the Western Superstate, to my knowledge it wasn't a major meme in political discourse until the 1990s.
I will keep the Red World, because it reflects the American's Manichean view of politics at the time.
I will get rid of the Islamic reactionaries, political Islam did not become a regnant force until decades after the 1950s. Pan-Arabism, however, was a thing of the times, so I'll have it.
I will have the French Fifth Republic be a "deliberative dictatorship," from a world where France's political tumults in the postwar-1961 era didn't end, and in fact the reactionary generals won and were able to effect a partition of Algeria.

1589928410919.png

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'll cover the 1950s Punk, in the Equal Earth Projection, because I prefer modern and near-future history, punk, absurdism.

I will probably get rid of the Western Superstate, to my knowledge it wasn't a major meme in political discourse until the 1990s.
I will keep the Red World, because it reflects the American's Manichean view of politics at the time.
I will get rid of the Islamic reactionaries, political Islam did not become a regnant force until decades after the 1950s. Pan-Arabism, however, was a thing of the times, so I'll have it.

View attachment 549477
Oh I meant if we each took the same map and did our take on it, but I always like seeing covers so what you're doing is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.