Chapter 10 - In which Mary enjoys music and misses some warning signs
“So, Prince Francis, Dauphin of France arrived in England in time for the Christmas Celebrations. There he would be struck by the dancing of one of the granddaughters of Henry VII, but to the consternation of Francis I and the delight of Henry VIII it was not the granddaughter Francis I had hoped. “
The Tudors: A Real-Life Soup Opera by Diana Marks​

“Due to the miscarriage between the Infants and her current pregnancy, Queen Anne would spend much of her third pregnancy all but on bedrest. Cloistered in her chambers, Queen Anne would be joined by her step-daughter, the Lady Mary, who was making an effort to avoid the French Dauphin. This would leave the Lady Frances Brandon to act as chief lady for the English Court’s Christmas Celebrations.”
Queen Anne: Mother of Europe by Jersha Fisher​

“It is with some regret that I have all but apandoned deer Frances. But if I am to stay true to my pledge to father I must avoid the Dauphin in all things. And in true the music found in the Queen’s chambers is of great quality and refinement. It is not great hardship to remain therein. If only I could convinse Frances to join us, it would be quite the best of days.

But Frances has said she is perfectly cabable of dealing with court without me by her side.”
Journal of Lady Mary Tudor, Wednesday December 6, 1533​

“My deerest cousin Frances has some suitor that she will not identify. He has sent some poetry and I believe they have met. I am somewhat concerned for she is betrothed, but who woald chance the anger of both mine Royal Father and Uncle Charles?”
Journal of Lady Mary Tudor, Thursday December 21, 1533​

“The Dauphin of France, that’s who. The two have eloped.”
Journal of Lady Mary Tudor, Friday December 22, 1533​

Last edited:
Oh that is FANTASTIC! Frances will make such a good Queen of France, just like her mother did before her... As long as she's allowed to stay married and her husband doesn't die, of course. Let's hope nobody thinks Mary knew or she'll be in trouble!

Oh that is FANTASTIC! Frances will make such a good Queen of France, just like her mother did before her... As long as she's allowed to stay married and her husband doesn't die, of course. Let's hope nobody thinks Mary knew or she'll be in trouble!
I fully agree with FalconHonour here and hope that the Prince will have a long and fruitful marriage with Frances.:love:

AHHHHH

Did not see that coming!
Great choice.... I would have never expected lady Frances Brandon as Dauphine of France...

The whole thing started when I kept getting Frances and Francis mixed up. Then I reflected on how Tudor Frances can be and how she really did get the short end of the stick OTL. So, now she has a chance at being Queen of France.

Mary Tudor can marry the Earl of Arran instead.

Now that’s an interesting idea. I’m thinking Henry’s going to be kinda leery of letting Mary out of England, but I’m going to have to kick that around. It would ft rather well what I have planned for Scotland.

Chapter 11 - In which a marriage is discovered
“Fortunately, Father appears to find the whole cituation hilarious. So, my deerest cousin and her new husband are safe here. But, I do not know how the King of France will find all of this. His son could have married brides far more significant than the daughter of an English duke.

But I cannot begrudge their happiness, it is like something out of a story.”
Journal of Lady Mary Tudor, Sunday December 24, 1533​

“News of the elopement of Francis and Frances broke early on December 23. The English Court buzzed as nobles waited to see how Henry would react. Luckily for the two lovebirds, Henry found it funny and was happy that someone of Tudor descent would one day be Queen of France. He would welcome Francis and Frances back to Court and placed them in some of the best rooms.

But as Henry celebrated the marriage, news was sailing across the channel to Francis I of his son’s marriage.”
The Tudors: A Real-Life Soup Opera by Diana Marks​

“… a choice bride whos own Lady Mother was once Queene of France for mine niece is of the moste excellent character and shows great devotion to His Highness Duke of Brittany. Perhaps I should express umbrage that the young Duke did abscond with my deerest niece, but I find I can not find fault in the care and fidelity His Highness offers her. As such there needs be no talk of reparations. Let us instead celebrate this most excellent marriage and the joy it brings those we love.”
Fragment of the letter from Henry VIII to Francis I regarding the marriage of Francis, Duke of Brittany and the Lady Frances Brandon​

“By reminding Francis I that technically the Dauphin was in the wrong by eloping with Frances Brandon without Henry’s permission, Henry VIII sought to put Francis I on the defense. In this way, he hoped to head off any demands Francis I may have had. As his letter traveled towards France, England waited.”
Henry VIII: England and Europe by Lloyd Hawthorne​

Last edited:
Love the chapter - I may have burst out laughing when the notification arrived - but it's Lady Frances Brandon, I'm afraid. You've got a couple of excess Francis's that have slipped the net.

But of course Henry would be cockahoop that his niece is Duchess of Brittany and the future Queen of France. However, I have the sneakiest suspicion that Francis I may not be quite so thrilled...

François et Françoise de France.
It can hardly get any more French, now can it? (In medieval and early modern French François meant both Francis and French, like in les Anglois for the English.) So in full it would have been "François, Roy de France et Françoise, Royne de France".

Last edited:
I can hardly get any more French, now can it? (In medieval and early modern French François meant both Francis and French, like in les Anglois for the English.) So in full it would have been "François, Roy de France et Françoise, Royne de France".
Just for the sake of being pedantic, “queen” in French is “Reine”.

A bit funny that their names are “French and French, King and Queen of France”