The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

Watson and Holmes (2020)
Watson and Holmes (2020)
A HBO film adapted from the 2013 New Paradigm Studios comic book series of the same name. Brian Tyree Henry and Donald Glover play the title roles. The Film reinvents Holmes and Watson as African Americans working in present day Harlem.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (2002)
A BBC film adapted from Doyle's classic novel. Noted for it's marked faithfulness to the source material.

Richard E. Grant as Sherlock Holmes
Ian Hart as Doctor John Watson
Richard Roxburgh as Jack Stapleton
Matt Day as Sir Henry Baskerville
Alan Davies as Doctor James Mortimer
Neve McIntosh as Beryl Stapleton
Ron Cook as Mr. Barrymore
Liza Tarbuck as Mrs. Barrymore
John Nettles as Mr. Frankland
Nicola Walker as Laura Lyons

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
A BBC film adapted from Doyle's classic novel. Noted for it's marked faithfulness to the source material.

Richard E. Grant as Sherlock Holmes
Ian Hart as Doctor Watson
Richard Roxburgh as Jack Stapleton
Matt Day as Sir Henry Baskerville
John Nettles as Dr. James Mortimer
Geraldine James as Mrs. Mortimer
Neve McIntosh as Beryl Stapleton
Ron Cook as Mr. Barrymore
Liza Tarbuck as Mrs. Barrymore

Richard E Grant would make a great Holmes. He's got the "look" for one thing and he can play the intelligent, sometimes obnoxious, sometimes smug bit to a tee. That's Holmesian.

I really like Riuchard Roxburgh as Stapleton and John Nettles as Mortimer too.

Richard E Grant would make a great Holmes. He's got the "look" for one thing and he can play the intelligent, sometimes obnoxious, sometimes smug bit to a tee. That's Holmesian.

I really like Riuchard Roxburgh as Stapleton and John Nettles as Mortimer too.
This is based off of an actual 2002 adaptation with most of the same cast, but with Grant as Stapleton and Roxburgh playing Holmes. Which reminds me I should probably (and regretfully) replace Nettles with a younger actor so as to be book accurate. I've also added Nicola Walker as Laura Lyons.

Last edited:
Sherlock Holmes & the Case of the Silk Stocking (2004)

Written by Allan Cubbitt
Directed by Simon Cellan Jones
Silk Stocking DVD.png

A BBC/PBS co-production. Set in 1903, the plot follows Holmes as he does battle with a serial killer of young women. The film received a mixed reaction from critics and fans alike, although the performances of Pete Postlethwaite and Philip Jackson received praise. Recently Sherlockians have come to view the story either as an underrated cult classic, or an entertaining guilty pleasure.
  • Pete Postlethwaite as Sherlock Holmes
  • Philip Jackson as Dr. Watson
  • James Bolam as Inspector Lestrade
  • Anne Carroll as Mrs. Hudson
  • Tamsin Egerton as Miranda Helhoughton
  • Perdita Weeks as Roberta Massingham
  • Jennifer Moule as Georgina Massingham
  • Eleanor David as Mary Pentney
  • John Cunningham as Bates
  • Michael Fassbender as Charles Allen
  • Jonathan Hyde as George Pentney
  • Helen McCrory as Mrs. Jenny Vandeleur
  • Julian Wadham as Hugo Massingham
  • Penny Downey as Judith Massingham
  • Nicholas Palliser as Dr. Dunwoody
  • Guy Henry as Mr. Bilney
  • Rachel Hurd-Wood as Imogen Helhoughton
  • Kristine Kavanaugh as Lady Helhoughton

Sherlock Holmes vs. Frankenstein (2019)
A French-British independent Horror-Mystery film written and directed by Gautier Cazenave. Set in 1898, the plot follows Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson as they travel to Germany to investigate a strange case in the village of Darmstadt near castle Frankenstein.
  • Nicholas Rowe as Sherlock Holmes
  • Alan Cox as Dr. John Watson
  • Eric Godon as Johann Klein
  • Shane Briant as Simon Helder
  • John Lebar as The Creature
  • Clement von Franckenstein as Baron Karl von Frankenstein
  • Nicolas Robin as Clemens von Frankenstein
  • Ben Syder as Georg von Frankenstein
  • Rod Fielder as Xavier von Frankenstein
  • Angèle Vivier as Christina Klein
  • Stéphane Roquet as Fritz
  • Adèle Cazenave as Maria
  • Jean-Claude Mornard as Ziegler
  • Stéphanie Campion as Mrs. Hudson

Driftless

Donor

Written by Allan Cubbitt
View attachment 547842
A BBC/PBS co-production. Set in 1903, the plot follows Holmes as he does battle with a serial killer of young women. The film received a mixed reaction from critics and fans alike, although the performances of Pete Postlethwaite and Philip Jackson received praise. Recently Sherlockians have come to view the story either as an underrated cult classic, or an entertaining guilty pleasure.
I really like the top end of the cast.

Driftless

Donor
A French-British independent Horror-Mystery film written and directed by Gautier Cazenave. Set in 1898, the plot follows Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson as they travel to Germany to investigate a strange case in the village of Darmstadt near castle Frankenstein.
  • Nicholas Rowe as Sherlock Holmes
  • Alan Cox as Dr. John Watson
  • Eric Godon as Johann Klein
  • Shane Briant as Simon Helder
  • John Lebar as The Creature
  • Clement von Franckenstein as Baron Karl von Frankenstein
  • Nicolas Robin as Clemens von Frankenstein
  • Ben Syder as Georg von Frankenstein
  • Rod Fielder as Xavier von Frankenstein
  • Angèle Vivier as Christina Klein
  • Stéphane Roquet as Fritz
  • Adèle Cazenave as Maria
  • Jean-Claude Mornard as Ziegler
  • Stéphanie Campion as Mrs. Hudson
What age are Rowe and Cox for this setting?

Written by Allan Cubbitt

Honestly, the casting is pretty well done. :) Postlethwaite as Holmes is an awesome idea. (Also, I could imagine him as a good Moriarty.)

A Slovak Sherlock Holmes ?!
I'm thinking of doing a short hypotehtical write-up of a 1980s or 1990s Slovak TV series based on Holmes. Let's just say someone saw the slightly older Soviet series with Livanov and co., and thought "Hey, we can do one too, maybe with more up to date filming tech where needed, etc.", so public TV eventually greenlit a Slovak attempt at a Holmesian series. Have to think over the casting choices and a write-up of adapted episodes, but I'll try to post something soonish... Preliminary casting ideas:

Sherlock Holmes - Martin Huba
Dr. John Watson - either Marián Zednikovič or Marián Slovák
Mrs. Hudson - Eva Krížiková
Inspector Lestrade - Peter Šimun
Mycroft Holmes - Milan Lasica
Mary Morstan - maybe Anna Šišková
Irene Adler - Soňa Valentová
professor Moriarty - Jaroslav Filip

Production
I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks would be that you'd have to fake a lot of the Victorian British scenery. I bet a lot of filming would be done on convincing soundstages (we rarely tended to use dedicated backlots, it was expensive for most productions) and you could redress some historical quarters of Slovak cities to create an illussion of late 1800s London, but it would be still somewhat tricky. Some of the better maintained and restored manor houses around the country could be disguised pretty well for British stuff, with a bit of creativity. (I think this is an issue in and of itself, as prior to the 1990s, plenty of historical architecture didn't receive the adequate maintenance it should have and it looks a lot better now than it has looked since at least the early 20th century. But even so, you could still use a lot of real backdrops well, provided you know what you're doing with your takes and later editing.) I am betting some props would need to be built for the series, like one or two Hansom cabs, bobby hats for the local policemen, some of the more British style 1800s furniture, and so on, but it could work well enough.

----

1990s French Arsène Lupine series ?
If the French did an Arsène Lupine series in the 1990s or so, I think Vincent Cassel would be a very good casting choice for the main character.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
I'm thinking of doing a short hypotehtical write-up of a 1980s or 1990s Slovak TV series based on Holmes. Let's just say someone saw the slightly older Soviet series with Livanov and co., and thought "Hey, we can do one too, maybe with more up to date filming tech where needed, etc.", so public TV eventually greenlit a Slovak attempt at a Holmesian series. Have to think over the casting choices and a write-up of adapted episodes, but I'll try to post something soonish... Preliminary casting ideas:

Dr. John Watson - not decided yet

Production
I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks would be that you'd have to fake a lot of the Victorian British scenery. I bet a lot of filming would be done on convincing soundstages (we rarely tended to use dedicated backlots, it was expensive for most productions) and you could redress some historical quarters of Slovak cities to create an illussion of late 1800s London, but it would be still somewhat tricky. Some of the better maintained and restored manor houses around the country could be disguised pretty well for British stuff, with a bit of creativity. (I think this is an issue in and of itself, as prior to the 1990s, plenty of historical architecture didn't receive the adequate maintenance it should have and it looks a lot better now than it has looked since at least the early 20th century. But even so, you could still use a lot of real backdrops well, provided you know what you're doing with your takes and later editing.) I am betting some props would need to be built for the series, like one or two Hansom cabs, bobby hats for the local policemen, some of the more British style 1800s furniture, and so on, but it could work well enough.
How about having Holmes and Watson make a road trip to Slovakia, at least for part of the story? That would simplify some of the production difficulties.
----
If the French did an Arsène Lupine series in the 1990s or so, I think Vincent Cassel would be a very good casting choice for the main character.
I like it!

How about having Holmes and Watson make a road trip to Slovakia, at least for part of the story? That would simplify some of the production difficulties.

I think most of the viewers wouldn't like that, and consider it either a cheap excuse, or a comedic/parody episode in disguise. :p :D

For the first proper TV series adaptaton of Holmes in the country, you have to adopt a more conservative approach to the storytelling.

I think most of the episodes would be a lot of the "greatest hits" cases from the Canon. I'll provide a list of episodes once I make my write-up.

Due to production limitations, stories featuring the seaside would not be adapted. (You could use a small backlot and stock footage to give the illussion of a seaside, but I think they'd prefer to avoid wasting time with that, on the off-chance it would look unconvincing.) Ironically, I think doing The Final Problem scenes set at the Reichenbach Falls would be a lot easier, as we have several impressive waterfalls in parts of the country that could double as the Alps. I even know of an exact mountain lodge that could double for the lodge Holmes and Watson are staying at while on the run from Moriarty. There are a few places in the country that could pass for fens and moors as well, so you could do The Hound too.

Last edited:

Dr. John Watson - not decided yet
professor Moriarty - Jaroslav Filip

Production

----

I like this. Perhaps a post Cold War fundraising idea? Sell it to the world.... Anyone else remember The Secret of Steel City and Danger on the Danube Delta?
Is there nowhere local suitable for period filming; Maigret and Cadfael both used Hungary.

I think most of the viewers wouldn't like that, and consider it either a cheap excuse, or a comedic/parody episode in disguise. :p :D

For the first proper TV series adaptaton of Holmes in the country, you have to adopt a more conversative approach to the storytelling.

I think most of the episodes would be a lot of the "greatest hits" cases from the Canon. I'll provide a list of episodes once I make my write-up.

Due to production limitations, stories featuring the seaside would not be adapted. (You could use a small backlot and stock footage to give the illussion of a seaside, but I think they'd prefer to avoid wasting time with that, on the off-chance it would look unconvincing.) Ironically, I think doing The Final Problem scenes set at the Reichenbach Falls would be a lot easier, as we have several impressive waterfalls in parts of the country that could double as the Alps. I even know of an exact mountain lodge that could double for the lodge Holmes and Watson are staying at while on the run from Moriarty. There are a few places in the country that could pass for fens and moors as well, so you could do The Hound too.
Maybe lots of interiors and more-or-less stock exteriors?

Interesting. I didn't know that of Maigret (the Rowan Atkinson version?)

I believe Cadfael also used some Hungarian film crew and actors as well.
Yep Budapest substituted for '50s Paris.
With Cadfael I think it was a costs issue.,

You know, an idea has struck me; maybe co-pro withe RTE? It'd take an unusually visionary DirGen but in the post-Cold War world anything was (briefly) possible. Dublin is a commonly used substitute for Victorian/Edwardian London...

I like this. Perhaps a post Cold War fundraising idea? Sell it to the world....

Realistically, even with some positive ATL developments that would make the Slovak film and TV industry weather the 1990s better, and offer more stuff for export than just the occassional film, there are natural limits within the distribution market and the country's soft power with helping push through and promote domestic programming abroad.

If the Slovak Sherlock Holmes series was made at the tail end of the Czechoslovak era, I feel many would also unfairly confuse it for a Czech series, even if it was a 100 % Slovak production (a more common thing in the era than it seems to foreigners - there were loads of Czech-only produced films and series, as well as Slovak-only).

I could definitely see a Slovak Sherlock Holmes series, if done well and already popular at home, being sold abroad, at least as a bit of an experiment. Just to test the waters, whether a foreign adaptation of such an iconic anglophone property could garner attention. I know die-hard Holmes fans were appreciative of the Soviet series with Livanov already back in the day, and he still seems quite popular abroad to this day, along with the Brett Holmes and Cushing Holmes, and so on. Maybe my hypothetical Sherlock Holmes played by Martin Huba could find his own niche of appreciation in the international fandom. :)

The working title for my ATL concept is the simple Dobrodružstvá Sherlocka Holmesa a Dr. Watsona ("The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson"). Abroad, in English, the series would often be nicknamed "Slovak Sherlock Holmes".

Anyone else remember The Secret of Steel City and Danger on the Danube Delta?

Not sure I know of the latter, but I certainly remember that late 1970s Verne adaptation, one of several 1960s to early 1980s Verne adaptations done in Czechoslovakia. I haven't seen all of them, and I've only seen bits and pieces of that Steel City adaptation. As much as I know the source material, I don't think I've read that particular novel in detail, but I quite liked how they visualised its setting, given that they had to rely entirely on 70s film tech and special effects. I wasn't even sure whether that film and other Czechoslovak Verne adaptations (especially the non-Zeman ones) are known all that much in the anglosphere and elsewhere abroad.

Is there nowhere local suitable for period filming

Au contraire, why wouldn't there be ?

I think there are plenty of places in Slovakia that could be a pretty good stand-in for Victorian Britain, though it would be a fair bit tricky.

It also has to happen in the early 1990s, or some political developments and film industry developments will have to be butterflied away. Slovakia had plenty of film and TV production in the 1990s, but there was a general decline of professionally, studio-produced stuff, and this also heralded the trend towards co-producing a lot of our stuff. It's only been in the last two decades that we've slowly rebuilt a more diversified domestic film and TV industry, and even that's on a different basis. It took until 2017 until one of our private networks dared to film a historical detective series, after who knows how many years since the last one was made. I feel the early 90s timeframe is good if you want to do an old-school but modern enough detective series that could be well-remembered years down the line, especially if you don't want too many deeper divergences in the 90s.

Maigret and Cadfael both used Hungary.

Seems you're right. I really didn't know that about Cadfael, but perhaps I'd notice it again if I rewatched some of its episodes. There is some good medieval architecture and there are some nice landscapes in Hungary, so it's certainly not impossible. Never would have thought that series' cast was ferried to 90s Hungary to do the shooting.

You know, an idea has struck me; maybe co-pro withe RTE? It'd take an unusually visionary DirGen but in the post-Cold War world anything was (briefly) possible. Dublin is a commonly used substitute for Victorian/Edwardian London...

That's a really intriguing concept, but given the state of Slovak public television in the 1990s, it would simply be far too expensive for the era. They did eventually do more expensive co-productions with others, and the pace has picked up again this century for higher production values programming, but in the 1990s, a Slovak-Irish co-pro would be overly difficult. Especially if Slovakia was ultimately the junior partner in the whole thing.

Last edited:
Summary of my casting ideas so far for the hypothetical early 1990s Slovak series:

I've included links to late 80s and early 90s photos of the actors and actresses, to give you a bit of an idea. (Martin Huba's 'stache is rather iconic, but I think he'd look good as a clean-shaven Holmes. At least it would be something different to his usual facial appearance.) Mary Morstan (later Watson) is introduced in The Sign of the Four, per canon.

Examples of other actors and actresses cast in guest roles in various episodes (presented in no particular order):

Also featuring: Stano Dančiak, Dušan Szabó, Zita Furková, Marián Slovák, František Kovár, Viera Strnisková, Oldo Hlaváček, Emil Horvát Jr., Maroš Kramár, Anna Javorková, Július Satinský, Elo Romančík, Emília Vášaryová, Leopold Haverl, maybe a smaller role for Jozef Kroner, and many, many others.

As there are 16 episodes, each needs a unique cast of its own, consisting of both better-known and lesser-known, as well as younger and older actors and actresses.

@Catsmate and co. - Thoughts ?

Last edited: