Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

I hope that the Americans don’t do anything stupid, at least more then normal.

Intelligence agents shadowing the son of the Kaiser who is a young man, a sailor, in a foreign port and facing some danger (smugglers probably shoot back). Suspect they are looking to see if they can find (or honey trap) some evidence or indiscretion that can be used as leverage at some point in the future.

Intelligence agents shadowing the son of the Kaiser who is a young man, a sailor, in a foreign port and facing some danger (smugglers probably shoot back). Suspect they are looking to see if they can find (or honey trap) some evidence or indiscretion that can be used as leverage at some point in the future.

Given ONI's previous track record in the field & up against Germans, I'd say that while they might be trying something along those lines, they could try something stupid ala Finley or they COULD end up being mistaken for smugglers by the pan-European anti-smuggling patrols, including one Kaiserliche Marine gunboat. Hell, they could even be mistaken for undercover cops by the smugglers, who could then take... steps. Best case scenario from Louis Jr.'s point of view is that his crew twigs to who they are & decides that some... creative measures, let us say, are required.

A bar in a Greek seaport, sailors from the Rauchbier are drinking with some colleagues from the Greek & Royal Navies:

German sailor #1: "There they are again!"
German sailor #2: "Who?"
German sailor #1: "Those Americans. I swear they're following us. They were in Piraeus, Thessaloniki and now here in Constantinople."
German sailor #3: "Shit. He's right. They are following us."
German sailor #2: "Or at least they're following the Skipper."
German sailor #3 (sips drink while watching Americans out of the corner of his eye): " Maybe we should discourage them from doing that?"
British Sailor (with an evil smile): "I have an idea or two that might help."
Greek sailor (echoing the evil smile): "My cousin is a cop, that might come in handy too."

Sometime later...

ONI agent #1: "Wake up!"
ONI agent #2 & 3: "Wha... where are we? Oh, God! What's that smell?"
ONI agent #1: "I think its a brothel & that smell is us. Now shut up, we're in trouble."
ONI agent #2: "Why are you wearing a dress?"
ONI agent #1: "Look who's talking."
ONI agents #2 & 3 (glancing down): "Shit!"
ONI agent #1: "That's what I said. Now be quiet. We have to get out of here, fast."
ONI agent #3: "I'll say. This is embarrassing."
ONI agent #2: "Those fucking German sailors! They must have set this up!"

(Shouting in Greek outside the room. The door crashes open to reveal Greek policemen.)

ONI agents (together): "Oh, shit."

If I remember correctly, Louis has already been aboard an ONI ship with a senior NCO in Schultz's line of work in Kiel or Bremerhaven I think, trading beer for cigarettes, (the idea being to give the Americans something to report thinking they've found something and to stop them looking for something real instead. Plus get a nosey round their ship under their nose.

If Louis has any sense, (and I think he does), it will be a trip to the embassy to use a secure line back to Kiel for advice on handling this.

Part 106, Chapter 1730
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Thirty

4th July 1966

Tempelhof, Berlin

In the hours before the long flight to the Caroline Islands, Kiki found herself in University Hospital having lunch with Nora Berg. It seemed that Doctor Holz had phoned and told her that Kiki had managed to get a good score on her State Examination, so when Kiki arrived in the Cafeteria to meet Berg there were dozen other Doctors who Kiki had worked with over the prior years, first as a Volunteer and later as a Medic who were there to congratulate her as well. A big surprise was Doctor Thomas Ott. Kiki had vivid memories of how the Emergency Surgeon had treated her years earlier and today couldn’t have been more different. “You’ve come a long way over the last six years Kristina” Was all that he would say on the subject.

Berg herself had an unexpected gift for Kiki.

“These are the of sort of thing that you are going to need that no on tells you about” Berg said, “They are made entirely of materials that can be shoved into an autoclave without worry as well.”

Kiki was looking at the canvas strip that held hand tools in pockets that were decidedly not of medical nature. A pair of Channellock pliers, diagonal wire cutters, a set of screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner.

“That is a bit terrifying” Kiki looking at them, thinking about the implications of that as she rolled the canvas strip up.

“You would be amazed how many times I’ve needed those and not had them, even here in the hospital” Berg replied, “Out where you’ll be, who knows how often that will happen?”

Kiki had been notified that as soon as she finished the FSR refresher training course in Laupheim, she was to be assigned to the University Hospital in Halle whose jurisdiction included much of the Harz Mountains and the portion of the National Park that were inside the State of Anhalt. That meant that the FSR Teams and attached Field Surgeons there were kept extremely busy as tourists from throughout lower Germany had their inevitable mishaps. On her way to Berlin the day before Kiki had stopped by there to get a feel for the Hospital’s Casualty Ward and had heard several jokes about Berliners getting lost in the woods.

“Thank you” Kiki said.

“You out in the field will certainly make for an interesting dissertation when you get around to writing it” Berg said.

That gave Kiki a bit of pause, that would come after she had passed the third State Exam. That was at least a couple years away. She would then be Doktor Prinzessin von Preussen, a first as far as she knew.

Berg laughed before she hugged Kiki. “That wonderful moment when you realize that all the hard work is paying off and that the end is in sight” She said.

Trieste, Austria

The seaport of Trieste was the southernmost outpost of Austria. Located on the Adriatic coast, wedged between the Italy and Slovenia, it was the home port of the Windhund until they received further notice. Louis was in his cubbyhole of a cabin opposite of the wardroom below and just aft of the bridge going through a stack of messages relayed from Kiel. Sitting in his accustomed place on the bridge, Borchardt was keeping a warry eye on the men who were doing their best to look busy when the XO was around.

“It says here that Admiral Rogge is retiring and that the crew is to be given an extra rum ration in his honor” Louis said.

“The men will like that” Borchardt replied. With the engines turned off and the Windhund moored, he was easily within earshot. “Of course, he ought to have retired a few years ago but just kept trying to get wavers. He’s a lifer like us I suppose, no home but the sea.”

Everyone assumed that Louis was going to be one of those who left the Navy kicking and screaming when retirement couldn’t be put off anymore. His fast rise from the Academy to Command as well as overwintering in Antarctica were regarded as the actions of someone like Borchardt had just described, no home but the sea. The last time he had been home, he had spent a great deal of time telling stories about his adventures to Nella and Nan with the two girls enraptured. That had caused his father and stepmother to hint at when they might expect him to consider having a family of his own. It was something that he hadn’t put a whole lot of thought into.

Louis read the next message and grimaced.

“A number of light units from the Italian and Croatian Navies have disappeared recently” Louis said, “Intelligence suspects pirates out of Albania as a likely culprit.”

“That’s all we need” Borchardt growled. He had experience with pirates in the Pacific and no romantic notions about who they were. A Corsair powerfully armed enough to take out light units was bad news for them, especially because it suggested that her Captain was adept at getting scarce when heavy units entered the picture.

The following messages were mundane in nature, relating to bunker fuel and setting crew liberty.

“Speaking of shit that we don’t need” Borchardt said as Louis could hear the men up on the deck yelling and jeering at something. Getting up from his desk, Louis climbed the ladder to the bridge and saw a familiar ship entering the harbor, the SS O’Brian, an old American flagged Tramp Steamer. From Borchardt’s perspective, the O’Brian was owned by a notorious dealer in grey market wares that frequented seaports around Europe, popular with ship’s crews but not with those charged with enforcing the rules. Louis knew better though, on top of everything else the damned CIA had just come to town.

Last edited:
With his previous dealings with the S.S. O’Brian the ONI make think that Louis is bent and given the publicity of his family’s recent financial problems there may be a feeling that the Prince is malleable to further “opportunities” to line his own pockets.

You, Sir, are evil! I Like it!

I try, Sir, I try.

In the hours before the long flight to the Caroline Islands, Kiki found herself in University Hospital having lunch with Nora Berg. It seemed that Doctor Holz had phoned and told her that Kiki had managed to get a good score on her State Examination, so when Kiki arrived in the Cafeteria to meet Berg there were dozen other Doctors who Kiki had worked with over the prior years, first as a Volunteer and later as a Medic who were there to congratulate her as well. A big surprise was Doctor Thomas Ott. Kiki had vivid memories of how the Emergency Surgeon had treated her years earlier and today couldn’t have been more different. “You’ve come a long way over the last six years Kristina” Was all that he would say on the subject.

From memory, Dr. Ott wasn't really unhappy with Kiki herself, more that Kiki had been placed into a situation that she was no where near ready for and at a time when he really needed someone with far more experience than she had at the time.

Kiki was looking at the canvas strip that held hand tools in pockets that were decidedly not of medical nature. A pair of Channellock pliers, diagonal wire cutters, a set of screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner.

“That is a bit terrifying” Kiki looking at them, thinking about the implications of that as she rolled the canvas up.

“You would be amazed how many times I’ve needed those and not had them, even here in the hospital” Berg replied, “Out where you’ll be, who knows how often that will happen?”

Those important little tools for the jobs that the official tool kit hasn't quite been designed for.

Everyone assumed that Louis was going to be one of those who left the Navy kicking and screaming when retirement couldn’t be put off anymore. His fast rise from the Academy to Command as well as overwintering in Antarctica were regarded as the actions of someone like Borchardt had just described, no home but the sea. The last time he had been home, he had spent a great deal of time telling stories about his adventures to Nella and Nan with the two girls enraptured. That had caused his father and stepmother to hint at when they might expect him to consider having a family of his own. It was something that he hadn’t put a whole lot of thought into.

Families happen in their own time. Ones that are forced or pressured* tend to be unhappy affairs. (* Arranged relationships where both parties are willing tend to work.)

“A number of light units from the Italian and Croatian Navies have disappeared recently” Louis said, “Intelligence suspects pirates out of Albania as a likely culprit.”

Piracy has been an on/off problem/industry in the Adriatic & Ionian seas since what is now Albania & Croatia were called Illyria.

“Speaking of shit that we don’t need” Borchardt said as Louis could hear the men up on the deck yelling and jeering at something. Getting up from his desk, Louis climbed the ladder to the bridge and saw a familiar ship entering the harbor, the SS O’Brian an old American flagged Tramp Steamer. From Borchardt’s perspective, the O’Brian was owned by a notorious dealer in grey market wares that frequented seaports around Europe, popular with ship’s crews but not with those charged with enforcing the rules. Louis knew better though, on top of everything else the damned CIA had just come to town.

Will any of the crew of the SS O'Brian remember Cadet von Fischer? And, now that the CIA will clearly know exactly who the skipper of the Windhund is, will shenanigans ensue between the CIA & ONI as they try to carry out their respective missions in regards to Louis Jr.? Inquiring minds wish to know...

I loathe Berg, but stuffing Kiki's gear with real world tools makes me dislike her less. I'd share a vice of mine with Nora for that, but she'd just give me shit over the matter.

On further consideration, and knowing the OTL CIA reputation for interfering in places they shouldn't & smuggling things that they shouldn't into those same places, what are the chances that the O'Brian is involved in the ongoing crap-storm?

ferdi254

Banned
Even worse now you have two(!) US intelligence agencies working in the same area with a similar subject in mind. Has this ever lead to anything other but something between a couple mishaps to full blown disaster OTL?

I'll bet you there is a certain Mr Thámnos or Mr Çali that is stirring the pot.

Probably has an identity on each side.
Without a doubt. He may have spent a short while dealing in lumber to throw people off his tracks, but he'll have his fingers in certain pies. And where there's a profit to be turned selling weapons, he'll pop up.

"Ahh Emir, how would you like to buy these small fast attack boats, formerly of the Croatian and Italian Navies, now available at a very good price..."
"What sort of price Mr Dafe"?

Perhaps Louis Jr. & his crew will be able to sit on deck drinking a nice chilled beer & eating pretzels while watching the CIA & ONI trip over each other.
As for Mr. Arbusto/Thámnos/Çali/Dafe/Shkurre , he can't be too far away. It's the type of environment that attracts people with his skill set. Perhaps he is even working with the CIA atm, especially since the US did arm the Turks in the last mutual murder-fest between the Greeks & the Turks.

Edit: His name in the Bosnian, Croatian & Serbian languages sounds a little more appropriate when viewed through the eyes of an English speaker. Grm

Last edited:
Are those any actual good or are they a placebo type thing for the families; "Look Ma, I'm perfectly safe and if anything does go wrong, I'll just use the escape tower".
We really don't know if they work. They've been tested--but tested like the Mark 14 torpedo, or tested well? Even if they work 50% of the time, that's a chance for survival that they don't have without it. In OTL, they will be part of the kit for some of the newer rockets.

As for the CIA in town--be great to get a legitimate (for some definitions of legitimate) reason to stop and search the CIA ship.

The United States doesn’t have any strategic interest in to the Mediterranean but it does have a need to show that it can project power anywhere there is an ocean plus historically there the first USNavy ships in the Mediterranean were there to fight pirates and American tramp steamers would be a high value target for pirates.

Hah, I wonder if ITTL there will be a myth of an immortal, immoral arms dealer. Perhaps some "old" Roman inscriptions of a corrupt Senator Buscus who got sacked and started selling Scorpios and Onager to any wannabe imperator.

Might make a funny archeological hoax.

I am wondering if the Illyrian pirates will be attacking the O’Brian because the deal goes south. The Windhund has to rescue them with a couple of MAS boats. Throw in some Greek marines that recognize a person or two on the O’Brian on their most wanted list, might get interesting.