Medieval America Mark III

Hmmm what are the distinct cultures that make up Medieval America

1. Dixie/Southerner : This has been covered under the Commonwealth of Mississippi and Georgia entries
7. Yankee: Not covered (might need separate entries for Midwesterner, Lake Landers, Hillbilly, Midatlantic? and New Englander)

I would definitely say if we split up "Yankee" AKA what seems to be Northerner into different sub-categories we must do the same for Southerner. Dixie for Deep South lowlands from South Carolina-to-Louisiana; Ozark for southern Indiana-to-Missouri and Arkansas; Hillbilly/Appalachian for West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and mountain Maryland-to-Alabama, and Chesapeaker/-ian for lowland Maryland-to-North Carolina. Meanwhile Northerner can be New England (including Capital Area and Adirondack NY), Mid-Atlantic (NYC metro to Delaware and PA east of Appalachians), Lakelander (Great Lakes watershed), and Midwestern/Ohio Valley (Midwest from NY/PA-to-Illinois not in the Lakelander area, above the Ohio River, and not including southern Indiana/Illinois).

I can see both Northerner/Yankee and Southerner/Southron having potential to become Han Chinese-style super-ethnicities in the future, maybe even the present-day ethnographers notice it, but it's far in the future to becoming that officially .

Last edited:

tehskyman

Banned
I agree

I think it looks something like this
Gjup9ll.png

Yankees
1. Yoopers: Hardly Yankees at all, some even call them MushMush
2. Lakelanders/Midwesterners
2b. Iowans: Cowboy influence, though largely descended from peasant immigrants
2c. Ontarians
3. Kentuckians? Theres no name for this area
4. Northern Hillbillies
4b. Amish: not sure if they would qualify as Yankees
5. New Englanders
6. Jerseyians/Tidewater

Dixies
7. Ozarkian
8. Texans
9. Arkansans
9b. Ouachitans
10. Louisianans: High levels of Creole and Caribbean influence. Might not even qualify as dixie
11. Dixie proper.
12. Southern Hillbilly: Not sure if there is a huge difference here between northern hillbillies and southern hillbillies
13. Carolinians: Like smoking Tobacco
14. Floridians

Quebecois
14. Quebecois proper
15. Vermonters: Yankee/Quebecois hybrid from repeated invasions and settlement.

I'd like to get your input/critique.

Border-wise, most really hit it on the ball to where I can't complain much at all if any.

"Kentuckians" can be Bluegrassers or western Hillbillies if a new name is needed and Tidewater can be "Mid(a)lanticans" or so since it's Delaware Valley-centered and the part of Maryland colonized by Quakers has slowly northernized all of once-southern Maryland in OTL and probably overtook it fully in ethnocultural terms by medieval America.

What's the Kingdom of Rockland?
A minor polity along the tappan Zee that was established sometime after the Jersey Wars as a Jewish-American Homeland, though Jews are still fairly free to live throughout the rest of the country. It's lead by a dynasty that (with the help of the Masons) traces his lineage back to King David. Inspired by the (possibly legendary) Caroligian Kingdom of Septimania. Though on further reflection it may have to be held to county considering America's prohibition on titles of nobility.

Non-Denominational Federalism sounds interesting, what exactly is it?
Concept devised after the end of the Jersey Wars (meaning that Catholics and crypto-Catholics would have more difficulty agitating for recognition), wherein religious minorities get some degree of autonomy and protection courtesy of Uncle Sam in line with the First Amendment, at the cost of a tax to the Church. This is theologically justified as all religions have some role in God's great plan. This case, of course, was easiest to make for the Jews considering their place within Christian eschatology. It was slightly more difficult with the Dutch considering they're arguably heretis. Compare "People of the Book".

The Worshippers of Heisenberg
While I like the concept in and of itself, the writing of the entry isn't quite in line with what I'd like for "Travels to the West." Still, fine idea in and of itself.

As to the other suggestions for 21st century references - I generally oppose these on three counts: one, it's really not clear that these things will stand the test of time, and second (and as a result) it just dates the project and makes it feel sort of crigneworthy. Exceptions here and there are fine - especially for things like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad, which I do tend to think will survive the test of time - but generally I w

1. Yoopers: I think the Yoopers being a more tribal and insular people would be a good idea
2. Lakelanders/Midwesterners:
2b. Iowans: I don't think the region should be settled by peasants. I think it's best as cowboys slowly turning to farming.
2c. Ontarians: Canadians heavilyy influenced by the Midwest
3. Kentuckians: I think Riverlands/Uplands from After the End would be good for the region.
4. Appalachians
4b. Amish: I think they would be distinct from Yankees
5. New Englander: I think it's best seeing them called Yankees
6. Jerseyan/Tidewater: Perhaps United Statesian?
7. Ozarks
8. Texans
9. Rivermen
9b. Ouachitans
10. Louisianian: I don't think they should qualify
11. Dixie:
12. Southern Hillbilly: I think Hillbilly is good enough
13. Carolinans
14. Floridians
15. Quebecois
15b. Vermonters: I like this

[Semi-Canon] East Culture Map

tehskyman

Banned
tUfHMbd.png

Ok, so refining this

Yankees
1a. Lakelanders/Midwesterners
1b. Iowans: Either cowboys who have converted to agriculture or descendants of the Iowans who lived there prior
1c. Ontarians
1d. Upstaters
2. Kentuckians
3. New Englanders
4a. Jerseyians
4b. Marylanders

Dixie.
5. Carolinians
6. Dixie proper
7. Ozarkians
8a. Ouachitans
8b. Arkansans
9. Riverlanders
10. Texans

Caribbean
11. Louisianans
12. Floridians

Hillbilly
13a. Central Hillbillies
13b. Southern Hillbillies
13c. Northern Hillbillies

Quebecois
14. Quebecois
14b. Vermonters
14c. Roostookians: Mostly tribal and french speaking

Maritimers
15. Maritimers
15b. Acadians: Speak french mostly

Boreal Tribes
16. Assorted Tribes
16b. Canucks
16c. Yoopers

Cowboys
17a. Kanadi
17b. Dakotans
17c. Nebraskans
17d. Kansans
17e. Okies
18. Vaqueros

Misc
19. Amish: Probably most similar to Yankees.

"Kentuckians" can be Bluegrassers or western Hillbillies if a new name is needed and Tidewater can be "Mid(a)lanticans" or so since it's Delaware Valley-centered and the part of Maryland colonized by Quakers has slowly northernized all of once-southern Maryland in OTL and probably overtook it fully in ethnocultural terms by medieval America.
Can confirm, I've lived in Maryland my whole life and even though we like to pretend we're Southern (only the good parts, like jazz and barbeque), we're far more Northern. Heck, I'd say that Maryland might even deserve its own subcategory of Northerner considering how much we worship the Chesapeake Bay and the most holy deity of Old Bay seasoning.

tehskyman

Banned
Hmm i wonder if the ban on royal titles might be a source of tension with Quebec.
I suggest Rockland or Tappenzy or Westchester County as names

Concept devised after the end of the Jersey Wars (meaning that Catholics and crypto-Catholics would have more difficulty agitating for recognition), wherein religious minorities get some degree of autonomy and protection courtesy of Uncle Sam in line with the First Amendment, at the cost of a tax to the Church. This is theologically justified as all religions have some role in God's great plan. This case, of course, was easiest to make for the Jews considering their place within Christian eschatology. It was slightly more difficult with the Dutch considering they're arguably heretis. Compare "People of the Book".

Ahhh. So basically Non-Denom jizya.

4b should should be renamed "Muricans", IMO, since that's the Federal heartland. Also, assuming the Novo Giorsian model, 4a should be a distinctive culture but I understand that that's not super popular.

Everyone's doing it. It's worse during times of war as privateers ramp way up. During peacetime, naval empires can go in and clear pirates out.

Jamaica is probably a hub for pirates
You know during the Golden Age of piracy the majority of pirate captains were actually voted into the position by their crew. With any loot taken being divided equally amongst the crew which led to some historians to claim pirate vessels were the first functional western democracy in the new world.

Perhaps these practices experienced a resurgence in the post regression world, even if the tech is now mostly medieval.

Does anyone know any good timelines America rebuilt into something similar to Renaissance to Napoleonic Europe instead of the medieval period?

I want to do a Renaissance America timeline where preserved books from our time are being horribly misinterpreted in various ways, skewing the reconstruction of society.

Like alchemists doing experiments with radium but skipping safety measures. Or local kings and princes trying to use communism and fascism to justify their rule.

Like alchemists doing experiments with radium but skipping safety measures. Or local kings and princes trying to use communism and fascism to justify their rule.
Plus a lot of modern scientific knowledge that was passed down orally to the point that it got corrupted into pseudo science/knowledge. While various alchemists do the same kind of experiments with electricity that inspired Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein.

Warped interpretations of American Democracy would be more likely...
I want to do a Renaissance America timeline where preserved books from our time are being horribly misinterpreted in various ways, skewing the reconstruction of society.
Plus let's not forget the inevitable schizo tech nature with armies fighting with flint or even caps locks most other pieces of tech are straight out of the renaissance or farming tools are closer to the late 19th century.

re: Pirates - lot of lore to draw from in the Golden Age of Piracy for flavor here. In terms of Jamaica being a pirate haven, Kingston may be home to a "Pirate King" - of course, this role would be largely ceremonial (and elected) since pirates would be allied to innumerable powers, from the Witch Queen of N'awleens to the burghers of Cuba, ven some loyal to the President and the Supreme Court. His role would be some minor pirate spiritual figure, and ensuring the neutrality of Kingston.

re: Pirates - lot of lore to draw from in the Golden Age of Piracy for flavor here. In terms of Jamaica being a pirate haven, Kingston may be home to a "Pirate King" - of course, this role would be largely ceremonial (and elected) since pirates would be allied to innumerable powers, from the Witch Queen of N'awleens to the burghers of Cuba, ven some loyal to the President and the Supreme Court. His role would be some minor pirate spiritual figure, and ensuring the neutrality of Kingston.
I'd imagine that the title of "Pirate King" is usually one that's claimed by a pirate of a certain legendary caliber. Pulling off seemingly impossible raids and outwitting fleets with a lot of pirate vessels flocking to these self appointed kings.

Wonder how Tortuga is these days.

I'd imagine that the title of "Pirate King" is usually one that's claimed by a pirate of a certain legendary caliber. Pulling off seemingly impossible raids and outwitting fleets with a lot of pirate vessels flocking to these self appointed kings.

Wonder how Tortuga is these days.
Perhaps Kingston was home to the first (possibly legendary) Pirate King, but was eventually overthrown.

-Neo-Medieval Piracy as usual, is a case of splitting the difference--in this case the Golden Age of Piracy and the Viking Age. (The Vikings also had a system that resembled democracy as much as not.) As it is, our image of the Pirate has been Hollywooded up, (Many were not white, nobody really buried treasure) so it helps to go back to the source. Also, I can imagine a lot of them being Cocaine addicts.

-Totalitarian governments already exist in the Hydraulic Empires. Invoking Fascism specifically would not make sense as it would be loaded (People don't want to use the term King for their feudal states) and fairly redundant. Society is already a militaristic throwback, without the industrial infrastructure that distinguishes fascism.

As for Communism, likewise, I think any ecclesiastical fiefdoms or nomadic tribes would effectively accomplish a lot of Communist goals, but without the polarizing labels, or the mass scale.

"Renaissance Level" would be around the the Eastern Seaboard and a few other places, but once you start getting to the 1600's, you get to technology and culture that has already existed in the Americas, and then you don't really have the premise anymore.

Piracy is probably based more out of the Eastern Caribbean than the west. It is incumbent on naval powers such as Louisiana and whatever the Mexican answer to Louisiana is (I'm thinking a Yucatan state) to protect certain sea lanes at a minimum, chiefly those around Cuba. However, they may not be willing or able to chase pirates back to bases as far as Puerto Rico or the Lesser Antilles.