An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

A win-win scenario does exist: the Japanese army helps to repel the Chinese invasion, but the heavy losses it takes in the process both decimates the Shimazu's internal opposition and cripples a potential invading army for the Koreans.
That would be how they get out of this intact, yeah. To get there would be a tricky path that no one but B444 has any control over.

That or.
You know.
The Japanese just leave once their foreign policy goals of maintaining their buffer state, ally, and trade partner in Korea are accomplished.

It's reverse-Imjin War! Can't wait for Roman ships-of-the-line to fight alongside Turtleships, Koreans to send diplomatic missions to Constantinople, Romans building turtleship iron-clads in the Mediterranean, and the formation of a Japanese-Korean military alliance that lasts centuries.

Just gotta figure out what the war will be called though, since it's not on Imjin-year.

There’s going to be a big thing about turtle-ships in the next update.

I’m calling it the Eulhae War, since I believe that’s the Korean year name that matches up with 1635. (The 1634 skirmish is considered a prelude, with the war only beginning in earnest in 1635.)

Well, fuck all kinds of duck.

We've got Rome, Korea, and Japan going at it with Zeng China hammer and tongs - with the Spanish Armada on its way east. Times are getting very interesting in the West Pacific.

And if this Yi Sun-Sin is anything like his OTL self the Chinese are in for some rude shocks.

Yes, very interesting, in the Chinese sense, times.

I liked the description of the battle, it reminded me the Battle of Marathon.

The bit with the palisades and climbing over the dead was taken from Byzantine history, where Khan Krum ambushed and destroyed Nikephoros I’s army.

Wait i thought Taiwan was only home to a Rhoman trade post? Also perhaps Rhomania could try to enforce less taxes on goods they sell to china. Could help mitigate some of the costs of the war

There’s not much of anything in Taiwan at the moment, save the natives.

I wonder what this will do the the Zeng as the defense of Korea during the Imjin war is credited as being one of the things that really set off the Ming's decline due to the expense of the army they sent and lost soldiers which ended in the Jurchens taking overthrowing the Ming and establishing the Qing dynasty. Granted the Zeng are a younger dynasty so their finances are probably in a lot better shape than the late Ming's but the population of China is likely also much less and poorer due to the more recent conflicts to reunite China under a native dynasty. If China manages to truly drain their manpower and treasury in this war then many of those neighbors and tributaries of theirs may decide to do some raids and border adjustments, though the Zeng will likely be able to keep China from being taken over by a foreign dynasty once more.

Zeng are in a much better shape than the OTL Ming, since they’re still a fresh rather than stale dynasty. Ming in the 1590s had a lot of other things on its plate besides the Imjin War, while here the war in Korea is the only really big issue for the Zeng.

Most likely, to try and extract more favorable trade concessions out of Japan, Korea, and potentially China. Their focus may be to the south but Japan is an important trade partner and Chinese goods are about as valuable as the spices of Southeast Asia. And I'll bet many ship lords are wondering what goods might be gotten in Korea.

The Romans are doing this mainly to stay in the Japanese’s good books. But the Ship Lords providing aid can expect some sweet trade concessions in Japan, and Korea is a new market.

B444’s casting of the Anglo-French as perfidious villains is one of my favorite memes in this TL

I have fun with that too. It wasn’t intended in the early years of the TL, but it grew in reaction to how the British Empire is so often portrayed on this site.

I wonder if Basileus actually pulls a twist on us, and despite Yi Sun-Sin's valiant efforts, the enemy actually conquers Korea. Would be interesting, Korea, the Ireland to China's UK, the eternally restless and treated really badly province.

How about a compromise, say a division on the 38th parallel?

If im a betting man, i would place my bet on zeng. Because

1. Unlike the original imjin war, China shares a land border with Korea. So you couldn't completely cut off its supply route.

2 The Spanish armada is coming, with its actual warship (as opposed to glorified patrol boats of th east) once the roman realised how much of a threat that is, they will pull back from korea.

3 China is supposed to be a world power in this world (if im guessing correctly) and the main antagonist of rome in this world. If they get trounced badly, zeng will most likely went back isolationist.

4 If they get destroyed in the Korean peninsula, then they can still hold the Yalu, which is still a limited victory.

My guess will be the roman Japanese korean alliance starts winning and push zeng back until the Spanish arrives, then stalemate.

Yeah, even if the Zeng just keep the Liaodong (which they’ve already taken) and nothing less, that still counts as a win, since that is the last bit needed to reunify China.

If they get destroyed in the TTL Imijin War it may snap them out of their isolationist mindset. If for no other reason to rekt Korea in 20 years.

Yeah, at best Korea-Japan pushes the Zeng back to the starting line. There’s no way they’re dismembering China.

Woooo!!! People of alternatehistory.com, get ready for Japan's Adventures in Korea. Round... 2!!!

150,000 is a lot. Especially if these happen to be daimyo and their samurai. Convenient way to... dispose of all those extra swords and guns. If Japan and Korea happen to win this, there will be some serious upheaval in Luoyang, Seoul and Osaka. The Zeng would be reeling in shock, 'how the hell did we lose to the Korean mongrels and the Eastern Devils?!' In Korea, expect Orthodoxy to get a big boost in such an eventuality. Plus, it could drive the development of a Korean national identity, interlinked with Manchuria. Meanwhile Osaka also gets the internal security it desires irrespective of whether it wins or loses, because the Zeng will not be able to do a serious amphibious attack on Japan anyway.

Hmm... perhaps this could be the driving event behind Korea expanding north through Manchuria into Siberia and Japan expanding into the Pacific in the future... and also, though I can't believe my own words here, a Korean-Japanese alliance against China.

The 150,000 is a lot, but that’s what Japan supposedly threw at Korea in the 1590s IOTL. There’s a good reason Roman policy directive #1 for the Far East is keep the Japanese happy. (IOTL there’s one time when a Red Seal ship sailed through a Dutch-Spanish battle; both sides put the battle on pause to let the ship pass because neither wanted to anger the Japanese.)

Cue Leo getting inspired and inventing the first ironclad.

Big oof incoming. I foresee the coalition achieving their goals in the north while the Spanish sweep the south.

The year of our Lord 1634 is noted on the Sexagenary cycle as 甲戌. Thus it shall be referred to in Chinese as the "Jingtai Korean Campaign" (景泰朝鲜之役 ), after the reigning Chinese emperor, Zeng conquest/pacification of Korea (曾平朝鲜之战 ) or the "Jiaxu War to Defend the Nation" (甲戌衛國戰爭)

Conversely, the war is called 曾寇(Sōkō) in Japanese, as the Shimazu aims to contain the Zeng. In Korean, the war is known as the Zeng (증 jeung) Disturbance (란 ran) of Gapsul (갑술). Collectively, they will be known as the Gapsul War.

Thanks. I’m actually going with the Eulhae War as the war only begins in earnest in 1635. The 1634 skirmish is a pipsqueak compared to what follows.

World War: My thought on what constitutes a ‘world war’ is a bit different. The adjective is ‘world’. To me that means a world war only needs to cover the whole world or at least the majority, not necessarily that it is a mass industrial meat grinder slaughter. That’s my rationale behind the War of the Roman Succession/Great Latin War being considered by some the first world war ITTL.

I don't think the Spanish could simply sweep Ronan Island Asia. New Constantinople could fall relatively quickly, but Pahang and in particular Pyrgos would give strong resistance. The Pyrgoi (I hope I'm not mangling the Greek too much) have faced a siege against numerically superior forces before. They've beaten back the Zeng hordes, so they definitely won't surrender to some Latin upstarts.

The Roman Ship Lords will also scramble to protect their assets, particularly in NC, since it is the gateway to the Spice Islands.

And if, by some miracle, the Spanish do indeed sweep Island Asia, they can expect the Romans to throw everything in their Indian Ocean arsenal at them. Taprobane won't be keen on losing its role as a waypoint for the Roman spice trade and Constantinople is not going to countenance leaving the Spice Islands to the Spanish.

Important nitpick. The Great Siege of Pyrgos was against the Tieh, and was defeated by a combined armada in which the Zeng were, in numbers of ships and troops, the biggest players. Luoyang has a point when it comes to Roman ingratitude.

Wonder how the Jurchen identity is going to get affected by this war? There's no way that the Korean dominance over Jurchen tribes will continue as it did, not after the Koreans get thrashed by the Chinese. Hell, if alt-Nurhaci shows up to save the day like I'm expecting him to then Korea will have to deal with a potential separatist movement. The Aisin Goro Clan and the Yi Dynasty merging their lines into a new Geum/Qin Dynasty perhaps? Korean elites might go for it out of a mix of pragmatism and hope that Korean culture will win out over Manchu barbarity in the long term. For the Manchus, they wouldn't challenge the Zeng for the Mandate of Heaven TTL, not when the Zeng are rising as much as the Ming declined. This Korean-Jurchen state that emerges will be much more defensive in nature, and willing to look outwards for help against the Chinese. Closer ties with Japan and Rhomania would be a must, so they'll be very outlooking.

The effects on the Jurchen will be one of the long-term consequences of the war.

We now know that 15 more 4 and 5th raters call then 54 and 44 gun ships are based in Pyrgos, since the 5 ships sent in support of Japan are a quarter of the force. This does not count what will be available further west or the Ethiopian and Omani navies. How many ships have the Spanish sent east? They can't have stripped home waters of warships, with the Greeks already being the superior naval power, lest Demetrios III gets ideas like sending the fleet to burn Lisbon to the ground as a way of redressing things. It's all nice and well to say war takes place only beyond the line... but this is only for as long as it's convenient to both sides.

The 5 ships sent were a quarter of ALL Roman big ships in the east. The wooden walls update specified that in all Rhomania-in-the-East, from Taprobane to Pyrgos, there are 19 4th and 5th rates. Most western naval strength in the east is still comprised of armed merchantmen instead of thin-on-the-ground dedicated warships.

Hot take: This entire war in Europe and Asia, D3, and all this world building with over a year of updates was just so B444 could have a Greek ship lord say he "wasnt expecting a Spanish Armada" joke line

I believe in EU3 there was a Spanish Inquisition decision and the description was “no one expected this.”

If China turns inwards how much does that screw the Ottomans? Ottoman trade with China is helping refill an empty Ottoman treasury. We read about how Chinese trade and subsidies are mostly responsible for Ottoman defenses in Mosul after all. Take that away and the Ottomans could be in even more trouble in the middle part of this century and beyond until they find a source of income to replace it.

The Ottoman economic troubles have to do with the Ottomans being at war almost constantly for the past few decades, between Iskandar’s wars and now the War of the Roman Succession. Iskandar brought in enough loot from his conquests and squeezed enough money for the Romans to make up for it but it was still a strain. Now Ibrahim has just had the war without any compensatory loot, with the promise of a swift renewal of said war. That’s really not good so every little bit such as the Chinese trade helps. Give the Ottomans a generation of peace and they’ll bounce back.

You guys are treating China as if it's something from the 18th or 19th century. This is the 17th.

This war is far more similar to the Japanese Invasion of Korea in the 1590s, the Sino-Dutch conflicts in the 1620s and 30s, the Sino-Russian border conflicts of the mid-late 17th century, and the conquest of Taiwan in the 1660s (kicking out the dutch) and 1680s (conquering the natives). And during that time there was an entire change of dynasty too.

Stop thinking about the Opium Wars, those conflicts are two centuries removed, or the fall of the Qing.

This is much MUCH more analogous to the rise of the Qing than anything else. China was only recently unified under Zeng control in the 1610s after HEAVY losses.

China right now, especially given what B444 said in the update about the Chinese consciousness about foreign invasion, is in an expansionist and rising period not a complacent inward looking one. This war will most likely see in China, win or lose, an end (or at least limit to) this dynasty's expansionist phase given the cyclical nature of Chinese history. But no way in hell is it going to lead to a dynastic collapse or period of warlordism, it was just unified and hasn't had the time to grow inwardly corrupt. That and the swaths of dead people area reminder to the national consciousness in China that civil war is bad. Egos that have forgotten such a thing have not yet risen in this short period of time.

This.

True dat. A question though. What if the Romans divert the flow of silver to Japan? Tell them to make lots and lots of porcelain or whatever and "advise" Mexican galleons to buy stuff in Japan?

The Japanese also produce a lot of silver (this is from OTL as well as TTL) so they don’t want or need Mexican silver. Plus if the Romans start messing with other people’s trade, everyone can just relocate back to Ryukyu and have them be the convenient middleman, in which case the Romans get squat.

I’m rooting for a Stalemate here- I don’t want Korea annexed, but I’ve grown quite fond of the Zeng, and it’d be nice to have a China that isn’t balkanised, irrelevant or communist in a timeline.

Given China’s high (and therefore complacent) status in the pre-industrial world, I can’t see them avoiding a very rude shock when the Industrial Revolution hits. That said, I want it to be much less rough on China than OTL. (I think China would’ve had it better IOTL if the Qing hadn’t clearly been past their ‘best by’ date by the early 1800s.) They’ll have to scramble and play catch-up, but nothing like a century of humiliations.

My goal is that when the TL gets to the tech-equivalent of OTL 1920, a unified China is one of the great powers, but just one of the boys as opposed to a superpower.

Whats up with Athena? Haven't heard from her in a bit. I hopfully she'll keep Odysseus from going overboard with the brutality
It's been a while since a Roman update, there's a bit of disconnection with the main story. IIRC after the Korean war is wrapped up we'll be going back to D3 and co!

We’ll be getting back to Constantinople and the Sideroi. But there’s been a change of plans. It makes more sense to me now to go from the Korean War to the Spanish War, wrap up all the current eastern threads, and then head back to Constantinople and see what’s been going there during all this time.

My immediate thought with this war is that the Koreans better be careful. Obviously Chinese domination is a danger, but they also just invited in a massive army from Japan. They may be allies for now, but 'inviting foreigners over to help' has been the prelude to invasion many, many times in history.

Yeah, that’s always a risk. But then Danjong isn’t exactly the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

TL popularity: Yeah, there’s absolutely no chance in hell that something like this could be made into an HBO show. Alternate history can only be popular when people know the actual history; that’s why most popular alternate history is Nazi or Confederate victories; people know that’s not what happened in reality. While most of the general public doesn’t know the Byzantine Empire even existed, much less anything about it.

I’ve occasionally toyed with the idea of turning the young Andreas story, from the Black Day to the fall of Rome, into a fantasy story in a fantasy world. Turtledove’s done a lot of that; many of his fantasy books are fantasy versions of portions of Byzantine history.

If this were to be a show/story, the Andreas plotline would probably be it. Unless you wanted to do a short story about the War for Asia, that'd be more like the length of a movie.

TL popularity: Yeah, there’s absolutely no chance in hell that something like this could be made into an HBO show. Alternate history can only be popular when people know the actual history; that’s why most popular alternate history is Nazi or Confederate victories; people know that’s not what happened in reality. While most of the general public doesn’t know the Byzantine Empire even existed, much less anything about it.

I’ve occasionally toyed with the idea of turning the young Andreas story, from the Black Day to the fall of Rome, into a fantasy story in a fantasy world. Turtledove’s done a lot of that; many of his fantasy books are fantasy versions of portions of Byzantine history.
There's a local author here named Guy Gavriel Kay who's pretty damn prolific at writing fantasy stories based on real history and/or historical settings. I've read his books on Celtic Mythology and got his one on the collapse of the Song Dynasty for a friend.

I think he did one set in a world inspired by the reign of Justinian.

Once you're done with not the end do you think you'll make it into an actual book? If so I would totally buy it, i know it's alot of work though

Why do I get the impression that they aren't going to get that anytime soon?
Cause probably they wont have that peace. They're at war with the afghan warlord if i recall correctly and that's right after the truce with romans happened. Its not that easy to defeat the afghans especially in that mountainous area. By the time it ended, im sure that their still on the slumped in both military and economic sense.
They might have some few years at peace but that will end immediately with the truce expiration. And we know that they are going to lose hard and braking the back of their empire.
They'll have peace once they have reorganized themselves after that brutal war, but even then their so diminished.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Cause probably they wont have that peace. They're at war with the afghan warlord if i recall correctly and that's right after the truce with romans happened. Its not that easy to defeat the afghans especially in that mountainous area. By the time it ended, im sure that their still on the slumped in both military and economic sense.
They might have some few years at peace but that will end immediately with the truce expiration. And we know that they are going to lose hard and braking the back of their empire.
They'll have peace once they have reorganized themselves after that brutal war, but even then their so diminished.
But they will still be enough of a power to give Rhomania a bloody nose and take back some of the lost land if the foreshadowing is to be believed. They probably get that peace they need by writing off the west as "Here be Dragons, or Phoenixes. Avoid at all costs." until they get their northern and eastern theaters back in order and reorganize their core territory.

Last edited:
There's a local author here named Guy Gavriel Kay who's pretty damn prolific at writing fantasy stories based on real history and/or historical settings. I've read his books on Celtic Mythology and got his one on the collapse of the Song Dynasty for a friend.

I think he did one set in a world inspired by the reign of Justinian.

I wouldn't call him "local", his book are even in smalltown libraries in Croatia. Given he's from Canada, that's a nice reach. And he usually mentioned as one of the better modern fantasy authors.

The book (actually series of two books) about Justinian is Sarantine Mosaic. Great books.

But they will still be enough of a power to give Rhomania a bloody nose and take back some of the lost land if the foreshadowing is to be believed. They probably get that peace they need by writing off the west as "Here be Dragons, or Phoenixes. Avoid at all costs." until they get their northern and eastern theaters back in order and reorganize their core territory.
This is only a guess/speculation of mine i think khorasan and the afghan area will probably be independent. It's always been a rebellious area for the persians. I think it will take atleast 2-3 generations for them to recover from anything short of having a military capable of bloodying Romans and holding said lost lands. Well it wouldn't matter for Rome to lose some lands in Central Mesopotamia. It only needs erbil and mosul after all it effectively chokes any invasion down. As long that frontier cities hold as well as its ally georgia holding some fortress and cities in northern western persia peace will finally be set with the christians in a position of strength.

Ok now that i think about it its actually a more beneficial in the long run that rome losses the land that they have overextended.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call him "local", his book are even in smalltown libraries in Croatia. Given he's from Canada, that's a nice reach. And he usually mentioned as one of the better modern fantasy authors.

The book (actually series of two books) about Justinian is Sarantine Mosaic. Great books.
I say local more because he's from my city than because he has lack of reach but that is an impressive distance.

I'd actually argue that you're thinking about it from the wrong angle. Instead of presenting it as alternate history they'd present it as historical fantasy without actually changing much. Most people would relate to it as a medieval warfare show akin to Game of Thrones (just without the magic) if they don't look into it. Maybe something like The Last Kingdom (itself about history hardly anyone knows about, though not alternate).