Less smart, but also suffering a double dose of grief if Anne and Edward of Middleham died very close together - that's not going to be helping his state of mind either...

But excellent, Elizabeth is being sensible and staying put in sanctuary for once...

I wonder whether Richard will make more of an effort to marry again here, if there aren't the months between Edward's death and Anne's that there were historically...
Well after giving up her younger son Richard, Dowager Queen Elizabeth was stopped from trusting anymore her brother-in-law by a message of her eldest daughter who implored her to remain in the sanctuary with her sisters and wait for help from Maximilian.

Well Richard can try to marry Joanna of Portugal as OTL but he the truth is who no ruler will marry his daughter/sister/niece/cousin to him before the end of the inquiries about “King Edward’s great matter” as that was already called in all the European courts...
Is not a case who Richard is trying to blame a curse from Elizabeth Woodville as cause of the deaths of his son and wife, because in the back of his mind he know who their deaths were a divine punishment for the killing of his nephews...
Plus is not like who the Iberian kingdoms want Frederick and Maximilian as enemies so Richard has no chance to get a bride in short time and in any case his time is running out...

Yes...deciding to come forward with Stillington's revelation when Elizabeth had already married to a powerful Continental prince with legitimate Lancastrian blood...very poor choice indeed.
Well he is definitely dumber than OTL so he is unable to see the plotting who are going on under his nose as Max, I think for the surprise of nobody, is almost ready to invade England and as he know what happened to his brothers-in-law (and knew that shortly after it happened and well before the birth of his son), he had called back Elizabeth and their son (whose name is NOT casual at all) as he need them close as he plan to crown her and rule England in her name if he will win England...

Does Dickon really have a choice in this scenario? He needs allies who can stave off Maximilian/Burgundy
I wonder if he'll get Joanna of Portugal ITTL. Though Maximilian also happens to be Joanna's cousin sooo
He would try to get Joanna of Portugal but he would be unsuccessful and in any case his time is running out so I am not sure he will be able to make a tentative

France maybe? Enemy of my enemy?
Welp, there goes the Treaty of Arras.
France has nobody to offer, is in a sort of caos after the death of Louis XI, and the regent Anne de Beaujeu is already unable to help her aunt and cousin in Navarre as she need to keep her attention on possible rebellions of the most powerful lords AND is waiting who Maximilian will decide to respect the pact and give her his daughter (Margaret of Austria-Burgundy) who is the fiancé of her brother Charles VIII. Do you really believe she would be interested in helping Richard (who is not friend of France)? Anne had already decided to stay out of everything about England and if she will have the chance she would support Madeleine and Catherine in Navarre (pretty unlikely as Catherine’s uncle who is claiming the crown of Navarre is married to the sister of Orléans and would be better not giving him more reasons for being angry/rebel as the latter is both the first prince of blood AND next-in-line after her brother AND still irate because her father had forced him to marry her sister Joan, who is not healthy)

Just remembered that France wouldn't really be in much of a position to do anything about it.
Yes, exactly. Anne is already furious because she can not help her aunt and cousin in Navarre...
Still she would feel better when Maximilian will sent her Margaret after resolving his English troubles (and as Anne has rightly guessing who that is the reason for MaximilIan’s decision to not give them yet his daughter so she is waiting without pressuring him)

Last edited:
Ok, I decided to try to write another POV from someone on the other side, just for making clear the situation: who you would like better? Archduke Maximilian, Archduchess Elisabeth or one of the Tudors (the one who will fit better between Henry, Jasper or Margaret Beaufort)

Ok, I decided to try to write another POV from someone on the other side, just for making clear the situation: who you would like better? Archduke Maximilian, Archduchess Elisabeth or one of the Tudors (the one who will fit better between Henry, Jasper or Margaret Beaufort)
Seeing as I really have no idea what he could be thinking, perhaps Henry Tudor. Or Margaret Beaufort.

Elisabeth. She'll know more about both sides motivations, I think, certainly than the Tudors at any rate.
Seeing as I really have no idea what he could be thinking, perhaps Henry Tudor. Or Margaret Beaufort.
Well Max is the one who is doing everything, while Elisabeth know only what her husband had told her. Remember she has given birth around December in Vienna (and Max leaved her there during the summer) and has just joined him in Burgundy, and right now I do not know if Max told her more than the basic (likely not)....
About Henry, Margaret, Jasper the POD well be from one of them but I can not promise specifics on any of them as again I am not exactly sure of what they know exactly (Margaret is in England, Jasper and Henry in Brittany). Still as Richard III heard Henry had more-or-less tried to claim the English crown against the usurper Richard, promising to marry princess Cecily, and had a good reason for doing it...

Part 5 - May 1484 Henry Tudor
Flanders, late May 1484

Henry Tudor was impatiently waiting for the ship to dock at the harbor, something who had caused his uncle and worse also Oxford to mock saying who he was waiting impatiently his bride... that was hardly true, specially as both the possible brides who his mother and uncle had asked for him to Archduke Maximilian were still young, Margaret of Clarence not yet 12 years old and Anne St. Leger only 8 years old, well excluding the fact who if finally luck was on their side, both girls would be on that ship, together with Margaret’s brother Edward of Warwick and Dorset with his wife and children...
If everything had done well, unlike the failed plot to free the King Edward V and his brother from the Tower... well that had been unfortunate but at least the boys’ eldest sister Elizabeth, now heiress of the Yorkist claim, had married a man of indisputable Lancastrian ascendency, uniting their claims and giving a strong leader to follow to all the enemies of Richard III and the hope to a victorious return at home to the exiled Lancastrians...
If everything had gone in the right way, then that was the first step to going back at home and being able to see again his beloved mother... and that was the true reason of his impatience and the reason for which he accepted to play the part who the Archduke, soon to be King of England, had given to him: he was not interested in the Crown of England or marrying princess Cecily, but he wanted return at home with his uncle, recover his father title and a semi-royal Yorkist wife (hopefully either of the girls on that ship, at the worst one of their Suffolk cousins) was only a well valued extra...
The Archduchess Elisabeth herself, stepmother to the ruling Duke of Burgundy was there and also looked impatient and worried and more stunning than ever (well he was not interested at all in her sister but maybe in another world in which Elizabeth of York had not married Archduke Maximilian he would have gladly married her and ruled England together with her...)...
Leaving that fantasies, Henry noted who the ship had finally docked and the passengers were disembarking and the Archduchess was embracing a smiling man, likely her brother Dorset, who was not worried at all. Was possible who this time everything had gone as planned and now Archduke MaximilIan’s invasion for freeing England from the tyranny of the false King Richard would start in the best way possible?
Yes, things looked like that... well looked like his uncle was saying something to Dorset and the Archduchess and he had a suspicion to know about what they were talking and who he would not like that at all, at least judging from the Archduchess‘ laughter and now Oxford and the Archduke, who also had arrived for receive his guests, together with Dowager Duchess Margaret were calling him... Resigning himself to his fate he reached the group and was introduced to the newcomers... well at least both Margaret aNd Anne were pretty enough and the first looked to be a smart and determined young girl and likely his bride to be... Well he would gladly marry her, if that was his destiny he had no complain... unless he was mistaken Margaret of Clarence would make a great Countess of Richmond...
Now hopefully the last provisions would go fine and they would seal soon for England and destroy the Usurper...

I knew it....
Well was pretty easy... Here Richard believe to be really smart but is pretty dumb and luck has definitely left him once for all...
(read again the last two chapters and tell me what Richard has no yet understood)

Last edited:
If someone is wondering: that fascination of Henry Tudor for Elisabeth will go nowhere and will pass soon. He will marry Margaret of Clarence (as he suspected he will get the best match possible, as Max will want reward him the most and will offer Anne St. Leger to another) in three or four years and they will be very happy together and will always remain loyal to Maximilian and Elizabeth.
Elizabeth instead is very happy to see Dorset there alive because she know who her elder half-brother is the only brother she had now as the other three were killed by her uncle Richard (and she would never forgive him for that, at the point she was absolutely indifferent to the deaths of Edward of Middleham and Anne Neville )

Last edited:

krieger

Banned
Plus is not like who the Iberian kingdoms want Frederick and Maximilian as enemies so Richard has no chance to get a bride in short time and in any case his time is running out...

Maybe Richard should start looking for a bride in countries, who are already in odds with Max and Frederick? And you know, there is at least one country which is conflicted with Max and Frederick and is occupying half of ancestral holdings of these so powerful men. It's name is Hungary, although Matthias has no daughter on his own, his wife has kinswomen in Naples (who happen to be also kinswomen of Iberian monarch), if I was Richard I would search for bride there.

Maybe Richard should start looking for a bride in countries, who are already in odds with Max and Frederick? And you know, there is at least one country which is conflicted with Max and Frederick and is occupying half of ancestral holdings of these so powerful men. It's name is Hungary, although Matthias has no daughter on his own, his wife has kinswomen in Naples (who happen to be also kinswomen of Iberian monarch), if I was Richard I would search for bride there.
He will not get any bride from there as they have no marriageable princess available as Beatrice’s nieces are all already engaged and/or too young

Last edited:

krieger

Banned
He will not get any bride from there as they have no marriageable princess available as Beatrice’s nieces are all already engaged and/or too young
Isabella of Aragon is 14 yo in 1404, king of England is better match than Gian Galezzo Sforza, and Max's claim is empty without force backing him and if Hungarians decided to attack while Max is away in England.....

Isabella of Aragon is 14 yo in 1404, king of England is better match than Gian Galezzo Sforza, and Max's claim is empty without force backing him and if Hungarians decided to attack while Max is away in England.....
Isabella of Aragon is born in 1470 so she is good for Richard III...but the Habsburgs might block it since she might pass through their territories.