Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Can Barack be VP after being President?
It would provoke a constitutional challenge the Supreme Court would have to rule on given the text of the 12th and 22nd amendments.

"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States." - 12th amendment

However, this has never been ruled on by the Supreme Court, and there is an argument that the 22nd amendment permits a term-limited former president to be elected vice-president and then serve out the remainder of the current president's term should they succeed to the office. It's an issue that's been discussed a few times, mostly related to Bill Clinton hypothetically serving as VP after 2000.

Grey Wolf

Donor
It would provoke a constitutional challenge the Supreme Court would have to rule on given the text of the 12th and 22nd amendments.

"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States." - 12th amendment

However, this has never been ruled on by the Supreme Court, and there is an argument that the 22nd amendment permits a term-limited former president to be elected vice-president and then serve out the remainder of the current president's term should they succeed to the office. It's an issue that's been discussed a few times, mostly related to Bill Clinton hypothetically serving as VP after 2000.

I recall reading about this for Kissinger - eligible for VP, but not for president. There was discussion about this.

In theory the 12th amendment seems unnecessary - after all, he could be skipped over in the line of succession so that the next one down gets the job, with the VP staying in place as VP

I'm sure this has been brought up before and I would not be surprised if it's considered a minor cliche at this point, but I may as well pose the question anyway.

What if Italy had been part of the Central Powers in World War I? They were part of the Triple Alliance that would later form the core of the Central Powers and indeed were a founding member alongside Germany and Austria-Hungary but stayed neutral at the start of the war before joining the Allied Powers a short while later.

I don't think Italy would've been quite as a reliable ally for Germany, but they were certainly more formidable than Austria-Hungary or the Ottoman Empire, both of which were seen as vestigial empires. Plus there's the fact that Austria-Hungary would not have to fight a war on two fronts and instead focus all their attention on the Russian front while Britain and France could not even make it to Gallipoli without encountering resistance from the Italian Navy augmented by the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman naval forces as well..

If Italy sided with the Central Powers in World War I, I think it would have still ended with an Allied victory but the war would have been a lot bloodier and lasted a few years longer, and would be even longer and bloodier if the United States doesn't get involved in 1917.

It's discussed often. The main Italian contribution is tying down additional French troops, giving Austria-Hungary a free hand against Russia and Serbia (meaning Russia goes down early), making the Mediterranean a major naval theater, and keeping the rest of the Balkans neutral/CP allied.

Unfortunately for Italy, they still get a meat grinder in the Alps and now also have to deal with crippling shortages of coal and other critical industrial necessities that ensures Italy is a drag on the other Central Powers. But the Central Powers probably win by virtue of earlier Russian collapse even if Italy looks just as bad or worse as OTL by the end of the war.

McPherson

Banned
It's discussed often. The main Italian contribution is tying down additional French troops, giving Austria-Hungary a free hand against Russia and Serbia (meaning Russia goes down early), making the Mediterranean a major naval theater, and keeping the rest of the Balkans neutral/CP allied.

Unfortunately for Italy, they still get a meat grinder in the Alps and now also have to deal with crippling shortages of coal and other critical industrial necessities that ensures Italy is a drag on the other Central Powers. But the Central Powers probably win by virtue of earlier Russian collapse even if Italy looks just as bad or worse as OTL by the end of the war.

Luigi Cadorna, next to the Russian generals of the eastern front, the biggest handicap to the Entente. This clown, all by himself, probably would singlehandedly wreck any Med. campaign the Central Powers attempted.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Why was Hitler's OWN Nazi salute almost horizontal? Whether to the front, as with Mussolini, or to the side, e.g. on review, his salute is not the diagonal vertical we associate with the Nazis, but all but flatly horizontal. Why?

Why was Hitler's OWN Nazi salute almost horizontal? Whether to the front, as with Mussolini, or to the side, e.g. on review, his salute is not the diagonal vertical we associate with the Nazis, but all but flatly horizontal. Why?

He was the boss. The boss does what the boss wants.

Driftless

Donor
Any suggestions for a good readable bio of Blackjack Pershing? I've read John Perry's "Pershing" (part of the Generals series)

McPherson

Banned
Have you tried "Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing" by Frank E. Vandiver? it is a 2 volume set first published in 1977. Current publisher is Texas A and M University Press.

Driftless

Donor
Have you tried "Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing" by Frank E. Vandiver? it is a 2 volume set first published in 1977. Current publisher is Texas A and M University Press.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check into It. I'm enough of a cheapskate where I'll try the library first and used copies next :biggrin:

Grey Wolf

Donor
I once saw a documentary that said that during the overthrow of Allende in Chile British planes were used to bomb his palace. I don't know if it meant British manufactured planes, or ones flown by British pilots (on assignment to the CAF) etc. But watching the documentaries I can find now on Allende, there is no mention of this at all... So did it happen?

Where can I find the information on what ships were funded per year for major navies? i.e. USN 1911 program, RN 1927 program, MN 1919 program, etc.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Trying to work out timing for Canadian Pacific Railway or AH analogue

For example, nearly 7000 km is around 4000 miles. At 40mph that's around 100 hours??? Seems quite fast...

Of course there would be stops along the way to overnight. So would 4 days non-stop, or 8 days with stops seem a realistic proposal?