What would you like the format to look like for TMG5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I personally advocate full branching options but in case of limited branching IMO there should be no more than 7 total generations between first and last map and branching should accommodate that goal.

Hey all, as this game is about to begin, I would like to take a moment and encourage everyone this round to avoid the common cliches of Alternate History. I've seen a lot of maps in games like this involve Rome for no reason, or just make one empire bigger and last longer. These games also tend to be Eurocentric or Northamerocentric, bouncing back between an slightly different Europe and an alternately colonized New World. I would like to advocate for the idea that you explore and push your boundaries when creating your maps. Map a continent or subcontinent you've never done before. Do research into a culture that you've never written about before. Push your new map halfway across the world from the one you received. These games are the perfect way to push your creative boundaries and make something truly unique and extraordinary. Just be careful not to fall into the common tropes and cliches that are often recycled over and over again. With that said, I can't wait to see what you all create!

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Hey all, as this game is about to begin, I would like to take a moment and encourage everyone this round to avoid the common cliches of Alternate History. I've seen a lot of maps in games like this involve Rome for no reason, or just make one empire bigger and last longer. These games also tend to be Eurocentric or Northamerocentric, bouncing back between an slightly different Europe and an alternately colonized New World. I would like to advocate for the idea that you explore and push your boundaries when creating your maps. Map a continent or subcontinent you've never done before. Do research into a culture that you've never written about before. Push your new map halfway across the world from the one you received. These games are the perfect way to push your creative boundaries and make something truly unique and extraordinary. Just be careful not to fall into the common tropes and cliches that are often recycled over and over again. With that said, I can't wait to see what you all create!

Or Francia somehow managing to creep its way into every edition. :biggrin:

I don't even mind a Rome or Francia, so long as it's original. I must admit that I'm tiring of the Frankish civil wars and Roman colonial empires though

I don't even mind a Rome or Francia, so long as it's original. I must admit that I'm tiring of the Frankish civil wars and Roman colonial empires though
Yeah my map in edition two was made in the hopes of people making it an original "what if Germany and France were swapped" TL. Unfortunately didn't result in much directly relating to that.

I'm very guilty of shoving Rome into my maps so I'll keep it in mind o_Oo_O

Maybe the next editions should have a message/soft rule about trying to avoid cliches followed by a list of cliches? Or if enough people are for it a banned nation/trope list to avoid repetition?

Furiously tries to remember what map I sent and if it involves Rome.

In all seriousness while I agree I am guilty of this in previous telephone games I completely agree with this opinion. If I were you I would copy and paste this into the main post on the first page as a reminder.