Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I see from the Catalonia post that Luxembourg is in fact part of Belgium. :(
Belgium is a confederation in this world, so they technically still exist.

Yes indeed, Luxembourg is a constituent country of Belgium ITTL. I know that contradicts something I said earlier, but Belgium has been very much influx recently.

I have a country and election box ready for Belgium, just pending write-up, which I hope to share soon. But at the moment it's Germany, French election season, and then back across the pond for a quick look at a bit of New England. Then maybe Belgium or the Basques...

Germany

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
When you are in lockdown and are procrastinating from your job it's amazing what you can achieve. I'm quite chuffed with how this map turned out, and I think this is a real improvement on the old version which i was never quite happy with.

rd293tC.png

3bzfI9q.png
The German-speaking states, also known collectively as simply Germany, the German countries, the German nations, rarely the Germanies, and sometimes poetically as Germania, is a geopolitical term used for grouping the seven sovereign states in Central Europe which speak dialects of the German language: Austria, Brandenburg, Hanover, Hesse, Raetia, Rhineland and Saxony. Although neighbouring Belgium, Czechoslovakia and Switzerland also have German-speaking populations, they are not considered German states as they never formed part of the German Confederation or its successor states.

All seven countries cooperate on a regional level in several intergovernmental organisations, including the Frankfurt Group, and all are members of the European Union, and with the exception of Hanover, members of the Eurozone. Brandenburg, Hesse, Raetia, Rhineland, and Saxony are full members of the European Defence Organisation (also known as the Brussels Treaty Organisation), while Hanover is an associate member as part of the Common Defence Pact, and Austria is a neutral state and an EDO observer. The German states are all governed under parliamentary democracies, five of the states are constitutional monarchies, while Rhineland and Raetia are republics, although the latter recognises three of it state governments as sub-national monarchies.

Historically, the territory of the German states formed the core of the Holy Roman Empire, and later the German Confederation, which also included parts of modern Czechoslovakia and Belgium, and eventually evolved into the German Empire in 1871 after the Franco-Prussian War. The new Empire, under the Prussian House of Hohenzollern, unified the 26 German states under a single Emperor, excluding Austria which remained a separate empire under the Habsburgs. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the German Empire rose to great power status, establishing an overseas colonial empire and forming a military alliance with Austria-Hungary and other smaller nations, known collectively as the Central Powers, in opposition to the Triple Entente. Their defeat in the First World War led to the collapse of the multinational realm of Austria-Hungary, with its constituent parts becoming independent republics, while the German Empire overthrew its monarchies and transitioned into the unstable Weimar Republic. Initially the First Austrian Republic sought annexation into the new German republic, but remained independent until 1938.

The rise to power of the Nazi party in Germany in the 1930s saw the re-militarisation of the German armed forces, and the establishment of a centralised totalitarian “German Reich”, more commonly known internationally as Nazi Germany. Austria was annexed into the Reich in 1938, a process known as Anschluss, marking the first time that every German country was united as a single sovereign state. German aggression and irredentist claims against Czechoslovakia and Poland culminated in the outbreak of the Second World War, during which time the German-led Axis Powers conquered and occupied most of Europe. Nazi Germany was defeated in 1945, and the territory was occupied by the Allied forces of France, Brazil, and the United Empire. Although immediate post-war conferences proposed the restoration of a united Germany under a pro-western monarchist government, with Britain proposing the head of the House of Hanover as German Emperor, the French government opposed a strong German state on its border. A proposal by the British Chancellor, Henry Morgenthau, in 1945 would eventually be adopted in 1949, with the division of post-war Germany into the modern seven states.

Referenda held in each country established new constitutions and governments; Hanover, Brandenburg, Saxony, and Hesse voted to restore their historic monarchies, while Rhineland and Raetia adopted republican constitutions. Austria initially formed the Second Austrian Republic, which lasted until 1955 when the House of Habsburg returned to the throne under newly crowed King Otto II, opting for a kingdom rather than an empire. The seven countries formed the Frankfurt Group in 1950, to foster cooperation between them based on building political and cultural ties. Rhineland became a founding member of the European Economic Community in 1958, with Raetia and Hesse joining in 1973, Brandenburg and Saxony in 1990, and Hanover and Austria in 1995. The German states represent some of the richest and most developed countries in Europe, and after France represent the single-largest and most influential industrial and political block within the European Union. Although the Vereint für Deutschland ("United for Germany") movement currently holds seats in every German legislature, supporting a policy of German reunification, opinion polls consistently show low support for reunification, instead supporting the increased integration of the German states into the European Union.

kiCVdZl.png

Last edited:
The Crown

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Is Liechtenstein still an independent country? And if it is, why is it not included in the "German-speaking states"?
I suppose similar to Switzerland it has never been part of Germany and thus wasn't part of the partition.

Liechtenstein is no longer an independent state, hence why it is not mentioned or included amongst the German-speaking states.

Is there any series like Netflix's "The Crown" in the TL?

Oh go on then. Thanks to @Turquoise Blue for the idea about a documentary series focusing solely on the British PMs.

rd293tC.png

z2WBIoO.png

Last edited:
Liechtenstein is no longer an independent state, hence why it is not mentioned or included amongst the German-speaking states.
How? Was it annexed by Switzerland after WWI? (since in OTL it was actually specified in the treaty of Versailles that Liechtenstein (they wrote the name wrong, BTW) would remain independent, or somehow it was annexed on the Treaty of Vienna or when the German Confederation end? (in OTL the first had Liechtenstein remain independnet as a gift to the ruling prince, a major Austrian general and diplomat in the Napoleonic Wars who also ruled over vast fiefdoms in Austria and Bohemia; while the second had Liechtenstein's independence specifically reafirmed in the treaty that ended the German Confederation)

Last edited:
How did Southern Germany become republican, wasn't Bavaria one of the regions that supported the return of monarchy the most in Germany at the time (while the House of Wittlesbach was even persecuted by the Nazis because of their anti-nazist sentiments)?

The description gives three sub-national monarchies. I'm assuming that this is Baden, Wurttemberg and Bavaria, with Bavarian Swabia and Bavarian Franconia being republics.

About the Germanies, I believe that Rhineland and Raetia would get (so much) more tradition in terms of soccer than the rest (like Savoy in the Italian peninsula). Also, the UEFA Champions League slots' draft would be a hell to do it :biggrin:.