Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact, the map file is my "Cold War and Modern Era (1945-Present)" folder, so no.

I mean what it is (nuclear armed Afrikaner nationalist crazy racist DPRK South Africa) is pretty clear but the PoD is harder to find. The PoD is also 1945-Present I imagine?

Gian

Banned
I mean what it is (nuclear armed Afrikaner nationalist crazy racist DPRK South Africa) is pretty clear but the PoD is harder to find. The PoD is also 1945-Present I imagine?

Yup. You'll just have to wait and see the final product.

SpudNutimus

Banned
Might as well post these now since the timeline is dead anyway. Presenting: the nations of Second World Problems, a map series in which I crammed as many post-Soviet states as possible into a single timeline. Don't ask about lore because there really wasn't any, it was just an experiment to see how many SSRs I could fit into the Soviet Union without fucking up history.
karakalpakstan swp.png
tuva SWP.png
carpathia swp.png
lithuania swp.png
vitsa swp.png
birobizshan swp.png
caucasus swp.png
crimea swp.png
kalmykia swp.png
karelia swp.png

cakkavatti_bayinnaung_by_spiritswriter123_ddu0s0l-fullview.jpg

Hey look, a real history map. Haven't made one of these in a while (both maps in general, and real history maps :p). This depicts, to the best of my ability, the Empire of Bayinnaung, Emperor of Burma of the Toungoo Dynasty. I'll admit, I might have stretched some of the normal conventions of what was considered part of Bayinnaung's empire, but not without reason. Kandy and Kotte, while not often considered directly part of the empire, both benefited from Burmese interventions against Portuguese Aggression. Yunnan seems to have been a troublesome borderland for both China and Burma, and both extracted taxes from territory between the Mekong and the modern Burma-Chinese border.

One thing I want to note on: I couldn't find any sort of banner/flag/coat of arms used by Bayinnaung or the First Toungoo Dynasty, so for the capital city at Pegu, I just the symbol of the Hanthawaddy Kingdom, which ruled over Pegu and the other core regions just before being conquered by Bayinnaung.

Nope. Not even close.

Another clue: The names in parenthesis (if any) are the names the United States, UK, and the rest of the world recognizes.
I’m guessing some sort of reversal of OTL South African history, where the natives and whites got along until Afrikaner reactionaries overthrew the government in the 90’s?

This should give you (and by extension everyone) a better clue. Still a WIP btw:
southafrica.png
Looks good although I do have some issues:
1.Two Rhoodiesdorps in the same province? Gonna get confusing? Perhaps name it after Riebeeck?
2. Lower Orange province looks like a Cape hinterland and doesn't really make sense. I would divide the area in three: the "real Lower Oranje" around Springbok and from Prieska; secondly Swellendam could serve as another provincial capital for the Central Karoo and Garden route districts; and finally Graaff Reinett for the eastern part of the area could theoretically extend till the Oranje river
3. Upper and Lower Rivierland and Oosteland don't really fit. .. as far as we know that there was historically Zoutpansberg Republic or division in the region of OTL Limpopo province. Oosteland could be renamed to Lydenburg

Gian

Banned
Looks good although I do have some issues:
1.Two Rhoodiesdorps in the same province? Gonna get confusing? Perhaps name it after Riebeeck?
2. Lower Orange province looks like a Cape hinterland and doesn't really make sense. I would divide the area in three: the "real Lower Oranje" around Springbok and from Prieska; secondly Swellendam could serve as another provincial capital for the Central Karoo and Garden route districts; and finally Graaff Reinett for the eastern part of the area could theoretically extend till the Oranje river
3. Upper and Lower Rivierland and Oosteland don't really fit. .. as far as we know that there was historically Zoutpansberg Republic or division in the region of OTL Limpopo province. Oosteland could be renamed to Lydenburg

1) First up, "-dorp" (village) is different from "-stad" (city). And second, never forget the dripping egomania in a way that makes Kim Il-Sung look sane by comparison.

As for the provinces, I didn't drew that at the time I posted this pic, but
2) See note 2.
3) Thanks for the tip. I was struggling to name that. As for Lydenburg, well the city that gave the republic is name is well to its north (unsuitable for an administrative center; though then again, the same could be said of Swakopmund), and I was trying to convey "Eastern Land" that same way OTL's Mpumalanga (literally "Eastern" in most Nguni languages) was

Last edited:
This should give you (and by extension everyone) a better clue. Still a WIP btw:
southafrica.png
That DMZ along the entire border suggests TTL South Africa is some sort of pariah state. The obvious though not only possible reason is because they still practice apartheid TTL.
The expansion looks like quite a natural one based on how tied those countries are to SA OTL. They’re mostly independent because SA didn’t want them at the time when they had the opportunity.

Independent Barotseland and a lasting Rhodesia-Zimbabwe to the North suggest some differences in decolonization of Central Africa.

The renamed provinces of OTL Namibia lead me to a man named Andries Treurnicht, who wanted to continue Apartheid OTL. My guess for a POD is that he becomes Prime Minister.

Gian

Banned
That DMZ along the entire border suggests TTL South Africa is some sort of pariah state. The obvious though not only possible reason is because they still practice apartheid TTL.
The expansion looks like quite a natural one based on how tied those countries are to SA OTL. They’re mostly independent because SA didn’t want them at the time when they had the opportunity.

Independent Barotseland and a lasting Rhodesia-Zimbabwe to the North suggest some differences in decolonization of Central Africa.

The renamed provinces of OTL Namibia lead me to a man named Andries Treurnicht, who wanted to continue Apartheid OTL. My guess for a POD is that he becomes Prime Minister.

As for Treurnicht, not even close. You're going to have to wait for the final product (If you're really insistent on who the man is however, look to the "gou" on the right above Stellaland as well as some of the other cities and features named after the "Eternal State President"

hey quick question, what's that map that after ww3, nuclear winter kicks in, and the ussr, uk, usa, and china all move south to escape the cold?
found it

1586077127681.png

Another century in the world without islam has passed, and this map shows the prevailing writing system used in each in province. Distinct writing systems are Songhaic, which developped from Tifinagh, and Mande script in Mali which developped from Songhaic. Further eastwards, we have Mazouni (pink in Oman) descended from Syriac. Similalry Kinara script on East African coast is syllabary based upon the Brahmic script of India; Somali Qoraal is based upon Himyaritic
Europe:
Latin is used throughout much of western Europe, making it with the Vinlanders to North America as well; the Lusitans have brought it to the Macaronesian islandas as well, and Latinate kingdoms have established it at the Atlas Mountains in Tamasga (Maghreb) as well
Cyrillic is used mainly by Slavic Orthodox peoples, such as the Russians and Serbs
Greek is well used in the Rhomaic Empire
Gothic script remains in use in Crimea
Glagolitic remains a thing in Croatia
Vlach is a distinct script used by the Latinate peoples of the Balkans. It is based of both Latin, Greek and also some Cyrillic inspiration as well
Old Turkic script is the dominant in the western Steppe, particulalry in the Golden Horde
Manichean script is used by the Bolghars at the confluence of Volga and Kama rivers
Khazar script is used in Dagestan
Asia
The Caucasus sees the Armenians,Georgians and Aghbanians use their distinct scripts. Samaritan,Hebrew and Mandaic are used by their respective communities in small numbers (Note Hebrew is to be found in Mesopotamia; large part of Jerusalem and surroundings uses Greek script); Syriac is among the dominant writing systems from Syria throughout Mesopotamia into the Persian Gulf. Mazouni depicted in pink is used in Mazoun (Oman)
The Arabian Peninsula sees two additional scripts,Arabic and Himyaritic (South Arabian)
The Iranian Plateau uses Pahlavi script. Further along the Silk Road we can see Sogdian and Uyghur which has become also the standard writing system of the Turks further westwards.Kharoshti is the standard writing system used by Buddhist communities along the Silk Road. Ultimately in the east we have Mongolian,Manchu, and Chinese Characters. However, the Yuan dynasty has established a diferent official script for their empire, the Phags-pa, based upon Tibetan
As for the Brahmic scripts, no major differences from OTL, with expcetion of the Landa script around Punjab, which is closely connected to Roshblani Manichean religion.
Africa
Tifinagh script is closely connected to the Berbers, who have introduced writing in Songhai; Songhaic script got adapted to Mande phonology in Mali; in the east, we can see Coptic in Egypt,Nubian further south, Geez in Ethiopia, Himyaritic in Qafar and Qoraal in Somalia. Kinari writing system in East Africa is descended from the Brahmic scripts.

(For comparison, below is the colour key used for this map. Note that Chinese characters nor Japanese are coloured accordingly)

1586077202186.png

ddu3orc-933fb3b3-f7ab-4b78-b0c1-5e50f8605f64.png

For this map of modern Scotland, I aimed to refine the process of scramming as much into a map as reasonably possible without sacraficing legibility or aestetics. Like my 1789 France map, I am pleased with how it has turned out. NOTE: please consider this map the product of having literally nothing else to do while the country is in lockdown.

Once again, feedback hugely appreciated
:)
thanks to all who gave great feedback on my France map!

Topographical data from…
EU-DEM v1.1, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

Bathymetric data from…

The GEBCO Grid, GEBCO Compilation Group (2019) GEBCO 2019 Grid (doi:10.5285/836f016a-33be-6ddc-e053-6c86abc0788e), available from www.gebco.net/. [Accessed March 2020]

Historic counties boundaries from…

Ordnance Survey Boundary Line Historic Counties: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin… [Accessed February 2020]

Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland, 2019, Open Data Largescale Boundaries – County Boundaries, available from osni-spatial-ni.opendata.arcgi…. [Accessed March 2020] Contains public sector information licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0.

Population of Scottish settlements from…

National Records of Scotland, 2016. Population Estimates for Settlements and Localities in Scotland, Mid-2016. [Online], available from www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statisti…. [Accessed April 2020]

The decision to use settlements (which includes multiple localities) over localities (which are individual communities of over 500 people) is made to increase map legibility. Towns such as Bonnybridge are therefore depicted larger than their actual size so to reflect the population of the neighbouring localities within the greater settlement.

Population of Northern Irish settlements from…

Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency, 2011. Census 2011 Key Statistics: Usual Resident Population. [Online], available from www.ninis2.nisra.gov.uk/public…. [Accessed April 2020]

Population of English settlements from…

Office for National Statistics, 2013. Usual resident population. [Online], available from www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011…. [Accessed April 2020]

Motorways and principal roads from…

Ordnance Survey Strategi: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin… [Accessed February 2020]

DIVA-GIS: Lizard Tech, Inc., the University of California, 1995-1998, available from www.diva-gis.org/gdata [Accessed April 2020]

National parks from…

Ordnance Survey Strategi: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin… [Accessed February 2020]

Visual hierarchy note: A larger font size than that which denotes a shire is used to denote a major city. The opposite is true for small towns. This is because one in Scotland primarily identifies with the major city if they are from, but the county if where they are from is not a major city. For example: ‘I am from Glasgow’ is more common than ‘I am from Lanarkshire’ if one is from Glasgow. However, ‘I am from Fife’ is more common than ‘I am from Cupar.’

Towns, both in England, that do not fit on the map are…

· Ryton

· Blaydon
Again, it's not alternate history, but my aim with maps such as this one and the France one I did previously is to create maps of a country in OTL so that I can edit them if I ever do an alternate history on them. This is partly because I am stumped for ideas and I just kinda wanna make maps instead of doing a whole timeline and stuff

ddu3orc-933fb3b3-f7ab-4b78-b0c1-5e50f8605f64.png

For this map of modern Scotland, I aimed to refine the process of scramming as much into a map as reasonably possible without sacraficing legibility or aestetics. Like my 1789 France map, I am pleased with how it has turned out. NOTE: please consider this map the product of having literally nothing else to do while the country is in lockdown.

Once again, feedback hugely appreciated
:)
thanks to all who gave great feedback on my France map!

Topographical data from…
EU-DEM v1.1, © European Union, Copernicus Land Monitoring Service 2019, European Environment Agency (EEA), available from land.copernicus.eu/imagery-in-… [Accessed December 2019]

Bathymetric data from…

The GEBCO Grid, GEBCO Compilation Group (2019) GEBCO 2019 Grid (doi:10.5285/836f016a-33be-6ddc-e053-6c86abc0788e), available from www.gebco.net/. [Accessed March 2020]

Historic counties boundaries from…

Ordnance Survey Boundary Line Historic Counties: Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018, available from www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busin… [Accessed February 2020]

Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland, 2019, Open Data Largescale Boundaries – County Boundaries, available from osni-spatial-ni.opendata.arcgi…. [Accessed March 2020] Contains public sector information licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0.

Population of Scottish settlements from…

National Records of Scotland, 2016. Population Estimates for Settlements and Localities in Scotland, Mid-2016. [Online], available from www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statisti…. [Accessed April 2020]

The decision to use settlements (which includes multiple localities) over localities (which are individual communities of over 500 people) is made to increase map legibility. Towns such as Bonnybridge are therefore depicted larger than their actual size so to reflect the population of the neighbouring localities within the greater settlement.

Population of Northern Irish settlements from…

Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency, 2011. Census 2011 Key Statistics: Usual Resident Population. [Online], available from www.ninis2.nisra.gov.uk/public…. [Accessed April 2020]

Population of English settlements from…

Office for National Statistics, 2013. Usual resident population. [Online], available from www.nomisweb.co.uk/census/2011…. [Accessed April 2020]

Motorways and principal roads from…

DIVA-GIS: Lizard Tech, Inc., the University of California, 1995-1998, available from www.diva-gis.org/gdata [Accessed April 2020]

National parks from…

Visual hierarchy note: A larger font size than that which denotes a shire is used to denote a major city. The opposite is true for small towns. This is because one in Scotland primarily identifies with the major city if they are from, but the county if where they are from is not a major city. For example: ‘I am from Glasgow’ is more common than ‘I am from Lanarkshire’ if one is from Glasgow. However, ‘I am from Fife’ is more common than ‘I am from Cupar.’

Towns, both in England, that do not fit on the map are…

· Ryton

· Blaydon
Again, it's not alternate history, but my aim with maps such as this one and the France one I did previously is to create maps of a country in OTL so that I can edit them if I ever do an alternate history on them. This is partly because I am stumped for ideas and I just kinda wanna make maps instead of doing a whole timeline and stuff

What program do you use to make these? They're amazing!

Skallagrim

Banned
Another clue: The names in parenthesis (if any) are the names the United States, UK, and the rest of the world recognizes.
Insane Afrikaner dictatorship? (I note that every border is a DMZ.)

(But if something like that is happening here, the why are some of the province names still in English? 'Cape' should then be 'Kaap', 'Lower Orange' should be 'Neder-Oranje', 'Upper Orange' should be 'Opper-Oranje', 'Lower Rivierland' should be 'Neder-Rivierland' and 'Upper Rivierland' should be 'Opper-Rivierland'. Maybe I'm just way off-base.)

Status
Not open for further replies.