The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Having South Africa being the world bad-guy is going to do *interesting* things to the diamond market. Where does the politically conscious westerner (just to pick a country, a Canadian) get their diamonds these days? And what country do the South Africans ship their black market diamonds through?

Where does the politically conscious westerner (just to pick a country, a Canadian) get their diamonds these days?
Implies the average person cares enough to bother look at where their stuff came from and will acknowledge the uncomfortable truth. Even in OTL most of us don't care what it took for our cheap goods & affordable gas came from.

Do most countries treat the Bantustans as South African puppets and refuse to do business with them?

They get Western aid since South Africa isn't going to help them on a humanitarian basis. Then criminals within these regions are paid off by Pretoria with diamond money to transport the aid to South Africa instead, and no one can do anything.

> A fundamentally democratic China with freedom to protest and gay rights with OTL South Korea living standards
> The CHAD Katanga
> Better global economy
> Imperial Federation
> Stable Middle East
> Good guy Israel
> Africain-Americans are better off than OTL
> The Fascists in Italy have chilled out
> No wacky Islamists
> Peaceful Afghanistan
> Ethiopian recovery
> M o o n B a s e
Overall, a bit closer to heaven

Bittersweet ending.
>Communism and Nazism are completely seen as abominations.
>Antisemitism is probably an all-time low.
>And yet we basically have the Fourth Rich reincarnated in South Africa.

I'm gonna say it. Mussolini completely destroying the Slovenes was a stupid evil moment on purpose to either make sure others in-timeline didn't doubt his strength or make sure we as the readers didn't get to like him to much. You needed him to do something evil with seemingly very little reason so as to make him more of a morally contested figure rather than a direct good thing for Italy.

While playing as a Jewish Red Army soldier would be tragic given TTL's history, a Soviet campaign would be as likely as an Axis campaign would be IOTL: not happening.
Although I think you're for the most part right about that, and it would definetly be very controversial, something like that could be a good criticism of both the Soviet and German regimes that still shows them as people. Stuff that pushes the line on what is and isn’t acceptable in regards to telling stories about these time periods and the people living under regimes like this. As stories criticizing them that are told from their perspective definetly exist in OTL (like JoJo rabbit), and although such a thing would no doubt be controversial it could still be extremely intresting and thought provoking.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say it. Mussolini completely destroying the Slovenes was a stupid evil moment on purpose to either make sure others in-timeline didn't doubt his strength or make sure we as the readers didn't get to like him to much. You needed him to do something evil with seemingly very little reason so as to make him more of a morally contested figure rather than a direct good thing for Italy.

Wouldn't be the first action in history, think about what Genghis Khan did to the tangut, I think historians would see Mussolini's actions with a similar light.

@Sorairo if you don't mind I have a few more questions.

1. Is Gabon still an integral part of France ITTL? How has its annexation by the French affected its development and culture?
2. Does Turkey's identify lean more towards Europe or the Middle East ITTL?
3. How are modern relations between members of the ITO and of the CIS?
4. Do the United States and the UK still have a "special relationship" or did the Wallace presidency prevent that from happening?

Once again thank you for taking the time to write what's been an amazing timeline.

@Sorairo if you don't mind I have a few more questions.

1. Is Gabon still an integral part of France ITTL? How has its annexation by the French affected its development and culture?
2. Does Turkey's identify lean more towards Europe or the Middle East ITTL?
3. How are modern relations between members of the ITO and of the CIS?
4. Do the United States and the UK still have a "special relationship" or did the Wallace presidency prevent that from happening?

Once again thank you for taking the time to write what's been an amazing timeline.

1) Yes - much lower population, really strict on illegal immigration. It's about Poland levels of devlopment.

2) It advertises itself as the medium, but its eyes are on the M. East.

3) Like OTL East Europe and West Europe - vexation rather than hatred.

4) They have a relationship more akin to France and America, with some economic tension over Canada.

Flags of 2020
Flags.png

While I try to figure out the issue with the infoboxes here are the flags of this world.
Yes, this is what quarentine does to one.

View attachment 534201

While I try to figure out the issue with the infoboxes here are the flags of this world.
Yes, this is what quarentine does to one.
Oh, wow, that's really cool. Incredible job! How long did this take you? Secondly, there are exactly 40 less sovereign states (UN members specifically) than in our timeline, 143 compared to 193. Maybe geography classes are a bit easier in this timeline.
Edit: Anyone else going to be rereading this timeline in quarintine?

Last edited:
Oh, wow, that's really cool. Incredible job! How long did this take you? Secondly, there are exactly 40 less sovereign states (UN members specifically) than in our timeline, 143 compared to 193. Maybe geography classes are a bit easier in this timeline.
Edit: Anyone else going to be rereading this timeline in quarintine?

Thanks! About the time ... I don't wanna talk about that *insert PTSD dog meme*.

What is the situation of supersonic airliners?

My guess:
-Concorde went more or less as IOTL;
-Boeing 2707 reached production and started flying;
-Tu-144 was at most in an underfunded development phase when the USSR collapsed. Obviously it then got cancelled;
-I guess Italy developed its own version too. It could have been flying routes like Rome-Israel-Asmara, or maybe to China;
-At this point SSTs should be more popular, so I imagine that also ROC developed one, with first flight in the 90's

@PatrickMtz Superb work there!

What inspirations did you use for the countries that don't exist OTL?

Really shows all the variance in the world's flags.

Well, for the most part I used related flags like in the Tatarstan, Tuva, Dagestan, they have OTL flags as Russian Republics. Same for the Bantustans. Cairo just edited OTL flag and put the Great Pyramid on it. And so on.