TL-191: After the End

Hence the need for naval aviation, to complement the inevitable nuclear-powered subs.

David, are we going to see more? Be interesting to see what the Japanese are up to and how the non-aligned countries are trying to steer between the big powers.

Hence the need for naval aviation, to complement the inevitable nuclear-powered subs.

David, are we going to see more? Be interesting to see what the Japanese are up to and how the non-aligned countries are trying to steer between the big powers.
Yeah,MOAR!!
im sorry, i thinkive gone crazy or something...

That's if TL-191's Japan is at bad at ASW as IOTL (which stands to reason, they don't have any foes who are submarine happy) the German Empire would still need to have the striking power to at least engage the Japanese military and industrial base.

Absolutely. The most forward German naval bases are in the western Indian Ocean. To reach Japan they have got to fight their way through Indonesia and head North. It would be easier for the USA to repeat OTL by island hopping across the Pacific.

There is also another point to be considered. The Germans still have to keep their eye on the British, French and Russians. The USA is now in the same strategic position of OTL in that it has no enemies on the same continent. Now with no Confeds it can reduce the sire of its army and commit that part of its defence budget on a navy to take on the Japanese.

In addition there is no reason why the two superpowers can not have an unspoken agreement that Germany has a free hand in Africa and the USA a free hand in Latin America. That would give each one a supply of raw materials plus makets for exports.

I just realized something. TL-191 is a precursor to 1984. A defeated Britain, The US is Oceania, Germany and Russia are Eurasia, and Japan is Eastasia.

I thought the US and the British Empire united and became Oceania.
Technically NOTHING in the book should be taken at face value since the big brother government is known to lie about everything. It could be possible that Oceania is only made up of Britain minus Ireland and the British Government went insular after the Second Great War.

Technically NOTHING in the book should be taken at face value since the big brother government is known to lie about everything. It could be possible that Oceania is only made up of Britain minus Ireland and the British Government went insular after the Second Great War.

Or it could all be a single world government or any number of things - Like you said, trust nothing.

But back to the subject at hand, Germany has relatively little reason to fight Japan at this point since they have effective dominion over Europe, an ally in the Near East, and effective control over all of Africa. Japan can remain doing whatever they want as a potential foe for the US, remaining British colonies, and the Russian Far East.

One thing i thought of when i read the series the last time was the following: How long would Flora Hamburger be able to hold on to her seat in the house? And btw, how old was she when the series started? She was a young activist in 1914 and if the rules are the same in HTs univers as in ours she was minimum 25 at the time. 30 years passed since that so she is nearing her 60ths

One thing i thought of when i read the series the last time was the following: How long would Flora Hamburger be able to hold on to her seat in the house? And btw, how old was she when the series started? She was a young activist in 1914 and if the rules are the same in HTs univers as in ours she was minimum 25 at the time. 30 years passed since that so she is nearing her 60ths
Maybe she is TL-191s equiv. to Strom Thurmond.

Please continue this David, it's a good story.
Seconded! Also, I just read the first few pages of In at the Death in the library earlier today... the first time Clarence Potter talks to another character, guess what characteristic gets immediately mentioned and explained.

Go on, you'll never guess... :rolleyes:
(his "damnyankee" accent)

Seconded! Also, I just read the first few pages of In at the Death in the library earlier today... the first time Clarence Potter talks to another character, guess what characteristic gets immediately mentioned and explained.

Bump.........................................

The fact that he speaks like a Yankee, which is of course the second biggest secret of the series. The first of course is a certain US sailor's propensity to damage by solar radiation.

David

So two massive military empires in a cold war situation with nukes. Who do you think will come out on top in the end. Also are any of the conquered powers going to be able to restore their independence?

Steve

Actually you kinda do have three nuclear powers coming out of this war. It's very unlikely Britain's going to stop manufacturing nukes even though they all but admitted they lost the exchange.

I'm not saying the Empire(can you even call it that anymore by this point?) is going to be a superpower, but they will be a factor. I could even see the Brits cozying up to the US against Germany in the Cold War.

Stands to reason that Japan will get nukes at some point in the 50's. Possibly even Russia.. lotta places to hide a pile in Siberia.

Only real clearcut winner in this war is Japan it seems.

David

So two massive military empires in a cold war situation with nukes. Who do you think will come out on top in the end. Also are any of the conquered powers going to be able to restore their independence?

Steve

The USA and Germany aren't really in a Cold War. As of 1961, they're certainly rivals, but they don't have anything to fight over.

France and Britain will be a ways better off by the end of the century in TTL, but they'll still be in Berlin's shadow.

David, are you going to catch up on things? Finding out what Japan, Russia, the Ottomans, and the other regional powers are up to needs to be done; it's been a while.

The USA and Germany aren't really in a Cold War. As of 1961, they're certainly rivals, but they don't have anything to fight over.

France and Britain will be a ways better off by the end of the century in TTL, but they'll still be in Berlin's shadow.
Exactly... more like France and Britain after WWI than anything else. They are historical allies (i.e. for about 100 years now), and have the occasional trade dispute and so on... but when the chips are down, they are on the same side against some mutual enemies.