The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Wow!

This timeline has been an amazing ride, and that was a brilliant chapter to finish @Sorairo. Brilliant work .

South Africa? Worse than I thought it would end up. Hope Mandela was able to survive here.

Imperial Federation rather than EU? Makes sense to me! I can see this working well for the Commonwealth countries. Maggie leaves a huge legacy here.

I take it Lybia is Italy not a serperate country?

Is Cairo overrun with Muslims or christians in Christian North Egypt? I got confused there.

All round a superb timeline - I hope it makes it to Sealion Press and wins all the awards.

Mandela survives, but he dies effectively a no one, receiving asylum in America because the situation was too dangerous in his designated homeland.

Libya is an Italian province.

Cairo is still a free city not technically part of either state to ensure no one can claim the mantle of being the real Egypt, but higher numbers and birthrates have pushed the Coptics out of Cairo, which is increasingly dominated by Muslims.

What happened with the Suez Canal? I can’t remember when it was last mentioned in the thread.

Still maintained by the British and French (though they've let the South Egyptians get a slice since). No way are they letting a CIS power get a hold of it - Israel affirms the Franco-British settlement.

Holy shit.

A) It's finally over.

B) I hate to be repetitive, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

An Imperial Federation, Austria-Hungary reborn, and a South African Hitler?

I have to say, I'm almost hungry to see how those came about.

I mean, SA Hitler seems pretty straightforward - if utterly horrifying - but the rest is fascinating.

France - oh, De Gaulle's just rolling in his grave, isn't he?

Germany/Japan - My god, we have a Dual Pact that has sincerely repented for their sins yet still has some teeth - well, not so much of the repentance on Japan's part, but still! Wunderbar. Heil Kaiser dir. As for Japan... Military anime. Don't know what those chaps are complaining about :D. Is the Rising Sun (with stripes) an acceptable symbol internationally?

Austria-Hungary - The return of the Hapsburgs has come, and it is glorious. Meanwhile, somone from the AFP is singing "I'm holding out for an Anschluss!". Still, I'm happy the poor chewtoys of Italy got a somewhat happy ending, and it's always good to see the eternal waltz of the Dual Monarchy's twin kingdoms start up again.

...Still, the bordergore will be a travesty.

Casually bring up that you’re South African in a bar in Europe and the whole establishment goes quiet before kicking you out.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry reading this.

The SA regime here is just as horrific as it was built up to be, and it genuinely is horrifying to see what amounts to a nuclear-armed South African Hitler first arrest Hindenburg's counterpart for defying the Nazi Party's ideals, then go around committing atrocities - with the equivalent of a Mussolini who repented and made Italy democratic begging him to stop - and all while the West can do nothing for fear of getting nuked. Moreso because you actually can see it happening. Most South Africans nowadays must see their lives as a sort of Catch-22 - you can't leave, because the rest of the world hates you, and staying means a tacit acceptance of a genocidal regime.

More thoughts later, but again - thank you for a wonderful timeline.

Mandela survives, but he dies effectively a no one, receiving asylum in America because the situation was too dangerous in his designated homeland.
I was expecting Mandela to straight up die in the 1963/64 Rivonia Trial. Now that would've been interesting to see, mostly its effects on SA as a whole.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry reading this.

The SA regime here is just as horrific as it was built up to be, and it genuinely is horrifying to see what amounts to a nuclear-armed South African Hitler first arrest Hindenburg's counterpart for defying the Nazi Party's ideals, then go around committing atrocities - with the equivalent of a Mussolini who repented and made Italy democratic begging him to stop - and all while the West can do nothing for fear of getting nuked. Moreso because you actually can see it happening. Most South Africans nowadays must see their lives as a sort of Catch-22 - you can't leave, because the rest of the world hates you, and staying means a tacit acceptance of a genocidal regime.

This video basically sums up how the world feels about South Africa ITTL, even in 2020.

Your average South African at this point is full "No one likes us, we don't care!"

The Rising Sun symbol is still used in Japan today, but it would be so thoroughly used at this point that no cares. It's mainly used at sports events.

Last edited:
And so, we've caught up to the world of today.

South Africa is a clusterfuck. But at least the CIS sees them for what they are, and they'll be an international pariah for the rest of the century more likely.

Still wondering how military equipment developed in the Cold/Cool Wars and beyond. Curious case that the world of OTL is no different from 2020, with the U.S. as the sole superpower, and China becoming a rising superpower (with, if you want to have a third one, Japan, not too far behind.)

Noticed that there’s no living standards comparison for Italy; it should be quite a bit richer than OTL, right?

Last edited:

Feunoyr

Banned
This chronology was perfect from the first chapter to the last, it was like a real journey to another world, thank you so much for sharing it with us Sorairo. I have a few final questions for you.
1) Did Le Pen become President of France after his victory in 1992?
2) How Italian are Albania and Montenegro?
3) is Victor-Emmanuel IV of Italy a more decent human being than OTL prince Victor-Emmanuel of Savoy?