Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Bit disappointed in the number of entries but the poll is up:
Sorry, a combination of workload and family issues seemed to drain all my inspiration. I tried a few concepts, but couldn't get any of them to work.

Bit disappointed in the number of entries but the poll is up:
I've been terribly busy, sorry. :/

Flag Challenge 221: I Swear By Thee, To Save Lives

Your task, should you accept it, is to create an alternative medical flag.

It could be a

1) new medical symbol, from a different cultural background, other than the current Red Cross/ Red Crescent/Rod of Asclepius, featured on a flag,
or
2) the old symbols for a, new AH country.
or
3) flag for a new medical organization, (like an American NHS, or the Combat medic Corp of an AH country’s armed forces)

Or anything else, as long as it’s a medically related symbol is accepted, and it’s new.

Challenge opens: now
Challenge closes: 29th March

Last edited:
Flag Challenge 220: I Swear By Thee, To Save Lives

Your task, should you accept it, is to create an alternative medical flag.

It could be a

1) new medical symbol, from a different cultural background, other than the current Red Cross/ Red Crescent/Rod of Asclepius, featured on a flag,
or
2) the old symbols for a, new AH country.
or
3) flag for a new medical organization, (like an American NHS, or the Combat medic Corp of an AH country’s armed forces)

Or anything else, as long as it’s a medically related symbol is accepted, and it’s new.

Challenge opens: now
Challenge closes: 29th March

United Nations Pandemic Area Response Team Initiative
In the year 2027, the United Nations Pandemic Area Response Team Initiative is launched. Its mandate is to provide a quick and comprehensive influx of expertise and resources to fight newly emerging viral threats before they could become pandemics. Its tactics and resources are best suited to arresting the spread of disease, containing it, initiating quarantine measures, and providing expert back-up to medical institutions on the ground in affected areas while simultaneously coordinating with government agencies to support large scale logistics and legal interactions . Once a threat escapes to become a pandemic, its role shifts to a purely support function until it can be gradually withdrawn and replaced.

This flag indicates an operational outpost under its jurisdiction. A variant carries a UN-blue "HQ" in the top right third to indicate the area headquarters. Additional insignia can be added if needed.

med1.png

Well, a guy can hope something positive comes out of our current dark days. :)

Last edited:

Bytor

Monthly Donor
In the year 2027, the United Nations Pandemic Area Response Team Initiative was launched. Their mandate was to provide a quick and comprehensive influx of expertise and resources to fight newly emerging viral threats before they could become pandemics. Their tactics and resources were best suited to arresting the spread of disease, containing it, initiating quarantine measures, and providing expert back-up to medical institutions on the ground in affected areas while simultaneously coordinating with government agencies to support large scale logistics and legal interactions . Once a threat escaped to become a pandemic, their role shifted to a purely support function until they could be gradually withdrawn and replaced. This was the flag indicating an operational outpost under their jurisdiction. Additional versions carried a UN-blue "HQ" in the top right third to indicate the area headquarters or additional insignia if needed.

My first thought was "A Tenctonese delegation to the United Nations? Cool!" ;-D

The Order of the Fourteen Auxiliaries

The Order was founded by the Emperor of All Romans, His Holiness Pope Clemens VI, in 1349 as a non-profit and sovereign medical order to go out and provide vital care to all peoples regardless of nationality or status during the Great Pesitlence. In the modern day the Order is working hard all over the globe to tackle the new plague - Covid-19. In 670 years we've been operational we have come a long way in dealing with outbreak of disease and these little demons stand no chance against us as long as you also do your part.

You can help the Order by:
1 - Observing quarantine guidance - stay home and avoid contact with people outside your household
2 - Cleanliness - wash your hands and surfaces in your home regularly
3 - Prayer - pray for us and for those affected by the virus

"Fourteen Holy Helpers, who served God in humility and confidence on earth and are now in the enjoyment of His beatific vision in Heaven; because thou persevered till death thou gained the crown of eternal life. Remember the dangers that surround us in this vale of tears, and intercede for us in all our needs and adversities. Amen."

Stay Safe. Stay Healthy. Stay Hopeful.

fourteen holy helpers.png

(Explanation of the flag: It's relatively simple design based off of the Red Cross, except with the Patriarchal Cross instead of the Greek cross. The Roman numerals 'XIV' are inscribed on the flag to invoke the "14 Holy Helpers" who became the fourteen saints called upon to provide protection during the black death.)

Flag of the National Health Organisation of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands
Hygieia was a Greek goddess of health and hygiene (the latter word being based on her name). With the rise of better sanitation in the 19th century, her symbol (a snake round a stemmed bowl) gained in popularity amongst nurses and other groups concerned with improving the health of the population through preventative measures. This was seen as complementary to the curative measures employed by doctors, symbolised by the Rod of Asclepius.
When the International Health Organisation was set up after the Global War, it chose this symbol, representing the importance of good sanitation and hygiene to the improvement of health in the Fourth World. The snake and bowl are surrounded by a hexagonal star to represent the five continents (Eurasia, Africa, Oceania, North America, South America) plus the oceans - the last because one of the founding organisations of the IHO was the International Health Mission to Mariners. The main colour used in the hexagon/star is a dark red, representing blood. The background of the flag is white to represent that IHO workers should always be treated as if operating under a flag of truce.
For the main, international, organisation, the six points of the star contain six Greek letters spelling out Ὑγιεία (Hygieia). National branches of the IHO are permitted to change the Greek letters for letters representing their own organisations, but must always use six letters, or characters for non-alphabetic languages. This has resulted in some very strange names for national organisations.
The flag below is that of the Nationale Gezondheidsorganisatie Verenigd Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (National Health Organisation of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands).
Nationale Gezondheidsorganisatie Verenigd Koninkrijk der Nederlanden  _FG.png

Image(s) created by FriendlyGhost using inkscape and paint.net.
You are free to use this image, including adaptation, as long as you give attribution. On this site (alternatehistory.com), just @ my username. On other sites, link to my profile page here.

Flag of the Royal Fellowship of Surgeons
200 years after the merger of the Worshipful Company of Barbers and the Fellowship of Surgeons into the Worshipful Company of Barber-Surgeons in 1540, the two guilds of London split once more. With the restoration of the Fellowship of Surgeons in 1740, came the restoration of its arms. Royal charters in 1800 and 1840 would transform the company into the Royal Fellowship of Surgeons in London and then the Royal Fellowship of Surgeons in England.
Its thorough apprenticeship training over seven years and rigorous examinations would be used as first London-wide, then country-wide, and finally Empire-wide standard of quality as their qualified surgeons were dispatched to battlefields across the British Empire during the Great Wars.
Flag of the Fellowship of Surgeons.png

Tudor Rose, royally crowned by Sodacan on Wikipedia

Apologies, as an archivist, I've been neglecting the WFC. I will attempt to remedy that now. Half of it done.

----

Suggestion for a theme in a future round, if the winner is unable to come up with something:

"We spared no expense ! Boy, do we have a vacation for you !"

Flagworld - Create a corporate flag for a Michael Crighton style futuristic theme park, in one of the three possible variations:
a.) a historically inspired theme park, focusing on a particular historical period and populated by life-like robots
b.) a theme park populated by prehistoric fauna brought back to life via DNA recovery and genetic engineering
c) a theme park populated by collected or captured alien fauna and flora

Last edited:
Once again, I've discovered people has misnumbered the rounds. This makes it pointlessly difficult archiving stuff.

EmperorBouaya forgot to add a #210 to his round, then someone did the next round as #210, and we almost lost info on a whole round.

Even after all the rule specification of the last few years, some winners are still a little too lazy to read the rules and do things properly.

I wish we'd finally avoid the "let's number the rounds whatever" approach in the contest. It's gone on for long and successfully so, but the laxer we get with the numbering, the tougher it gets making sense of what round occured when.

Once again, I've discovered people has misnumbered the rounds. This makes it pointlessly difficult archiving stuff.

EmperorBouaya forgot to add a #210 to his round, then someone did the next round as #210, and we almost lost info on a whole round.

Even after all the rule specification of the last few years, some winners are still a little too lazy to read the rules and do things properly.

I wish we'd finally avoid the "let's number the rounds whatever" approach in the contest. It's gone on for long and successfully so, but the laxer we get with the numbering, the tougher it gets making sense of what round occured when.
Thank you Petike.
I must admit I've become a bit lax in double checking the rules myself.
What should the next round be numbered?