Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Can anyone recommend a good book with an overview of the Bronze Age (history/culture/society/technology)? Looking for a good book aimed at a general reader and not necessarily uber-academic. Thanks.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
What road is this?

At the bottom, North of the Thames, you have The Strand/Fleet Street quite clearly

Then further North, you have a road sort of paralleling it - but I don't know what road this is?

It's a 1680s map so its presumably a road that later had a newer one laid over it, but what is it?
map-of-london-c1680-artist-john-oliver-fuck-this.jpg

Bytor

Monthly Donor
"Project Oilsand, also known as Project Oilsands, was a 1958 proposal to exploit the Athabasca oil sands using the underground detonation of nuclear explosives; hypothetically, the heat and pressure created by an underground detonation would boil the bitumen deposits, reducing their viscosity to the point that standard oilfield techniques could be used." 😱
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Oilsand
What PoD would we need to make this happen? ;-)

What road is this?

At the bottom, North of the Thames, you have The Strand/Fleet Street quite clearly

Then further North, you have a road sort of paralleling it - but I don't know what road this is?

It's a 1680s map so its presumably a road that later had a newer one laid over it, but what is it? View attachment 528677

Holywell Street ran parallel to The Strand from St Mary's to St Clement's... But I have an idea you are looking for a longer street.
Searching.

Fantastic map! Thank you - yes, it would seem to be Holborn/Holbourn. I didn't know it was around in the 1680s,but I guess my knowledge of it got confused by the construction of the Holborn Viaduct. What did it do before that? Dip down then back up again?
Looking at a map of where Holborn Viaduct is now and comparing that with the map I linked to*, it seems that the Holborn Viaduct replaces where Holbourn used to become Holbourn Hill, then Holbourn Bridge (over the River Fleet I think) then Snow Hill, then Hart-Row St leading to Newgate.
Wikipedia's article on Holborn Viaduct says:
Previously this involved horse-drawn traffic having to descend from High Holborn along Charterhouse Street to the smaller Holborn Bridge, crossing the River Fleet which had been culverted between Ludgate Circus to this crossing in 1734 to ascend to the other side using Snow Hill.​
So yes, it did 'dip down then back up again' but not as Holbo(u)rn.

* Go here for bigger versions - up to 5,792 × 7,936 pixels of each of the 24 sheets, so the whole map is over 46,000 x 23,000 pixels! (Don't try this on a slow computer! :eek: )

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Can anyone recommend a good book with an overview of the Bronze Age (history/culture/society/technology)? Looking for a good book aimed at a general reader and not necessarily uber-academic. Thanks.

Eric Cline's 1177 is theoretically aimed at explaining the Bronze Age Collapse but in his lectures about it he said he wanted to write a book about WHAT collapsed, so it's something of a starting point, eminently readable albeit not that long really

Eric Cline's 1177 is theoretically aimed at explaining the Bronze Age Collapse but in his lectures about it he said he wanted to write a book about WHAT collapsed, so it's something of a starting point, eminently readable albeit not that long really
Thank you! Appreciate the recommendation.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Thank you! Appreciate the recommendation.

As a note, it's worth watching his lecture on Youtube - he did the same one in several places, which is kinda funny when you watch them all and see the little differences and how he makes his jokes seem new even when you know he did that elsewhere. I know one is from the Oriental Institute, Chicago, who have a lot of very good lectures online on their account.

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
What if Vikings had been mercenaries for Iberian Muslim rulers? What if there had been analoges of Varangian guardsmen in Spanish Emirates ?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
Eastern Gothic Horse Lords with horse archery adopt a more Alan or Scythian style military. Than battle the approaching huns.

I think so.

To start it off-

If Napoleon hadn’t done his thing, how long could the rule of the Knights of St. John last on Malta? I know they weren’t the most popular by the time he arrived, but he was the one who brought the whole structure down.
Maybe annexed at some point by British ? Malta could have been a strategic asset for British Empire? Or maybe by an unified Italy?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Forms of address for a Spanish grandee Duke?

His X the Duke?
Or his X , the most Y duke?
Your XXX ?

What about for a Spanish Viceroy?

Thanks

Forms of address for a Spanish grandee Duke?

His X the Duke?
Or his X , the most Y duke?
Your XXX ?

What about for a Spanish Viceroy?

Thanks
They would have the honorific treatment of 'his/her Excellency': The Most Excellent (Excmo. sir) and if, as would be very probable that, they are 'Grandees of Spain', too, then they would have a rank comparable to the English Peer of the Kingdom and in (official/diplomatic) written form, their names should be, (accordingly to the protocol/etiquette,of course) followed by the post-nominals 'GE'.

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
They would have the honorific treatment of 'his/her Excellency': The Most Excellent (Excmo. sir) and if, as would be very probable that, they are 'Grandees of Spain', too, then they would have a rank comparable to the English Peer of the Kingdom and in (official/diplomatic) written form, their names should be, (accordingly to the protocol/etiquette,of course) followed by the post-nominals 'GE'.

Would you say "His excellency, the most excellent Duke of X" ?