Epilogue Five - Arthur of Wales
“Margaret of Wales was a mother of four when her mother, Queen Kathryn died. Prince Arthur and Prince Alexander were twelve years of age, Princess Kathryn was six years of age, and Prince Henry was but four months.

The Royal Family had been residing in Ludlow Castle at the time of Queen Kathryn’s death and the crowning of Queen Margaret would greatly upset their lives. Princes Alexander and Henry and Princess Kathryn went from spending most mornings with their mother to seeing her once a week or so. For Prince Arthur there was an even greater distance.

For while Prince Alexander, Princess Kathryn, and Prince Henry would live at Iredale Palace, Prince Arthur, newly Prince of Wales, would be sent back down to Ludlow Castle.”
Rosa Kent, “Mother Margaret”​

“By all accounts Arthur of Wales was initially lonely and bereft, as he wandered the castle he grew up in. The halls that once bustled with his family and their close retains now echoed. There was just him and his tutors.”
Jacob Price, “Arthur of Wales, Burning Bright and Burning Out”​

“…Mother always said mothers had no favorites, but truthfully none were as close as us two. We shared the oncoming specter of the thrown of England and the weight of a crown. It did not occur to us that it would not be a weight shouldered together. For it fell to her and I was left behind.

For many months after Mother’s crowning I found myself alone fearing the oncoming destiny. But it was thy sweet smile that broke the clouds and saw the sun shine through. Though I was but a boy and had naught a thought of the way of men and women I loved you from that very moment.

Perchance there will come a day where the weight of the mightiest land shall fall upon me, but while thy bewitching face is within my view I find I can disregard it awhile. Thou hast always been my most beautiful sunshine. While in your company I feel no weight or destiny, I am but a man.

Yours,
Arthur”
Fragments of Letter 5 from Arthur of Wales to his mistress Alys ferch John Owen​

“Far from his parents—visits occurred only rarely—Arthur of Wales grew into a charming hedonistic young man. He quickly accumulated a collection of younger lords, gentlemen, and ladies that accompanied him on hunts, played him at tennis, starred in his masques, and participated in his jousts. [1]

Chief amongst this crowd—not from any rank of their own—was Sir Owain ap John Owen and his sister Mistress Alys ferch John Owen. For roughly eleven years, Alys ferch John Owen was the mistress of Arthur of Wales.

Alys ferch John Owen is purported to have been slight, with dark hair and eyes. Her beauty is somewhat debated. Letters from Arthur of Wales practically rave over her loveliness and splendor while the Swedish Ambassador would report, “she holds some wild charm but on the whole is plain as a milkmaid.” [2]

After the birth of their first child, Lady Anne FitzWales, Prince Arthur would be called to London by his parents to be restrained. But while in London he would meet and bed the Lady Maeve Stewart [3] and get her with child. They sent him back to Wales after that.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”​

[1] Jousting had slowly fallen out of fashion, but Prince Arthur enjoyed the sport and found no end of those willing to indulge him.
[2] Neither of these parties are particularly unbiased but it is from them that we get the most information.
[3] See page 324

“While the Lady Maeve was the King of Scotland’s sister, she would never accept the title of Princess of Scotland, would live mostly in Ireland, and had quite the reputation. Purportedly, King James VII would say, “I can rule Scotland, or I can control Maeve, but I cannot do both.”

Her daughter with Arthur of Wales, Kathryn MacArthur, was her second illegitimate child [1] and after Kathryn MacArthur’s birth, Lady Maeve and her two children were sent to the Scottish colonies in America which the Lady Maeve would govern for the next fifteen years. Out of sight out of mind.

The Lady Maeve is a fascinating character and really deserves more attention, but most of the craziness she got up to was in America and this is a European history book.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”, p. 324​

[1] The first being Sir Murrough MacJohn. He was claimed by Prince John of Portugal, but no one knows how Prince John and Lady Maeve met. Most stories involve piracy in some manner, but it is all unsubstantiated.

The Tudors were really crazy... [Stewarts also had Tudor bloods so I count also them as Tudors here]

Yep, and they had a couple generations of decently responsible respectable people so I figured they were due for a really wild one. I'm glad you are enjoying it :)

Epilogue Six
His Father's Last son.jpg

This is such a beautiful excerpt, it would be the perfect place to end the TL here and now.

(But of course, if you have more planned, I'll eagerly read it!)

This is such a beautiful excerpt, it would be the perfect place to end the TL here and now.

(But of course, if you have more planned, I'll eagerly read it!)
I'm glad you liked it! And good point about this being a good ending point. But I've got a view other things coming. Thanks for your comment!

Epilogue Nine - Map of Europe
AN: I am definitely a novice in the art of mapmaking so if anything seems implausible or confusing please lend me your superior knowledge and let me know.

Map of Europe In the Year 2000

Epilogue Map B.png
Epilogue Map C.png

Epilogue Ten - The Children of Arthur of Wales
AN: I just wanted to say thanks to anyone who voted for this timeline in the 2020 Turtledoves - Best Early Modern Timeline. You guys are the best!

“To the relief of the English Court, Arthur of Wales never attempted to marry his mistress, Alys ferch John Owen. This left the succession clear when Arthur of Wales died at age twenty-one while jousting. For none of the prince’s five illegitimate children were in danger of being put forward as heir.

Prince Alexander, the twin of Arthur of Wales, would not only inherit his brother’s title, but his brother’s bride. For Princess Elisabeth Sabina of Sweden had, at the time of Arthur of Wales’s death, been on her way to England. She would arrive to find a new groom.

The two would be wed mid-April of the year fifteen ninety-nine.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”​

“Arthur of Wales was a young man, more of a boy really, who was determined to live life to the fullest; taking every opportunity before his chances were spent. In this he succeeded though he probably assumed his fun would end on a throne, not in a coffin.

But as with many a young person, he gave no thought to the effect he had on those around him. His death would leave his mistress Alys ferch John Owen grief striken, and five children fatherless. His three children by Alys ferch John Owen— Anne FitzWales, Arthur FitzWales, and Alice FitzWales—would be left in the custody of their uncle, Sir Owain ap John Owen. In time, Arthur FitzWales would be made Baron Dynevor and the confiscated castle, Dinefwr Castle.

Kathryn MacArthur, Arthur of Wales’s daughter by the Lady Maeve, Sister to the Scottish King, would travel with her mother to the Scottish colony, Muir Magi. [1] The Chiefs of Muir Magi are descended from her.

The youngest and posthumous son of Arthur of Wales, Henry FitzTudor would be born early in January of sixteen hundred. There was some doubt to his paternity that would not be resolved until his first birthday, at which Queen Margaret declared he was the absolute image of Arthur of Wales. He would be granted the surname FitzTudor and placed in the royal nursery as a companion to his uncle, Prince Edward.”

[1] So named due to a miscommunication with the Natives and the presence of great lakes.

“After the Nursery Quarrel, Henry FitzTudor would be raised exclusively by his grandfather, Edmund Tudor, Baron Willoughby de Eresby. Due to Lord Edmund’s influence, Henry FitzTudor would be allowed to inherited his barony. It would be Henry FitzTudor’s son, Edmund FitzTudor who would be made Duke of Richmond.

It is from him that the Royal FitzTudor’s are descended.”
Henry Hansen, “Tudors, Wettins, and FitzTudors: The Last Three Dynasties of England”​

Last edited:
AN: I just wanted to say thanks to anyone who voted for this timeline in the 2020 Turtledoves - Best Early Modern Timeline. You guys are the best!

“To the relief of the English Court, Alexander of Wales never attempted to marry his mistress, Alys ferch John Owen. This left the succession clear when Arthur of Wales died at age twenty-one while jousting. For none of the prince’s five illegitimate children were in danger of being put forward as heir.

Prince Alexander, the twin of Arthur of Wales, would not only inherit his brother’s title, but his brother’s bride. For Princess Elisabeth Sabina of Sweden had, at the time of Arthur of Wales’s death, been on her way to England. She would arrive to find a new groom.

The two would be wed mid-April of the year fifteen ninety-nine.”

“Arthur of Wales was a young man, more of a boy really, who was determined to live life to the fullest; taking every opportunity before his chances were spent. In this he succeeded though he probably assumed his fun would end on a throne, not in a coffin.

But as with many a young person, he gave no thought to the effect he had on those around him. His death would leave his mistress Alys ferch John Owen grief striken, and five children fatherless. His three children by Alys ferch John Owen— Anne FitzWales, Arthur FitzWales, and Alice FitzWales—would be left in the custody of their uncle, Sir Owain ap John Owen. In time, Arthur FitzWales would be made Baron Dynevor and the confiscated castle, Dinefwr Castle.

Kathryn MacArthur, Arthur of Wales’s daughter by the Lady Maeve, Sister to the Scottish King, would travel with her mother to the Scottish colony, Muir Magi. [1] The Chiefs of Muir Magi are descended from her.

The youngest and posthumous son of Arthur of Wales, Henry FitzTudor would be born early in January of sixteen hundred. There was some doubt to his paternity that would not be resolved until his first birthday, at which Queen Margaret declared he was the absolute image of Arthur of Wales. He would be granted the surname FitzTudor and placed in the royal nursery as a companion to his uncle, Prince Edward.”

[1] So named due to a miscommunication with the Natives and the presence of great lakes.

“After the Nursery Quarrel, Henry FitzTudor would be raised exclusively by his grandfather, Edmund Tudor, Baron Willoughby de Eresby. Due to Lord Edmund’s influence, Henry FitzTudor would be allowed to inherited his barony. It would be Henry FitzTudor’s son, Edmund FitzTudor who would be made Duke of Richmond.

It is from him that the Royal FitzTudor’s are descended.”
Henry Hansen, “Tudors, Wettins, and FitzTudors: The Last Three Dynasties of England”​
Wonderful chapter, but unless Alexander and Arthur were sharing a mistress, I believe the first one should be Arthur of Wales, not Alexander.

Why did the kingdoms of Bohemia, Naples, Sicily and Sardinia get downgraded to principalities and duchies?

Bohemia had an almost-revolution and the result was a Prince. That allowed the ruler of Bohemia to interact with the other monarchs of Europe on mostly even footing while making a statement about the power coming from the people. Early 1800s I think. (Full disclosure, I can't find my notes for this. I'm going by memory)

So, Naples, Sicily, and Sardinia became duchies when the Confederation of Catholic Duchies formed, which was late 1700s I think. Like with Bohemia it was an attempt to say that the people had the ability to check their power.

Last edited: