WIP Map Thread

Currently working on a basemap for my cover of the Gate of Time by Philip Jose Farmer. I benefited a lot from a sea level fall map and am working on the Old World right now.

gateoftime.png

I would have thought a less contiguous border would have been better.
It's unlikely that ALL of the minor Swabian/German states would have joined.
Baden would probably not have and Wurttemburg was heavily influenced by the Habsburgs.
However, the smaller lands in between [in OTL Rottweil was associated for a while] could have been tempted into a union.
BTW, as part of a treaty [Basle I think] the Swiss Confed was made protector of Franche Comte by the Habsburgs, perhaps expansion in that direction is not out of the question.

All in all, it's going to depend on when your POD is, the more modern, the fewer minor states to influence and the greater resistance from other states looking to expand.

I would have thought a less contiguous border would have been better.
Alt!Switzerland actually had the whole OTL Baden-Wurttemberg, which they already controlled large chunks of, awarded to them at the Congress of Wien, but it lost the Franconian-speaking parts of it helping Austria against Prussia in 1866.
Baden would probably not have and Wurttemburg was heavily influenced by the Habsburgs.
Like I said in the comment I wrote right after the one you're replying to, the Habsburgs would be no problem for the Swiss ITTL's Late Middle Ages and beyond.

Made a lot of progress today. Putting markers down to indicate the corner of each grid square seems to make the overall process faster. Yes, the distortion at the pole is kind of nuts, but I figure there's nothing critical there anyway.
Kunyu_grid_5deg_small_sample.jpg

Last edited:
Could I have your opinion about the numbers used for the Points of Interest?

nwo_8.png

Also, If there is any place that you think needs a point of interest, feel free to say so.

jjDl6lC.png

wip map for an alternative 19th century where national-liberals respect self determination more.
after giving lithuania minor to lithuania id reopened the issue of what to do with mazury. i thought id come up with a neat solution to the german poland border but ill have to completely rethink it now.

some of these nations share the same monarch but i couldnt think of way to show it nicely. what this really is a map of is highest order territorial assemblies. like for example transilvania has a hapsburg monarch but its constituent parts answer to the romanian parliament. almost every state in europe is a constitutional monarchy.
minor france screw because of personal bias (i dont like 19th century france)
northern frisia is shown because i forgot to rub it out.
still deciding on a colour for trebizond-lazica which is why both are shown.
idk whether to let the ottomans keep its asian bits that arent turkish. (the european occupied parts of the word can get nationstates but the independent bits may stay as they are)
still carving chunks off of imperial russia.
need to rethink muslim europe, (in that i think ive missed a few spots that maybe should be independent, will have to see if it looks pretty)
Iberia was rushed, i just now it didnt look right with the high medieval language borders. i think the basque state's western border needs work too.
brittany is always difficult because neither the wales solution or the balkan one look nice, and i definitely dont want to give it to france. (maybe brittany could have france's monarch even if france doesnt?)
the estonia-latvia border is a placeholder

notable absences from "finished" areas;
sorbia
gagauzia
frisia

Last edited:
My attempt at a Bmunro based on this scenario Byzantium – the Byzantine Empire may have fallen apart a couple of times over the millennia, but it is currently the world’s largest power and dominates the “Ecumenical council” which serves as an UN-equivalent in this mostly Christian world. Iberia, N. Africa and Ethiopia, the middle East N. of Arabia proper, Russia west of the Urals and most of Eastern Europe is all part of the Empire, and Orthodox Scandinavia and Persia are vassals. However, Nestorian China and Gnostic India (united since the early 1800s, ironically as a result of Byzantine efforts to absorb the place) have the numbers and have sufficiently modernized to act as major competitors. The Americas are divided roughly three ways between the Chinese, the Byzantines and the French-German Holy Roman Empire. Byzantine society is modern and fairly tolerant – but the Byzantines still love a good theological argument… from this thread https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ry-travel-guides-an-ah-gazeteer.138470/page-2
Byzantium scenario bmunro inspired.png

Last edited: