Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
newspanishempire.png

This map answers the question, "What if Spain was more imperially active in the 19th and 20th centuries?" Depicted here is the second Spanish colonial empire in 1920.
1. A more vigilant Spain responded to German and Italian unification by stepping up its game, industrializing earlier, and investing heavily in the navy.
2. Morocco is becoming a dumping ground for white Spanish settlers, and although in theory a protectorate, in reality is experiencing gradual native genocide and repopulation.
3. Germany had much more colonies, including Gabon, Congo, CAR, South Sudan, Uganda, and Kenya. Gabon and Congo became LoN mandates under Spanish administration.
4. Iraq and Kuwait were transferred to Spain in the aftermath of WWI, in the Sykes-Picot-Rubio Agreement regarding the plans for the Ottoman Empire.
5. In the Treaty of Sevres, Spain was granted access to territories not controlled by the Italians, Russians, British or French (Turkey was to be partitioned entirely).
6. Socotra was acquired for the sake of acting as a strategic pit-stop for Spanish ships, with its proximity to Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.
7. When Oman became a British protectorate in 1892, the exclave of Gwadar in modern-day Pakistan was transferred to Spain.
8. Xuwen was renamed San Juan del Oriente and was one of many treaty ports leased to the Europeans. The Spanish sphere of influence extended into Hainan.
9. Tianjin was an international city, and in ATL, the Spanish, Portuguese, and Dutch had their shares of the city along with the other European powers.
10. A much longer Spanish-American War lasted into 1900, and, while the Spanish did keep their Pacific holdings, they were forced to grant considerable autonomy.
11. The Spanish, with a larger and more formidable navy, successfully pressured the Dutch into selling West Timor, securing a border with Portuguese East Timor.
12. The Spanish acquired German New Guinea as a LoN mandate following the Great War, and Kaiser-Wilhelmsland was renamed Tierra del Rey Alfonso.

Last edited:
Two Hawks: I wasn't even aware there was a short version until you mentioned it! :)
Interesting. I was in the opposite boat and entirely unaware of any longer form. I think it would be interesting to do covers based on each version, so this one will have India connected as it was in the Gate of Time, but the cover of Two Hawks will have it as its own continent.

Here is another Bmunro attempt, based on this scenario. Byzantium – the Byzantine Empire may have fallen apart a couple of times over the millennia, but it is currently the world’s largest power and dominates the “Ecumenical council” which serves as an UN-equivalent in this mostly Christian world. Iberia, N. Africa and Ethiopia, the middle East N. of Arabia proper, Russia west of the Urals and most of Eastern Europe is all part of the Empire, and Orthodox Scandinavia and Persia are vassals. However, Nestorian China and Gnostic India (united since the early 1800s, ironically as a result of Byzantine efforts to absorb the place) have the numbers and have sufficiently modernized to act as major competitors. The Americas are divided roughly three ways between the Chinese, the Byzantines and the French-German Holy Roman Empire. Byzantine society is modern and fairly tolerant – but the Byzantines still love a good theological argument… found here https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ry-travel-guides-an-ah-gazeteer.138470/page-2
Byzantium scenario bmunro inspired.png

It's hard to get things perfect when you only have paint instead of photoshop to use. Gimp I find a bit annoying as it doesn't do things the way I want them.

Last edited:
It's hard to get things perfect when you only real program is paint.
The problem isn't Paint--trust me, that's all I use--it's the fact that you just have a straight line from the Arctic to Persia, and the neon green of China clashes rather unpleasantly with the purple of Byzantium. I'd reccomend incorporating more natural features into your borders. Why not divide the two at the Urals or a Siberian river out there instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.