Hardline Apartheid SA?

Supposing we see the execution of Nelson Mandela's group at Rivonia in 1963-64 and/or South African success in Angola, could there be the rise of more hardline figures within the National Party and the South African government at large? Which figures could play this role?

How more "hardline" do you want? IOTL they had regulations surrounding identity, marriage, births, the Sharpsville Massacre, etc. That seems pretty hard line to me.

How more "hardline" do you want? IOTL they had regulations surrounding identity, marriage, births, the Sharpsville Massacre, etc. That seems pretty hard line to me.
How much more hardline could they get without moderates like PW Botha? I'm mostly asking who could replace him and adopt a stance much more in favor of maintaining Apartheid to the bitter end.

How much more hardline could they get without moderates like PW Botha? I'm mostly asking who could replace him and adopt a stance much more in favor of maintaining Apartheid to the bitter end.

So instead of how hard Apartheid was, you just want to see it prolonged? I think the worldwide divestment programme made sure that wasn't going to happen.

So instead of how hard Apartheid was, you just want to see it prolonged? I think the worldwide divestment programme made sure that wasn't going to happen.
I don't think Apartheid could've been prolonged for any substantial amount of time but yes, I want to see a POD that follows 1963 sees Apartheid come under a leadership of even more hardline officials with what I pointed out in the OP. Ideas?

The best way to avoid Apartheid is to avoid the Great Trek and the Boer Wars, both of which made the Afrikaners very insular and suspicious of outsiders.

The best way to avoid Apartheid is to avoid the Great Trek and the Boer Wars, both of which made the Afrikaners very insular and suspicious of outsiders.
While that would certainly be interesting, I'd like something that sees Apartheid SA go even more hardline than OTL instead of doing away with it in the first place.

What about Magnus Malan? Though, from what I recall of his ' ideas' he might run South Africa's economy into the ground first (I might be confusing him with another hardliner) before he makes apartheid worse.

While that would certainly be interesting, I'd like something that sees Apartheid SA go even more hardline than OTL instead of doing away with it in the first place.
Maybe a Kosovo like intervention od NATO after end of Cold War if radical regime continues and even further radicalized? (maybe even gives Neonazi like militias free reign).

What about Magnus Malan? Though, from what I recall of his ' ideas' he might run South Africa's economy into the ground first (I might be confusing him with another hardliner) before he makes apartheid worse.
Either him, or have Constand Viljoen seize power.
Maybe a Kosovo like intervention od NATO after end of Cold War if radical regime continues and even further radicalized? (maybe even gives Neonazi like militias free reign).
I can see a UN intervention in a scenario where Apartheid is somewhat prolonged but ends up collapsing some time between 1990-2000.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . banning TV would be the least of his regime's crimes.
And I don’t think OTL South Africa had TV until the mid-1970s, for crying out loud! :openedeyewink:

Basically, go surveillance society and limit group size and group gatherings.

Not that I’m in favor of this shit, mind you, but seems to be the way to do it. Play ‘blacks’ and ‘coloreds’ off each other, just don’t overdo this point. And probably could take Singapore strongman as model, who was both autocrat and in favor of economic growth. This will postpone day of reckoning until disfavored group rises enough (even with us consciously directing slower growth toward them) ... and/or the children of the favored group, . . . well, they’re thinking the system is bullshit. And that they have enough of a secure future to engage in the luxury of activism. And children of disfavored groups are close enough to mainstream jobs . . . to really question the unfairness of them being excluded.

Maybe till the age of social media ? ?

Remember, Ronald Reagan was so much of a staunch ‘anti-communist’ and so much saw the world through this lense, that he only very reluctantly went along with sanctions. And even with Congress passing a law around 1986, probably did a lot of foot-dragging behind the scenes. And Thatcher in the UK was not a fan of sanctions. Delay U.S./UK anti-apartheid movement a little more, and a more doctrinaire conservative movement will view it as a cause of weak liberals.

Last edited:
Supposing we see the execution of Nelson Mandela's group at Rivonia in 1963-64 and/or South African success in Angola, could there be the rise of more hardline figures within the National Party and the South African government at large? Which figures could play this role?
What if it evolves more into a (military) dictatorship with racial ideology?

Can they get any worse without becoming an absolute international pariah especially if the nuclear weapons program and ICBM programs come to light?