As a continuation of this thread, where Sun Yat-Sen was blasted as incompetent for presidency of the Republic of China, who would effectively be able to take his place, if we do not count Sun Yat-Sen or Yuan Shikai?

Song Jiaoren, who had won China's first democratic election in 1913, was a charismatic leader. He had ability to build strong working relationship with people who had different beliefs and backgrounds. For example, Song was able to rally different factions within Kuomintang Party to support him, while Sun alienated almost every faction in the same party.

During this chaotic time, Song would be best candidate to navigate China through politic and economic turmoils.

Song Jiaoren, who had won China's first democratic election in 1913, was a charismatic leader. He had ability to build strong working relationship with people who had different beliefs and backgrounds. For example, Song was able to rally different factions within Kuomintang Party to support him, while Sun alienated almost every faction in the same party.

During this chaotic time, Song would be best candidate to navigate China through politic and economic turmoils.

His lack of a track record makes me think you may be overconfident, but of course for alternate history purposes the lack of a track record gives the writer a lot of freedom. So a timeline where the assassination fails, or perhaps Yuan gets killed off before he can plan the assassination, is probably a reasonable start for a China wank. More specifically, perhaps have the assassination attempt fail in a way that completely exposes the plot, including Yuan's involvement? Establishing a norm that assassination is not the way to get things done is extremely important to having a functioning government, and having the tactic associated with a spectacular high-profile failure could help with that.

Last edited:
My picks:
- Song Jiaoren
- Wu Peifu
- Chen Jiongming
- Huang Xing (if he somehow survives past his death in 1916)

His lack of a track record makes me think you may be overconfident, but of course for alternate history purposes the lack of a track record gives the writer a lot of freedom. So a timeline where the assassination fails, or perhaps Yuan gets killed off before he can plan the assassination, is probably a reasonable start for a China wank. More specifically, perhaps have the assassination attempt fail in a way that completely exposes the plot, including Yuan's involvement? Establishing a norm that assassination is not the way to get things done is extremely important to having a functioning government, and having the tactic associated with a spectacular high-profile failure could help with that.

You are right about lacking of a tracking record. That did give him a competitive advantage. I think if circumstance was right, he might be the right person to lead China.

If the assassination attempt has failed and the coronation plan was exposed, that would be the end for Yuan. In this scenario, Song would be a perfect candidate to replace Yuan. His position would be secured and legit.