"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Blood of the Daleks
The TARDIS lands on the planet Red Rocket Rising, which is in the middle of a civil uprising after the planet has been hit by a meteor. There, the Doctor, Lucie and Aarushi discover the disgraced scientist Martez, who claims to have found a new way for the population to survive, while the colony is offered assistance by one of the Doctor’s oldest and most hated enemy, the Daleks.
Hate the planet name and we need more details of the Dalek plans here. Remember we can't go online and watch these episodes.
Fragments
The TARDIS arrives at The Codex, the largest archive in all of the universe, apart from the Time Lords’ Matrix, in order to find information that the Doctor is looking for. While there, the Doctor finds evidence of a cover-up involving one of the largest starliner accidents in all of history. He begins to piece the fragments of information together, but soon discovers that he is not the only person there to have an interest in the accident, and certainly not the most dangerous.
Again this requires more detail.
The Sword of Orion
I take it that this is the Big Finish Audio Drama?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Hate the planet name and we need more details of the Dalek plans here. Remember we can't go online and watch these episodes.

Again this requires more detail.

I take it that this is the Big Finish Audio Drama?
I've updated the synopses. I generally try to avoid what I did there, but sometimes it slips though. A lot of this season was trickier to write for than I thought, especially given the amount of things that I'm doing groundwork for. This season certainly isn't my best work, but not everything can. I've certainly not been in the flow I had for the first six weeks or so of the year, but I'm trying to work back into that. I'd forgotten how much work these story updates are.

Both Blood of the Daleks and Sword of Orion are versions of McGann Big Finish Audios. (Both available on Spotify too). I altered Blood of the Daleks more than Sword of Orion, but the latter is one of my favourite Cybermen stories ever, so I didn't think it needed so much changing. I'll use Big Finish stories here and there, especially as Nicholas Briggs is on the writing staff ITTL, but only one or two per season.

This.

Oh and this article has info on the production of the unmade movie before that trainwreck.

One of these days I'll get back to working my alternate Godzilla film stuff.

When the 2014 American version of Godzilla came out, that one shared some plot elements with this unproduced movie. I liked that movie--it helped that they had an above-average cast (Bryan Cranston, et. al.) and a crew that was actually respectful to the original version of Godzilla--to the point that many Toho execs loved the movie (in contrast to how much they hated the OTL 1998 version of Godzilla (1)); indeed, it arguably led to the current version of Toho's Godzilla...

(1) The guy who originally played Godzilla in the 1950s and 1960s loved the 2014 version.

When the 2014 American version of Godzilla came out, that one shared some plot elements with this unproduced movie. I liked that movie--it helped that they had an above-average cast (Bryan Cranston, et. al.) and a crew that was actually respectful to the original version of Godzilla--to the point that many Toho execs loved the movie (in contrast to how much they hated the OTL 1998 version of Godzilla (1)); indeed, it arguably led to the current version of Toho's Godzilla...

(1) The guy who originally played Godzilla in the 1950s and 1960s loved the 2014 version.

The script for the 94 unmade movie is here

And a Fan made graphic Novel is here

If I may slightly nitpick your decision to make Neil Gaiman showrunner, it would make more sense to have Briggs be the showrunner (given how the storyline and companion are conceived by him) for this season with Gaiman hired as a staff writer to eventually succeed him, while Gary Russell handles the early Big Finish Audios on his own.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
If I may slightly nitpick your decision to make Neil Gaiman showrunner, it would make more sense to have Briggs be the showrunner (given how the storyline and companion are conceived by him) for this season with Gaiman hired as a staff writer to eventually succeed him, while Gary Russell handles the early Big Finish Audios on his own.
I understand that nitpick. My reasoning was that after Cartmel, the higher-ups at NBC wanted someone that was external to the franchise to take over to rejuvinate it. Briggs was already on the writing staff at that point, so while he was still pretty new. That being said, Russell is doing a lot of the leg work with the Audios right now, with Briggs still on the writing staff for Who. There will be updates focussing on Big Finish, but the next one isn't until after the next season of Who.

I don't want to give away what's happening with Lucie just yet, but it's very different to what went on in the audios. Briggs created the rough idea for the character, but all that's really the same is the name and her appearing in the TARDIS.

(DW) The Tenth Doctor - Profile

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
The Tenth Doctor (1996-) - Profile
Tenth Doctor 2.jpg

Paul McGann

A still from the story "Underneath", showing the Season 30 costume.

The Tenth Doctor was portrayed by British actor Paul McGann. McGann was well known to British audiences for his role as Richard Sharpe in the ITV series Sharpe, a role he retained for the majority of his time on Doctor Who. To international audiences, however, he was more well known for his roles in Withnail and I, Alien 3 and more recently, as villain Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye.

McGann was well received as the Doctor. His portrayal of a friendly, often comedic Doctor was mixed with a significant darker streak, in keeping with his two previous incarnations. The shift of the show’s tone to a more Gothic approach was largely praised, as many felt that it suited McGann’s acting style well. McGann is considered by many fans to be the “defining” Doctor of his era, with all following incarnations being clearly influenced by the Tenth.

McGann has, in interviews following his departure, stated that he greatly enjoyed his time on the show, which has resulted in the large volume of material involving his version of the Doctor in the Big Finish audios, second only to Avery Brooks’ Ninth Doctor. [1]

The Tenth Doctor would be a far more action-oriented Doctor than his immediate predecessor, as he moved away from his position at the University of Washington, and took Lucie and Kahn-Tineta aboard. In contrast to how the Ninth Doctor could blend in with humans as an “eccentric professor”, the Tenth Doctor enjoyed standing out, opting for a Victorian-inspired outfit, moving to a more rag-tag militaristic costume later on in his time, though occasionally wearing a tweed outfit. Though initially he had longer “puffy” hair, he soon “cut” it after McGann complained about the wig being uncomfortable. [2]

Much like his immediate predecessor, the Tenth Doctor was not secretive about his alien heritage. His more energetic portrayal did give this Doctor an unfortunate habit of speaking without thinking, a habit many fans dubbed his “foot-in-mouth disease”.

The Tenth Doctor’s TARDIS was similar to the Ninth’s, though he opted for a change in furniture, giving the TARDIS a “lived-in” feeling, as it has many comforts in the console roon, as opposed to Nine’s more study-like TARDIS. More of the inside of the TARDIS would be seen at this time, with Lucie and Kahn-Tineta being shown to have “moved aboard” the TARDIS, having their own rooms. [3]

The Tenth Doctor first appeared in “The Other”, though his first main appearance would be in the Season 30 opener “Confederacy”. This story introduced his first two companions, Lucie and Kahn-Tineta. While Kahn-Tineta was a Mohawk woman from the mid-1700s, Lucie was more of a mystery, especially as it was revealed that there seemed to be no record of her anywhere in history prior to her travels with the Doctor.

Two decades after his departure from the role, McGann is still considered to be one of the best Doctors by many fans. Comparisons to the Fourth Doctor are common, with both Doctors’ times being seen retrospectively as “Golden Ages”. [4]

[1] Both he and OTL's Nine will have "Eighth Doctor Adventures" style audios down the line.
[2] A little nod to OTL's Eight, and how he changed. I don't see the longer hair sticking around.
[3] Another nod to OTL's Eight. One of my favourite TARDIS designs. I really like the ones where you really get the feeling that the TARDIS is inhabited. Up there with OTL's Twelfth Doctor's TARDIS.
[4] Following from the TLIAW, I think I'm going to do a little more "teasing" for the future of the timeline from now on. Nothing too major, just a little something to pique your interest.

Last edited:
The Tenth Doctor (1996-) - Profile
View attachment 529491
Paul McGann

A still from the story "Underneath", showing the Season 30 costume.

The Tenth Doctor was portrayed by British actor Paul McGann. McGann was well known to British audiences for his role as Richard Sharpe in the ITV series Sharpe, a role he retained for the majority of his time on Doctor Who. To international audiences, however, he was more well known for his roles in Withnail and I, Alien 3 and more recently, as villain Alec Trevelyan in Goldeneye.

McGann was well received as the Doctor. His portrayal of a friendly, often comedic Doctor was mixed with a significant darker streak, in keeping with his two previous incarnations. The shift of the show’s tone to a more Gothic approach was largely praised, as many felt that it suited McGann’s acting style well. McGann is considered by many fans to be the “defining” Doctor of his era, with all following incarnations being clearly influenced by the Tenth.

McGann has, in interviews following his departure, stated that he greatly enjoyed his time on the show, which has resulted in the large volume of material involving his version of the Doctor in the Big Finish audios, second only to Avery Brooks’ Ninth Doctor. [1]

The Tenth Doctor would be a far more action-oriented Doctor than his immediate predecessor, as he moved away from his position at the University of Washington, and took Lucie and Aarushi aboard. In contrast to how the Ninth Doctor could blend in with humans as an “eccentric professor”, the Tenth Doctor enjoyed standing out, opting for a Victorian-inspired outfit, moving to a more rag-tag militaristic costume later on in his time, though occasionally wearing a tweed outfit. Though initially he had longer “puffy” hair, he soon “cut” it after McGann complained about the wig being uncomfortable. [2]

Much like his immediate predecessor, the Tenth Doctor was not secretive about his alien heritage. His more energetic portrayal did give this Doctor an unfortunate habit of speaking without thinking, a habit many fans dubbed his “foot-in-mouth disease”.

The Tenth Doctor’s TARDIS was similar to the Ninth’s, though he opted for a change in furniture, giving the TARDIS a “lived-in” feeling, as it has many comforts in the console roon, as opposed to Nine’s more study-like TARDIS. More of the inside of the TARDIS would be seen at this time, with Lucie and Aarushi being shown to have “moved aboard” the TARDIS, having their own rooms. [3]

The Tenth Doctor first appeared in “The Other”, though his first main appearance would be in the Season 30 opener “Confederacy”. This story introduced his first two companions, Lucie and Aarushi. While Aarushi was a Mohawk woman from the mid-1700s, Lucie was more of a mystery, especially as it was revealed that there seemed to be no record of her anywhere in history prior to her travels with the Doctor.

Two decades after his departure from the role, McGann is still considered to be one of the best Doctors by many fans. Comparisons to the Fourth Doctor are common, with both Doctors’ times being seen retrospectively as “Golden Ages”. [4]

[1] Both he and OTL's Nine will have "Eighth Doctor Adventures" style audios down the line.
[2] A little nod to OTL's Eight, and how he changed. I don't see the longer hair sticking around.
[3] Another nod to OTL's Eight. One of my favourite TARDIS designs. I really like the ones where you really get the feeling that the TARDIS is inhabited. Up there with OTL's Twelfth Doctor's TARDIS.
[4] Following from the TLIAW, I think I'm going to do a little more "teasing" for the future of the timeline from now on. Nothing too major, just a little something to pique your interest.
The Eight Doctor is a favorite of mine due to the Great Audios and the books.
Would have love to see McGann acting some of those stories.

Nice to see McGann doing well as the Doctor. It was a shame he never got the chance OTL.

I like some of the character tells you have given him.

Chapter X: "The Calm"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part III, Chapter X(-Men): "The Calm"

“’95 and ‘96 were ‘The Calm’ so to speak. Well, not that they were calm, but compared to what happened after ‘97, the industry was, on the whole, pretty hopeful. Marvel had avoided a lot of the problems DC was facing with the Comics Bubble, and without Perelman looming over us, we actually seemed to be doing some good. From what many of my colleagues have told me, as well, DC at least had the beginnings of a plan to recover from their downturn.”​
- Peter David, taken from Crisis in Infinite Comics, a 2007 documentary about the comics speculator bubble and its aftermath. [1]

Marvel
1995 brought the release of The X-Men and Ms Marvel, the sequel to the 1992 film Wolverine and the X-Men. This film would see Wolverine, Beast and Jubilee take a much reduced role, with new X-Men being introduced to the franchise, and the addition of non-X-Men character Ms. Marvel. It was hoped by some in the company that it could help to launch other properties, especially as there would be some subtle references to happenings from the animated television shows.

The two main additions to the cast of characters were Rogue and Ms Marvel, who would be played by Claire Danes and Madonna. In addition, the character of Beast was recast from Laurence Fishburne, who was busy filming Star Trek: Deep Space Nine at the time. His role would be filled by Tony Todd. [2]

Plot Synopsis of The X-Men and Ms. Marvel (1995):
Following the end of Wolverine and the X-Men, Magneto is imprisoned, but Mystique is still at large with a new incarnation of the Brotherhood of Mutants. The X-Men are battling with the Brotherhood in Los Angeles, trying to limit the amount of collateral damage, and are losing. The tide turns with the arrival of superhero Ms. Marvel, who easily overpowers the Brotherhood forces, though Mystique escapes once more by hiding in a crowd of fleeing civilians.

Ms. Marvel, real name Carol Danvers, informs Professor X that the US Government is losing patience with the X-Men’s more reconciliatory strategy with the Brotherhood, as the Brotherhood is easily recouping its losses, and is becoming bolder. She reveals that she has been sent to deal with the Brotherhood in a more “definite” manner and that the X-Men are to assist, or be considered accomplices. Professor X begrudgingly agrees, but this causes dissent among the team.

Meanwhile, Mystique returns to her base of operations, and gives a mission to new recruit Rogue, who can temporarily steal the personality and life energy of those she touches. Mystique tells Rogue to ambush Danvers while she is acting as a civilian, and to take her out. Two days later, as Danvers is returning from buying groceries near her home in San Francisco, she is attacked by Rogue. Rogue manages to steal her powers, though the struggle takes a while due to the strength of Danvers. Sue to the intensity of Danvers’ powers, the transfer is permanent, and Danvers is left effectively de-powered. Danvers is rescued by the X-Men, and Xavier manages to restore her memories and personality, though her powers are still gone.

Cyclops decides to take the X-Men on a strike mission to take out the Brotherhood’s suspected base of operations. The mission, however, is a disaster, with Beast and Cyclops badly injured in the fight. Matters are made worse when the demoralised team then has to scramble to stop the Brotherhood from freeing Magneto. This time, Danvers accompanies them as a consultant, and to advise them on how to deal with Rogue, who still has Danvers’ powers. Though the X-Men are not able to prevent the Brotherhood from freeing Magneto, they do realise that Rogue is struggling to suppress the personality of Ms. Marvel that now resides in her.

With this new information, Xavier draws up plans to bring the Brotherhood into a confrontation where Xavier can use Cerebro to telepathically communicate with Rogue, and try to get the Ms. Marvel personality fragment to take control of her to subdue her, while the X-Men deal with the other Brotherhood members.

Danvers is informed that the US government has been tipped off to a planned Brotherhood attack in New York City to take place the following day. Given its proximity, the X-Men decide to use this as the place for the confrontation, though they will have to be careful to reduce collateral damage once more.

The X-Men arrive, and are greeted by Magneto, who offers the team the chance to change sides before he takes over the nation with the help of Rogue. The X-Men decline, and the two sides begin battling. Initially, the battle goes poorly until Xavier is able to tap into Rogue’s mind and distract her by causing a conflict between her personality and the fragment of Danvers resident in her mind. The tide of the battle begins to shift until Magneto realises what is happening, and manages to pinpoint where Xavier is, signalling for the Brotherhood to subdue him.

Danvers, who is protecting Xavier along with Jubilee, spots the mutants approaching them, and manages to get Xavier away from danger, though this breaks his link with Rogue. Rogue joins the battle once more, shifting the tide back in the favour of the Brotherhood. However, when most of the X-Men are pinned or about to be taken down, Marvel Girl, who herself is battling multiple Brotherhood mutants, releases a large psionic burst which incapacitates many of the attacking mutants, including Rogue, and powers her up significantly. Rogue flees from the battle as the Danvers personality becomes stronger again, while Magneto and Mystique are subdued.

After the battle, Danvers parts ways with the X-Men, informing them that the government has decided to leave them alone for now. As she leaves, they are approached by Rogue, who reveals that the battle shook her, and she is no longer with the Brotherhood. Though she does not join the X-Men, Xavier tells her that she is welcome at any time. As the X-Men return to their teaching jobs, however, it is clear that there is a growing tension and worry in the group over Jean Grey’s previously unseen powers, especially as Xavier will say nothing, but seems scared.

Cast of The X-Men and Ms. Marvel: [3]
  • Cyclops – Tom Cruise​
  • Storm – Angela Bassett​
  • Mystique – Sharon Stone​
  • Charles Xavier – Pete Postlethwaite​
  • Magneto – Max von Sydow​
  • Rogue – Claire Danes​
  • Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel – Madonna​
  • Wolverine – Bob Hoskins​
  • Marvel Girl – Molly Ringwald​
  • Beast – Tony Todd​
  • Mastermind – Brad Dourif​
  • Toad – Nicolas Cage​
  • Ice Man – Robert Downey Jr.​
  • Jubilee – Ann Yen​

The X-Men and Ms. Marvel received mixed reviews. Many commented on the fact that although she was one of the title characters, Ms Marvel actually only appeared with her powers in the first 45 minutes of the film. Madonna’s performance also got mixed reception, and many felt that the plot did not flow well. The special effects, however, were the subject of near-universal praise, with many commenting that they seemed to be a step up from the previous film.

The film’s budget was $150 million, a more than 50% increase over the previous film. However, it only drew in $350 million, a relatively insignificant increase over Wolverine and the X-Men. It was still considered enough of a success for Carolco to begin work on a third film, titled X-Men: Days of Future Past. Issues would arise in the pre-production stage as some of the cast’s return was contingent on an increase in pay, especially with Cruise and Stone. Kathryn Bigelow was attached to direct once more, though James Cameron left to begin work on the film Titanic, which would be plagued by production tragedies of its own. [4]

Marvel also began work on plans to produce other films set in the same universe as the X-Men films, most notably a Spider-Man and a Namor film. Cameron expressed an interest in working on the Spider-Man film, and a tentative 1999 release date was planned. [5]

For the comics, 1996 would bring the start of the “Reborn Universe”, which debuted with the “Heroes Reborn” storyline, which allowed for a soft reboot of the comics universe, though it was later ret-conned as being an alternate universe. The Reborn Universe would probe to be very successful, especially as it gave newer fans who had discovered the comics through the films or TV shows a way to start reading without feeling like they had to catch up on 20+ years of backstory. [6]

In what was generally considered to be a dying industry, Marvel were proving that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Though profits did decrease in 1995, they had mostly recovered in 1996, and Marvel was certainly not making a loss.

DC Comics
Marvel were not alone in having a major film release in 1995. DC Comics were preparing for Batman Continues, the much awaited third instalment in Warner Bros.’s Batman franchise. Despite some behind-the-scenes shenanigans, Burton retained creative control over the franchise, and Keaton was staying on as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Batman Continues would see the addition of Robin, and the introduction of Two-Face and the Riddler as villains. Robin was played by Marlon Wayans, who had been attached to appear in Batman Returns, but was eventually cut. Two-Face/Harvey Dent was not technically a new character, having appeared in the past two films, but this film would see him turn to villainy. He would continue to be played by Billy Dee Williams. The Riddler was a more eccentric character, played by comedic actor Robin Williams.

At the behest of Warner Bros., Burton would somewhat eschew the dark and dystopian atmosphere of Gotham, in response to complaints that it was not suitable for younger viewers. His increasing lack of creative control led to Burton cutting ties with Warner Bros. following Batman Continues. [7]

Cast of Batman Continues (1995):
  • Batman/Bruce Wayne – Michael Keaton​
  • Robin/Tim Drake – Marlon Wayans​
  • Two-Face/Harvey Dent – Billy Dee Williams​
  • The Riddler/Edward Nygma – Robin Williams​
  • Dr. Chase Meridian – Rene Russo​
  • Alfred Pennyworth – Michael Gough​

Batman Continues received mixed reviews, as many felt that it was too different from previous instalments, given the different atmosphere. In an attempt to reach a “happy medium”, Warner Bros. Had forced Burton into a compromise that nobody liked with the aesthetic and feel of the film. Certain aspects were praised, especially with Batman’s reluctance to bring in Tim Drake after he reveals that he had lost his last “sidekick”, implied to be Jason Todd.

Both Williams’ performances were praised, as was Keaton’s. This however, did not stop the film from being something of a financial disappointment, as it grossed only $280 million, another decrease in profits. As Burton announced he would be stepping away from the franchise, Keaton did too. Though Warner Bros. decided to greenlight a fourth film, it was clear that large changes would need to be made if it were a success. [8]

The announcement that Burton and Keaton would be leaving the franchise came at around the same time as DC announced two new films: Superman Lives, and Green Lantern. Christopher Reeve was attached to reprise his role for Superman Lives, though matters were complicated somewhat after he suffered some injuries in a horse riding accident that resulted in his pulling out of the film Kidnapped. [9]

Superman Lives was announced for a 1998 release, while Green Lantern was given a 1999 release date. The fourth Batman film, given the working title of Batman Forever, was also to be given a 1999 release.

Films based on the characters of Catwoman and Supergirl were planned, though it was felt that there was not enough interest in a Catwoman film, and Supergirl was too similar to the character of Ms. Marvel, especially in their human name, even though Supergirl predated Ms. Marvel significantly. [10]

But as with Marvel, DC also had comics to worry about. With Batman Continues considered a financial misfire, all hope rested on the future films, which even by 1996 were still two years away. Though there was a slight increase in sales during late 1995 after the release of the film, it was not enough to prevent further losses as DC tried to recover from the speculation bubble. In fact, most of DC’s losses were coming from the universe people tended to associate with them, as their other endeavours, such as their publishing agreement with Milestone Media were relatively successful.

To the executives at Warner Bros., it looked as though the issue may not have been with comics themselves, but rather the characters within them. And with the birth of that idea, the “New Age” of comics began its conception. [11]

[1] One of you mentioned that this was shaping up to be a "bizzaro" world compared to OTL. Well, that's not exactly where I'm going with it. I'm looking forward to see if any of you can guess what will happen from this update.
[2] Did I cast Fishburne as Sisko while forgetting he was Beast? Absolutely. Did I find a way around it? Hopefully.
[3] I'm not sold on Madonna or Danes as their respective characters, but I could see it adding to the meh-ness of how the film turns out.
[4] Foreshadowing is a dramatic device in which an important plot point is mentioned earlier in the story, to return later in a more significant way. Bonus points if you get that reference.
[5] Some things change, some things don't. Cameron wanting to do a Spider-Man film is something that doesn't.
[6] An expansion of Heroes Reborn from OTL. If Marvel is smart, they may keep it around.
[7] You may be wondering why Batman Continues doesn't get a plot synopsis when the X-Men film did. It's very similar to Batman Forever, and the changes weren't substantial enough to warrant a full synopsis.
[8] The market's not great for comics films right now, and X-Men just splits the audiences. They'd both be doing fine if the other weren't there.
[9] Yes, this is his paralysis butterflied. It has a few consequences.
[10] Like seriously: Kara Danvers and Carol Danvers. Could Marvel have been less subtle with their influences?
[11] I swear I'm not a mindless Marvel fangirl. This is something I've been planning for a while, and Marvel has to do well while DC falters. Astute observers may recall an earlier commend about a missed opportunity I was going to give another chance, and figure out what is about to happen. 1997 is the year I properly stop pulling punches with this.

Interesting movie update.

I wonder what the X-Men effects are like? The Hulk/Thor, Cap America etc films of that era OTL where not brilliant for this.

Since it’s a huge storyline I still think The Dark Phoenix Saga is best done in a tv or cartoon show due to the huge build up it needs. The characters get so little space in an ensemble movie it will always lack the punch needed.

Cameron doing Spider-Man might be fun. Hope Titanic is still a success though. Perhaps some of the Sets can be saved as part of a Titanic Experience studio tour?

Heroes Reborn? In OTL this effectively separated the mutant and non-mutant universes, such it was a reboot but 616 continued with all its history just missing main characters. Unless it’s being used as a ‘Crisis’ like event to reboot 616?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Interesting movie update.

I wonder what the X-Men effects are like? The Hulk/Thor, Cap America etc films of that era OTL where not brilliant for this.

Since it’s a huge storyline I still think The Dark Phoenix Saga is best done in a tv or cartoon show due to the huge build up it needs. The characters get so little space in an ensemble movie it will always lack the punch needed.

Cameron doing Spider-Man might be fun. Hope Titanic is still a success though. Perhaps some of the Sets can be saved as part of a Titanic Experience studio tour?

Heroes Reborn? In OTL this effectively separated the mutant and non-mutant universes, such it was a reboot but 616 continued with all its history just missing main characters. Unless it’s being used as a ‘Crisis’ like event to reboot 616?
The X-Men effects aren't quite as good as they were in the Singer films, given that they're happening about a decade earlier. That being said, these are films with a big budget, so they can afford the professional stuff. It's not Lou Ferrigno painted green and with a wig.

I don't want to give too much away with my plans, but the next film isn't going to be tackling the Phoenix Saga, but will be a version of Days of Future Past, as mentioned in the update. Whether we actually get a Phoenix story remains to be seen.

I did a lot of reading up on the production of Titanic recently, and quite frankly, it's incredile. I've already hinted that things may not go smoothly for it, but that doesn't necessarily preclude a box office success. It will get its own update, though probably a shorter one, during '97 (which we're sort of entering about now).

Heroes Reborn is being used in a more "Ultimate Universe" kind of way, so while the 616-verse is continuing, there's this other continuity that is aimed more towards the newer fans. OTL's Heroes Reborn was actually pretty financially successful, which is why I've kept it, with a few alterations that I could see taking place. Again, I don't want to give the details of it away, but there is going to be a "Crisis" event in the near future, and it's going to be one to remember (hopefully for good reasons).

One of the problems with The Phoenix Saga in the Comics is it very size. There are so many elements . Several Aliens Races, the Hellfire Club and it members. Scott and Jean romantic relationship, the Trip to space where Jean first "Meets' the Phoenix and the Phoenix destroying a Sun killing a whole race of Aliens , that have to introduced in a movie of the Dark Phoenix Movie.
The First attempt at a Dark Phoenix Saga Movie ignored all of that and The Second toned much of it down to one Alien and did not introduce any of the member of the Hellfire club, meaning that club was just a name drop. Since the previous movies all tried to keep the stories grounded in the real world, to suddenly bring in all this far out stuff strains the viewer beliefs.
You might do it as a trilogy of Three movies but to do the whole Phoenix saga as one movies has proven impossible .

The best adaption in the OTL was the Animated Series which broke the Story into two parts , the induction of the Phoenix in 5 episodes and the Dark Phoenix Story in 4 episodes.
And I would have like to see at least two or three more episodes in the Dark Phoenix saga. It felt rushed to me as they hurried to introduce and then dealt with all the parts of the Comic story.
Back in the late 80's, It was not uncommon to see editorials in magazines like Comic Shops News and Comic Buyer Guide and Wizard Magazine as well as in the letter columns of the Marvel comics themselves , that the Mutants titles should be their own universe and not part of the Marvel Superhero Universe.
Yes in the OTL, Hero Reborn was as close as we got but the Mutants never got there own universe.
At time the Stories got silly. Magneto at one point lifted the island of Manhattan into the Sky, despite the fact that 80 to 90% of Marvel Hero live and fight in New York, None show up to help the X men. Some Writers treat the X books as if they were in a Universe were no other heroes existed and others writers would cross the Mutants was every possible hero they could, leading to bad miniseries like X Men vs Fantastic Four.

Films based on the characters of Catwoman and Supergirl were planned, though it was felt that there was not enough interest in a Catwoman film, and Supergirl was too similar to the character of Ms. Marvel, especially in their human name, even though Supergirl predated Ms. Marvel significantly. [10]
Interestingly, the Supergirl that was active at this time was not Kara Zor-El, but a telekinetic, shapeshifting mass of protoplasm known as "Matrix" because of an editorial mandate that Superman be the sole survivor of Krypton. Even so, I believe that WB would give more serious contemplation to a Wonder Woman film as she's their most iconic female character.
To the executives at Warner Bros., it looked as though the issue may not have been with comics themselves, but rather the characters within them. And with the birth of that idea, the “New Age” of comics began its conception. [11]
Speaking as a hopeless DC fanboy: colour me intrigued.
Some Writers treat the X books as if they were in a Universe were no other heroes existed and others writers would cross the Mutants was every possible hero they could, leading to bad miniseries like X Men vs Fantastic Four.
The X-Men interacted with the rest of the Marvel Universe regularly during the Claremont/Byrne run where Spider-Man ran into Cyclops on the streets while web-slinging one time. There was also a good reason why the Avengers didn't get involved during the Dark Phoenix Saga was because Beast (who was an Avenger at the time) was on monitor duty when the NYPD sent an alert to Avengers HQ after they battled the Hellfire Club. He deleted the alert and left to aid his friends.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Interestingly, the Supergirl that was active at this time was not Kara Zor-El, but a telekinetic, shapeshifting mass of protoplasm known as "Matrix" because of an editorial mandate that Superman be the sole survivor of Krypton. Even so, I believe that WB would give more serious contemplation to a Wonder Woman film as she's their most iconic female character.

Speaking as a hopeless DC fanboy: colour me intrigued.

The X-Men interacted with the rest of the Marvel Universe regularly during the Claremont/Byrne run where Spider-Man ran into Cyclops on the streets while web-slinging one time. There was also a good reason why the Avengers didn't get involved during the Dark Phoenix Saga was because Beast (who was an Avenger at the time) was on monitor duty when the NYPD sent an alert to Avengers HQ after they battled the Hellfire Club. He deleted the alert and left to aid his friends.
I've already said this on the Discord group, but what happens next year (in the timeline) will probably be a bit divisive. I think that in the end everyone will be happy enough, but I'm not sure how much anybody will expect what is going to happen.

On that subject, we're hitting 1997 in the timeline (technically ODY and DS9's next seasons will be in a bit of '96), and it's a very important year for the timeline. To mark that, I'm going to tell everyone what the updates will be for 1997.

1. What the other TV networks are up to around this time.
  2. Star Trek: Odyssey Season 2 (three updates)
  3. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 4 (three updates)
  4. Star Trek VII (one update)
  5. Doctor Who Season 31 (three updates)
  6. Doctor Who Big Finish 1996-1997 (one update)
  7. Titanic (one update)
  8. Marvel and DC 1997 (one update)
  9. Music 1997 (one or two updates)
One or two more updates may slip in, but as of right now, 1997 looks like it will probably take up about 16 updates. I'm going to aim for every other day, but there proably won't be one this Tuesday or Wednesday, as I'm off to Nottingham again. First update should be out (hopefully) tonight.