Status
Not open for further replies.
RqdX9Mk.png

Hey everyone! Life's been keeping me a bit busy, so unfortunately I haven't been able to release anything recently. I am, however, working on some other things! Currently I am working on the most recent French legislative election, as well as a complete overhaul of the New England wikipedia page (double the content!) So as an apology for taking so long, I'm sharing a test graphic I did which uses a similar style to Kurzgesagt. This was mostly just done as a test for a future map idea I am also kicking around. Enjoy!

This might be a super random question, but @Kanan what happened to the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas/St John/St Croix) ITTL? Did the British take them, did they go to the US as IOTL, or are they still Danish?

This might be a super random question, but @Kanan what happened to the US Virgin Islands (St Thomas/St John/St Croix) ITTL? Did the British take them, did they go to the US as IOTL, or are they still Danish?
I'm not Kanan but best I can tell from the world map on page 1 they seem to be part of the US

The Social Democrats seem kind of similar to the Five Star Movement in Italy—they’re both new organizations that are suddenly catapulted to power out of populist disillusionment with the main parties, only to then plummet in approval ratings and credibility as they fail to provide voters with cohesive leadership or a coherent message.

As has been pointed out, yes, the former Danish Virgin Islands have passed to the United States. Under the Presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, the islands were "fairly purchased" from the Danish over rising fears of British domination of the Caribbean. The islands became a very important naval base to protect shipping to Puerto Rico and Cuba, and were used to project power into the wider Caribbean region. As such, they are fairly wealthy due to high U.S. Military funding, and along with Puerto Rico boast the largest naval presence outside of the mainland United States. St. Croix is actually considered more developed, on average, than Puerto Rico owing to it's highly skilled population of mechanics and manufacturers.

The Social Democrats seem kind of similar to the Five Star Movement in Italy—they’re both new organizations that are suddenly catapulted to power out of populist disillusionment with the main parties, only to then plummet in approval ratings and credibility as they fail to provide voters with cohesive leadership or a coherent message.

This does make a lot of sense! I had not thought of M5S when thinking of the Social Democrats. It does fit well with the idea of rising to the occasion, and then tumbling down when reality did not match expectations.

This does make a lot of sense! I had not thought of M5S when thinking of the Social Democrats. It does fit well with the idea of rising to the occasion, and then tumbling down when reality did not match expectations.
Labour should've elected Bernie as its leader and none of this would've ever happened

so in the Crown Dependencies box it mentions Territories of Britain that have MPs? have you a list of them? Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of man I guess... surprised Malta hasn't become one, and Hong Kong. is there any movement in either for union with Britain?

2018 United Kingdom general election; 2018 general election results by constituency
m4xwSu6.png
The 2018 United Kingdom general election was held on 9 August 2018 to elect all 725 members of the House of Commons. The Labour Party of Great Britain lost their overall majority of seats in the election, and for the first time in history a Labour government was dependent on Labour MPs elected from the semi-autonomous dependencies of Gibraltar and the Isle of Man to form a majority government. Most polls had been forecasting Labour to lose its overall majority, and for the Liberal Party to win a plurality of the seats. However, there was unprecedented Labour strength in North East England, Scotland, and Greater London. Labour captured 42.7% of the overall vote, followed closely by the Liberals who secured 42.1% of the vote.

The Conservative and Unionist Party saw continued success, marking the 5th election in a row since the resignation of former leader Ian Paisley that the party increased its representation in the House of Commons, capturing 34 seats, their largest share since the 1966 general election. The election also marked the first time the Liberal Party won seats in Northern Ireland since the 1979 general election. The Green Party of England and Wales saw a gain of four seats, almost doubling their pre-election total of five seats, with the victories concentrated in London and other urban centres in England. The Scottish National Party also re-entered Parliament after losing all four of their seats in the 2014 general election.

The election campaign centred on several issues, notably the continued health of the British Economy and Britain's place in the greater Commonwealth of Nations. Prime Minister Burnham and the Labour Party stood on a platform of a continued managed reduction in Britain's overall role in the Commonwealth, as well as supporting further reforms to the Commonwealth Constitution that would ensure it was more democratic, and remove much of the extra powers that were granted the principle states, namely the United Kingdom, Canada, New England, Australia, and New Zealand. The Liberals maintained their support for the continued status quo, and argued that Britain had a unique place in the world, one in which it could not shirk from, with Liberal leader David Mundell giving the highly acclaimed Commitment to the Commonwealth speech, which was considered by many to be one of the strongest embraces of the former Empire by any British political leader since Prime Minister Jo Grimond announced the Commonwealth intervention in South Africa in the 1960s.

In Scotland, the campaign continued to focus on electoral reform, with Labour and the Scottish National Party arguing for the redistricting of Scotland's constituencies, and the Liberals arguing against any type of partisan redistricting, insisting that politics must be kept out of the work that the Boundary Commission undertakes. Support for Scottish Devolution also polled its highest ever going into the general election, with roughly forty percent of Scotland's voters supporting the formation of a devolved government, and many commentators predicted that the SNP would pick up numerous seats based on this measure. However, the increase in the SNP vote came mainly at the expense of Labour's vote share, allowing the Liberals to capture 51 of Scotland's 68 seats.

The Conservative and Unionist Party campaigned for the first time on a unified manifesto, dropping the long-standing policy of producing one for the Conservative Party in England, and one for the Unionist Party in Northern Ireland. The election also saw the first Conservative candidates stand in Wales and Scotland for the first time in over fifty years. Much of this was attributed to Conservative leader Jacob Rees-Mogg's policy of disengagement from Northern Ireland, and focusing on rebuilding the party as a strong national party for all of the United Kingdom.

Additionally, the pro-Welsh devolution party Plaid Cymru won 7 seats, the Irish nationalist Sinn Féin won 6 seats, while the left-wing Irish nationalist Social Democratic and Labour Party won 3 seats. 5 Independents and the Speaker of the House were also elected.

The election gained some notoriety, as the group Hong Kong in Westminster staged a mock election in Hong Kong for a hypothetical election of MPs to the House of Commons, and had a turnout of nearly five hundred thousand people, far more than the group or the Hong Kong government had anticipated. None of the top three parties support allowing Hong Kong to enter Parliament, despite the Labour Manifesto explicitly supporting granting MPs to Malta, the Suez, Trinidad, Barbados, Anguilla, Bermuda, and the South Atlantic Islands.

XUqrWH5.png

r0nwDRv.png

Why is it that labor doesnt want to give Hong Kong access to parliament despite supporting it for a large number of other places?
Most likely a combination of Hong Kong's large population and fears that it might send MPs who would not support a Labour government, unlike Gibraltar and the Isle of Man do.
A quick calculation suggests that Hong Kong might send around 82 MPs, which would make up about a tenth of the new House of Commons, and for this election it would mean that Labour would be below the new majority threshold of 404 MPs.
Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.