What if New Zealand acquired a fleet of fast jet combat air craft circa 2000

Weren't those F-16's basically being given away by the US or at least attempted to be? Would the more modern systems of the 16 make it cheaper long run to sustain if New Zealand went for them?
The initial cost of a F-16 is at least $14 million in 1998.
you can buy 6 F-5s for every F-16
I think NZ would stick with the F-5

Why?
The F-5 is cheaper and easier to maintain.
They are literally designed for countries like NZ.
Because (unless they were extensively upgraded perhaps as Singapore did ?? and I still have my doubts they would be as good as the A4 for strike missions but this is just speculation on my part) they won't provide the type of capability that I believe New Zealand had with their upgraded A4's,

That being said I am inclined to agree that an aircraft such as the F5 (preferably if they have already been refurbished and lightly upgraded) is likely an affordable option for a nation such as New Zealand to stay in the fast jet game and have at least a notional ability to fly certain types of missions. New Zealand apparently had greater aspirations.

Last edited:
Because they don't provide the type of capability that I believe New Zealand had with their upgraded A4's.

That being said I am inclined to agree that an aircraft such as the F5 is likely an affordable option for a nation such as New Zealand to stay in the fast jet game and have at least a notional ability to fly certain types of missions. New Zealand apparently had greater aspirations.
True, but one must always remember this:
Greater aspirations in the modern age are almost always downgraded into horrible compromises.
Examples:
Avro Arrow became a moldy old bunker.
Zumwalt class ends up with no main gun ammo.
The XM-25 was cancelled because of one little accident.
The examples are endless.

Riain

Banned
Here is the story.

Don't think of this as a 'normal' fighter acquisition project where there are other options like F5s. There aren't, it was either this unusual deal or nothing.

That said initially NZMoD and Government was on board, but that was because NZ hadn't bought fighter for almost 30 years so was ignorant of the true costs. When they started looking into it they found everything cost a million bucks: tech pubs a million, 5 user groups 1 million each, engine hush kits 1 million each etc etc etc. It was after this became apparent that the deal fell over.

BTW the F5 is no better than the A4K, which makes it worse in the real world.

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
Well the Canadian F5's had been modernized (although I don't believe they had radar) and I recall some discussion of the F16's that were intended for Pakistan likely needing some form of modernization as well at some point.

'At some point' being essentially immediately, may as well do it before bringing them into service. They had been sitting in storage for a while.

Ian_W

Banned
Then the rest of the NZDF runs out of money for things they need by the mid-2000s, as maintaining the fast jets chews up too much of their military budget.

Then the rest of the NZDF runs out of money for things they need by the mid-2000s, as maintaining the fast jets chews up too much of their military budget.
Pretty much I mean there's the Canterbury and the OPV project for the Navy and the Lav's for the Army...

I seem to recall that aircraft being discussed the popular press in New Zealand. The problem is that it was never actually sold. I doubt an order from New Zealand would have been large enough for the air craft to go into production ?

It was in the mix as a potential A-4 replacement prior to the Kahu decision in 1983-84, but without a significant order from other customers it was never a serious prospect for the RNZAF.

I don't see it being a viable strike aircraft vis a vis flying against a reasonably capable enemy. I doubt New Zealand would have acquired them.

It was rejected by the RNZAF at the time of the initial A-4 purchase for that reason, and others.