The Anglo/American - Nazi War - The on-going mystery

And probably ended up committing suicide anyways.

….

Man, the thought made me a cry a bit. Living with the shame of collaboration is just so terrible. Especially if it all comes to naught, and you lose the people who you care about anyways.

:'(:'(:'(

Things that like that reveal the true horror of Nazism better than any statistic could.

I had another story idea where decades after the war a group of European National Army veterans (French, Norwegian, Croatian, Danish, Dutch etc) who served alongside the Waffen SS meet at a reunion and share stories ranging from the mundane to the horrifying.

A good question (which I don’t think has been asked before) is if AANW was completely rewritten today how much would it vary from the original TL (started in 2009)?

Last edited:
I had another story idea where decades after the war a group of European National Army veterans (French, Norwegian, Croatian, Danish, Dutch etc) who served alongside the Waffen SS meet at a reunion and share stories.

A good question (which I don’t think has been asked before) is if AANW was completely rewritten today how much would it vary from the original TL (started in 2009)?
I think the general theme would stay the same, only just louder. I.e. let the bodies hit the floor.

I had another story idea where decades after the war a group of European National Army veterans (French, Norwegian, Croatian, Danish, Dutch etc) who served alongside the Waffen SS meet at a reunion and share stories ranging from the mundane to the horrifying.

I get the impression TTL that those things were, for a long time, things best left unsaid.

Just as OTL, there are no reunions for the Nazi veterans, I don't think there are veterans for Nazi collaborators.

I get the impression TTL that those things were, for a long time, things best left unsaid.

Just as OTL, there are no reunions for the Nazi veterans, I don't think there are veterans for Nazi collaborators.

And even if there is SS-Waffen veterans still left they are not allowed re-unite. A4 would be extremely paranoid with them.

The Middle East is a very different place. The A4's declared willingness to act to prevent genocides has kept the excesses of even the most despotic leaders in check (as an example, Assad's Syria would never have been allowed the sorts of excesses we've seen IOTL). There is a rather sullen peace in the region, with various groups too afraid of the A4 to go after historical enemies, but also unwilling to let go of generations of hatred. Jews are not being killed in any sort of numbers, but it is not a really positive environment as they are generally a disliked minority.

The A4 ever collapses, or even simply decides to stop playing global policeman, the Mideast will be one of the first place to go sideways.
What did the independence of the Middle East look like? Was there the same level of Pan-Arabism as OTL after the countries got independence? Also, how are other minorities doing in the region? IIRC there was a far larger Christian population in the region around this time period, and if there's less instability in the region I imagine fewer Maronites would leave Lebanon.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Kn

If I knew that it would wind up as long as it turned out?

Probably would have spent more time detailing the "preface" part to answer many of the questions that came up later. It was meant to start a discussion about the Reich's plan's for post victory Europe, so I intentionally left things that could develop conversation on that subject.

If I had know that it would become the sort of touchstone thread it became I would also have given somewhat more detail.

Overall it would be somewhere around 40 pages longer.

And even if there is SS-Waffen veterans still left they are not allowed re-unite. A4 would be extremely paranoid with them.

I don't picture it as something that you would...boast about to your relatives and grandchildren.

An child growing up in one of the former German states will be taught about the great evils of the time, and so will not exactly be fond of a relative who joined the Nazis.

I picture many German schoolchildren resentful of their ancestors for having willingly gone along with Hitler's madness and making themselves the most hated people in history.

Have there been any indepedence movements in the German states, or at least some support of a form of self governance?

What ever became of the pre-war German communities found throughout places like Poland and the Czech Republic, @CalBear ?

Did they suffer the same brutality, mistreatment, and expulsion that OTL German expellees suffered?

Reading about that expulsion really challenges the notion that World War II was "good vs evil". Because while the German expellees weren't being systematically exterminated, many were brutalized, robbed of their homes and possessions, and straight up killed.

It really feels like the Trail of Tears done on a biblical scale.

What ever became of the pre-war German communities found throughout places like Poland and the Czech Republic, @CalBear ?

Did they suffer the same brutality, mistreatment, and expulsion that OTL German expellees suffered?

Reading about that expulsion really challenges the notion that World War II was "good vs evil". Because while the German expellees weren't being systematically exterminated, many were brutalized, robbed of their homes and possessions, and straight up killed.

If OTL Poles and Czechs weren't very nice for Germans just imaginate how they feel after 20 years lasted oppression, slavery and killing. Any German who manage escape to occupied Germany can call himself/herself very lucky.

If OTL Poles and Czechs weren't very nice for Germans just imaginate how they feel after 20 years lasted oppression, slavery and killing. Any German who manage escape to occupied Germany can call himself/herself very lucky.

So did the Allies enable a kinder, gentler ethnic cleansing like OTL?

SsgtC

Banned
Wait- what was Stettin?
Stettin tried protesting the ongoing occupation and forced breakup of Germany (paraphrasing a bit). It got violent. The A4 dropped a Rod from God on it and obliterated the entire city and surrounding area. No one has tried anything since

Stettin tried protesting the ongoing occupation and forced breakup of Germany (paraphrasing a bit). It got violent. The A4 dropped a Rod from God on it and obliterated the entire city and surrounding area. No one has tried anything since

It was more of an armed revolt than a protest.

What happened to the Volksdeutche was a tremendous tragedy and a atrocity. That doesn't mean that WW2 wasn't the closest thing to a pure "Black Vs. White" war. It was unfortunately.

That isn't to say the allies were particularly good just that the Germans (and Japanese) were so so so much worse.