A More Imperfect Union: A History of these United States

The Second Civil War, Part 2
I0iR0HW.png

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Philadelphia.
Yep. Since Philly is like the center of the Republic in the North it's a prime target. It experienced heavy urban fighting in the form of hand to hand combat, improvised grenades, and fire bombs. Most of thr artillery of the era is unable to inflict major structural damage so fire is the siege weapon of choice. Most of the city got burned down multiple times during each battle.

Basically the entire city gets fucked. Same for New York City as well.

Damn, 1.4 million casualties, slavery into the 1870s and it forshadows a third Civil War. I love this TL and at the same time feel most sorry for these Americans.

Last edited:
Damn, 1.4 million casualties, slavery into the 1879s and it forshadows a third Civil War. I love this TL and at the same time feel most sorry for these Americans.
Yep! Full scale urban warfare in the 19th century with the line between combatants and noncombatants very blurred, lends to high casualty rates. I won't comment on the 3ACW but I've noticed that sentiment to be rather common.

holy fuck
Needless to say house to house urban warfare in the 19th century is nasty. It's even worse because "irregulars" aka common citizens that picked up a gun or sword, joined the fighting which really makes it hard to tell between combatants and noncombatants. Since anyone caught with a weapon was harshly punished aka put in prison, this usually hurt innocent civilians as much as the irregulars did.

How did the Civil War work out west of the Mississippi?

How has Louisiana been divided now? I can only assume that the newly-independent northern states would like access to it, but might be locked out by everyone else.

How did the Civil War work out west of the Mississippi?

How has Louisiana been divided now? I can only assume that the newly-independent northern states would like access to it, but might be locked out by everyone else.
Yeah the South basically has a lock on the region west of the Mississippi. The most that happened there was riots between abolitionists and pro-slavers, with the former losing out. And yes the North is basically shut out of the west now, which is the main cause for the Cold War.

I don't think Alternate History will ever excite me more than my seeing the release of the Wikipedia page for the Second Civil War. Please keep up the good work

Needless to say house to house urban warfare in the 19th century is nasty. It's even worse because "irregulars" aka common citizens that picked up a gun or sword, joined the fighting which really makes it hard to tell between combatants and noncombatants. Since anyone caught with a weapon was harshly punished aka put in prison, this usually hurt innocent civilians as much as the irregulars did.

Let me guess, the first concentration camps (in the Cuban Independence and Second Boer wars' sense, not the Nazi one) thirty years earlier?

Will Vermont/New Connecticut remain independent after the Second Civil War, or is it absorbed into the new Northern republic?
Well a "Northern Republic" won't be formed for some time, but in reality the northern states (including New Connecticut) would be brought into Ohio's economic sphere of influence. Ohio already was a major player in the economy of the North before the 2ACW, but with the North divided and so mangled, Ohio is basically going to establish economic hegemony across the north.

Well a "Northern Republic" won't be formed for some time, but in reality the northern states (including New Connecticut) would be brought into Ohio's economic sphere of influence. Ohio already was a major player in the economy of the North before the 2ACW, but with the North divided and so mangled, Ohio is basically going to establish economic hegemony across the north.

After the Northern states secedded, is there any reason Ohio won't establish political domination of the North as well? I am sure the north would welcome political Union with Ohio as well.

After the Northern states secedded, is there any reason Ohio won't establish political domination of the North as well? I am sure the north would welcome political Union with Ohio as well.
Sure they could but there are still multiple hurdles.

For one Ohio considers themselves above the petty politics of claiming to be the true successor to the United States (although they do this in another way) and thus have a distinct cultural and national identity from either the northern remnants of the Confederation and Republic. In fact those two have distinct cultures, but that is another story. So there isn't exactly a strong common identity that would make it politically acceptable to loop them in. While the north has been ravaged there still is a large population in these states that have forged a stronger identity in the fighting, so its not really politically feasible.