Land of Sweetness: A Pre-Columbian Timeline

Entry 64-1: Chīmalpāin's Name
Is there anything interesting in the Southwest?
There won't be an Oasisamerican update to Entry 39 until the mid-fifteenth century, corresponding to the collapse of Paquimé/Casas Grandes IOTL and ITTL.

how are things in the Siki and Andes?
We're still in the reign of Lakekala Siki, who disappeared only two years before Ah Ek Lemba, in 1427. Exercises making students compare Ah Ek Lemba with Lakekala, maybe even looping in the Taiguano Prophetess or the Second Guacayaraboque, will one day torture many a high schooler... The teacher could even bring in Tamerlane, if they're into that sort of comparisons.

Also how are the aimara kingdoms doing?
There will be more South American updates at some point, though only after concluding Ah Ek Lemba's campaigns (which are still far from finished). In short, the Siki commercial project has been transformative for the entirety of western South America. TTL's Incas will be dramatically different in their statecraft strategies from OTL.

Or Northwards?
I'm wondering if the Natchez culture will have any effects upriver.
how far north do they go?
Although if I were writing this TL
I haven't done nearly enough research on the Mississippians, but I'll look into a few books and see what I can do. (The PODs should already have rippled up to the Rockies by 1492, if we're being realistic.) I like @metalinvader665's ideas about the Yuchi. There should be a lot more North American updates once Ah Ek Lemba is dead and burnt...

Also, does our new Ajaw Tekti get a fancy new name now that he's king or is his title just going to be used to name him in historical records?
There's a reason his name is lost. ;)

And will the B'alam leave for Tiho now, or stay "cooperative" and fifth-column the Kan later?
We'll see. But do note that Entry 47 has the Balams but not the Kans (who have been replaced by the Pols) stationed in Q'umarkaj in 1425.

Are the Miskitu mercenaries linked to (funded by, originally from) Tawantarkira to the northeast?
They're from the general Tawantarkira area, yes. The chiefs in the Miskito homeland along the Atlantic littoral are all loyal to Tiho so far, so there's no question of support just yet. Miskitu Tara is making cultural compromises to locals, to the chagrin of some of his Miskito followers.

why have they adopted Maya titles when Nahua vocab is even in vogue among the K'iche'?
An intentional rejection of Isatian in favor of Maya is part of Miskitu Tara's anti-Tiho ideology, since the language is closely associated with the Tiho regime. The issue is that Nahuatl-speakers (technically Nahuat-speakers, but Mesoamericans don't see much of a difference) actually constitute the majority of the territories the rebel controls. The Miskito rebels currently discriminate in favor of non-Nahuas: the Mangues, the Matagalpas, and the Ulwas. This isn't a stable long-term solution, especially since the local elite is Nahuat-dominated to an even great degree than the population at large. The Miskitu will have to adopt Isatian if they want to rule here in the long term.

I thought Temiquittac's name was Chimalpain, at least that's what it was on the map from your linked post.
Yeah, that's a mistake with continuity on my part. I should make a spreadsheet at some point like GRRM supposedly does. But let me see what I can do...

CHĪMALPĀIN'S NAME

Tēmiquittac ("Dream Seer"), Soconusco's mercenary-turned-king, was once named Chīmalpāin ("Shield Carrier"). This is a late fifteenth-century legend of how he came to be called Tēmiquittac.

Chīmalpāin was sleeping on his mat one day. In his dreams he saw a thunderstorm, only the clouds were white and the lightning bolts were black. Ca tlatlīlpetlāni, he said. Black lightning is striking. Lightning without light.

The thunderstorm began in a vast flatland and swept over the heavens, and blood streamed like rivers on all the lands darkened by the shadows of the clouds. The pyramids fell to rubble and the palaces were littered with dust in every shaded country. Chīmalpāin saw villages where not a single voice was heard. The people had gone mute. When they did speak, their voices were unclear [ahmo nāhuatl]. And all the cotton ever twisted in every cloth ever woven unraveled into strands, even the very thread being woven by the women—it unraveled as it was woven.

An eagle was perched on a prickly pear plant. Then the pear plant seemed to grow feet and run away. Having lost its roost, the eagle sailed into the thunderstorm. For a moment, the black lightning seemed to abate. Then a snarling jaguar emerged from a steep cavern, pounced on the eagle, and tore off its wings. Four hundred Nahua warriors emerged as if from thin air and clubbed the cat to death. But it was too late. The eagle’s feathers were already red and wet. The warriors watched it die and gave it the cremation due an emperor.

And under all this, Chīmalpāin was carrying his shield over his head, hoping it would protect him from the hailstones and lightnings that swept across the world.

“Are you not ashamed,” asked a voice, “of your shield?”

“I am ashamed,” Chīmalpāin said.

Then the Viceroy saw in his dream three mighty cities. One was built over a lake crisscrossed by cross-bridges; another built its walls with a hundred and sixty thousand skeletons; the last, he realized, was Tiho, only different.

And all three cities were peopled as anthills are ant-ed, but in all three of them the citizens were naked, and their houses and temples were full of urine and excrement. Chīmalpāin saw people carry the droppings of birds from outside the city gates and bring them into their houses, venerating them as if they were the excrement of gods—how repulsive it was!

“Surely all these people will die of sickness!” Muttered Chīmalpāin.

“And the world will die with them,” said the voice.

“What must I do?”

“Cast down your shield! And remember what you have seen in dreams [in ōtictēmiquittac].”

“Will I live or die?”

“Do you not know the answer?”

The next day, Chīmalpāin told of what he had seen in dreams and declared independence from Ah Ek Lemba, whose name meant “He of the Black Lightning” in Maya. He knew he would die. But the people of Hullubtaca remembered him, and have called him Tēmiquittac ever since.

Last edited:
Recently I've been reading about the wars of the Diadochi after Alexander, and what has interested me greatly about the first phase of the conflict is that it was not just "generals declaring themselves kings and going their own way." For about the first decade after Alexander's death, it was agreed that the only people with a credible claim to kingship were Alexander's half-brother Arrhidaios and Alexander IV, his son by Roxane (a group of generals quibbled about whether A4's half-Asian ancestry disqualified him from governing Macedonians, despite his claim being obviously better than the full-Macedonian Arrhidaios). The main struggle wasn't over crowns but more mundane-sounding offices--even after engineering Perdiccas's death, Antigonus/Antipater/other friends decided to maintain the contrived "Arrhidaios and A4 are co-kings" formulation while confirming each other's governorships. Even later, when Cassander's conflict with Olympias/Roxanne became open warfare, neither actually claimed kingship-- Cassander claimed only to be regent for Arrhidaios, and the queen-mothers were only enforcing A4's claims. Only in 306-305 BC, years after Arrhidaios and A4 had both been caught in the crossfire and killed, did any non-Iranian Diadochos crown himself.

Thinking about how Ah Ek Lemba's situation could resemble/differ from Alexander's... first off, Ah Ek Lemba straight up has no kids, and I think the rest of his family died in the Mayapan civil wars or is unaccounted for. There's no familial heirs, so aspiring successors won't get to play the regent as a way of seizing power without offending sensibilities, or mess with each other by picking different heirs to play regent for--they'll have to actually make a case for kingship right off the bat. And another thing is that because Alexander died so young, the people he brought with him weren't particularly old when they became Diadochi. Most of the ones that survived the initial bloodletting died in their 60s or 70s (I think Lysimachos was in his eighties) after twenty- or thirty-year careers as warlords and then kings. Here, Ah Ek Lemba has ruled for nearly 40 years and counting. His youngest Finger is fifty six. The people of Ah Ek Lemba's inner circle-- the first place from which to draw potential Diadochi-- are not people with long careers ahead of them. So you're looking at tons of second- or third-generation people (not important people, but relatives of important people) stepping all over each other's toes to claim outright kingship and demanding submission from each other.

It's already been mentioned that Ah Ek Lemba will be summoning everyone to the palace in Tiho to sort things out, but there's going to be a lot of sorting to do.

Last edited:
Just finished reading through the entire TL, and this is easly the best thought out and writen TL I've ever seen, it's just fantastic how deep you went in different subjects and the details to it.

On a side note, hope Chololan makes it out of the war, but I doubt it will unfortunately.

This is one of my favorite timelines I have ever seen on this site. I love how you create suspense and investment in the characters, and how your description of the alt-Americas is detailed, plausible, and evocative. Well done!

I have recently read all of the entries in this thread. The world created in this timeline is incredibly detailed and well-researched. I'm very impressed. Even though a few bits stretched my suspension of disbelief nearly to the breaking point such as Ah Ek Lemba being able to vassalize the Central American chiefdoms and kingdoms in spite of the extremely difficult mountainous jungle terrain in the region. At best, he'd vassalize the coastal chiefdoms and kingdoms as well as the Little and Long Water Bridges. Even then, the occupying Ācuappāntōnco without rebellions flaring due to the great distance involved may be a little unrealistic to me. Historically, pre-telegraph empires have a more or less hard limit on how far they can expand and maintain themselves based on travel time from the capital or heartland to their periphery, usually 12 to 15 weeks.

To add flavor to this world, I've imagined that the Yucayan trade network and expansion of civilization to Panama have caused the Tairona to graduate to being a kingdom with a capital at Teyuna. Sandwiched as it is between the Maya-influenced states of Panama and the mercenary state of Lelem Cháakkaj, its lords and kings would be feeling the pressure. Furthermore, I've also imagined that Tawantarika is the port city for what we call Ciudad Blanca, still rumored to exist in the Mosquitia region of Honduras.

Having seen the de-canon-ed entries, I'm having strong suspicions as to the relationship between Guaiqui and Ah Ek Lemba.

Keep up with the good work, @Every Grass in Java!

hey if any of you guys are look for a good Pre columbian fix while we wait for the return of this
I highy suggest reading this https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...nze-the-shaping-of-fusania-and-beyond.466988/ one of the best pre columbian timeline of late
I don't know if it's okay with the mods to do promotion of my TL here, but thanks anyway. As I've said in the past, this TL was a big influence on mine and I'd say is still the best pre-Columbian TL on this site.

Just got caught up with this, and I really like where this is going.
I'm crossing my fingers that Ah Ek Lemba's empire does collapse after all these revolts. I imagine that the highland rebels and the more far-flung rebellions are most likely to succeed - because highlands and places further from your centre of power are some of the worst places to fight an uprising in, although full-on mountains are even worse. That said, I think Tiho will still hold on to a decent amount of land - definitely the entire *Yucatan peninsula, probably large areas of what we'd call Southern Mexico and northern Central America, and if Tiho's can hold on to a corridor to the Pacific, Soconusco as well.
On another note, when will we be getting the next political map for this TL?

Hey, does anyone know if this TL is still active? I've just finished reading it and I have to say it's one of the most informative and best researched TL's that I've seen.

Reading again and things like "I reward men and women by the number of their tears." and "They will be the sons of Inti, and the sons of Inti do not perish [Intipmi Churikunan chinkankuchu].” always give me chills. I hope see the fall of Ah Ek Lemba, the journey of Lakekala Siki, the rise of the sons of Inti and the arrival of the spanish, I hope.