"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
I'm a bit confused, can we get a list of what everyone's job/station is on the Odyssey?

Also, does the Odyssey's bridge have a layout closer to the Enterprise-D/E with three chairs in the middle, so Janeway is flanked by Evek and Chatan
Coming up. By the way, Caretaker is going to be getting another pass, so the story for that will change a good bit.

Right then, Odyssey's crew and stations:
  • Janeway - Captain
  • Chatan - First Officer
  • Evek - Seond Officer/Science Officer
  • Tuvok - Security Chief
  • Rejal - Chief Engineer
  • Torres - Tactical Officer
  • Kim - Ops Officer
  • Locarno - Helmsman
  • The Doctor - CMO
  • Falox - Guide
  • Kes - Scout
Called it. The question is, how much do the crew know about her working for the Obsidian Order?

Also, it occurred to me that one of the more prominent recurring characters in Odyssey might be an Ensign-equivalent from the Cardassian crew, as then there'd be a sense of symmetry with there being a commanding officer, lieutenant, and ensign from each of the three groups.
There's a decent amount of knowledge, but with her completely separated from the Alpha Quadrant, and thus, the order, she can't do much against the crew. In fact, her skills might come in handy every now and then, but I don't want her having too much overlap with Garak.

I should have made this clearer, but Kel Aval is a Cardassian recurring character, made by @The Chimera Virus. Kel is a rank similar to Ensign in the Cardassian military, and the Cardassian crew are still mainly using their ranks to refer to each other (this may be used to show how they change over the show, hint hint).

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
What does Kes being Odyssey's scout mean? is she flying ahead in one of the shuttles or the aeroshuttle to check for hazards along the planned route?
Great to know!
It hasn't come up too much, but yeah, she's using a shuttle to check for danger ahead some of the time, but also when a shuttle is used like in Parallax, she'd be piloting it, while Locarno remains at the helm of Voyager.

It hasn't come up too much, but yeah, she's using a shuttle to check for danger ahead some of the time, but also when a shuttle is used like in Parallax, she'd be piloting it, while Locarno remains at the helm of Voyager.
Makes sense. In a differently structured show, I could see "Kes finds something weird/interesting" being repeatedly used in the opener.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but what if....Seth MacFarlane got his big break working on Star Trek?

I'll be the first to admit I loath a lot of his comedy work, but he does have some good writers and production credits under his belt and his work on The Orville is entertaining if nothing else. Maybe ITTL, as a fan of the shows, he submits a spec script while he's still working at Hanna-Barbera (before Family Guy). Maybe it gets made, maybe it doesn't, but it does get enough attention from the producers to invite him to work on the DS9/Odyssey and work his way up the ranks. A few years cutting his teeth on more serious projects earlier might mean we get a better writer out of Seth sooner then otl

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but what if....Seth MacFarlane got his big break working on Star Trek?

I'll be the first to admit I loath a lot of his comedy work, but he does have some good writers and production credits under his belt and his work on The Orville is entertaining if nothing else. Maybe ITTL, as a fan of the shows, he submits a spec script while he's still working at Hanna-Barbera (before Family Guy). Maybe it gets made, maybe it doesn't, but it does get enough attention from the producers to invite him to work on the DS9/Odyssey and work his way up the ranks. A few years cutting his teeth on more serious projects earlier might mean we get a better writer out of Seth sooner then otl

Ditto if they can get Joss Weadon on-board for DS9/Odyssey- maybe fold a little Firefly into the post-Dominion War Federation in Season 8 of DS9 , presuming the War happens as OTL.

Good look at Odyssey's start there- some decent changes from OTL. Though after loosing the whole medical staff I would have thought recruiting someone from a planet they have passed might be an option instead of relying on fickle technology or someone who will be dead inside a few years.

Is everyone wearing Starfleet Uniform? Or are the Cardassians keeping their armour? If the Cardassian's keep their armour I can see the Marquis keeping their 'casuals'. Perhaps a compromise armour/uniform unlike anything else in Trek- in inverse it might help given the amount of times they where boarded in the last year, and out of universe it might a good start for Season 2, esp as the move to UPN might allow for some merch/toy sales?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor

Ditto if they can get Joss Weadon on-board for DS9/Odyssey- maybe fold a little Firefly into the post-Dominion War Federation in Season 8 of DS9 , presuming the War happens as OTL.

Good look at Odyssey's start there- some decent changes from OTL. Though after loosing the whole medical staff I would have thought recruiting someone from a planet they have passed might be an option instead of relying on fickle technology or someone who will be dead inside a few years.

Is everyone wearing Starfleet Uniform? Or are the Cardassians keeping their armour? If the Cardassian's keep their armour I can see the Marquis keeping their 'casuals'. Perhaps a compromise armour/uniform unlike anything else in Trek- in inverse it might help given the amount of times they where boarded in the last year, and out of universe it might a good start for Season 2, esp as the move to UPN might allow for some merch/toy sales?
I have some loose plans for both McFarlane and Whedon. I might bring McFarlane in earlier, but Whedon will be busy with Buffy in the near future. I will disclose that Firefly doens't quite happen as OTL, but elements of it do make an appearance elsewhere.

The ship didn't really have anybody better than the Doctor until the Vidiians came along, and by this point, he's starting to show signs of going beyond his parameters. However, whether he should remain in use will be a plot point especially next season.

Not everyone is wearing a Starfleet uniform, but they do all have identifying insignia (i.e. comm badges and rank pips or stripes). I've been having a think, and I'm in the process of coming up with a compromise uniform that will be more armoured. I've not got everything set in stone, but I'm pretty happy with my ideas so far. I have a "merchandising" update planned, and that's coming during TTL's 1997, so next season of ODY.

Is Lucas still doing the 'Special Editions' of the Star Wars movies in advance of the Phantom Menace or has he decided not to make the prequels as we know them?

Is Star Wars going to TV or cartoons to tell the prequels story or will Lucasarts just make sequels instead?

Are you going to be doing a video game round-up @Timelordtoe

Is Lucas still doing the 'Special Editions' of the Star Wars movies in advance of the Phantom Menace or has he decided not to make the prequels as we know them

Is Star Wars going to TV or cartoons to tell the prequels story or will Lucasarts just make sequels instead?

If George doesn’t get divorced, or the marriage ends on better terms, we might see a better quality of prequels. Marcia Lucas, George’s first wife, is supposedly responsible for helping making the original trilogy as good as it is, helping him on his draft scripts and well as editing major portions of those 3 movies. Keep her around and you have someone who’s not too afraid or starstruck by George to talk him out of a mistake as well as helping tighten up his scripts

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Is Lucas still doing the 'Special Editions' of the Star Wars movies in advance of the Phantom Menace or has he decided not to make the prequels as we know them?

If George doesn’t get divorced, or the marriage ends on better terms, we might see a better quality of prequels. Marcia Lucas, George’s first wife, is supposedly responsible for helping making the original trilogy as good as it is, helping him on his draft scripts and well as editing major portions of those 3 movies. Keep her around and you have someone who’s not too afraid or starstruck by George to talk him out of a mistake as well as helping tighten up his scripts
As the divorce happened in '83, it's a little out of the purview of the timeline, as I'm trying to keep it to one main POD. Star Wars will get an update pretty soon, and suffice it to say tha things will be different to OTL significantly. There will be video gaming updates here and there, as I have a couple of things planned on that front (especially with regards to film and TV).

On a side note, I've made the changes to Odyssey's opening story. The Cardassians are given a little more to do, and the array is damaged beyond repair when the Kazon ship hits it, meaning that the crews have no choice but to travel the long way back.

Also, I've made a Discord server for the timeline, if anybody wants to be a part of that. I'm not sure what the site's policy is on putting the link here, so for now I'll just say to PM me if you want to join, and I'll send you the link.

EDIT: As mentioned before, I'm going on a break for a few days. I may be able to put the odd message here and there, but don't expect anything until Sunday evening (GMT) at the earliest.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised either, thinking on it more.
I can't remember where I heard about a big rubber suit with a coolant system.
The only think I can remember right now is that when they were filming the '00's Fantastic Four movies outdoors in winter all of the actors were freezing, except for Michael Chiklis as The Thing, as the rubber suit added an extra inch or two of insulation around his whole body.

The last few Godzilla movies of the 90's had a form of air conditioning installed. I'm unsure how exactly it worked.

However it worked, it not only helped the actor be comfortable but also aid during shooting of the sfx scenes involving smoke.

I don't know about western suits of that time of that time period, but Ken Satsuma more than earned his pay.

This rather late but Neil Gaiman working on who could be rather interesting. Hes one of my favourite writers and could bring a new tone to who. I love the Doctor's wife a lot. Can't wait for
Michael Sheen to show up :p.

This could he a strong time for the shows writing, as a lot of big who writers got their start as this time, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss being the two of the big ones. I'm wondering if other comic writers could show up to write for who. I know Grant Morrison and Alan Moore did some who comics

I'm wondering if we could maybe see some take on Faction Paradox show up in this era. Would fit with the gothic and cosmic horor themes that Gaiman loves so much.

Last edited:
On an off-topic, if there is an American Godzilla movie ITTL, please let it be more faithful to the Japanese original (maybe have Quentin Tarantino exec-produce it--he probably would be more respectful of the Godzilla mythos than Roland Emmerich was IOTL, given his love of Japanese movies and culture)...

And Godzilla running away from the Apache helicopters?!? If that were the Japanese Godzilla, he would have burst out laughing at the Apaches, and then destroyed them with his atomic breath, IMO (which they also took out of the American Godzilla for no good reason). On the other hand, keep Jean Reno somehow--that guy was the best thing about the American version of Godzilla...

On an off-topic, if there is an American Godzilla movie ITTL, please let it be more faithful to the Japanese original (maybe have Quentin Tarantino exec-produce it--he probably would be more respectful of the Godzilla mythos than Roland Emmerich was IOTL, given his love of Japanese movies and culture)...

And Godzilla running away from the Apache helicopters?!? If that were the Japanese Godzilla, he would have burst out laughing at the Apaches, and then destroyed them with his atomic breath, IMO (which they also took out of the American Godzilla for no good reason). On the other hand, keep Jean Reno somehow--that guy was the best thing about the American version of Godzilla...

This.

Oh and this article has info on the production of the unmade movie before that trainwreck.

One of these days I'll get back to working my alternate Godzilla film stuff.

Chapter VI: "Building Tension"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part III, Chapter VI: "Building Tension"

“We had a plan for the entire show going into the third season. We already had a soft guarantee from Paramount that should we keep the rating high, we’d get the full eight seasons that we wanted. So we went all in, creating this big story involving the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Quadrants. Star Trek had never really done a proper war story before, so that was what we decided to do. Show what the Federation was really like when it was forced into a corner.”​
- Ira Stephen Behr on the story of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Season Two of Deep Space Nine had been a big success. The move to UPN had seen its ratings increase, and gave UPN a solid start on becoming a “fifth network”. While its other shows were not doing quite as well, UPN was able to market itself as “the home of Star Trek”, a slogan that would only become more true with the announcement that starting with its second season, Odyssey would also be moving to UPN.

Season Three would see the beginning of the “Dominion arc” that would come to dominate much of the rest of the show’s run. This season would see the Federation enter into a state of cold war with the Dominion, following their encounters with it during the second season. It would also see the tone of the show shift even darker, as fear of a Dominion invasion rises after they easily cripple a Galaxy-class vessel.

Many important players would also make their first appearances this season. Most notably, the Kzinti, who had not been seen since The Animated Series, would make a return in the two part season finale “Kilkenny Cats”. This story would also see the return of the Caitians, who had not been seen since Star Trek IV. [1]

The recurring cast would continue to expand this season, with the addition of Commander Solaris, Leeta, Kassidy Yates, Michael Eddington and Commander Arpad Tigan. Commander Tigan, who would be the Lakota’s new first officer, would appear first in the story “Rejoined”, which would tackle Trill culture, and explore the reason why Trill had not been accepted into the Federation. [2]

But Season Three would bring a change more important than these. Season Three’s two part opener, “The Search”, would introduce the USS Valiant, the first Starfleet vessel built explicitly for war. It would differ vastly from previous ships visually, being small and highly manoeuvrable. Writer Ira Stephen Behr would describe it rather than being an exploratory vessel, that it was “on a five-year mission to kick some a**”.

This would make Deep Space Nine the first Star Trek series to feature two “hero ships” simultaneously, though Odyssey would feature other hero ships joining its convoy throughout its run. The third season opener would also see Commander Sisko being given a promotion to Captain, as he takes command of the Valiant. Lt. Kelly would be appointed as the first officer of the Valiant, as an extension of his role as Strategic Operations officer. [3]

Commander Arpad Tigan, played by Bryan Cranston, would be introduced as a joined Trill that had been exiled from Trill culture after he entered a relationship with Dr. Lenara Kahn, another joined Trill he had been involved with in a previous host. The first story to feature him, “Rejoined”, would see him dealing with the effects of being cut off from the rest of Trill society, and would paint the Trill in a different light to how they had been previously. [4]

Commander Solaris, who had been introduced as Sub-Commander Jenai in the previous season, would be the first recurring Romulan character on the show, as she is appointed to the station to oversee the use of the Valiant’s cloaking device.

With the beginning of the Dominion arc, many smaller plot points would appear that would be paid off in following seasons. Using such a long arc was a serious risk for the show, but it was the hope of both the writers and producers that it was one that would pay off, and hopefully would earn Deep Space Nine a legacy as being a ground-breaking show. [5]

[1] The idea to bring back the Kzinti, and the story "Kilkenny Cats" are works of @The Chimera Virus.
[2] I've said this before, but the Trill are possibly my favourite species in all of Star Trek, and canon is unclear as to whether they are a member of the Federation. "Rejoined" is different as Jadzia is in a relationship, so I decided to use it to tackle that question.
[3] Kelly is filling the role of Worf from OTL, though obviously his character is different.
[4] Arpad will be very different to Jadzia, and they won't get along.
[5] DS9 is a bit of a more adventurous show compared to OTL, as Berman isn't involved. Pay close attention to some stuff this season.

Looking forward to this DS9 season @Timelordtoe as this was when DS9 really kicked off with strong stories and characters.

As a request, can we see less 'Torture O'Brien' and 'Funny Ferengi' episodes? Not that all of them where bad Little Green Men for example, but it got cliche.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Looking forward to this DS9 season @Timelordtoe as this was when DS9 really kicked off with strong stories and characters.

As a request, can we see less 'Torture O'Brien' and 'Funny Ferengi' episodes? Not that all of them where bad Little Green Men for example, but it got cliche.
I've tried to cut down on both. That being said, I think a bit of comic relief here and there is good for the show. Tell you the truth, The Magnificent Ferengi, Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Badda-Bing Badda-Bang are three of my favourite DS9 stories, and The Magnificent Ferengi has, in my opinion, the funniest moment of the entire franchise ("Can I Help You Gentlemen?"). But as one of the writers for the show pointed out, the Ferengi started as villains that didn't quite work, and ended up as comic relief that didn't quite work. I'm planning on using some of Armin Shimerman's plans for the Ferengi down the line, and removing some of the comic relief stories that didn't work too well.

Chapter VII: "Cold War"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part III, Chapter VII: "Cold War"

“I think we really hit our stride during Season Three. I know I started really enjoying myself then, and not just because of the people I got to work with on ‘my’ episodes. A lot of my colleagues from The Next Generation commented on how our sets seemed more ‘serious’, but I think that it was just the case that we didn’t mess around quite as much as we did on The Next Generation. But there were still plenty of good moments behind the scenes on Deep Space Nine.”​
- Christian Slater on the differences on set between The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

Season Two of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine had seen many changes to the show that saw it start to move away from the “safe” and more into the unknown. Perhaps most importantly, the show went into its third season with a new “big bad” in the form of the Dominion. For the first time in the show’s history, the future of the Federation was properly at stake, as it found itself facing off against an enemy that was far more powerful.

The two part opener, “The Search”, would see the introduction of the USS Valiant, the first Federation warship, and the beginning of a sort of cold war with the Dominion. Throughout the season, the Alpha and Beta Quadrants would be seen to enter a period of destabilisation, brought on by the machinations of the Founders.

Season Three of Deep Space Nine would see it retain the 9% viewership rating that it had earned the previous season, though it would be reviewed more positively. Many critics noted that in its third season, Deep Space Nine had finally figured out what it would be. A war story.

List of Episodes of Season 3 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:
  1. The Search (Part I)​
  2. The Search (Part II)​
  3. The House of Quark​
  4. Web of Lies​
  5. Equilibrium​
  6. Civil Defence​
  7. Valiant​
  8. Rejoined​
  9. Past Tense (Part I)​
  10. Past Tense (Part II)​
  11. Mother Tongue​
  12. Second Skin​
  13. Vash Decisions​
  14. Outcasts​
  15. Improbable Cause (Part I)​
  16. The Die is Cast (Part II)​
  17. The Abandoned​
  18. Distant Voices​
  19. All Bets Are Off (Part I)
  20. Drawn and Quartered (Part II)
  21. Sojourners (Part III)
  22. Explorers​
  23. Transfer Window​
  24. Family Business​
  25. Kilkenny Cats (Part I)
  26. Kilkenny Cats (Part II)
Bold text indicates a story by @The Chimera Virus

Main Cast of Season 3 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:
Captain Benjamin SiskoLaurence Fishburne
Constable OdoRene Auberjonois
Lt. Jadzia DaxFamke Janssen
Jake SiskoCirroc Lofton
Chief Miles O'BrienColm Meaney
QuarkArmin Shimerman
Dr. (Lt.) Julian BashirAlexander Siddig
Lt. Andrew KellyChristian Slater
Major Kira NerysNana Visitor

Recurring Cast of Season 3 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: [1]
Captain John SheridanPeter Capaldi
Anna SheridanKirsten Dunst
Admiral David GardenerPierce Brosnan
Keiko O'BrienRosalind Chao
Kassidy YatesPenny Johnson Jerald
Lt. Cmdr. Michael EddingtonKenneth Marshall
Mildred KellyBetty White
RomMax Grodenchik
NogAron Eisenberg
Elim GarakAndrew Robinson
Gul DukatMarc Alaimo
Vedek WinnLouise Fletcher
Kai BareilPhillip Anglim
LeetaChase Masterton
Grand Nagus ZekWallace Shawn
Lt. K'ReneVirginia Madsen
Commander Arpad TiganBryan Cranston
Commander SolarisLinda Hunt

During the production of the third season, the head writer, Ira Stephen Behr, had approached Paramount to discuss the story arc he and the other writers were planning on doing. While Deep Space Nine had originally been commissioned for only six seasons, Odyssey was to be given eight. It was Behr’s opinion that the arc would work much better if given two extra seasons. Given the ratings, Paramount agreed, though they decided to not deal with renewing contracts yet. [2]

[1] A few things about casting here. 1: Siddig changes his name per OTL and in the same year (1996). 2: I'm not sure why the tables have different cell widths and I couldn't fix it. 3: The reason why Mildred Kelly wasn't mentioned earlier is that she's one of @The Chimera Virus's characters, and I wasn't sure whether she would be introduced in this season. The previous update will be changed accordingly.
[2] So, one of our first major changes (though we've actually had a couple already). DS9 will be an eight season show.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if Marina Stris joined the regular Cast in Season 3 as Deanna Troi to provide Counselling and Diplomatic help to the DS9 since they where on the frontier and front-line.

Be an good continuation of Troi's character devolpment arc from TNG, and seeing her without the Enterprise safety net would be fascinating.