Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Neat! So I'm gonna say what we're all thinking: does this mean this whole series was a long-winded prologue to an ASB timeline where Alfarus drinks a live-forever potion? :rolleyes: Talk about Meridian chemistry, am I right?

Neat! So I'm gonna say what we're all thinking: does this mean this whole series was a long-winded prologue to an ASB timeline where Alfarus drinks a live-forever potion? :rolleyes: Talk about Meridian chemistry, am I right?

He will turn the entire combine into a vast transmutation circle and consume The Truth, to become more powerful than god.

The alternative – that the Societists are the first to radioactivity, the changing of one element into another – is perhaps even scarier than an inmortal Alfarus...

At first I was reading this kinda dispassionately and thinking "oh cool more tech" but then I realized: We're saying goodbye to steam. To steam! How many words encompass the LTTW brand as well as steam? And with oil comes familiar tech and familiar applications of that tech in conflicts of superpower-led blocs over the Mideast. Of course here the Ottomans and Persians are far more capable of exploring their hydrocarbons themselves instead of needing an intermediate phase of selling off all the deposits to Brits and Americans, and there may well never be a single Diversitarian superpower, etc etc but man... end of an era. Feels like there's a lot less scope for wacky tech now, but I'm still here for the educational tidbits of chemo drugs being derived from mustard gas and the like. And a century of experience with steam could have its impact on the handling of nuclear power.

That teaser with Societist transmutation probably is radioactivity, but have we considered the compelling alternative of... electroplating? A shiny coat of aluminum on the Celatores' Peace-Blasters would let them reflect solar glare into the eyes of the nationalistically blinded, incapacitating them without firing a single shot!

At first I was reading this kinda dispassionately and thinking "oh cool more tech" but then I realized: We're saying goodbye to steam. To steam! How many words encompass the LTTW brand as well as steam? And with oil comes familiar tech and familiar applications of that tech in conflicts of superpower-led blocs over the Mideast. Of course here the Ottomans and Persians are far more capable of exploring their hydrocarbons themselves instead of needing an intermediate phase of selling off all the deposits to Brits and Americans, and there may well never be a single Diversitarian superpower, etc etc but man... end of an era. Feels like there's a lot less scope for wacky tech now, but I'm still here for the educational tidbits of chemo drugs being derived from mustard gas and the like. And a century of experience with steam could have its impact on the handling of nuclear power.

Nuclear power still uses steam.

Thande

Donor
I know what you mean, but bear in mind we are only talking about a military technology focus here - there will be future updates looking at the impact of new technologies on civilian life, and that's a bit of a different story.

"Bundeskanzler Fritz Ziege, still popular with the people after a decade in power, dramatically resigned when Bundeskaiser Anton demanded the ship be named after his recently deceased and highly unpopular father (who had spent four years in, stripped of euphemisms, amounted to an asylum)."

Doesn't Part 221 say Johann Georg was succeeded as Emperor by Christian II/IV?

Skallagrim

Banned
the Societists’ big breakthrough came in one of the most ancient quests of the alchemists…
does this mean this whole series was a long-winded prologue to an ASB timeline where Alfarus drinks a live-forever potion?
The alternative – that the Societists are the first to radioactivity, the changing of one element into another – is perhaps even scarier than an inmortal Alfarus...
I'm thinking along the lines of napalm or something like that, really... You know, it being called "alchemical" in the sense of "re-discovering the long-lost secret of Greek Fire".

Thande

Donor
"Bundeskanzler Fritz Ziege, still popular with the people after a decade in power, dramatically resigned when Bundeskaiser Anton demanded the ship be named after his recently deceased and highly unpopular father (who had spent four years in, stripped of euphemisms, amounted to an asylum)."

Doesn't Part 221 say Johann Georg was succeeded as Emperor by Christian II/IV?
It should be Anton, if there is an inconsistency I will fix that (and thanks for spotting it).

Why on Earth would the Germans name their machine after a North American subspecies of the Brown Bear.
And why would the use the English word?
1) Why on Earth would the OTL Germans name their tank after an Indian tiger? Or an African and Asian leopard?
2) That's not the English word. Grislybär is German (but lacking the diacritic because the Motext set up can't handle them, as noted above).

Thande

Donor
N-[(4-Hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)methyl]nonanamide?

As a more innocent possibility (considering the mentions of food orders in previous updates: Extra-virgin Olive Oil?

Edit: some sort of ethyl? Booze?
That's an interesting interpretation of the code name - not correct but I like you're trying to figure it out.

A clue will come if you look back on previous instances of the London placenames call-up code - without being too precise.