Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross posting from MOTF210, inspired by @Falkanner 's "Mega Germany, Traditional Colonial Powers PWNed" scenario.

SplittinUp.png

This is an alternate history map that has minor spoilers for my timeline: The House of Komnenos, Like a Phoenix From the Ashes.: An Eastern Roman Timeline. This is a rough map of the political situation in the timeline. None of this is finalized though, and this was something I did when I first started making maps. What do you guys think of this? Any tips. My timeline essentially involves a Komnenian led restoration of the Eastern Roman Empire from Trebizond.
Kingdom of Spirus eh? :winkytongue:

You're right about the need for messier borders, I'll try to fix that. Exclaves. hmmmm. That's not something you see a lot in ATLs, but they will be much more common ITTL anyway so why not a few here. Probably mostly or only by the coast. Maybe Fort Ross as a Russian exclave. As for Britain, this is far from a fully planned/fleshed out TL, but I don't see their navy being destroyed or substantially weakened during the war, and if I go with an early loss of Hanover, then there ends up being an even larger connection with/emphasis on the ITTL already more coastally focused colonies, so I'd expect a continued powerful naval presence, so I think that at least some land in the OTL Oregon country (which means southern BC to Oregon, so a lot of leeway within that for diffwill be British (I'll go with southern Vancouver Island and the Salish Sea coast as their early landing points and center of settlement). I think that a longer-lived Spanish empire might actually push north a fair bit along the coast into OTL Oregon state. I'm not sure about Anglo Oregonese exclaves though.
Sounds good to me. This may be of use,
250px-Spanish_contact_in_BC_and_Alaska.jpg
, its from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_expeditions_to_the_Pacific_Northwest
You might also like to try these;
http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/SpanishExplorers/072511_spanish.html

http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/rey/alaska-spanish_place_names-intro.html

I'm sure there are sites regarding Russia in that area as well

Thanks for all of these resources. The map is a really nice and simple way to visualize it and that other list is quite extensive.

In my own research, I found a good map of Russian forts in the region, but apart from Ross and a few on Kauai, IIRC, all of them fall more or less in Alaskas contiguous territory. I think I quite like Nootka, though it is smack dab in the middle of British Oregon's core territory. Maybe I'll go with Bucareli Sound, anything further would be a little bit far to the north for the Spaniards to keep a solid hold on. I think that some of these exclaves might get seized during or after any wars of independence though and also kind of don't entirely like the idea of having exactly one Russian enclave and one Spanish one. I think I might give the Russians another one in California, I'll just find a good place to build a fort (ideally in a bay, on a hill, near the mouth of a river, but really I'm hoping for 2/3 at best) in an area that wasn't heavily settled by the Spanish. Alternatively, I'll give the Spanish one more exclave if I can find a logical place in the list of Spanish named places

ddq8l14-179c94a9-9493-45f5-b717-892bc0c57b33.png

Really small and silly concept: Have two countries share the exact same borders, or at least as much as possible. I could have done it with two landlocked countries, but that'd be too easy. Instead, I decided to place them in the Middle East between the Black Sea, Caspian Sea, Mediterranean, and Persian Gulf. The two theoretical countries would get three coasts each on these four bodies of water. Besides the water, they share the exact same shape.

I don't know what else to say. Silly concept complete, I suppose.

In the 2000’s, Libyan dictator Muhammad Gaddafi begins to go fund cyber warfare, calling some of the best hackers and scientists to Libya to work for large sums of money. In 2011, as the Arab spring was going on, Egyptian and Tunisian online assets were turned against them and transferred to Libya. The Libyan army quickly stormed through the now collapsed countries in anarchy. They were integrated into Libya, and the United Arab Jamahirya was founded, which is usually known as the Jamahirya.

Cyber warfare was beginning to expand internationally after the Jamahirya’s takeover of Egypt and Tunisia, and in 2018 a worldwide cyberwar broke out between the United States, Russia and China, devastating the economies of those countries (but not collapsing them entirely). As the rest of the world was in chaos, the Jamahirya thrived, and it’s economy boomed from a stream of educated refugees from Europe. In 2019, the nation invaded Israel and Palestine, easily storming through them with its superior firewalls and hacking capabilities. The war ended when the Jamahiryans hacked a nuclear submarine and threatened to use it against the two enemies.

There were plans to go invade Chad to regain the Auzou strip, but Colonel Gaddafi died today on February 11th in his sleep. He has not picked a successor, but time will tell what will happen to the nation which invented the newest and possibly most dangerous form of warfare in history.

(Note, the link in the title shows the full image file)​

This is actually really damn good. For some reason you don’t see many cyber warfare TLs, or many Libya wanks.

Deleted member 108228

Interesting idea, I haven't seen that many scenarios with a successful Libyan state, nor one with cyber-warfare as a central focus. Speaking of this scenario, how does the world react to this new precedent? That is, the precedent of cyber-warfare being used to take down nations? Does the US begin funding it's own cyber-warfare unit, and if so, does it try and bring down Gaddafi's regime?

Interesting idea, I haven't seen that many scenarios with a successful Libyan state, nor one with cyber-warfare as a central focus. Speaking of this scenario, how does the world react to this new precedent? That is, the precedent of cyber-warfare being used to take down nations? Does the US begin funding it's own cyber-warfare unit, and if so, does it try and bring down Gaddafi's regime?
The United States really did try hard to bring Gaddafi down, but just like what happened with Castro, it did not turn out and the Colonel was a lucky guy, survivng a total of 9 assassination attempts by the CIA. The United States began to create its own cyber warfare department, but it was nowhere as good as the Jamahirya, or even those of some other countries. The fact that Gaddafi had been inviting all the top hackers from around the world to live in a luxurious hotel complex with unlimited computing assets for nearly 15 years really did not help the US.

However, in 2018, a short but devastating cyber war with Russia and China occurred, which took down several United States government offices, compromised military facilities and transferred online assets to themselves. The US did the same with Russia and China, and by the end of the war (which was only a week) the country was facing serious instability issues. President Donald Trump stepped in and transformed the United States into a dictatorship, and the army is going around terrorizing protesters as the president decreed that the Constitution was officially suspended. They kind of have bigger problems then one weird guy in North Africa now.

There were also some other Cyber warfare antics going around. The Russians were the masters of it, and they had easily taken down Ukraine and Georgia. The Chinese also did use these tactics to gain leverage over some African countires, and the Saudis used it to increase the price of oil by hacking wells in Venezuela and Iraq. The most shocking use was the fact that North Korea had apparently been sucking money clean of poorer African countries and leaving them into anarchy.

My partner helped me by doing the phonetic spelling of all of these based on these links:
https://www.ling.upenn.edu/courses/Fall_2014/ling115/phonetics.html

Queens should be /kwinz/. Also, you have "Staten" and "Manhattan" transcribed so that they don't rhyme. Does that reflect how you (or your partner) pronounce those words? Personally, I'd transcribe them with the same ending (either /ən/, / ɪn/, or syllabic /n/). Then again, it's an ATL, so pronunciation could shift.

How did West Virginia and Nickajack happen without the Civil War? And what happened to Delaware?

Your California division is just right for the 1800s, so I'm assuming the other border changes aren't random.

My general idea was a stronger progressive movement and a desire to replace the lost stars motivated the creation of the two states but it wasn’t very thought out why they would exist without the civil war. Delaware combined with the portion of Maryland and Virginia on its side of the peninsula. More subtle border changes like the Illinois/Wisconsin border have to have an earlier POD

So the US state borders are kind of random but I did try to keep the state borders to those that were actually proposed in OTL

Last edited:
G
Thanks for all of these resources. The map is a really nice and simple way to visualize it and that other list is quite extensive.

In my own research, I found a good map of Russian forts in the region, but apart from Ross and a few on Kauai, IIRC, all of them fall more or less in Alaskas contiguous territory. I think I quite like Nootka, though it is smack dab in the middle of British Oregon's core territory. Maybe I'll go with Bucareli Sound, anything further would be a little bit far to the north for the Spaniards to keep a solid hold on. I think that some of these exclaves might get seized during or after any wars of independence though and also kind of don't entirely like the idea of having exactly one Russian enclave and one Spanish one. I think I might give the Russians another one in California, I'll just find a good place to build a fort (ideally in a bay, on a hill, near the mouth of a river, but really I'm hoping for 2/3 at best) in an area that wasn't heavily settled by the Spanish. Alternatively, I'll give the Spanish one more exclave if I can find a logical place in the list of Spanish named places
Glad to have been of help - don't forget that the Russians had interests on Hawaii as well - possible use as a base for further southward expansion if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.