Final fate of "British Columbia" by the end

• 1. Eventual independence

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 2. Eventual merging with the US

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • 3. Something else (post in thread for more details)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  1. I presume that when Columbia becomes independent they're dropping the "British" part.
  2. I'm glad Texas is staying independent. I've always had a "more the merrier" view in regards to AH nations. Looking forward to seeing how California shapes up.
  3. I'm guessing that OTL British Columbia in Canada would be called New Caledonia in TTL. It's as good a name as any.
  4. Could Canada be declaring independence because, among other grievances, of how the Brits seem to pander to the slave-owning British Columbians?
  5. What are the capitals of the various states in North America?

1. Could Canada be declaring independence because, among other grievances, of how the Brits seem to pander to the slave-owning British Columbians?
I doubt, as they already did put them down, Canada never have any major issue with britain, and without the underground railroad, canada would give even less a damn about slavery, if anything they will want to be conquered by the USA like OTL

I think it would be happening Earlier, because if Sally Hemmings getting pregnant earlier and Jefferson is obviously the father when he propose anti-slavery measures, he would want his children from her to born free and legitimized (and hence he would use the "all men created equal" clause to emancipated and married his ex-slave). Especially if he get a son from the hypothetical early pregnancy of Hemmings.

I am not sure that Sally Hemings and Jefferson would eventually have gotten together without his many years in France. Them living close quarters for nearly three years in an fancy apartment when they weren't going to Versailles balls, restaurants or traveling in Europe was its start. Obviously, it might have anyway, but Jefferson's plantation was the quite the opposite of close quarters living so if it did it might have been a very different time.

Good ideas guys. Stay tuned for the next update and the revisions of some previous chapters to make them larger. Usually I try to get 900-1000 words per update but sometimes that's not the case.

1. I presume that when Columbia becomes independent they're dropping the "British" part.
  2. I'm glad Texas is staying independent. I've always had a "more the merrier" view in regards to AH nations. Looking forward to seeing how California shapes up.
  3. I'm guessing that OTL British Columbia in Canada would be called New Caledonia in TTL. It's as good a name as any.
  4. Could Canada be declaring independence because, among other grievances, of how the Brits seem to pander to the slave-owning British Columbians?
  5. What are the capitals of the various states in North America?
1. Probably
2. No plans for California yet, but that will wait and see.
3. Nice idea for New Caledonia. Should add this in the Canada chapter when it ever arrives
4. One reason for the fire in the rear. The British do attempt to correct this in the 1830s but it's too little, too late. I should write more about that.
5. I don't see any capitals of states changing from what they are in real life. Only difference I think is GA where it's not Atlanta. (It moves to Milledgeville at one point).

1. Probably
2. No plans for California yet, but that will wait and see.
3. Nice idea for New Caledonia. Should add this in the Canada chapter when it ever arrives
4. One reason for the fire in the rear. The British do attempt to correct this in the 1830s but it's too little, too late. I should write more about that.
5. I don't see any capitals of states changing from what they are in real life. Only difference I think is GA where it's not Atlanta. (It moves to Milledgeville at one point).
  1. Considering California's position on the west coast it'd be interesting to see how independent California would react to Chinese immigration. That's in the future, of course.
  2. It just makes sense to rename it since British Columbia is, of course, taken.
  3. I meant the capitals of the various nations/colonies. Where is America's capital? Where is British Columbia's? Where is Canada's? I'm guessing that Texa's capital is likely San Antonio since Austin was named after a specific person and that's easy to butterfly away. Though there's going to be a point when you're going to have to think up new states for America since naturally, the circumstances of the timeline would result in new names and borders.

1. Considering California's position on the west coast it'd be interesting to see how independent California would react to Chinese immigration. That's in the future, of course.
  2. It just makes sense to rename it since British Columbia is, of course, taken.
  3. I meant the capitals of the various nations/colonies. Where is America's capital? Where is British Columbia's? Where is Canada's? I'm guessing that Texa's capital is likely San Antonio since Austin was named after a specific person and that's easy to butterfly away. Though there's going to be a point when you're going to have to think up new states for America since naturally, the circumstances of the timeline would result in new names and borders.
Thank you for that. I'll go update the roadmaps tomorrow. New province or state names, definitely. I'll go see.

Thank you for that. I'll go update the roadmaps tomorrow. New province or state names, definitely. I'll go see.

If the Red River Colony in Canada is more successful I'd have the Canadian province in the area be named Selkirk after the guy who set it up. That's in the area of OTL Manitoba in Canada

If the Red River Colony in Canada is more successful I'd have the Canadian province in the area be named Selkirk after the guy who set it up. That's in the area of OTL Manitoba in Canada
Ah. Good idea. Maybe I should make state/province capitals (I don't think any countries will change capitals... yet.)

New Bern was North Carolina's state capitol, but a group made plans to move it after British attacks during the revolution. I don't know if that would happen TTL with North Carolina remaining loyal? But if it doesn't, there is going to be even more pressure on the aristocrats to allow those in the western part greater power. Of course, one thing that could happen is that more western parts of North Carolina becomes part of Tennessee in this timeline.

New Bern was North Carolina's state capitol, but a group made plans to move it after British attacks during the revolution. I don't know if that would happen TTL with North Carolina remaining loyal? But if it doesn't, there is going to be even more pressure on the aristocrats to allow those in the western part greater power. Of course, one thing that could happen is that more western parts of North Carolina becomes part of Tennessee in this timeline.
Hmmm. Interesting. I could keep it New Bern, perhaps edit that into the Jackson chapter?

Hmmm. Interesting. I could keep it New Bern, perhaps edit that into the Jackson chapter?

That would make sense - Tennessee obviouisly would have different means of becoming a colony TTL, and it makes sense that the more rural parts of North Carolina would split off - perhaps what almost became the state of Franklin OTL would be part of Tennessee.

That would make sense - Tennessee obviouisly would have different means of becoming a colony TTL, and it makes sense that the more rural parts of North Carolina would split off - perhaps what almost became the state of Franklin OTL would be part of Tennessee.
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should add that in during western expansion part 3 (because it's the formation of new states and provinces), or alternate formations of existing ones.

@sampleswift just started reading this and saw your note American Dream vs American Reality, it made me sit up straight. There was an interview of Van Jones by Infowars (they caught him walking outside) and he was charismatic enough not to fall for their stupid questions and take control of the dialogue. About 30 min long and the first 10-15 can get cringy sometimes b/c of how they try to 'trap' him but at the end he gave a really good speech about the 'Founding Dream' vs 'Founding Reality', so maybe you can incorporate what he said somehow into your story since it seems to be similar. Now off to properly read this story!

That's fascinating. I'll go see to that. I might also incorporate some multiverse shenanigans later on down the line..?
The universe numbering system n-2 to n-53 (and beyond)? Maybe even an afterlife chapter?

Update: Making sure all numbered chapters other than the first have 1,000 words.
Added more content to "Important Speeches and Quotations", and both "Panic in British Columbia" chapters.

Last edited: