An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Here's what I think will happen to Italy Post war
italy.png

Whats kingdom of the isles, and why dont carthage /genoa attempts to seize it? Its in the middle of their sealanes and if there's anything genoa/carthage have, its ships.

Whats kingdom of the isles, and why dont carthage /genoa attempts to seize it? Its in the middle of their sealanes and if there's anything genoa/carthage have, its ships.
Its from a Aragonese Pretender as far as I can recall. They own corsica, sardinia and balearic islands, that's why their called the kingdom of the isles.
As for Carthage taking it well they dont have the power to do so, and they have bigger problems such as the marinids. Besides probably some of the latin powers would help them cause it's good buffer against Rome.

India seems to in standoff, hopefully they use this time to modernise with European backing/meddling.

Another Ottoman conquest seems unlikely with the Romans eager for round 2. The ghosts of Andreas III and prince Osman will definitely be disappointed.

Femto

Banned
The talk of Despotates needs to keep in mind the functional reason that they exist in the first place: to relieve the administrative burden upon Constantinople. They allow for local government to promote stability by delegating power to locals. They also have to be large enough to field an effective military force to respond to threats both on the borders and from within the territory. A Despotate thus must be a capable state in its own right with a large enough territory, population, and revenue to sustain itself as if it were an independent country. If it is too small then it will be unable to do the duty that Constantinople needs them to do.

Does any new despotate in Italy cannot be one of the small fractious North Italian statelets but must be a relatively large country. The former territory of the kingdom of Lombardy under Charlemagne works well for that but can of course be modified to the betterment of Constantinople and the appeasement of Sicily.
Will the Despotates ever be integrated?

Will the Despotates ever be integrated?
B444 has mentioned before that they probably won't.

ITTL the concept of Empire is very different then what we have IOTL. Vassal, allied, and and directly controlled territory that is all economically and politically (at least foreign policy wise) is the order of the day. I think B444 called the concept a Federal Empire.

The best analog to the concept is the British Dominions but there are other precedents IOTL such as the Chinese tributary system, Holy Rhoman Empire, Eastern Bloc, and the EU-NATO combination. ITTL there are more precedents with the Rhoman Despotates and the three tier Indian Vassal system. What we have in the Rhomans is quite similar where you have the heartland, the politically and economically integrated but autonomous vassal states, and the borderline independent but politically and economically subservient states in Wallachia and Georgia.

Femto

Banned
B444 has mentioned before that they probably won't.

ITTL the concept of Empire is very different then what we have IOTL. Vassal, allied, and and directly controlled territory that is all economically and politically (at least foreign policy wise) is the order of the day. I think B444 called the concept a Federal Empire.

The best analog to the concept is the British Dominions but there are other precedents IOTL such as the Chinese tributary system, Holy Rhoman Empire, Eastern Bloc, and the EU-NATO combination. ITTL there are more precedents with the Rhoman Despotates and the three tier Indian Vassal system. What we have in the Rhomans is quite similar where you have the heartland, the politically and economically integrated but autonomous vassal states, and the borderline independent but politically and economically subservient states in Wallachia and Georgia.
If they don't integrate they will become full independent in the future.

If they don't integrate they will become full independent in the future.
I'm not so sure, if the empire plays it's cards right it could keep them completely economically dependant on constantinople but without the hassle of having impose control on large non greek areas

Perhaps some of the despotes could break free when the Rhomans start to fall behind during the first industrial revolution but it wouldn't be too hard for the Rhomans to get them back once they get their act together during the second industrial revolution

Would it even be worth gaining independence? They could get the benefits of independence without any of the cons by remaining despotates with much looser oversight and control from Constantinople.

I'd think that they are more likely to demand renegotiation of the terms of the despotate's relationship with Romania than complete independence.

Femto

Banned
Would it even be worth gaining independence? They could get the benefits of independence without any of the cons by remaining despotates with much looser oversight and control from Constantinople.

I'd think that they are more likely to demand renegotiation of the terms of the despotate's relationship with Romania than complete independence.
They would probably end up as independent as Canada and Australia are from Britain. They may be closer geographically but they are different in culture and have a strong economy even now. Maybe an Egyptian Despot who is son-in-law to the Emperor usurping the imperial throne may be a good way to integrate the Empire and his most important Despotate. Northern Italy and Sicily may be securely kept as Despotates but the empire needs to be at least in full control of Egypt otherwise there's a great risk of facing a secession and be cut of from the Indian Ocean.

Even the Whole-Rome Emperors knew about the importance of keeping Egypt in tight leash, and this Rome is much more fragile. I see Egypt being the seat of the crown prince, at least nominally.

Last edited:
The rise of nationalism or nationalist-like movements.
Nationalism is a funny thing. Why would Egyptians, Sicilians, and Carthaginians see themselves as different from Heartlander Romans? Rhoman identity has never been ethnic, is barely religious anymore, and no longer geographic. Canadians and Austrialians saw themselves as British until well into the 20th century. Here in Canada at least we get told that the earliest inception of a Canadian Identity as a foundational moment was the Battle of Vimy Ridge in WWI, Aussies had Galipolli afaik. Both of us had WWII, but the Aussies were more impacted by it. Canadians didn't even request their constitution be housed in Ottawa until 1967.

In a world where federal decentralized empire is commonplace the separation of 'Canadian' and 'Australian' from 'British' is quite unlikely to occur, as it was very much a result of the decolonization of European empires after WWII. Geographically closer and more economically and politically integrated territory would be even less likely to develop such feelings so long as they continue to benefit from the arrangement.

They would probably end up as independent as Canada and Australia are from Britain. They may be closer geographically but they are different in culture and have a strong economy even now. Maybe an Egyptian Despot who is son-in-law to the Emperor usurping the imperial throne may be a good way to integrate the Empire and his most important Despotate. Northern Italy and Sicily may be securely kept as Despotates but the empire needs to be at least in full control of Egypt otherwise there's a great risk of facing a secession and be cut of from the Indian Ocean.

Even the Whole-Rome Emperors knew about the importance of keeping Egypt in tight leash, and this Rome is much more fragile. I see Egypt being the seat of the crown prince, at least nominally.
Maybe when Egypt inevitably fucks up again or connives with latin powers then that's the time Rome will think that some despotates are too dangerous to be left alone. Sicily is a different matter but Egypt after all is the gateway to the Rome eastern teritories, that's why I'm against having egypt being independent. Soft power alone won't help the empire if the Despotate thinks it can get away from pissing Rome off. Rome better start re-integrating egypt otherwise they'll face a heap of troubles if one day they can't support their far-east territories.

Femto

Banned
Maybe when Egypt inevitably fucks up again or connives with latin powers then that's the time Rome will think that some despotates are too dangerous to be left alone. Sicily is a different matter but Egypt after all is the gateway to the Rome eastern teritories, that's why I'm against having egypt being independent. Soft power alone won't help the empire if the Despotate thinks it can get away from pissing Rome off. Rome better start re-integrating egypt otherwise they'll face a heap of troubles if one day they can't support their far-east territories.
Absolutely. If the Empire don't fuck the Despotate of Egypt, the Despotate will fuck the Empire. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing in the long run, if a Despot grows really powerful and usurps the throne.

Absolutely. If the Empire don't fuck the Despotate of Egypt, the Despotate will fuck the Empire. Maybe this will turn out to be a good thing in the long run, if a Despot grows really powerful and usurps the throne.
I don't think the Despot would be able to usurp the throne though. I remember back then someone said that the rise of the sideros is basically the same as england's glorious revolution. So in short the emperor from Demetrios III up to 2020 are from the sideros dynasty

Femto

Banned
I don't think the Despot would be able to usurp the throne though. I remember back then someone said that the rise of the sideros is basically the same as england's glorious revolution. So in short the emperor from Demetrios III up to 2020 are from the sideros dynasty
Shit.

But I hope they will at least integrate Egypt a little further, otherwise It will be kinda dumb. This would realistically be the first priority of any sane emperor who gets the throne, more conquests are meaningless before solving this issue.

The way things are now both the Egyptians and the Ethiopians can unilaterally fuck up the Indian trade route if they go rogue, not a very comfortable situation.

Last edited:
Shit.

But I hope they will at least integrate Egypt a little further, otherwise It will be kinda dumb. This would realistically be the first priority of any sane emperor who gets the throne, more conquests are meaningless before solving this issue.

The way things are now both the Egyptians and the Ethiopians can unilaterally fuck up the Indian trade route if they go rogue, not a very comfortable situation.
I think the conquests up to this point have been for a stronger position to eventually reintegrate Egypt. It seems to me like a lot of emperors have laid the groundwork only for some war/rebellion to mess things up.