Status
Not open for further replies.
I find a neglect of long-range rocketry a little dubious, since guns get outlandishly large, immobile, and expensive (relative to rockets) as you increase their range, without being any more accurate or having any of the other advantages that they have over rocket artillery at short ranges. It’s not like rocket artillery never existed considering the lateness of the PoD, and considering the penchant of people to mess with the idea from time to time I can’t believe they haven’t tinkered with it further from time to time.

Now, without nuclear weapons long-range rockets aren’t very useful, but neither are long-range guns...

Congreve rockets made an appearance OTL not too long after the POD. Mayhaps the Seprateverse versions are more sucsessful and followed up on?

Weirdly enough, those jet fighters are probably pretty terrible compared to their OTL counterparts in the 50s and 60s. Without missiles, maneuverability is probably placed above speed and their weapon range is probably absolutely terrible with their continued use of guns and bombs. If the Separateverse keeps going down their current path they’re going to fall behind OTL, especially in airpower and long range engagements.
You're absolutely right, but I bet this timeline has some downright spectacular dogfights. Like, anime-awesome-level badassery; I'd love to see their version of Top Gun.

You just know those super-shells are filled with anthrax and V-X. Close only counts in horseshoes and indiscriminate WMD bombardment.
Only if you have WMDs that are worth a damn, i.e. nukes. Even then, long-range shells are so inaccurate and so limited in payload by the need to, you know, fire them out of a gun (this is a particular problem for very long-range shells since they have to be fired much faster and therefore endure higher pressures and accelerations) that you would hardly be able to do anything realistically.

For comparison, the Paris Gun’s shells only had 7 kg of explosive in a 106 kg shell. Even if you replaced that with anthrax or VX, it’s not exactly a war-winner, and it would be even worse for longer-ranged weapons.

Now, if you had more or less ordinarily sized tube artillery, yes, packing those shells full of chemical weapons would have some utility, but that’s mostly because you could saturate an area with shells, which you could also do with conventional warheads just as well or even easier.

Last edited:
I'm concerned we could see a more widespread use of kamikazes in a serious war given Drakian fanaticism. Their concern with their population numbers could quickly be sacrificed to ideological fervor if the Custodial Race is in danger of badly losing a war.

Certainly possible! Their whole system is geared to ensuring total loyalty among the Custodial Race, and they've almost certainly got their fair share of zealots.

I wonder if there's any dissent at the top? How popular can this whole "Kingdom of God" business be? I imagine that with many it's sort of an "in for a penny, in for a pound situation," in that there's no other way to keep the Drakians on top against the unwashed masses of Africa and Asia Minor.

Certainly possible! Their whole system is geared to ensuring total loyalty among the Custodial Race, and they've almost certainly got their fair share of zealots.

I wonder if there's any dissent at the top? How popular can this whole "Kingdom of God" business be? I imagine that with many it's sort of an "in for a penny, in for a pound situation," in that there's no other way to keep the Drakians on top against the unwashed masses of Africa and Asia Minor.
Given this is a more grounded scenario (rather than an evil empire wank) I imagine the ratio is skewed in favor of pragmatists over ideologues, at least this early in the Societist project. The ratio will tilt more heavily the longer the Agoges are operational though. As for zealotry, I was thinking about some sort of rallying cry that the Fascists could use as they become more prominent. While "Manifest Destiny!" would be a nice WMiT reference, it's replete with national chauvinism, so something more neutral like "Union and Liberty!" would be a decent choice. It's far more hopeful-sounding and inclusive than "Service to the State! Glory to the Race!", which is entirely the point.

I also suspect there would be cruise missiles in this universe. Just like rocket artillery, there was a strong penchant for experimenting with remotely-controlled suicide bomber aircraft (well, not really suicide bombers, because they weren't supposed to have crew on board when they blew up, but you get the idea) from the very early days of flight; as early as 1911 (so, less than a decade after planes were invented) there were people who realized that it could be interesting to have a plane that could be controlled remotely and filled with explosives to fly into a target, and started investing in actually making that sort of thing happen, to the point where they tried (unsuccessfully) to deploy them in World War I. It's just such an obvious thing to do that I feel it's pretty likely happening here, as well.

Now, maybe drachenfliegers are less susceptible to radio control than fixed-wing aircraft turned out to be, and maybe radio and aircraft didn't line up as well as IOTL, but by this point there ought to be a fair number of things that could be called "cruise missiles". Maybe some paths that were taken in the 1940s and 1950s IOTL would be less explored ITTL (basically anything where "well, nukes..." was a big justification for why you would use something so inaccurate), but there should be things like them around.

I also suspect there would be cruise missiles in this universe. Just like rocket artillery, there was a strong penchant for experimenting with remotely-controlled suicide bomber aircraft (well, not really suicide bombers, because they weren't supposed to have crew on board when they blew up, but you get the idea) from the very early days of flight; as early as 1911 (so, less than a decade after planes were invented) there were people who realized that it could be interesting to have a plane that could be controlled remotely and filled with explosives to fly into a target, and started investing in actually making that sort of thing happen, to the point where they tried (unsuccessfully) to deploy them in World War I. It's just such an obvious thing to do that I feel it's pretty likely happening here, as well.

Now, maybe drachenfliegers are less susceptible to radio control than fixed-wing aircraft turned out to be, and maybe radio and aircraft didn't line up as well as IOTL, but by this point there ought to be a fair number of things that could be called "cruise missiles". Maybe some paths that were taken in the 1940s and 1950s IOTL would be less explored ITTL (basically anything where "well, nukes..." was a big justification for why you would use something so inaccurate), but there should be things like them around.
Okay, here's an idea: going completely ham on jets as a result of the Air War, researchers around the world throw their energy into developing radio controlled suicide aircraft... and completely miss the OTL mark. Rather than filing down the wings to make cruise missiles, they end up with flying wings filled with fuel-air ordnance. Remote bombers? If nothing else it would give a great opportunity to use pictures of stealth bombers and say they're colorized from the forties or whatever.

Last edited:
Given this is a more grounded scenario (rather than an evil empire wank) I imagine the ratio is skewed in favor of pragmatists over ideologues, at least this early in the Societist project. The ratio will tilt more heavily the longer the Agoges are operational though.
Ooh, I bet we will see some cultural revolution type thing; As time goes by and the Drakian identity becomes solidified (assuming they get that far), pre-revolutionary nostalgia will likely become incredibly stigmatized by the government and scorned by the New Drakian Man. In a society as future oriented as this one, it can't be allowed.

Honestly I'm really fascinated by the tenets of Societism. A radical, fringe conservative ideology that is ultimately revolutionary in nature (in that the current order is flawed and must be evolved) is pretty interesting. Perhaps conservatism is the wrong moniker, but right wing certainly.

Either way EBR has done a great job of giving the Drakians some character that the Draka lacked beyond "LICK THE DAMNYANKEES HOO YAA BDSM AND GRADE SCHOOL NIHILISM!"

I think the descriptor you're looking for is reactionary rather than conservative. A Societist Cultural Revolution wouldn't be out of character, and given that the most openly anti-Societist elements are more straight conservative (and ironically much closer to Rex Thought, I'd imagine), the idea that the Drakian counterculture will be suits and ties conservatives is incredibly funny to me.

I think the descriptor you're looking for is reactionary rather than conservative. A Societist Cultural Revolution wouldn't be out of character, and given that the most openly anti-Societist elements are more straight conservative (and ironically much closer to Rex Thought, I'd imagine), the idea that the Drakian counterculture will be suits and ties conservatives is incredibly funny to me.
That's it, thank you! Couldn't remember the word.

That's it, thank you! Couldn't remember the word.
No worries! As for the inevitable Drakian sexual revolution (continuing the "conservatives-as-counterculture" thing), would it basically revolve around married monogamous couples railing against concubinage in the Dragon's Nests and the sexual exploitation of the bonded?

Wow, I've just been binging this timeline constantly for the past two days, and I'm so impressed by the level of thought put into it. I hadn't heard of the Draka series before, but "gigantic feudal South Africa" + "gigantic tolerant-ish U.S." is an interesting enough scenario on its own, without even getting into the various ideological and technological changes. I'm really excited to see where this goes! (And for what it's worth, a lot of people have been assuming the Americans will be the ones getting creamed by the end of the Pacific War, but it's interesting to consider the ramifications of the opposite outcome.)

Last edited:
Wow, I've just been binging this timeline for the past two days, and I'm so impressed by the level of thought put into it. I hadn't heard of the Draka series before, but "gigantic feudal South Africa" + "gigantic tolerant-ish U.S." is an interesting enough scenario on its own, without even getting into the various ideological and technological changes. I'm really excited to see where this goes! (And for what it's worth, a lot of people have been assuming the Americans will be the ones getting creamed by the end of the Pacific War, but it's interesting to consider the ramifications of the opposite outcome.)
I let it slide off my radar when it started, came for the deconstruction and stayed for the alternate ideologies and divergent techline.

Also I think "Great Patriotic War" is a fun Great War/World War alternative name, and I'm actually a little bummed it didn't catch on more widely OTL.

Me too! The reason it didn't IOTL, as far as I understand, is that the term "patriotic war" in certain historiography refers to a specific type of war that happens when a country is fighting a war on its own soil against a foreign invader. This happened for the Soviet Union, but not for America, Britain, or the British dominions, so the term never caught on in the west.

Something that just occurred to me: given that some technological developments TTL have turned society into blind alleys and that given the Air War everyone will be turning to fighter jets with gusto it would be interesting if ICBMs are really delayed TTL or even butterflied entirely, with an emphasis shifted to V3 cannons and orbital bombers. Hell, a space race revolving entirely around space planes just parking in orbit or trying to coast to the moon or whatever would be incredibly interesting.

The space race will indeed look very different in this TL.

Weirdly enough, those jet fighters are probably pretty terrible compared to their OTL counterparts in the 50s and 60s. Without missiles, maneuverability is probably placed above speed and their weapon range is probably absolutely terrible with their continued use of guns and bombs. If the Separateverse keeps going down their current path they’re going to fall behind OTL, especially in airpower and long range engagements.

You're absolutely right. :)

TTL's jet fighters don't have missiles, so they rely on autocannons instead.

I find a neglect of long-range rocketry a little dubious, since guns get outlandishly large, immobile, and expensive (relative to rockets) as you increase their range, without being any more accurate or having any of the other advantages that they have over rocket artillery at short ranges. It’s not like rocket artillery never existed considering the lateness of the PoD, and considering the penchant of people to mess with the idea from time to time I can’t believe they haven’t tinkered with it further from time to time.

Now, without nuclear weapons long-range rockets aren’t very useful, but neither are long-range guns...

Congreve rockets made an appearance OTL not too long after the POD. Mayhaps the Seprateverse versions are more sucsessful and followed up on?

Some perfectly valid criticism.

Congreve rockets did exist, and there were some 19th century experiments with early rocket artillery. But the Separate-verse's approach towards technological progress meant that national governments focused their attentions on artillery, which was a more tried and true technology, rather than risk wasting resources on rocketry. When they started to run into the limits of gun artillery as a technology, militaries invested in aircraft instead for bombing missions, choosing to focus on improving an already familiar weapon system.

It's not that the Separate-verse couldn't have developed long-range rocketry- people tinkered with rockets from time to time and small rockets exist- it's just that they didn't. Paths not taken and all of that. If asked experts in universe they'd tell you that long-range rocketry could possibly work as a valid weapons system, but no one has been willing to invest the time and money to develop it yet.

You're absolutely right, but I bet this timeline has some downright spectacular dogfights. Like, anime-awesome-level badassery; I'd love to see their version of Top Gun.

Oh you have no idea.:cool:

There are factions within the Drakian government, although there's a sense that loyalty to the nation needs to come first. The big divide is between the true-believing Societist ideologues, and the "yes, yes, glory to the race, now can we focus please?" pragmatists and Societist moderates. There are Drakian conservatives and reactionaries who don't like the "Kingdom of God business" and want to go backwards to a more traditional sort of government, but they're either not in the government or keep their views secret.

Given this is a more grounded scenario (rather than an evil empire wank) I imagine the ratio is skewed in favor of pragmatists over ideologues, at least this early in the Societist project. The ratio will tilt more heavily the longer the Agoges are operational though.

Quite so!

As for zealotry, I was thinking about some sort of rallying cry that the Fascists could use as they become more prominent. While "Manifest Destiny!" would be a nice WMiT reference, it's replete with national chauvinism, so something more neutral like "Union and Liberty!" would be a decent choice. It's far more hopeful-sounding and inclusive than "Service to the State! Glory to the Race!", which is entirely the point.

The chant of the American Fascist movement at their rallies is; "One Nation! One Law! One Union!"

It was distantly inspired by a very old French political slogan and expresses the Fascist belief in a single American identity regardless of race or religion, with equal treatment before the law for all, and a rejection of succession-ism (whether Southern, Mexican, Central American, or other) and Jim Crow*.

Honestly I'm really fascinated by the tenets of Societism. A radical, fringe conservative ideology that is ultimately revolutionary in nature (in that the current order is flawed and must be evolved) is pretty interesting. Perhaps conservatism is the wrong moniker, but right wing certainly.

Either way EBR has done a great job of giving the Drakians some character that the Draka lacked beyond "LICK THE DAMNYANKEES HOO YAA BDSM AND GRADE SCHOOL NIHILISM!"

Well thank you, that was a big part of my goal when I set out to write this TL.:)

As for your comment; there are some revolutionary elements to OTL Fascism, but they tend to get played down because when OTL Fascism takes power it immediately eliminates those elements. There's a bit of Dark Enlightenment ideas to my Societism ("We must overthrow the corrupt liberal order so as to go backwards.") and a bit of the Christian Patriot movement, but really I just like the idea of "revolutionary counter-revolutionism" as an actual ideology.:p

There are liberal and revolutionary dissident and anti-government elements in Drakia, but they're fairly small and largely restricted to the Bonded or a small segment among Honorary Whites- most counter-cultural types among the Citizens are classic conservatives and reactionaries.

Wow, I've just been binging this timeline constantly for the past two days, and I'm so impressed by the level of thought put into it. I hadn't heard of the Draka series before, but "gigantic feudal South Africa" + "gigantic tolerant-ish U.S." is an interesting enough scenario on its own, without even getting into the various ideological and technological changes. I'm really excited to see where this goes! (And for what it's worth, a lot of people have been assuming the Americans will be the ones getting creamed by the end of the Pacific War, but it's interesting to consider the ramifications of the opposite outcome.)

Thanks, it's always very nice to hear from someone who's liking my TL! And I'm very pleased to hear that my scenario can stand on its own, and not just as a deconstruction/reconstruction of someone else's AH.:)

So I have started on the next chapter, but I've just been really exhausted with RL lately and maybe a little depressed, and it's been hard to get up the energy to do anything when I get home from work other than crash. I'll try and get it done this weekend, I've got too many good plans for the future of this TL to let it go (look for the Scramble for Luna, the Cold War (which will not be called the "Protracted Struggle"🤮), the Situationist Movement, and the Last Act of Arthur Klein).

the Situationist Movement
IDEOLOGY.png

"revolutionary counter-revolutionism"
I love it.

So I have started on the next chapter, but I've just been really exhausted with RL lately and maybe a little depressed, and it's been hard to get up the energy to do anything when I get home from work other than crash. I'll try and get it done this weekend, I've got too many good plans for the future of this TL to let it go (look for the Scramble for Luna, the Cold War (which will not be called the "Protracted Struggle"🤮), the Situationist Movement, and the Last Act of Arthur Klein).
Of course, take your time! It's a super high quality timeline, and it takes a bit of time to produce more content, I'm fine with that. To fill the time, I shall indulge in an age old tradition: mostly baseless speculation.

Scramble for Luna
The ultimate goal of an alternate space race? I imagine we will see a lot more openness to space-based weaponry in this timeline, perhaps usher in the age of mutually assured destruction? I wonder if the Drakians could have a doomsday cult faction? The earth must scoured for our Final Society and all that..

the Cold War (which will not be called the "Protracted Struggle"🤮)
Aw, I always thought that was a decent name, if a bit academic sounding. Either way, I think it will play out quite a bit different from our world. If Japan is still around, it will be closer to tri-polar than ours, for a start. Europe could be the center of proxy wars, as could South America.

the Situationist Movement
Interesting name! A rapprochement movement in the US, perhaps with Japan as a united face against Drakia? A unification thing in Europe? Neat name, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.