An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Is arles going to be annexing any of northern Italy? I remember a few updates back some cities asked arles to take them over in order to not be destroyed by Rhomania

I'm curious about Japan, it has been more or less united now? Was that by the Christians? What about that bit in Hokkaido?
Japan was united by the christians but i believe they have a somewhat lose grip on the less christian areas in the north. Idk whats going on in Hokkaido tho

I probably forgot, but was it mentioned so far why are the Romans supporting Sikhs?
It may have started as a way to prop up a threat to the Ottoman's eastern border. TBH, it seems like another case of a foreign monarch taking personal a decision that was neither taken with them in mind or would have affected them if not for the actions of other actors (that are in general more directly responsible, such as the fact that the power vacuum that opened Agra to Sikh attack being the product of Ottoman policy).

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
To fish in troubled waters, I guess. But I agree with the Triunes entrenched in Bengal, this seems a step backwards.
Also probably because the Rhomans think the Sikhs will be more useful against the Ottomans who have a higher priority on Rhome's to-do list than a Triune viceroyalty.

A lot to unpack in the last couple updates.

1) It hasn’t been shown what but something happened in the 1460-1485 range that allowed the original dynasty of Vijayanagar to continue. So no battle of Talicota? In 1565 that permanently weakened the empire and set it on its path of terminal decline. It appears that Vijayanagar has more or less consolidated its territory and it; or a direct successor; will continue to dominate South India until the present day.

2)It is also clear that all of the Indian states are going to have some difficulties in the coming decades that will limit their ability to truly compete with European powers outside of India itself. They still rely on land grants for their armies which will cause problems and the cultural ideal that only mercenaries take pure cash will make it difficult to change. In addition administratively all the states more closely resemble the HRE rather than Rome with all the inefficiencies that entails.

3)We see perhaps a shift in Vijayanagar gaze away from island Asia towards North India with them content to merely give assistance to a European power in Island Asia.

4)I think the ultimate victor of the coming Spain/Rhome dust-up will be the one given the honour of allying Vijayanagar. For reasons I’ve previously outline this will almost certainly be Rhomania which will allow them to fully consolidate Island Asia.

5) Have any of the Indian States changed inheritance law? As I recall the inability to transfer wealth/power between generations to nearly the same extent as Europe contributed to their downfall since the wealthy elite commonly would spend their fortunes frivolously or give vast sums to temples starving the private sector of long term investment relative to Europe. It also meant that institutionally India fell far behind Europe as time went on. Essentially when your a 6th generation diplomat serving his majesty you learned more about diplomacy sitting on grandads knee than an Indian diplomat learned in a lifetime and this was true across multiple fields.

Apologies if this has been answered already but after the conquest of Lothringia will it be annexed by france or will it join as its own kingdom?

Additionally will the newly conquered land remain under the umbrella of the HRE or will it be fully independent from it?

Why would either of these questions have been answered?
Idk the Triunes have been eyeing Lothringia for a bit so i dont think its too wacky too assume that @Basileus444 may have mentioned how it will be incorporated into the Triunes. Also i have the worst memory in the world and often repeat questions like when i asked how the TTL carthaginians view the the old carthaginians twice lmao so i just wanted to cover my tracks is all

Idk the Triunes have been eyeing Lothringia for a bit so i dont think its too wacky too assume that @Basileus444 may have mentioned how it will be incorporated into the Triunes. Also i have the worst memory in the world and often repeat questions like when i asked how the TTL carthaginians view the the old carthaginians twice lmao so i just wanted to cover my tracks is all
The war hasn’t been decided yet so it is not know what their political status will be but I doubt it would be made an independent kingdom.
Either being added to the French Kingdom or becoming the personal lands of the monarch are the most likely outcomes if I had to speculate wildly; which I always enjoy doing.

Another thing that crossed my mind today; have the supposed ruins of Troy in otl Hisarlik been discovered? With better excavation techniques tll i imagine more artifacts would be preserved. What will the Rhomans think when they find out the Trojans were most likely greeks. Considering the roots they have in anatolia i can imagine they would embrace it. More specifically i wonder what Odysseus would think of it considering his namesake although it may be discovered long after his death.

Hello guys, I gotta ask I've been reading this timeline for 2 years now and I'm wondering why people are commenting on making a Despotate out of Rome's Far East Island Asian territories. From the way I see it, that only serves to weaken Rome and not strengthen it. Besides the last updates over the last year clearly stated that more people in those territories are becoming more Romanized. It would be the height of folly to make the entire region a Despotate or Despotates.

Too much usage of soft power can only do much in stabilizing and securing the prosperity and security of the empire. Despotates are a great area for espionage on Rome's strengths and weaknesses. What if these Despotates where to suddenly demand an independence on the empire? That would severely weaken Rome to the point that Italy (Northern Italy only not Sicily) and Egypt might have ideas. Egypt still hasn't been punished (Well they did but not the retribution they deserved), I do hope that Egypt will still be incorporated directly to the empire even though the last couple of updates were not.

Back to the topic of Island Asia, I believe that the people there would rather serve and be part of the empire rather than a simple "Despotate". I live here on Asia (Philippines) and I recall correctly that we would have been fine under Spain's rule if we were made into a province. The same can be said when America came we were fine as long as the state support and improve our lives. We want and believe in "strong men" and a "good bureaucracy". A Roman emperor has certainly the prestige and strong aura that people would want to believe in. The Roman bureaucracy has a strong meritocracy right? That should certainly keep idiotic, populist, oligarchic people from rising at all. Well even if they did, there would be undoubtedly a severe punishments that should be righteously given.

As for the rest of Rome's Island Asian territories I'm not too familiar with the culture, and attitude of the people. But sometimes according to people I met, who visit those lands say that our culture though different share some resemblance. Though sadly I'm not exactly sure what the resemblance is.

So my belief is that Rome's Island territories should not be made into a despotate and instead made into province/theme. This will allow Rome to stay in the nexus of the world and not fall into stagnation as one did suggest.

I definitely agree the kapitanate system has been just fine and barring strong resistance against Rhoman rule turning the possessions in the east into despotates would be a huge mistake. Although i dont really remember anybody saying anything about turning parts of Rhomania in the east into despotates other than speculating that if the Rhomans gain control over Otl New Zealand they could make it into a mauri despotate

Is arles going to be annexing any of northern Italy? I remember a few updates back some cities asked arles to take them over in order to not be destroyed by Rhomania
I don't think they will be able to, Roman/Sicilian forces are already in there. They haven't move in the Lombard plain simply because they don't want to spend gold/soldier in fighting the two Dukes. If Rome did move it will be when they are weakened severely that the Lombards will not be able to put any significant arms to fight them.

Arles can't move to northern Italy without the Triunes contriving its nobles, and the accord standing up to Rome. If they did move well..... they can kiss goodbye to their relationship with Rome and be prepared to be ****** in *** *** when the inevitable Triune attacks them. You can blame Spain for fucking it all up though. Though it's the best for Rome since it will allow them to dictate whatever is and will happen in Italy. The Accord can go up stick up their noses elsewhere, like for example making the Triunes suffer as much as possible. However they were all weak and got beaten up instead. Well time for western Europe to be in flames, for possibly a whole century.

I
I definitely agree the kapitanate system has been just fine and barring strong resistance against Rhoman rule turning the possessions in the east into despotates would be a huge mistake. Although i dont really remember anybody saying anything about turning parts of Rhomania in the east into despotates other than speculating that if the Rhomans gain control over Otl New Zealand they could make it into a mauri despotate
I think someone said it on around 220 to 250 of this discussion. And really a new zealand despotate? Rome should be focus on subduing the entire Island Asian with their benevolence and not waste it on some backwater area. (It isn't but its not the modern times yet)

I think the Triunes will eventually compromise on the Lotharingia issue by recognizing the independence of Lotharingia while taking the title of the Duke of Burgandy for themselves. Either that or ram their head against the Dutch forts until one side implodes from the strains of war.

On the topic of Italy what do you guys think is gonna end up happening? We already have the Genoese vassal. I can see Rome being under direct Imperial control seeing as its an important buffer for sicily although I can also see a deapotate of Lombardy(or whatever they decide to name it) being created. I think the Rhomans won't keep the north east just because it would be easy pickings for any latin barbarian. Perhaps a Sidori can be placed on the thrown in order to put it into the Rhoman sphere. Idk though im often wrong about these things but i just find it fun to speculate.

I

I think someone said it on around 220 to 250 of this discussion. And really a new zealand despotate? Rome should be focus on subduing the entire Island Asian with their benevolence and not waste it on some backwater area. (It isn't but its not the modern times yet)
I dont think its too out of the water tbh. Just send some Orthidox priests and have whoever is installed as ruler declare royalty Royalty to Rhome (perhaps a vassle would be a better fit now that i think about it). Perhaps they could just leave it alone but provided their domination of SEA I dont think its too improbable to see them go as far as NZ