Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Monitor

Donor
I am guessing you find it a cliche that you don't like? I definitely do not see the cycle of civilization in China as a weakness but rather how impressive and resilient that culture is. After all many great nations fell into dust and never rose up again. Rome included. China may fall but then it builds itself up again, even when done by foreign conquerors they never assimilate China, it is always the other way around. It seems to be almost a law of nature that states eventually fall, but if the culture propping them up is strong enough they will always come back. In this way China is maybe the most powerful civilization of all time. Persia is similar though that is a different story ;)

No, not necessarily. I think it is something thatis necessary to keep the empire somewhat existing in a true form. While China has a tendency to collapse regularl, they also have a tendency to reform afterwards. The Roman Empire not so much. Yes, they had their civil wars, but nothing permanen, or at least semi permanent as China had. It can be a strength, but, it does not need to be one... There is also the problem with bad rulers that is so endemic to China. Yes, everyone else also had bad rulers, but chinas way of reform always seems to be return to status quo, utopian variant. Still, China is the oldest semi continuous realm on earth, so that means they did something right...

Which ethnic groups invading from the North are precipitating this collapse? I know they are groups that were prevented from going West in this timeline and it'll be interesting to see the potential effects it may have on China.

Hecatee

Donor
China always splinters, that seems to be some sort of rule...
I am guessing you find it a cliche that you don't like? I definitely do not see the cycle of civilization in China as a weakness but rather how impressive and resilient that culture is. After all many great nations fell into dust and never rose up again. Rome included. China may fall but then it builds itself up again, even when done by foreign conquerors they never assimilate China, it is always the other way around. It seems to be almost a law of nature that states eventually fall, but if the culture propping them up is strong enough they will always come back. In this way China is maybe the most powerful civilization of all time. Persia is similar though that is a different story ;)

Yes, China will splinter in this TL too, although maybe not as often as OTL. Currently they don't have one of the big cement of empire (and notice I say empire, not civilization) which is fast communication. IRL Rome did not have it either, and it helped in a number of civil wars until its collapse.
Also I remember recently reading on this message board something along the line of "it's impressive how guys could keep their anger burning for months while they travelled toward their ennemies they had not seen for possibly years", but this too is going to change pretty soon in Rome with the arrival of a kind of railroad and better ability to sail on all seasons thanks to steamships. China has not this second advantage which Rome has already had for a few decades and has learned to use as shown by the latest war which has seen a level of coordination of forces on a level unheard of, with the ability to re-route legions to deal with unexpected threats such as the Armenian prong of the Parthian attack : the fact that the information took time to get out of Armenia was noted, but considered not enough of a delay by the Romans to justify extending their network into a foreign country for telegraphs could also signal roman progress in case Armenia ever became hostile...

Hecatee

Donor
Which ethnic groups invading from the North are precipitating this collapse? I know they are groups that were prevented from going West in this timeline and it'll be interesting to see the potential effects it may have on China.
I've gone for the Wuhuan, which in OTL were destroyed by Cao Cao. In this timeline Cao Cao did not have much to do on his northern border and operated in China itself, mostly using his administrative powers rather than military forces, although he did also use it when needed, but without much troubles as he was the duly appointed official set to the task by the legitimate and uncontested emperor.
This means that the Wuhuan, who lived on both side of the northern border, survive, get stronger in the half century that follows their OTL destruction, and end up revolting. Being so near to the capital they do manage to besiege it, and cause grievious harm to an empire which, while it survived longer (no 3 kingdoms period here) has still considerably weakened to the point it just collapses under its own weight.

Hecatee

Donor
Here comes the post I really wanted to publish yesterday but could not due to conflicting agenda (I've given my resignation at work because I could not support my boss anymore and did not want to get angry or bitter about the situation, but now I got to find a job before my last last day :) )

Hadrian’s villa, Tibur, April 249

Hecatee

Donor
Hadrian’s villa, Tibur, April 249

It was a great day for Titus Aelius Alauda. Heir to a freedman of the emperor Hadrian of gallic origin, he was born in a mildly successful equestrian family, his father a well known trader in eastern pearls from the erythrean sea. Being the third son, Titus had gone to the Academia Militaria Practica where he’d entered the path to become an engineer. Soon he’d discovered he was not made for the military discipline but that he was a talented engineer, developing a fascination with steam engines.

On this day he was about to show to the Emperor and his court his latest invention, one which had cost a lot of investment. Wooden beams sheeted in iron had been laid down in two parallel tracks from the imperial villa at Tibur all the way to the praetorian camp in Rome and on them had been put a machine of his invention : an automobile.

The contraption was constituted of a chariot on which was a advanced steam-engine of the so-called multi-tubular design, where water was heated by multiple tubes full of air heated by the furnace, so as to turn more quickly into steam which then worked pistons which moved the wheels of the vehicule.

Guided by the rail, the contraption could sustain the speed of a horse walking at a fast trot for far longer than a horse, only needing to be fed coal or another kind of fuel and have its water tank replenished. But more importantly it could tirelessly truck seven other carts behind it, which could be filed with either goods or persons.

Titus had first started with a small track in the gardens of the Academia, and shown the potential of the system : while he’d needed four iterations before getting to a successful result, he’d been able to truck carts overloaded with stones without any issue.

He had also had to find ways to bend the tracks to his needs and discovered the maximal angle such tracks could take in curves, as well as find the right kind of tracks. He would have prefered fully metallic tracks but that would have been too costly, beside being too complex for the metalworkers he had asked.

Instead sheets of iron had been bent around the top of the wooden cores, and the rails had been mounted of solid wooden transverses to make sure they did not move and loose the distance between them, which had to be kept given that the wheels were kept at a constant distance by the cart’s axle and could not get out of the rail…

Once he’d been confident of his success, Titus had shown his results to the emperor, who had been enthused and immediately ordered a first line to be built between Rome and his favourite retreat in the countryside, namely the old palace of the emperor Hadrian.

The rails had been laid next to the paved way linking the capital to the imperial ressort, on the cleared ground usually used by carts when dry. This had greatly facilitated the laying of the tracks, although in some places it had been necessary to go on the lands of some local owners due to the curve being too sharp for the tracks.

A trial run had been executed during the night before to bring the machine from Rome, a more difficult exercice given that the automobile had to go uphill, and had given no problem : none were expected for the return trip...

Now the time had come for the first trip of the machine with a hundred selected passengers including the emperor and his wife. Now had come the dawn of a new era…

The Industrial Revolution says Hi over a thousand years early! This is going to be interesting.

Hope you find a good job without too much fuss...

Hecatee

Donor
Phillip is still emperor he not. And if i can ask do we know who his declared hier is.
Marcus Iulius Philippus Augustus is indeed still the emperor (I only introduced him 4 ITTL years ago, please let me keep my toys ;) ), I have not thought of a successor yet, and while I might keep using OTL names by lazyness and for readers' familiarity, butterflies have flapped their wings too many time by now for any heir to be anything like an OTL character.

Marcus Iulius Philippus Augustus is indeed still the emperor (I only introduced him 4 ITTL years ago, please let me keep my toys ;) ), I have not thought of a successor yet, and while I might keep using OTL names by lazyness and for readers' familiarity, butterflies have flapped their wings too many time by now for any heir to be anything like an OTL character.
Haha wasnt looking for a new toy Phillipus is fine.... for now 😆 also ye the men who became emperor in otl by this point most of them will either never exist or if they do they may be a different version of their selves. Men such as Aurelian may never be born or if some fluke all the factors came together. He could be borne a totally different year or could have turned out as a madman begging on the streets of Rome

Auctually one more question. In otl we had the severan dynasty in which caracella issued the law giving almost everyone in the Empire citizenship. I believe this hasng happened here and the tria nomina is still safe or am i wrong?

Hecatee

Donor
Auctually one more question. In otl we had the severan dynasty in which caracella issued the law giving almost everyone in the Empire citizenship. I believe this hasng happened here and the tria nomina is still safe or am i wrong?
Yes you are correct, no edict of 212 here ! Laws on citizenship are still the same, but the much larger auxiliary units means a larger number of citizens, and in fact quite a few citizens now enroll in the auxiliaries instead of the legions, mainly because they see auxiliaries as somewhat more static than the legions in case of crisis (you can't take all of the defenses away, so you may move the legion but you'll only move part of its supporting auxiliary units ;) )

These early mechanizations should mean a reduction of maual labor needs, over time, as the devices (looms, engines, mining equipment, etc.) improve and expand their effect on society. So...less need for slaves? More value for the creative or talented slave? "Slave Schools" to train young slaves in marketable skills? More recruits for the legions instead of slavery for the criminal/poor classes and captured soldiers? Or forced colonization to the frontier or marginal lands to relieve population pressure?