Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
hwDb1C1.png

The Republic of the Platte

A scenario that I'm considering making a map series. Nothing is really fleshed out here, just that the USA and the CSA collapse during the ACW.
View attachment 517487
Here's the thing on
Reddit and DeviantArt
Please I need DeviantArt followers I only get 4 likes per map
The geography inking you did for this map is sharp and colorful. Great job on the latitude and longitude lines along with the border information.

Nice! Would you mind doing Argentina next?
Of course. I myself thought it was just Indian propaganda before I saw the article.

I've been considering making LOI maps again.

For Argentina it would be like:

Tier 1: Argentina's current territory.

Tier 2: Argentina's current territorial claims (South Atlantic islands, Argentine Antartica, those glaciers in Patagonia disputed with Chile)

Tier 3: Argentina's claims during its independent, post-civil war period (Tarija, part of the Paraguayan Chaco, part of the Brazilian Misiones, I think part of Chilean Patagonia too, there were a lot of them I'm not sure)

Tier 4: The former Viceroyalty of the Rio de La Plata: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia, AND Equatorial Guinea which was administered from Buenos Aires.

Tier 5: All the claims of the above countries.

Tier 6: The Viceroyalty of Peru, probably the proposed extent of the Inca Plan.

Tier 7: All of South America, as is implied on the independence declaration (United Provinces in South America)

Tier 8: States tangentially related to Argentina like the Vatican (Pope Francis) and the Netherlands (Queen Máxima). I'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find more.

Last edited:
For Argentina it would be like:

Tier 1: Argentina's current territory.

Tier 2: Argentina's current territorial claims (South Atlantic islands, Argentine Antartica, those glaciers in Patagonia disputed with Chile)

Tier 3: Argentina's claims during its independent, post-civil war period (Tarija, part of the Paraguayan Chaco, part of the Brazilian Misiones, I think part of Chilean Patagonia too, there were a lot of them I'm not sure)

Tier 4: The former Viceroyalty of the Rio de La Plata: Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia, AND Equatorial Guinea which was administered from Buenos Aires.

Tier 5: All the claims of the above countries.

Tier 6: The Viceroyalty of Peru, probably the proposed extent of the Inca Plan.

Tier 7: All of South America, as is implied on the independence declaration (United Provinces in South America)

Tier 8: States tangentially related to Argentina like the Vatican (Pope Francis) and the Netherlands (Queen Máxima). I'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find more.
This is my take on Tier 8: Since Argentina was the first colonial nation to declare independence from Spain (May 25, 1810), and Argentina prides itself on its European settler heritage and denies any African or native influence, the maximum extent of Argentine claims should include: the Viceroyalty of New Spain, the Louisiana territory, the disputed Nootka territory, the Spanish East Indies, Spanish Sahara, all of Morocco, and Spain itself.

A potential Tier 9: All of Western Europe (Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, San Marino, the Vatican, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Great Britain, and Ireland).

This is my take on Tier 8: Since Argentina was the first colonial nation to declare independence from Spain (May 25, 1810), and Argentina prides itself on its European settler heritage and denies any African or native influence, the maximum extent of Argentine claims should include: the Viceroyalty of New Spain, the Louisiana territory, the disputed Nootka territory, the Spanish East Indies, Spanish Sahara, all of Morocco, and Spain itself.

A potential Tier 9: All of Western Europe (Portugal, France, Monaco, Italy, San Marino, the Vatican, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Great Britain, and Ireland).

Uhhh, some Argentines still do think like that, and it was a common view in the Argentine elite of the XIX century, but saying Argentina would become a pan-European super-state is a bit too much, even in these wank maps. Current historical thought is revalorizing the role of natives and blacks in our history and culture, even if it's taking time to take root. Those "ARGENTINA IS WHITE!!!1!!!!" memes are just that, memes.

Most Argentines, and Latin Americans for that matter, want little to do with Spain anyways. Virtually NONE see themselves as a continuation of the Spanish Empire, and most people I know, even those of Spanish descent, would laugh at the notion. I think even Italy would be more appropiate in our case.

Last edited:
Uhhh, some Argentines still do think like that, and it was a common view in the Argentine elite of the XIX century, but saying Argentina would become a pan-European super-state is a bit too much, even in these wank maps. Current historical thought is revalorizing the role of natives and blacks in our history and culture, even if it's taking time to take root. Those "ARGENTINA IS WHITE!!!1!!!!" memes are just that, memes.

Most Argentines, and Latin Americans for that matter, want little to do with Spain anyways. Virtually NONE see themselves as a continuation of the Spanish Empire, and most people I know, even those of Spanish descent, would laugh at the notion. I think even Italy would be more appropiate in our case.
Same in USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand - no one thinks they are British, or successors to the British Empire. But thinking that the Netherlands and the Vatican City, both of which are in Europe, should be part of Argentina, still seems farfetched, if you're saying that many Latinos don't want anything to do with Europe.

Maybe, but the French virtually abandoned Mexico to an Austrian Archduke, so it could just as easily go on an Austrian or even Habsburg Family LOI
To my understanding, France was intending on exerting influence in Mexico once the Habsburg was in power, so in my opinion it should be added to the map.

Some of these irredenta are like Germany claiming the US SW on the basis of the German scientists who ended up there after WWII. :p
If I can’t claim an island because a particle from one of my ancestors’ sneezes must have landed on it by now, then why even bother needing a casus belli at all?
it looks good for a world set in the year 1800.
No.
it looks good for a world
No.
it looks good
No.
Oh dear, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.