A Loyal City on the Hill - The Commonwealth Wank

VT45

Banned
Great suggestions! I'll get one of those out soon. In the meantime, a little sneak peak for you...
9qqaNSC.png

VT45

Banned
India is a bit confusing to me. What is the war in the south exactly?

So just a quick explanation to tide you over before I can get a map out: when the British left India in the mid-20th century, they divided it along linguistic/cultural lines rather than religious ones. So the Bombay and Bengal presidencies were merged into the modern state of India, while the Madras presidency and Ceylon were merged into Dravidia. They happened to overlook the ethnic tensions that would erupt in southern India and so while Dravidia was able to just about to keep it together through the rest of the 20th century, in 2006 it erupted into civil war. Several of the old princely states, most notably Hyderabad, have seceded, and other regions have since petitioned India for annexation. This has obviously caused a massive refugee crisis on the subcontinent and tens of millions have been displaced.

Federal ridings of Columbia, 2011-2021

VT45

Banned
I don't know why I decided to do the entire election before posting, so I switched tack in order to show you a blank map of all the federal ridings of Columbia. I'll be including an inset for the area around New York City, but are there any others that you think we need?
xgjFBSy.png

I don't know why I decided to do the entire election before posting, so I switched tack in order to show you a blank map of all the federal ridings of Columbia. I'll be including an inset for the area around New York City, but are there any others that you think we need?
Chicagoland would probably be useful too; enlarged, a few of the ridings are just too small to make out perfectly.

Philadelphia would be helpful, too

How many ridings are there in Columbia anyway? I'm too lazy to count them all haha

Federal ridings of Columbia, 2011-2021 (with insets added for major cities)

VT45

Banned
Finished with the insets. The next major post will be the election results. In the meantime feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
9DcpHz0.png

VT45

Banned
Still working through the election right now. Seven provinces out of ten done, but in the meantime here’s a graphic explaining the evolution of the Union Jack:
7410B12D-FA0B-419B-8216-EB58C365E7C0.jpeg

Love those flags!
I suppose they're anaesthetic enough to be realistic. Though I do wonder if they wouldn't just have added the Netherlands in as an escutcheon or similar then created a completely new Grand Imperial flag from scratch on Hannover's entry before devolving the entire unwieldy parliament into a federal system and thus adding in separate flags for the constituents.

VT45

Banned
what happened to britain so bad that multiple countries left?

A variety of factors. Ireland left for similar reasons to OTL, and then Hanover and the Netherlands left due to bearing the brunt of two world wars fighting for freedom and democracy, despite having their unique cultures stamped under the English boot heel (as they’re wont to do). They were the first to be given devolved parliaments, which then quickly voted for independence.

Columbian General Election - 16 June 2015

VT45

Banned
At long last I have finished the Columbian general election, and here are the results.

In one of the most contentious elections in Columbian history, the electorate was split almost perfectly evenly between four political parties, leading to a hung parliament. The Liberal Alliance, led by Andrew Cuomo, won the most seats and was the only party to win more than 200 seats. However, unable to form a government, they were forced to allow the Liberal-Conservatives to lead a coalition government with the Columbian National People's Party. This led to John Kasich becoming prime minister, with Chris Christie becoming deputy prime minister. Labour-Welfare, on the other hand, saw their worst performance in nearly a century, despite garnering nearly 10 million votes. This has, since the election, led to a massive call for voting reform and a switch away from first past the post. Kasich has promised that it will be put to referendum before the next election, but with the expiration date on his government looming, there has not yet been any sign of such a referendum.

Results:
Liberal Alliance (lead by Andrew Cuomo):
12,335,664 votes (27.3%, 208 seats)
Liberal-Conservatives (lead by John Kasich): 9,947,375 votes (21.0%, 175 seats)
Columbian National People's Party (lead by Chris Christie): 10,757,654 votes (23.8%, 156 seats)
Labour-Welfare (lead by Paul Tonko): 9,883,028 votes (21.9%, 29 seats)
Green Party of Columbia (lead by Jill Stein): 712,289 votes (1.6%, 0 seats)
Independents and other parties: 1,946,500 votes (4.3%, 0 seats)

Voter turnout: 65.4%

Riding map:
B9qhRol.png

Popular vote chart:
L0hGbWg.png

Parliament standings:
3Z6ofSc.png

Labour-Welfare must have some insanely gaudy majority margins to hit 22% nationwide and only hit 29 seats, including beating the party that's leading government. Are they close-run in a lot of seats (ie, are they like the primary opposition in NYC?), or is there something else at work here?