Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually kinda dig the idea of the 50 stars being replaced by a striking number 50. It feels very alien and disconcerting. I can imagine this as one of those signs of "oops, I'm not really back home..." moments of time travel novels.

I actually kinda dig the idea of the 50 stars being replaced by a striking number 50. It feels very alien and disconcerting. I can imagine this as one of those signs of "oops, I'm not really back home..." moments of time travel novels.

"too late did he realise his time travelling had changed things in the present...... "

alt-usa15.png

Don't count individually, you'll go crazy. Instead, count the number of rows and columns:

(5 rows × 6 columns) + (4 rows × 5 columns) = 30 stars + 20 stars = 50 stars

I only noticed the stripes because the canton with the stars look a lot bigger than usual.
If anyone wants to know, the basic formula for this rectangle within a rectangle arrangement is 2xy -x -y +1 where x is the number of rows and y the columns.

well spotted.

I expected the first reply to be someone stating "but it *has* 50 stars !"

My kind of althistory novel would have your flag, and the main character not notice the 15 stripes until he sees that the State of the Union Adress is going to be given by President Ossama Bin Laden, famous reality TV host and real estate developer turned populist politician.

Just an idea for an Australian version of the US "thin red line" flag in support of fire brigade personnel. The stars and canton were resized and moved so the red line didn't look like it was simply superimposed on the Australian flag.

au-thin-red-line.png

My kind of althistory novel would have your flag, and the main character not notice the 15 stripes until he sees that the State of the Union Adress is going to be given by President Ossama Bin Laden, famous reality TV host and real estate developer turned populist politician.

I had this vague idea for a novel whereby someone wakes up in a different timeline but does not realise it right away. One obscure clue given early on (remember I'm australian) was that on the news, it was announced that the Governor of the State of New England was travelling from the US to sign some commercial treaty with the New South Wales Premier.

Roman numerals would also work pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.