Les Années Douces, a very different XXth century

If you pretend you know what the next one is without spending half an hour guessing you're lying (or you've parasited my brain by creating a lo-fi soundcloud account and coding the music to hack my brain or something).

Also, I have a few ideas for the world map, would you guys rather have it to build the hipe and have stuff to theorize or not have it to preserve the suspense (or have an in between where I post stuff continent by continent as I did with Africa)

Last edited:
Sounds like Japan has a new younger Emperor come to power who either started some sort of Cultural Revolution or started removing Ministers and people who were part of the old government.

If you pretend you know what the next one is without spending half an hour guessing you're lying (or you've parasited my brain by creating a lo-fi soundcloud account and coding the music to hack my brain or something).

Also, I have a few ideas for the world map, would you guys rather have it to build the hipe and have stuff to theorize or not have it to preserve the suspense (or have an in between where I post stuff continent by continent as I did with Africa)

I would suggest a little of both French affairs and world affairs. Make an update about the French commonwealth, then of another country or element of this universe, then back to France in an alternating fashion. A world map would be awesome, but you don't have to rush it.

For France, besides knowing all the member states, I'm very interested in learning about how such different cultures interact with each other within the union. You could easily have an entire entry made for Paris or Hanoi because I can imagine them being very cosmopolitanism in this universe due to the Chancellerie. It's interesting to imagine cultural intermingling like new hybrid cuisine and immigration waves. As an example, I can see France outsourcing a lot of cheap labor to their African and Indochinese partners and cutting China out of the equation. Since the Chancellerie exists, I could see France focusing heavily on that market and trying to build up as much economic autarchy as possible.

As for the rest of the world, I have many questions. Number one, the British. It's funny imagining the British and French continuing their ancient rivalry into the 20th century. How would the two commonwealth's compete or corroborate with each other? Do they team up to have enough collective strength to stand up to the United States and the Soviet Union? (Assuming it exists)

Would Portugal be inspired and create their own lusosphere union like the French? Does Spain reach out to Latin America? What's going on with Japan and how does their empire fare? Is China united or going through a warlord era? I have so many questions!

Last edited:
XI : Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
F7GaNet.png

As per suggestion from Bonheadedbookkeeper, next week's post will be about another part of the world (and will answer one of his questions) ^^

XII : United-Kingdom of Great Britain
Hi, this is my first post out of the Chancellerie (aka out of my comfort zone), tell me what you think about it, I take all feedback (even harsh feedback, if need be).
My college admission written exams are in one month, so I'll try to keep my updating schedule but I can't guarantee a post per week during the next month, I'll see how I manage my work and my creations, and tell you how it is going to work probably around Wednesday.

1579546304349.png

Last edited:
awesome update

Eh eh British Cultural influence will inevitably falter before the influence of the chancellerie...

Big RIP for turkey if Constantinople is an international zone, hopefully Greece doesn’t have Anatolian territories

It seems that the warlord era is still ongoing? I’m not sure, that Xi’an declaration ishilarious, it’s to incorporate Hainan/Leizhou in indo China right? What’s the status of kouang Tcheou wa? Is it french or part of the Leizhou republic?

Last edited:
awesome update
Eh eh British Cultural influence will inevitably falter before the influence of the chancellerie...
What can I say ? Tea is out, bubbly juice is in! (promised, I'll explain this in a future post)

Big RIP for turkey if Constantinople is an international zone, hopefully Greece doesn’t have Anatolian territories
Oh dear, you have no idea, it's at least as terrible as Sèvres

It seems that the warlord era is still ongoing? I’m not sure, that Xi’an declaration ishilarious
It's ... kinda still going? Because China is in many small bits, but these bits aren't actually much interested in conquering neighbouring bits (like, of course conquering your neighbours is fun, it's still the 40s, but there's no governement with an actual territorial basis claiming "I'm the ruler of all China, these are just very well equiped bandits with fancy hats"). The last governments who claimed to be China renounced to their title, including the last Qing Emperor, in said Xi'an Declaration.

It seems that the warlord era is still ongoing? I’m not sure, that Xi’an declaration ishilarious, it’s to incorporate Hainan/Leizhou in indo China right? What’s the status of kouang Tcheou wa? Is it french or part of the Leizhou republic?

Hainan and the Kouang Tcheou Wan are part of the Republic of Hainan that used to be the French-sponsored KMT (calling itself Zhanjiang government). With the proclamation of the Chancellerie and the fall of the colonial supporters in France, the French diplomacy changed to support the status quo (but still helps Hainan). It's an unofficial protectorate of sorts.

The French have supported the Xi'an agreement as they knew Hainan couldn't win, and also seemed genuinely concerned that China would be a complete war zone for decades if a state kept claiming hegemony.

Britain is annoyed by this resolution because she's afraid that tensions may rise again and destabilise India or Shanghai, but accepts it for now as they have other things to do.

Ok, so I'm putting my detective hat on to try to gleam facts that's not openly stated in he entry.

One, I'm getting the hint that Britain is enjoying a imperial federation relationship with her dominions. That's the only way I can see the UK being viewed as a superpower in this universe.

Two, the USA appears to be a weaker and more authoritarian power this this world. I'm guessing the revolutionary war went differently here?

Three, Australasia. I'm getting flashbacks from Kaiserreich lol.

Four, China is not sticking together in this verse. I suppose there are good and bad things about that fact. It definitely makes the rest of Asia sleep easier at night.

Ok, so I'm putting my detective hat on to try to gleam facts that's not openly stated in he entry.

One, I'm getting the hint that Britain is enjoying a imperial federation relationship with her dominions. That's the only way I can see the UK being viewed as a superpower in this universe.

Two, the USA appears to be a weaker and more authoritarian power this this world. I'm guessing the revolutionary war went differently here?

Three, Australasia. I'm getting flashbacks from Kaiserreich lol.

Four, China is not sticking together in this verse. I suppose there are good and bad things about that fact. It definitely makes the rest of Asia sleep easier at night.

So :

Yes, the United Kingdom of Great Britain is at the head of the British Empire (and still has a decent amount of direct colonies) but many states are now under the "Windsor System" (which will be detailed in a future post)

Yes and no. The US are weaker (think 1900s US but there has been a financial meltdown) but it is not linked to the Revolution directly, no PoD goes that far in this TL. The federal government has a set of emergency powers that are now in effect and would probably be seen as infuriating in OTL 40s US.

Not really ... I meant Australasia as a regional expression (like Far East for instance) : the United Kingdom of Australia and New Guinea and the Kingdom of New Zealand are two separate countries, even though they share deeper bonds than with any other state within the Empire. There's an Australasian Army and Navy for instance.

Yes, it does. Korea is extremely enthusiastic at the idea of not dying again in the foreseeable future.

(Booooom loreception omygaaad)

So :

Yes, the United Kingdom of Great Britain is at the head of the British Empire (and still has a decent amount of direct colonies) but many states are now under the "Windsor System" (which will be detailed in a future post)

Not really ... I meant Australasia as a regional expression (like Far East for instance) : the United Kingdom of Australia and New Guinea and the Kingdom of New Zealand are two separate countries, even though they share deeper bonds than with any other state within the Empire. There's an Australasian Army and Navy for instance.

Windsor System... Kingdoms in Oceania...

They put cadet monarchies across the empire, didn't they?

Windsor System... Kingdoms in Oceania...

They put cadet monarchies across the empire, didn't they?

I didn't catch that, but now it seems obvious. Now we know how the empire stays together into the 21st century. Still, while cadet families would probably be used, I like the idea that all the monarchs come from the same core family - If one of the nations were to secede from the empire, it would make royal family reunions really awkward to say the least.

Hello dear readers ! I have some good and some bad news. Good news is I'm more productive than the usual, meaning this week's post is on the way. The bad news is it is just on the way. I wished to be done with all the posts by the end of the week and be able to work on my college exams (mostly French political history and modern philosophy) but it is obviously a very hard task for me. There will be an update this week end. However, I can not sustain study efficiency and be present on this site, which is why I am going to go fish by the end of the weekend.

Which is why I have two announcements to make. First, I will give all the finished posts I can get done to a friend on this website, who I hope will accept to post the articles for this month.

Second, I have one cultural movement trivia and one French-related governement for now. I will see what I can do, but it is unlikely that more can be achieved. There will, in consequence, be two missing posts. Sorry for the inconvenience

Hello dear readers ! I have some good and some bad news. Good news is I'm more productive than the usual, meaning this week's post is on the way. The bad news is it is just on the way. I wished to be done with all the posts by the end of the week and be able to work on my college exams (mostly French political history and modern philosophy) but it is obviously a very hard task for me. There will be an update this week end. However, I can not sustain study efficiency and be present on this site, which is why I am going to go fish by the end of the weekend.

Which is why I have two announcements to make. First, I will give all the finished posts I can get done to a friend on this website, who I hope will accept to post the articles for this month.

Second, I have one cultural movement trivia and one French-related governement for now. I will see what I can do, but it is unlikely that more can be achieved. There will, in consequence, be two missing posts. Sorry for the inconvenience

Good Luck!

Obviously your education is more important than AH.com, there's no need to apologize. We're here to read your TL when you decide to/are able to post it, not to put pressure on you to post every week.