The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

So Mussolini dies, and yet his empire lives on for a while longer.

But at the same time, Mussolini's death means that its all downhill from here. At least Germany and Hungary gets back/keeps its monarchy though so...*shrugs*

@Herr Frage Your Asia predictions: What about Mongolia?

Sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't included that one until later.

As we know little on its internal workings in the Pact details are hard to guess. For the very broad-strokes my guess is that the RoC will invade with local allies inviting them in; I'm assuming its a slave state which won't hold up well politically or militarily once the USSR starts to malfunction. The communist dictatorship is replaced with a right wing dictatorship anchoring Mongolia as a puppet state of the RoC. Chiang would want it to both make up for Tibet and East Turkestan 'getting away' and as a buffer against whatever is going on in the north. It may take some doing for him to not annex it directly, but he can probably be persuaded its more useful as an ally/vassal to be used as proof of China's resurgence.

After that its fate is likely tied to how the RoC goes. If it democratizes, Mongolia likely gets its freedom with democracy supported by Beijing sooner or later; if not the best it can hope for is to break free by playing its neighbors against each other in the near future and it will be a slog for democracy.

Last edited:
I’ll miss ya Mussolini, you were the greatest dictator of all. I wonder how Italian aviation technology will advance? Perhaps the Italians will make an ITTL version of the Mil Mi-24 Hind Attack Helicopter?

So ends Italy's Il Duce.

Mussolini TTL was a villain in a world full of heroes and monsters alike; no doubt wicked, yet with a humanity that distinguishes him from those who dared take steps even he would not.

So ends Italy's Il Duce.

Mussolini TTL was a villain in a world full of heroes and monsters alike; no doubt wicked, yet with a humanity that distinguishes him from those who dared take steps even he would not.

The fact that he could be considered a "hero" says more about the world around him than it does about anything good he did.

It just shows how awful Stalinism and Nazism that Mussolini, the arrogant conqueror, could be considered an ally.

At best, Mussolini might be seen as an Italian Napoleon: a militarist strongman who caused both misery and joy in what he thought was a noble cause.

I’ll miss ya Mussolini, you were the greatest dictator of all. I wonder how Italian aviation technology will advance? Perhaps the Italians will make an ITTL version of the Mil Mi-24 Hind Attack Helicopter?

I dunno...I really like the look of the Mangusta...I just dunno if it could be made a decade earlier though...

So Mussolini dies, and yet his empire lives on for a while longer.

But at the same time, Mussolini's death means that its all downhill from here. At least Germany and Hungary gets back/keeps its monarchy though so...*shrugs*

Seems like his empire will survive him by about twenty years maybe a bit more, not so bad for a non monarchy autocrat's legacy. And we will have to see what the shape of Italy will be after the One Party State ends.

Dolan

Banned
To the Greatest Dictator ITTL, Caesar of Italy...

%E5%8F%B6%E6%81%AD%E5%AD%90%EF%BC%96-1024x576.jpg

I mean Mussolini is going to Hell. Sure his place will be nicer than the ones reserved for Stalin, Aflaq and Hitler, but i seriously doubt he has any chance of going to Heaven.

Also i wonder why neither the ethiopian nor the greek royal families were invited to his funeral. Such a mistery.

To the Greatest Dictator ITTL, Caesar of Italy...

%E5%8F%B6%E6%81%AD%E5%AD%90%EF%BC%96-1024x576.jpg

Huh. The image of Bruno you used reminded me that Vento Aureo as we know it is butterflied (unless Passione flees from Italy and sets up shop in NYC, becoming one of the Five Families or perhaps even the Six Families in TTL's version of Part 5).

Speaking of TTL media Aladdin has most definetly been butterflied away as well.

Dolan

Banned
I mean Mussolini is going to Hell. Sure his place will be nicer than the ones reserved for Stalin, Aflaq and Hitler, but i seriously doubt he has any chance of going to Heaven.

Also i wonder why neither the ethiopian nor the greek royal families were invited to his funeral. Such a mistery.
nah, I think he'll get reincarnated into some middle-class Ethiopian for both ironic and poetic purposes.