Section Eight-Eight - 1576
“Empress Margaret, wife of Holy Roman Emperor Arthur Hapsburg, viewed herself as her brother’s rightful heir what with his only legitimate son dying and his only legitimate daughter being dead. So, when King James VI declares his, in her mind, bastard son his heir, she blows her top. This combined with the slight her husband’s been stewing over [1] the Holy Roman Emperor and Empress declare that they are the rightful rulers of England, Scotland and Ireland.

This causes Queen Helene of France, an eminently practical woman when she isn’t pulling Marie Stuart’s pigtails [2], to look sideways at her brother. Helene has long since decided England was more trouble than it is worth and has suggested multiple times to her brother that perhaps the claim to England could be settled by claiming a few of those Gloriana Colonies that have been making so much money for England.

Now, instead of snagging a couple of those money makers, Emperor Arthur is claiming the whole of the British Isles. Which in Helene’s mind is a backward heretical land, and not worth it.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”​

[1] The slight in question is Queen Kathryn Tudor choosing someone other than his son as her daughter’s groom.
[2] A good fraction of Psychology Historians believe the conflict between Queen Helene and Queen Marie derives from a tendre they had for each other.

“The official declaration of Emperor Arthur and Empress Margaret’s claim to the whole of the British Isles would be issued early in 1576. The fact that claims came from sidestepping closer claimants was neatly ignored. It is actually quite an impressive document describing the duty a ruler has to his subjects and has been continually sited as one of the more impressive ethical and philosophical treatises of its time.”
Oliver Gotham, “Arthur and the Throne of England, Scotland, and Ireland”​

Remind me, what is Arthur's claim to England?

Arthur is the eldest living son of Princess Mary Tudor who is the second daughter of King Arthur I and Queen Catherine. Queen Catherine claimed that King Arthur was survived by his only son, Prince John of Wales long enough for Prince John to designate his sister Princess Mary Tudor/Empress Maria as heir due to her religion.

Section Eight-Nine - 1576
AN - So, things were a little crazy for a while, but I hope to be back for something of a regular schedule so I can wrap this up. We're in the homestretch guys.

“We don’t know what Margaret of Wales thought of the uproar surrounding her future wedding. She was not close to any of her ladies and her journals didn’t survive. Many Psychology-Historians have tried to analyze the portion of Camelot that was written during this time, but results have been inconclusive. [1]

We do know that there was an increase of tree climbing (which, it must be said, is extremely impressive considering the dresses teenaged Margaret of Wales wore), make of that what you will.”
Professor Laura Anderson, “The Stewart Queen”​

[1] The fact that both historians and psychologists find, psychology-historian’s findings suspect at best and nonsensical at worst, doesn’t dissuade the psychology-historians from trying.

“With war brewing on the horizon, Queen Kathryn wished to settle once and for all the issue of her only daughter and heir’s marriage. Shortly after The Monarch’s Duties[1], late in July of the year fifteen seventy-six, Princess Margaret of Wales would wed Lord Edmund Tudor. Then the two would be sent North away from where the fighting would be.

We still have no conclusive evidence regarding how Margaret of Wales viewed her husband. They never publicly quarreled, an impressive feat, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they never quarreled. They were rarely parted, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t wish to part.

And so with the dearth of any real substantiation the psychology-historians have continued to run wild with theories.”
Doctor Veronica Westerwood, “The War for a United Island”​

[1] The Monarch's Duties is the title of Emperor Arthur's published claim to England, Scotland, and Ireland.

“The first draft of The Engagement of Lyonesse is believed to have been written shortly after the marriage of Margaret of Wales, showing that art imitates life. In it the titular Lyonesse [1] has been banished from Camelot by the dreadful Morgause [2] and after a series of adventures finds true love in Sir Gareth, the youngest nephew of King Arthur. [3]

The significance of this writing has long been argued. Due to the few minor parts the character of Lyonesse plays, only a minority of psychology-historians believe Lyonesse to be based on Margaret of Wales herself. Many argue that if Margaret of Wales constructed the character of Lyonesse referencing herself, the character would play a more significant part in the narrative.

But, it is the smallness of Lyonesse’s part that shows great insights into Margaret of Wales state of mind. Even in the section named for the character Lyonesse, Lyonesse is a background character. This shows us that Margaret of Wales felt as if she was a background character in her own story.”
Doctor of History of Psychology, Mathias Kent, “Camelot and the Mind of Margaret of Wales”​

[1] The character Lyonesse in Camelot appears to be a combination of the Lady of the Lake, and the sisters Lynette and Lyonesse from the original Arthurian legends.
[2] Many of the characters of Camelot appear to be based upon the members of the Tudor family, Morgause appears to have been based on Catherine of Aragon.
[3] King Arthur of Camelot appears to have been based on Arthur Tudor and Prince Henry in combination.

Last edited:
Section Ninety
"When asked the best ballet of all time most people will answer Swan Lake or possible La Sylphide. But making a comeback is Alcott Penley Byrne's masterpiece, Camelot.

Based on the epic by Queen Margaret of England, Byrne's masterpiece was written in 1880s. After an initial splash at it's inaugural performance in 1885, the ballet faded into obscurity. But, starting with the Calais Theatre Ballet's anniversary production of Camelot in 1985 the ballet has made a strong resurgence."

My Post copy 2.png

- flyer for the first performance of Camelot by the London Ballet Company

My Post copy 3.png

- flyer for Glorianna's premier Ballet company's performance of Camelot

“To say Europe was surprised would be understating it. Prince Henry was from a very devote family, his sister Queen Maria of Portugal was especially known for her devotion, and here he was speaking out against the common belief that the bible should remain in latin. The modern equivalent would be if President-Elect Trump announced that he was actually a Democrat and planning on banning guns.”
Matheo Henrikson, “The 1500’s Was A Crazy Century, and It Was Mostly the Tudors’ Fault”​
my only problem with this is the reference to Trump, while its possible for the TL to have a political figure similar to him, a point of divergence so far in the past not only would make the US existing kind’a hard, Trump existing just like he is in OTL or existing at all is even harder

I’m placing my bets that the reason of the “Last Dynasties” is because England and Scotland-Ireland united into a single nation(this theory is mostly because we still have duchies in the TLs modern era)

my only problem with this is the reference to Trump, while its possible for the TL to have a political figure similar to him, a point of divergence so far in the past not only would make the US existing kind’a hard, Trump existing just like he is in OTL or existing at all is even harder

This time line is acting under a pretty weird butterfly net. I don’t have the time to create the characters that are the counterparts to the OTL people I’ve mentioned (actors and politicians). But I like casting actors as characters and there are a couple other modern references that I feel add a texture to the timeline, so I use real people.

If it makes you feel better you can think he’s and entirely diffent person with the same name and general politics.

Last edited:
I’m placing my bets that the reason of the “Last Dynasties” is because England and Scotland-Ireland united into a single nation(this theory is mostly because we still have duchies in the TLs modern era)

Good catch and good guess :) but I will neither confirm or deny.

This time line is acting under a pretty weird butterfly net. I don’t have the time to create the characters that are the counterparts to the OTL people I’ve mentioned (actors and politicians). But I like casting actors as characters and there are a couple other modern references that I feel add a texture to the timeline, so I use real people.

If it makes you feel heterosexual you can think he’s and entirely diffent person with the same name and general politics.
I get that trying to think about how is the future of your TL is kind of hard, the President Elect bit rubbed me the wrong way because it would be simpler to say “the politician Donald Trump”, it shows that he somehow still exists, but leaves the other details without answer (for all we know “politician! Trump” could live in a city state called New Amsterdam)

I didn’t get the heterosexual, autocorrect maybe?

I get that trying to think about how is the future of your TL is kind of hard, the President Elect bit rubbed me the wrong way because it would be simpler to say “the politician Donald Trump”, it shows that he somehow still exists, but leaves the other details without answer (for all we know “politician! Trump” could live in a city state called New Amsterdam)

I didn’t get the heterosexual, autocorrect maybe?

Yes, I meant better, I'm not sure how that happened. This is what I get for late nights.

Fair point about politician trump, though what he's President Elect off and what exactly that means may be different than OTL.

Yes, I meant better, I'm not sure how that happened. This is what I get for late nights.

Fair point about politician trump, though what he's President Elect off and what exactly that means may be different than OTL.
Good point you make

For what it's worth, the President Trump thing didn't really bother me much given it's just a throwaway line to something completely outside the context of the TL.

If this timeline was going to expand to take in the whole world and run to the modern day, and the election of Donald J. Trump to the Presidency became a pivotal part of the TL, then maybe I'd start crying foul.

But I've never been a butterfly zealot, so to each their own.

I really like the modern day-type snippets in general, actually. I've always thought they're a nice way to add character to a TL. :)

For what it's worth, the President Trump thing didn't really bother me much given it's just a throwaway line to something completely outside the context of the TL.

If this timeline was going to expand to take in the whole world and run to the modern day, and the election of Donald J. Trump to the Presidency became a pivotal part of the TL, then maybe I'd start crying foul.

But I've never been a butterfly zealot, so to each their own.

I really like the modern day-type snippets in general, actually. I've always thought they're a nice way to add character to a TL. :)

I will not be going all the way to present day. The timeline will end with Prince Henry’s death and then have a few posts afterward in epilogue. I’ll finally answer the question about the “Last Dynasties.” And I am glad you like it :)

Section Ninety-One - 1577
“The Scottish Isolation Years ended with a bang. The invading Imperial Forces skirted English shores and landed on Scotland’s beaches. This took everyone by surprise; after all the Hapsburgs’ main complaint was with England and the Tudors, not Scotland. The English forces were all in the south and the Scottish had barely mustered.

While the English divided their forces, part to stay south and part to head north, and the Scottish mustered their forces, a significant source of concern for both England and Scotland was the safety of Princess Margaret and Prince Edmund—for the English—and Prince James and Princess Margaret—for the Scottish and Irish. With the Imperial forces so close to both young couples’ locations, arrangements would need to be made.

After some quick negotiation, Princess Margaret & Prince Edmund and Prince James & Princess Margaret were sent to Ireland, where the four young future monarchs would wait out the war with Countess Elizabeth FitzGerald. [1]
While there was certainly an age difference—Princess Margaret of Wales was fifteen, Prince Edmund was sixteen, Princess Margaret was thirteen, and Prince James was eight—the four would form close bonds that ensured Scotland would never return to complete isolation.”
Maximillian Green, “Scotland, the Isolation Years”​

[1] Born Elizabeth Hamilton, the Countess was the aunt of Margaret of Wales through her father and the great-aunt of both Prince James and Princess Margaret through their shared grandfather.

“While not a particularly popular trend, the Third Succession War was dubbed Margarets’ War by a selection of Scottish nobles, and “In Defense of Princess Margaret” was a rallying cry used by both English and Scottish. [1] This was due to a not insignificant fraction of Scottish nobles viewing Princess Margaret Stuart as the true heir of James VI, as the only child of his brother. These individuals believed that James Stewart (formally Seamus) was truly a bastard. But as he was betrothed to who they viewed as the true heir (no one wanted Princess Marjorie’s Spanish daughter as heir) no one truly complained.”
This section is found in both Professor Laura Anderson’s text “The Stewart Queen” about Margaret of Wales and another of her texts “The Other Margaret Stewart” about Princess Margaret Stuart.​

[1] The Irish did not fight in the war, nor did they particularly care about the outcome. It would not be until partway through his reign that James VII Stewart would win the love and respect of the Irish.

“There are three Albion wars that were named after a pair of important women: Katies’ War, [1] Margarets’ War, [2] and Bridgets’ War. [3] Each of these wars were deeply affected by six of Albion’s most influential women. Even the titular Margarets, while in their teens, would impact their war. The treatise seeks to understand how these women held so much way in a time traditionally dominated by men.”
“Women Wars” Thesis Project by doctoral candidate Margaret Lawson, with Doctor Piper Nears advising​

[1] Also called the First Succession War. This war was led by Queen Catherine of Aragon on one side and Queen Kathryn Tudor on the other.
[2] Also called the Third Succession War. This war defended the rights of Princess Margaret Stuart and Princess Margaret of Wales.
[3] Also called the Last Rebellion. This war was between those who wished to divide Scotland and Ireland led by Brighid FitzGerald and the crown during the reign of Queen Bridgit Stewart.

Ooh, teenagers forming bonds to make waves in their world, I love it! Reminds me of my own beloved matriarchy project 'Lionesses'. :love:

Also 'Queen Bridgit Stewart' and 'Bridgets' War?" You've got me curious now!

Ooh, teenagers forming bonds to make waves in their world, I love it! Reminds me of my own beloved matriarchy project 'Lionesses'. :love:

Also 'Queen Bridgit Stewart' and 'Bridgets' War?" You've got me curious now!

I'm glad you like it! And I'll only be touching on the later Stewarts in the epilog, so Queen Bridgit might not get to much more detail. :/ Sorry

Section Ninety-Two - 1577
“England and Scotland were both caught off guard by the Imperial landing site. England’s forces were marshaled in the south and Scotland had only just begun to gather forces (they had attempted to gather in the harvest before sending the men to war).

As such, the Imperial forces would accrue several quick victories.”
Oliver Gotham, “Arthur and the Throne of England, Scotland, and Ireland”​

“A significant fraction of the Tudor family’s efforts early in the war were directed, not at the war, but at keeping their father/grandfather from going off to war. Prince Henry, all of eighty-six years, was determined to lead the English forces. After all, he argued, had he not led Navarre twice before, he had fought in the earlier English Succession Wars, and he was instrumental in the securing his grandson as King of Denmark and Norway. In his mind he was the best option.

The rest of the Tudors were of a different mind.

An extremely well-organized campaign staffed with the majority of the English Tudors and led by the Dowager Duchess of Suffolk [1] sought to keep him in London through a combination of flattery, bribery, and blackmail directed at the various members of Prince Henry’s household.

The Duchess of Buckingham [2] took another route and requested Prince Henry's help in managing her two eldest sons’ education. This successfully diverted Prince Henry. He fired the boys current tutor and would set about tutoring them himself while interviewing potential tutors. No tutors made it past the interview.”
Tammie Waltherson, “For the Tudors’ It’s All About Family”​

[1] Elizabeth Tudor, Prince Henry’s eldest daughter, a very formidable woman.
[2] Cecily Tudor, Prince Henry’s second youngest daughter, a very shrewd woman.

“Maggie’s War was Lord Thomas Cromwell’s time to shine. An afterthought at best and a dirty secret at worst, [1] Lord Thomas had spent most of his adult life bouncing between the households of his relations. But, due to a set of circumstances to bizarre to cover in this chapter [2] Lord Thomas was in the far North of England at the beginning of the war.

He would rouse the local nobles and form ad hoc companies to meet the oncoming Imperial armies. In the beginning his taking command was not questioned due to his connection to the Tudors; Princess Margaret was after all his niece, and his aunt. Then later as other military leaders showed up, his command was never challenged. He would lead England throughout Maggie’s War.”

[1] Remember Thomas Cromwell was born 10 months after his purported father’s death. Among the suspected list of fathers are Thomas Brandon the jure uxoris Duke of Calais and the late King Alexander Stewart. It would actually be Thomas Cromwell’s performance in Maggie’s War that would lead to the theory of King Alexander as his father.
[2] Thomas Cromwell’s Decade is found in chapter 19. It is fabulous, and I can totally recommend it. The fact that I wrote it doesn’t make me biased at all.

In his mind he was the best option.

The rest of the Tudors were of a different mind.

An extremely well-organized campaign staffed with the majority of the English Tudors and led by the Dowager Duchess of Suffolk [1] sought to keep him in London through a combination of flattery, bribery, and blackmail directed at the various members of Prince Henry’s household.

The Duchess of Buckingham [2] took another route and requested Prince Henry's help in managing her two eldest sons’ education. This successfully diverted Prince Henry. He fired the boys current tutor and would set about tutoring them himself while interviewing potential tutors. No tutors made it past the interview.”

I love this! Most of the Tudors are running around trying desperately to keep the ancient Henry safe and away from the war, and it’s not working! And then the one daughter gets the idea to distract him with a shiner new project! Great update!

Great update... I am starting to have trouble in districting in your genealogical tree (and that means who you are doing a great and very realistic job with it)